~*Chat Thread for July 18-24th*~ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, were flying through July now.  I just got back from being at the lake with my IL's and their 7 grandkids.  OMG.  I'm so glad to be home.  I think a long weekend would have been enough and I think my ds picked up some bad habits from my BIL's kids.  There was drama from those girls every day.  Sheesh.  Anyway, I got to go on a nice and somewhat scary boat ride with my FIL for a pregnant lady, but saw several aligators when he took me down one of the creeks that feeds the lake, that was cool.  My ds got to show me how he rode the tube on the back of the boat too, very fun.

Anyway, braxton hicks contractions were awful on Friday night and yesterday when I watched Harry Potter in the movie theater.  Friday I think because of the full moon.  Hey, I can hope they make me go into labor in September, though it might be a thunderstorm that will do it.  They have been really painful at times.  I see my midwife tomorrow and hoping its ok, I think I need to rest more in the afternoon and take it easy and not over do it.  Lots of movement too.  Feels like she is flipping around all the time.

Dh has 3 interviews this week and were hoping he gets an offer on one of them.  We really wanted to move back to MI, but the job he interviewed up there for didn't work out.greensad.gif  Maybe something else will come along.

How are you mamas doing this week?

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#2 of 25 Old 07-19-2011, 05:51 AM

Welcome back Cathy!  I think a full week with my family would be enough to drive me batty.  I love my family, but a weekend at a time is pleny.  ;)  Glad you had fun, and I hope DS breaks any bad habits he picked up quickly.

The BH contractions have been worse for me some days, too.  I haven't had any in the past few days, but last week they were pretty plentiful.  Nothing painful, though.  The doctor told me as long as I'm not having 6 or more contractions per hour, all is okay. 

My belly grew a lot last week - I outgrew some shirts... but I lost 1/2 a pound, go figure. 

Only 10 weeks left (less for a lot of you)!  I'm 30 weeks today.  I can't believe it's so close! 

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#3 of 25 Old 07-19-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Dh confessed he's feeling kinda blah about this pregnancy, but I think its because its his first and when she is born he'll feel different because she not in the contained, fed and everything in the belly anymore.  He really wants a job too before she is born.  It's just the way it is right now. 

My intestines don't like me today and I'm just so tired all the time now.  I do remember being so tired at the end of my ds's pregnancy, but sheesh.  I'm just not ready for it.  Where is my nesting energy?  I feel like I don't care if my midwife comes when my house is a mess.  I have an appt. with her at 2pm today.  I will just be glad to see her.  Plus I've been gone for a week and didn't really have time to get ready, but I guess I could have asked dh to keep up on it, oh well.  I was on vacation right?  lol.gif  With 7 kids, 3 or 4 of which were very dramatic and then MIL and SIL occasionally having it out.  orngtongue.gif  Really, a long weekend there would have been good.  Sorry, I'm a big complainer today, I want someone to come take care of me.  I'm pooped.  I was even wishing my mom had surgically removed the cancer cut out of her when it was small those so many years ago so she would still be alive.  Sigh....  I miss my mama. 

I'm just happy ds is playing quietly by himself and actually being really good this am. 

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#4 of 25 Old 07-19-2011, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

The heat has been terrible here too... feeling like 40C. On Saturday morning we went to a local sale/petting zoo and I didn't feel like moving. Planted myself in the shade. Felt way more like myself after lots of water. I've been having more calf cramps too.. ouch. Other than that life is fine. I can still sort of lay on my back without it hurting for a while, but don't sleep like that. I just switched matresses and the other one is MUCH more comfortable.. softer on my hips.

MUST remember to drink more water!

I'm 33+2 weeks now.. it's feeling so close to the end. I MUST start my hypnobabies again.. I did it last pregnancy but am having so much trouble finding time this go around.

