Binsi? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody already use a Binsi birthing skirt or plan to use one?

I am waffling on whether to get one or not...I know I definitely want to use a birthing skirt after my encounter with the hospital gown in DS1's birth. I'm just not sure whether to shell out $50 for the real deal or try to fashion a knockoff (I could probably do it, but I can pretty much guarantee it would only be functional, not pretty).

The website says they are great to wear as a regular skirt before and after baby is born? Anyone have experience with this? I will be working up to the birth and going back ASAP after birth, so having a decent skirt is also attractive....
#2 of 12 Old 07-17-2011, 10:42 AM

I'm sure they're not the same thing, but right now Old Navy has a skirt I'm thinking of getting in lieu of a binsi type skirt.  

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=68131&vid=1&pid=809741&scid=809741002

They're VERY lightweight, stretchy, and comfy.  I got a pair of their fold over lounge gouchos that I've pretty much been living in all summer, and they're basically the same. (same fabric and waist and everything, just made with legs) I'd recommend checking these out before shelling out $50 or more for a binsi, especially since they're on sale for about $17 right now. :)

#3 of 12 Old 07-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With my first homebirth I bought a swim skirt to birth in since I'd planned a waterbirth.  As soon as I was really into active hard labor, that skirt went flying.  Not only did I not care about people seeing my butt, but more importantly, that skirt rested right along the line of my pelvis that felt like it was on fire with every contraction and i wanted NOTHING touching me there!  My second homebirth, I didn't even bother.  I wore my pajamas until time to get into the water and again I just birthed in  a sports bra and that was it.  Same plan this time around as well.  I do still use that swim skirt for the pool when I pg though.  :)

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#4 of 12 Old 07-17-2011, 03:11 PM

I am a nekkid hospital birther, but I do like to "start out" in clothes LOL

I got a binsi skirt on sale when I was pregnant with my third and I have to say, it really did rock.  With dd1 I wore a stretchy sport bra and nothing else, with dd2 I started out in a stretchy sports bra and a wonderfully comfy/stretchy maternity skirt from Target.  With ds I planned on making a binsi style skirt but found that binsi on sale and ended up wearing it and a sports bra in early labor.  Which is my plan this time round too.

Pros: The binsi really is comfy.  I probably wouldn't wear it much while pregnant just because it's a bit shorter than I like my skirts to be for general daily wear (I prefer that a skirt hit where the calf starts to narrow, the binsi hits much more at the knee) and also because I prefer fuller/swingier/twirlier skirts... the binsi is a heavier cotton and while it hangs nicely it doesn't drape the way I prefer for street wear.  I DID wear it a lot postpartum though because the way it's designed lets you lift the back without rumpling up the front/sides so I could sit directly on a chux or big ol pile of cloth prefolds without looking like that's what I was doing!  LOL

The construction is really solid.  If this is the style of skirt you like, then it's a skirt that will last a while!  And since it has a drawstring it is very size-forgiving... it's going to look more or less like it looks on the models no matter how big or small you get.  I was using it over swinsuits and as a "quick throw together" type outfit on days when the laundry wasn't done and I needed to go out.  Sort of the skirt version of sweats?

Cons: The price!  I rarely buy new clothing (underclothes and socks are just about it, and even then I shop sales) and the thought of buying an item that cost that much and might be worn only for a few hours makes my heart cringe!  But kind of like with a wedding or special event outfit... if having a special, pretty, birth specific outfit will help you relax and enjoy your birth it's probably worth it.  I know it gave me a psychological boost to put it on, even though I took it off an hour or so later to get into the tub.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#5 of 12 Old 07-17-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieMama View Post

I'm sure they're not the same thing, but right now Old Navy has a skirt I'm thinking of getting in lieu of a binsi type skirt.  

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=68131&vid=1&pid=809741&scid=809741002

They're VERY lightweight, stretchy, and comfy.  I got a pair of their fold over lounge gouchos that I've pretty much been living in all summer, and they're basically the same. (same fabric and waist and everything, just made with legs) I'd recommend checking these out before shelling out $50 or more for a binsi, especially since they're on sale for about $17 right now. :)

That is funny- I bought that skirt this spring and recently decided that I was going to wear it for the birth.  It is just as comfortable as it looks :)

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#6 of 12 Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Hmmm... I have seen this, but it never occurred to me that I would wear ANYTHING when giving birth at home. It just seemed to me to be one of the many reasons for birthing at home... being naked.

Moo.

#7 of 12 Old 07-18-2011, 03:27 PM

I do think birth specific items like the binsi are aimed more at hospital or birth center births... but I know many home birthers who would not go naked even in their own homes (due to religious or social convictions), especially if a midwife or older children were present.

But then, public (or semi public) nudity has never been an issue for me, especially not in birth.  And I figure even if it was, the staff on a L&D floor have seen it all and then some.  LOL

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 12 Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 PM

I can remember looking at the Binsi skirts before dd was born and thought that a special outfit for birth was crazy. I wore my own nightgown for the birth, and after dd was born, took it off to breast feed. This time around, I'll probably buy the binsi skirt and tank top/bra thingy, it just seems more practical and pretty for pictures. I'm giving birth in the hospital, and may have a friend there to take care of dd as well, so I'd prefer to be somewhat covered. I just wish it was a little cheaper!

#9 of 12 Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great pro/con list, wombat! It was very helpful.

I do not forsee wanting to be naked since I'll be in the hospital.... So I'd probably use it the whole time.

One more question, wombat--is the fabric one which hangs on to wetness and sticks to you? I'm kinda worried about soaking it and then not wanting to put it back on, tho I actually don't remember needing to change my hossy gown in 36 hours of very wet labor (I had an amnio infusion going...), so maybe that's irrational.

The old navy skirt looks super comfy, tho I'm not sure it would be as accommodating of all the super "unladylike" positions since it's not split. I think I might need one anyway tho!
#10 of 12 Old 07-20-2011, 12:07 PM

I pulled it out of the drawer to check... the lable says "60% cotton, 36% rayon, 4% spandex" and it's lighter in weight than I remember it being (not "twirly" but not heavy-heavy either). I didn't wear it into the tub, but I think it would dry pretty quickly. It might stick to your legs when wet though since it /is/ lighter than I recall, but I don't know for sure. Maybe I'll wear it to our "wed at the sprinkler park" picnic next week and let everyone know how it does!

#11 of 12 Old 07-20-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, an experiment, sounds great! I will look forward to the report. thumb.gif

#12 of 12 Old 07-21-2011, 03:42 PM

i have one that i bought for our hb with ds.  i like to be pretty well covered-i wore the binsi and a nursing camisole in the tub.  i think it allowed easy access for my midwife and i didn't feel all exposed.  thinking back, though, i didn't change into it until about 1/2 hour before ds was born and then it came off pretty quickly thereafter, once i got out of the tub.  i probably wouldn't spend the $50 again, just for a half hour of use.  i haven't worn it once this pregnancy, either.  hmmm...maybe time to drag it out ;)

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page