Quick thoughts on names - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-22-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I feel this little girl will never have a name.  LOL

Any thoughts on these names that have been running through my head. They are kind of unusual and I'm not sure if they will grow on me or I will start hating them. With DD, she was named Olivia for 4 or 5 days then I really didn't like it. LOL Now she's Lillian (Lilly)

Paulette (Polly)

Maren or Marit

Hazel

I like Josephine (Josie) kind of.. I really like multi-syllable names -- or the idea of them -- I haven't found one that I like that is not too popular. Rather avoid the "top 10" list

thanks, ladies!!

Mama to two sweet girls!

#2 of 8 Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 AM

sounds like we have similar tastes :)

Josephine (Josie) is at the top of our list, and I really like Maren (we have a Maren in the family), I also love Hazel and Polly (not so much Pauline),

I'm really of no help...lol

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#3 of 8 Old 07-22-2011, 11:44 AM

We are naming our new baby Hazel. love.gif

My good friend has a Josephine (Josie) and a Beatrice (Bea).

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#4 of 8 Old 07-22-2011, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I really like all your name choices, but I LOVE Polly. You never hear that anymore and it's just such a sweet name. But it doesn't seem likely that you'll go wrong with those names you have picked.

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#5 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 06:46 AM

I think they're all great (and the name we picked for AppleBelle-y is very very VERY similar to one of them  lol).  Do you ever use Behind the Name?  It's one of my favorite baby name sites.  For each name they give the normal meaning and all that, but they also link to the name's place in the popularity graphs, reader poll comments on the name, and similar names.  It's the "similar" name feature I really like because I'll often be thinking of a name with a certain "sound" but not be sure what that name is... so, for instance, with this babe we wanted to honor by dad (John) but we didn't want to use Jane or Joan.  But by following the links we eventually found Giovanna.  Which is what we're going with for her middle name.

Oh, the local dance studio here is run by two (twin) sisters named Polly and Holly.  :) 

We have a lot of "nature" names in this area too... I went to school with a (girl) Hazel and our family doctor's son is named Hazel.  My dd2 is named Rowan, dd1 attended preschool with a Willow (girl), a Zephyr (boy), a Hickory (boy), Silvanna (girl), Arvelle (girl), and a River (girl).  And classic names seem to be popular as well... Bela (girl), Emma and her twin brother Owen, Lawrence, Octavia, Edwin, Thaddeus, and Benedict.

Actually, if this babe had been a boy we were going to name him Goban (pronounced GO-van, it's an old Irish name) but Benedict was a strong front runner. I love that name!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#6 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 09:13 AM

I am drawn to Polly and Hazel. Love the names!

treehugger.gif

#7 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

WombatClay.. LOVE your names list. I am adding many to mine from it!! Zephyr is the first boys name we both like!

#8 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 PM

DDCC - couldn't resist, i just love name threads.

LOVE polly, so cute.  one of those names that works throughout life (i have a friend polly and it suits her as well as a little girl or an elderly woman, IMO).

dh, who's a high school coach, has a maren on his team (although she spells it merin).  i think it's lovely (but that may be because she's such a lovely young girl).  hazel's really cute too.  great name list!

funny that you like names with multi-syllables.  dh and i are partial to monosyllabic names and both of our children have them.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page