#5 of 25 Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 AM

I'm glad you had a good time, even if parts were icky!  And finger's crossed for a good job with all the benefits you need!  :)

It's hot as heck here, and humid too.  The temps should be in the 90-100 range with daily mini-showers that will do nothing but make the humidity worse.  I've never been a big fan of hot/humid weather (humidity and I just don't get along) so this is going to be a looooooong week.  I do have the kiddie pool inflated though and the kids have been splashing in it every afternoon... I generally let them in it around 3 when the side of the hosue provides shade, and then let them play for an hour or so till they turn blue.  Then I throw them into the shower and they put on pajamas.  That means that when dh gets home we can have dinner and more or less toss the kiddos right into bed.  It's been nice since I've been getting to bed before 10!  The only bad part is that the heat/humidity work to keep me uncomfy and not really asleep until closer to midnight.  But at least it's quiet and I'm laying down.  LOL

I bought our last "baby thing" today... it's a car seat, and not the one I wanted, but we were given a gift certificate for a specific amount at Target specifically for a car seat sooooo while it is "just" an infant seat (we usually use convertible seats since those are less expensive in the long run), it's fine because it was "free" and because now that we have a minivan it's not so important that the seats all be Radians (which are very trim and were the only seats we could fit three across in our subaru).  I'll still be browsing for second hand dipes, and if someone gave us a toilet sprayer I'd be thrilled, but other than the "big sib gifts" the baby will bring and a box of newborn sposies (we sposie till the cord stub falls off and life isn't so hectic) I think we're more or less done with baby shopping!

Saw the midwives a few days ago and they're not thrilled about my camping trip, but they didn't say "don't go".  So today I pulled out fabric to start making clothing for the kiddos... this camping trip is an SCA event, so it's basically two weeks long, on 500 acres, with 25,000 people all dressed in medieval style clothing and doing medieval style stuff.  When I pulled out their clothes from last year there wasn't much I could salvage for the kiddos.  Pennsic (the event) is hard on clothes, and my kids are hard on clothes, and they've all grown!  So while we were out today I picked up a few cotton curtains at the thrift store and I'll whip up a few tunics for each kiddo.  Or I'll try.  Right now I don't have the energy to stand up, let along measure/cut/sew.

A lot more contractions... and I'm pretty sure AppleBelle-y is experimenting with dropping/staying engaged... every so often she'll cram herself down low for a few hours and UGH!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#6 of 25 Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Question for those that have done this before from a newbie (I know, I'm full of questions):  In the past few days (and once that I can remember last week), sometimes when the baby moves, I swear I can feel either pressure or twitches, or something, in my vagina area.  Is this normal?  It kind of freaks me out.  I keep thinking that he shouldn't be THAT low yet!  Thanks!

#7 of 25 Old 07-20-2011, 12:27 PM

I *think* I am experiencing the same thing you are, today I felt the baby do a pretty major movement (like flip from one side to the other) while I was walking and it was a crazy feeling. Every time he does a bigger movement like that or crams his head low into my pelvis I hope that everything stays as it is (I half think about my water breaking!) because it feels like the baby's so low and putting a lot of pressure on my pelvis! I am only 30 weeks too. This is my third though so I wonder if things are more open for him to be able to engage more easily, although I wouldn't expect him to engage for a few weeks yet!!

#8 of 25 Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 AM

I'd double check with your care provider, but in general yes... as baby gets bigger and puts more pressure on the nerves and muscles in the pelvic area women often feel kind of funky "zings/twinges/aches" in the groin.  Sensations that are something like hitting your funny bone, a stitch in your side, and the tingle when a limb has "fallen asleep" and is starting to buzz back into action all mixed into one swift punch.  Not much fun.  But really common.

And often in a first pregnancy a babe will engage and stay engaged as the birth nears, with later babes they'll engage and then pop out again since they've got more wiggle room... often they wont engage and "stay that way" till the birth begins and the muscles more actively push the babe down.  Which drives me batty!

It is soooooo hot... today's plan is to sit by the window a/c unit and then just keep sitting there.  Well, the kiddos probably wont go for that plan, but I can hope!  There is an "extreme heat warning" and I think I actually woke up dehydrated... all night I was dripping with sweat and this morning I felt like I was going to fall over or throw up or something equally unpleasant.  I guess we'll bust through our chores as quickly as possible, maybe go into town to pick up cold drinks and ice cream, and then I'll tempt the kiddos into being couch potatoes so that I can be one too.  LOL  Hmmmm... that doesn't sound very "good mommy", but oh well! 

