Is the GD test important? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My doctor never even offered the GD test. I did have a sonogram last week and baby is same size as all the others and I have never had GD before. But even my urine checks have been missed. I don't really care about the GD test if it is not important anyway. But can anyone tell me if it is? I am turning 41 next week. I have been contacting other OBs about switching doctors, but it has been an uphill battle (I am a vba4c so I am suspecting I will not find one). Even though I am a VBA4C, I have also had 3 vbacs already. Still, doctors don't seem to care about that. They just want to chop chop.

#2 of 9 Old 07-12-2011, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Some feel it's important, some do not.  I'm of the mind that it is not unless you have a reason to think or feel you may have it.  For instance, I have some friends that are overweight and have PCOS and for them, it's important because it is highly possible they could have it and it CAN cause problems with pregnancy and delivery.  However, for a person that is healthy, or normal weight, eats healthy, etc...I don't feel it's that important.  I've not been asked to do a GD test for my last three babies.  My current mw does a urine dip at each prenatal and if I was having sugar issues, it would show up in that.  As well as, I have my own glucose monitor and if I felt off, I could test myself.  

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#3 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 07:55 AM

If you don't feel otherwise at risk (previous history of GD, PCOS, etc) I don't feel it is really necessary. I don't refuse it because I am a 'pick your battles' sort of person. It isn't worth the fight. (non invasive really, and no harm to me or baby) However, if it wasn't offered, I wouldn't ask for it.

Now, the urine tests I think ARE important, for glucose and protein, etc. I would request those be done. I do really, really hate PIAC, but think that this is worth doing.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#4 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

I have never refused any test. I opted not to do the amnio this time. I am turning 41 next week and am over weight. But I have never had GD. I tried to ask about the urine thing last week, but the doctor had left. The visit before, they never did it either. 

I am trying to switch OBs, but since I am a VBAC, I have a feeling it will not happen. But I am thinking maybe I am a little concerned over the lack of testing because my last OB did constant testing. I mean, she went way overboard.

#5 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Apparently the urine test for proteins is important, but the sugar test I think they have decided with research is almost meaningless and isn't likely to actually show real GD or blood sugar problems. That's what I have heard. My midwife tracks both, but I think really only because both are on the same test stick.

#6 of 9 Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 PM

I think it is important. A friend had GD and she needed insulin, even though she probably weighs 100 pounds less than me and eats a very healthy diet. I have had no problems at all even though I am obese.

Being a healthy weight doesn't keep you from getting GD. You can have it without having symptoms. It can cause problems for you and the baby. 

I'm sorry you're having trouble trusting your OB :/

#7 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 11:31 AM

yes it is important. regulating your sugars can help you from having a baby that is too big to pass through your pelvis AND if you do have it when you get treated you will feel human again! YAY! Everyone that I know who had it says they are so relieved to find out why they have been feeling like hell and how much better they feel after they start treatments. Thats all I know. Good luck!

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#8 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 02:02 PM

I politely disagree that it is important. They never did this test for our mothers generation and only did it when a person was showing signs of it. I think that is how it should be. If you are showing symptoms then get it run. I am a low intervention mindset of a person though, so this is just my opinion.

I will say that I had 2 hospital births and I did do the test for the reason others mentioned, I didn't want to fight this battle. However, with a midwife we just do the urine tests, monitor my weight, belly measurements and how I feel. My MW also has me record a 3 day diet once or twice during pregnancy so she can see how I am eating and make recommendations for changes if she see too much sweets/carbs or whatever.

Anyway, I think this is something that has just become routine for routines sake at OB offices and also may have to to do with our SAD (standard American diet) with is high in carbs and sugar and can lend to problems.

THe previous poster mentioned people feeling crappy and feeling much better after, exactly! That would be an example of when to do it. And GD babies may be MUCH bigger but I again disagree with them not fitting through the pelvis. Fat squishes! Its the head and shoulder measurements that would affect that not weight itself.

Homeschooling mama to 3 Italian babies. homeschool.gif  Due with #4 on Sept. 28! Planning a rockin' Homebirth. homebirth.jpg

#9 of 9 Old 07-16-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

That would explain why he did not do the GD test. He used to own a birth center. He has midwives. He is the back up doctor for several midwives. He did a sonogram last week and the baby is consistent in size to my other babies and I never had GD before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimep View Post

I politely disagree that it is important. They never did this test for our mothers generation and only did it when a person was showing signs of it. I think that is how it should be. If you are showing symptoms then get it run. I am a low intervention mindset of a person though, so this is just my opinion.

I will say that I had 2 hospital births and I did do the test for the reason others mentioned, I didn't want to fight this battle. However, with a midwife we just do the urine tests, monitor my weight, belly measurements and how I feel. My MW also has me record a 3 day diet once or twice during pregnancy so she can see how I am eating and make recommendations for changes if she see too much sweets/carbs or whatever.

Anyway, I think this is something that has just become routine for routines sake at OB offices and also may have to to do with our SAD (standard American diet) with is high in carbs and sugar and can lend to problems.

THe previous poster mentioned people feeling crappy and feeling much better after, exactly! That would be an example of when to do it. And GD babies may be MUCH bigger but I again disagree with them not fitting through the pelvis. Fat squishes! Its the head and shoulder measurements that would affect that not weight itself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page