Tactful way to announce baby registry? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

This will be ds2 for us. With ds1 our family and friends threw us a shower and we saved just about everything. However, there are some things that we will need more of (cloth diapers), just need to replace (infant car seat) or for that matter things that we will need with two that we didn't need with one (a double stroller for next summer, because he just gets to hot to babywear for my taste).

We relocated last fall and there are two groups of women that will be at a shower for us at the end of the month. No one has really asked what we need and the one or two who did I told them about the registry and that we saved a lot from ds1. If there is anything we need it's on one of the registries (Kelly's Closet, Babies R Us, Target).

For those women English is a second language and I was told that they don't do registries, but wanted a list. I tried to explain that these stores have a list on file for what I need. I also went to the most local stores (like the tucked away baby section in Toys R Us rather than having people drive the half hour into the city to the nearest Babies R Us) and changed patterns and such to things that were readily available. For the other women, most are retired and on a fixed income.

I checked my registries this morning (haven't done it for several weeks) and nothing has been purchased. I am so afraid of getting a bunch of stuff we don't need. I really don't want disposables (but I'll use them if I have them), we don't need any clothes, blankets, burp cloths, toys, etc.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to gracefully and tactfully let people know about the registries?

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
#2 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I don't think there is a tactful way to do it.  As I say to my kids "You get what you get and you don't get upset!"  Be happy you are being showered at all for a second baby and enjoy the day/s.  Anything you MUST have, purchase yourself ie. car seat.  Otherwise, get a few things to hold you over JIC and see what happens.

#3 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I registered at MyRegistry.com and they have an "e-nounce your registry" feature that let me announce via e-cards. They also have an option that let's someone else send out the cards (or you send them in their name) in case you don't feel comfortable doing so... my sister's throwing my shower so her name appears on the e-nouncements. So far, that's the easiest, least tacky way I've found! And it might be good for your ESL ladies because it will be written down clearly and easier to understand than if you tried to explain it verbally. Plus, that can link to your registry so they will see the physical "list" which seems to be what they are looking for! GL and have fun!

#4 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 PM

I think the only tactful was is if they ask. And even if they do, that doesn't mean they'll buy what you registered for.

I'll be returning any gifts that I really can't use and hopefully I'll be able to buy some of things I need that way.

goldfish.gif Mischa 9.30.08, ribbonpb.gif Willow 7.4.10 (21 weeks), rainbow1284.gif Nate 8.27.11

#5 of 6 Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I returned a lot last time... even without a receipt many stores will let you return.. they you can buy other things! Things I didn't manage to return and I knew I would not use I donated to a shelter doing gift baskets for new mothers.

#6 of 6 Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 AM

I had a short registry of very necessary items, and I told the person hosting my shower where the list could be found (myregistry.com).  The people invited to the shower who wanted to buy a gift from a registry contacted the hostess and asked if/where I was registered.  The people who didn't want to use a registry never asked and just brought what they wanted. 

I got just a few things I didn't want/need (mostly hand me down clothes anyway, so no one went to any great expense for the gifts) and I will probably donate them.

I thought it worked out because the registry was there for people who like registries, without pressuring the others to use the registry if they had another gift in mind.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page