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#9 of 25 Old 07-21-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValH View Post

Question for those that have done this before from a newbie (I know, I'm full of questions):  In the past few days (and once that I can remember last week), sometimes when the baby moves, I swear I can feel either pressure or twitches, or something, in my vagina area.  Is this normal?  It kind of freaks me out.  I keep thinking that he shouldn't be THAT low yet!  Thanks!

I can feel the babe kick my cervix every once in awhile, which is always a weird feeling.  Or I guess it would be punch because she is head down.

Yes, blah the heat is awful.  The index is in the 100's and its was 95 or more today.  We stayed at the IL's today with their very nice air conditioning and big roomy house for ds to run around in while I lounged, made cookies and did laundry.  It was very nice. 

My midwife appt. on Tuesday everything looked good.  I'm measuring about a week ahead.  HB was 140, BP was good and all that.  I love my midwife and I'm just waiting for my OB appt. next week to give me the green light for a homebirth.  Last ultrasound to make sure babe is not growing too fast and we should be good to go.  My ds is so excited to see his baby sister on the monitor. 

Oh, and I found that remembering to drink my pregnancy tea helps with the BH contractions.  Much better now.

#10 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 04:11 AM

Thanks for the info on the weird sensations I was having.  After doing some ever-reliable (sarcasm) Google research, i'm pretty sure it's normal.  I'm guessing he's just pushing against my cervix or some odd nerve endings down there. 

Cathy - Glad you were able to enjoy the AC.  This heat is just unbearable.  And thanks for the reminder about drinking and BH contractions!  I had noticed the correlation, but sometimes forget how much I really need to be drinking in this weather.

I hope everyone else has a great weekend!  We're heading to the beach today for a few days away.  I think we both just need a break from reality!

#11 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Is anyone else having trouble sleeping.  Between 3-5am I just can't sleep and then the babe kicks like crazy at that hour too and I can't find a comfy position.  It was only happening when I took a nap, but now even without a nap during the day its been happening.

I just wish it would rain, this heat sucks.  Supposed to be hotter today.  Ugh.

#12 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 08:04 AM

I think we are getting to the miserable part of a late summer pregnancy...  I can't sleep well either. Can't find a way to get comfortable!!  And waking up every couple hours to pee or change positions or it's too hot or baby is kicking...

I have this nagging pain that wraps around my right side which seems to be caused by ribs stretching and gravity (had it last pregnancy too). Feels like someone trying to pry ribs apart with a butter knife. The only relief is to find someone with a pool where I can be lighter for an hour!

The docs/midwives keep telling me I am measuring small though I feel so big and HEAVY! This babe is a mover and loves to nuzzle her head against my cervix resulting in those weird shooting pains/sensations. I feel like she is trying to get OUT -- worried that she is going to come early before I can stop working and have some days to rest/nest/cook big batches of food for freezer. 

My last one was 2 weeks early -- anyone have an early babe then a late/on-time one?  does that ever happen?

Mama to two sweet girls!

#13 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 AM

Yes!! I don't know if I really slept last night at all. It seemed like every time I closed my eyes, I had to get back up to pee, or change position, or my son woke up, or something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBean View Post

The docs/midwives keep telling me I am measuring small though I feel so big and HEAVY! This babe is a mover and loves to nuzzle her head against my cervix resulting in those weird shooting pains/sensations. I feel like she is trying to get OUT -- worried that she is going to come early before I can stop working and have some days to rest/nest/cook big batches of food for freezer. 

This. OMG. This is exactly how I'm feeling. I'm measuring right on, but my midwife said that the baby doesn't really feel that big. Not as big as it looks, is what I assume she meant because I definitely look huge. I'm so ready for this to be over, but I'm terrified of her coming early because I feel like there's so much I still need to do! Specifically, get my birth supplies together. I'm prepared for the baby, but I have nothing ready for the actual birth. 

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#14 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Are we living parallel lives?  My daughter (usually a great sleeper) was up peeping all night with sniffles keeping her awake. So if it wasn't one thing, it was ANOTHER!!!!   

I have to laugh when I can at our situation b/c just a few weeks ago we were (mostly) feeling good. Now all of the sudden I guess it's baby growth spurt time b/c there have been times when my body just shuts down and I can't keep my eyes open. Trying to play doll house w/ DD and sleep is just overcoming me like a wet blanket...  And I can practically SEE my belly growing before my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

Yes!! I don't know if I really slept last night at all. It seemed like every time I closed my eyes, I had to get back up to pee, or change position, or my son woke up, or something!

This. OMG. This is exactly how I'm feeling. 

Mama to two sweet girls!

#15 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Glad to know I'm not the only one with sleep issues this week.  I'm up every two hours like clockwork for the bathroom, and then I've been having trouble getting back to sleep.  I'm actually having to lay down on the couch after getting ready for work before I leave for work because I'm that tired.  I'm hoping to get in a lot of naps this weekend!  Besides the sleep issues, and the unbearable heat, life is good.  ;)

#16 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBean View Post

I have this nagging pain that wraps around my right side which seems to be caused by ribs stretching and gravity (had it last pregnancy too). Feels like someone trying to pry ribs apart with a butter knife. The only relief is to find someone with a pool where I can be lighter for an hour!

I'm just starting to feel my ribs on my left side separate, its really apparent when she kicks me there.  I think the end of my last pregnancy I took a bath twice a day to get the weight off of me. 

#17 of 25 Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 PM

Cathy we have lots of rain and poor weather if you want some ;) 

ValH I can feel the cervix punching/pushing/kicking/whatever it is.  And it can be painful at times... which I imagine is normal? 

SeaBean - My first two were 2+ weeks early, so I am wondering the same thing.  Almost a little worried this will be my first due date baby.  I am already getting uncomfortable because of my pelvis giving me issues, and the normal feeling huge!!  I also get the uncomfortableness around my ribs, but i don't know if its quite as painful as you are describing - yikes!!!  

Bignerpie - I have been having a hard time falling asleep at night, and then waking up way too frequently to pee!!  lol

wombatclay - I think we are allowed to entice the children to be couch potatoes once in a while since we are pregnant ;)  lol Plus they are probably fun days for the kids too getting to cuddle with mommy on the couch!!

Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

#18 of 25 Old 07-23-2011, 06:28 AM

Hang in there hot mamas!  ;) 

I've been having DH move out window a/c unit to "follow me"... it's in the living room during the day, then the bedroom at night.  I feel bad since the two rooms are on different floors and getting the a/c up and down is a royal pain, but without the a/c up in the loft the temps there stay in the 90s and I can't sleep in the couch sooooo.... 

I am SO puffy and swollen right now.  It's uniform (nothing is "more puffy") and I don't have any other "warning signs" so I'm sure it's just the heat and advancing pregnancy (entering my 34th week tomorrow).  But it's uncomfortable, and ugly, and oh yeah, really uncomfortable!  My clothes are once again too small... I started this pregnany in a Small, am currently in Large, and it's pretty clear I should be checking the thrift stores for XLarge.  I'm not amused.  :p

Sleeping though is actually going pretty well... I broke down and got one of those pregnancy specific pillows and OMG it's wonderful.  The brand I got is called something like a Snoogle or Snoodle or something like that and it's sort of a really long "C" shape.  I had been trying to keep lots of pillows piled up but DS would steal them, or they'd fall off the bed as I moved, or they were just too plain hot for the weather.  This thing has replaced my regular pillow (the top curve of the C) and provides belly/back support and knee/hip alignment all in one.  I should have gotten one of these ages ago, and I think I'll never go back to a normal pillow... I'll just get one of these every year.  LOL  It was almost 50 dollars though, so I'm really glad it's working because otherwise I'd be kicking myself for wasting that much on a pillow!  But between the pillow, the a/c unit, and the hypnobabies tracks I'm not sleeping any worse than I was last month.

I've told DH I need to get a better pair of shoes though.  With the swelling and the weight gain my feet are usually killing me by evening.  I need something with /serious/ arch support...

#19 of 25 Old 07-23-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingBaby View Post

Cathy we have lots of rain and poor weather if you want some ;)

I would love to have your weather at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Hang in there hot mamas!  ;) 

Sleeping though is actually going pretty well... I broke down and got one of those pregnancy specific pillows and OMG it's wonderful.  The brand I got is called something like a Snoogle or Snoodle or something like that and it's sort of a really long "C" shape.  I had been trying to keep lots of pillows piled up but DS would steal them, or they'd fall off the bed as I moved, or they were just too plain hot for the weather.  This thing has replaced my regular pillow (the top curve of the C) and provides belly/back support and knee/hip alignment all in one.  I should have gotten one of these ages ago, and I think I'll never go back to a normal pillow... I'll just get one of these every year.  LOL  It was almost 50 dollars though, so I'm really glad it's working because otherwise I'd be kicking myself for wasting that much on a pillow!  But between the pillow, the a/c unit, and the hypnobabies tracks I'm not sleeping any worse than I was last month.

I slept better with dh home last night, maybe that's all I needed.winky.gif  Thank goodness he is home because being without the air conditioned car was awful in this heat.  100 yesterday.  Ugh.  He'll be leaving with it on Sunday again for another interview on Sunday and be back Tuesday, luckily MIL will be home by then and can take me to my appt. if dh needs to meet me there.  His interview Tuesday didn't go so well, but the one on Thursday went really well, so we'll see.  The one on Monday is in West Virginia.

#20 of 25 Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

The one on Monday is in West Virginia.

Yay! WV!

I'm originally from Maryland, but I've lived in WV for 8 years. I love it here! orngbiggrin.gif

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#21 of 25 Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 AM

Wombat- those pillows are soooo wonderful. I have one that was passed on to me from a friend and it really helps!

My friend visited yesterday with her new baby boy (he's 2.5 weeks old) and I held him and snuggled and rocked and walked with him for over an hour and now I am ready for mine. LOL! The next 5 weeks wont go by quickly enough!  Except that I'm going to have do some arms workouts... I forgot how quickly carrying an 8 lb baby around can make your arms tired!

I've been feeling very couch potato-y as well.. it's just the heat & being pregnant i think. Not a lot of humidity here in arizona (except on thunderstorm days) but the temps are still 105-110 all week, with lows in the mid 80's. I weedeated my backyard on wednesday and it was just tooooo much. I had BH contractions all afternoon after that. No more yard work for me. It seems my only excercise is up & down the stairs and getting in my 10,000 steps (dh's work incentive- 10,000 steps for 6 weeks and they'll deposit money to our HSA!) ...

Hope you all are enjoying a great weekend!

treehugger.gif

#22 of 25 Old 07-23-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

Yay! WV!

I'm originally from Maryland, but I've lived in WV for 8 years. I love it here! orngbiggrin.gif

Very cool.  I'm not exactly sure where it is.  I will have to ask.

#23 of 25 Old 07-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I've totally popped... the last week I am bumping everything and everyone with my belly. It's quite funny.

It's still over 30C here but getting cool at night.

Time to name my daughter!

#24 of 25 Old 07-24-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh glorious rain.  The windows are open and its raining and has been for a couple hours now.  So nice and the garden is watered.

I had a lot of intestinal pain today that really sucked the life out of me.  I'm so glad to be feeling better and being cooler helps.  It really started heating up before the storm started and it was overwhelmingly hot and sticky.  I felt bad for not being able to eat very much at lunch today.  I have not been able to eat much at meal times and right before bed like I used to and have a feeling my weight is going down and my OB is going to be freaking out about it.  Hopefully my last time seeing him is on Tuesday.

#25 of 25 Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

Oh glorious rain.  The windows are open and its raining and has been for a couple hours now.  So nice and the garden is watered.

I had a lot of intestinal pain today that really sucked the life out of me.  I'm so glad to be feeling better and being cooler helps.  It really started heating up before the storm started and it was overwhelmingly hot and sticky.  I felt bad for not being able to eat very much at lunch today.  I have not been able to eat much at meal times and right before bed like I used to and have a feeling my weight is going down and my OB is going to be freaking out about it.  Hopefully my last time seeing him is on Tuesday.

We are waiting for the rain. It is so very dry here. Hopefully we will get a good soaking tomorrow evening/night! praying.gif Everything is dusty and starting to brown. I have to water the gardens every evening.

I am not able to eat much in the heat, either. Watermelon, cucumbers, ice cream, lemonade, salads...That's about it. I have only gained 11 lbs with this pregnancy, so far. None this past week. No one is concerned because all is going well (I consistently measure 3/4 weeks ahead) and I am healthy.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page