How is everyone measuring? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-23-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was measured by the CNM today and she says I'm measuring 30.5. She says that is small for 34 weeks. She didn't seem worried, but I'm a little concerned. 

Just wondering how everyone else is measuring?

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-23-2011, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had you been measuring normally prior to this visit? Did you fundal height increase since your last visit? In my first pregnancy, DS's IUGR was discovered when my FH hadn't increased since my last appt, so it was like 32cm at 34 weeks. I never few after that pt, and it was a case of true IUGR.

If you've been behind but steadily growing, that's why your mw isn't concerned, but if this is a sudden change in growth, I'd be concerned/seeking a 2d opinion. If there's a problem, you need to know.

To answer your question, I've been measuring about a week ahead every visit this time.
#3 of 15 Old 07-23-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

My midwife never mentioned it before. I'm not sure I remember being measured before. I had my 20 week ultrasound and nothing was brought up.

I guess I need to call her and find out if my measurements have been behind. She did mention that some people just grow small babies - and my last baby was 7lbs exactly. I will need to call her tomorrow. Thanks for the info. 

#4 of 15 Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It depends.  My mw says up to 4 cm off can be normal.  Plus, as you get further along the baby starts settling into your pelvis and goes behind the pubic bone.  Since they measure from the pubic bone up to the top of the uterus, it's not unusual to start loosing cm's toward the end.  I don't think you'd NORMALLY start that already, but I do have a friend that's about 34 weeks now that carries really low and it's normal for her.  She's on her 3rd baby, so she knows that for her, it's just how it is.  Plus, the same mw can measure you twice in a row a few seconds apart and get a different measurement.  Just depends on where she places the tape.  If your mw didn't seem concerned, then I'd take her lead on that.   Did you ask her about it?

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#5 of 15 Old 07-23-2011, 11:00 PM

I'm going in the opposite direction... measuring a few weeks ahead of where I should be, and according to my recent ultrasound, he's fully dropped with his head right on my cervix, although thank heavens it's still very much closed. :) I was worried he'd be huge since he's measuring larger... or come as early as the third week in August, but my midwife assured me that he's the perfect size for me, and that measurements can be off by as many as three weeks in either direction.

Moo.

#6 of 15 Old 07-23-2011, 11:10 PM

I'm measuring two weeks behind (though the baby looks healthy). They want to move by due date to October 11 (from Sep. 28). By that logic, I found out I was pregnant before I was pregnant... I deliver early anyway, or at least have 3 of 3 babies so far, so I'm sure that will happen again.

#7 of 15 Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 AM

At 32ish weeks I was measuring 28cm.  So, I'm measuring behind as well. 

With my first two, I measured just about exactly on the entire time.  They both weighed a little under 8# at birth.  Number 3, I measured behind the entire time.  I think i was 36cm at 40weeks.  Totally expecting a smallish baby.  He was 9#4 and 22in.  Not sure where all that baby was hiding. 

So, I definetely am taking the "measuring small" thing in stride this time around.

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#8 of 15 Old 07-24-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Called my mw this morning and she said I have been measuring small the entire pregnancy. I was also measuring small with my first, so she's not worried at all.

CamilleBethany - that's crazy! Can't believe they are moving your due date!

#9 of 15 Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post

Thanks guys. Called my mw this morning and she said I have been measuring small the entire pregnancy. I was also measuring small with my first, so she's not worried at all.

CamilleBethany - that's crazy! Can't believe they are moving your due date!

Yah! Glad for you that it this pregnancy's "normal" and not a change.
#10 of 15 Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 PM

I measured 31cm last week, at 30 weeks. My midwife checked my records from last time and I was measuring 30.5 at the same point in my last pregnancy. So I am consistent with last time, sounds like you are too.

#11 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

CamilleBethany that is crazy! By the new date if you gave birth at 38 weeks for your original estimated due date you would be so early they would be worried about the babys health! Are you going to let them change it? It seems a little odd if you already knew at that time that you were pregnant.

It's funny my midwife wanted a dating ultrasound, but we had literally only had sex ONCE in months... so I knew the exact date (give or take a day for sperm staying alive a while) and she was confused how I could think I knew the date. It took her a few minutes to process it... then she got it. So I skipped the ultrasound with her blessing.

I read into the science of fundal height last pregnancy, and after 20 weeks it's not considered accurate.. so it's crazy it's still so heavily used.

#12 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Same here Happy Monkey. We dtd like once in 3 months bag.gif 

When we found out we were like "well, how did that happen?"

We had been ttc for 3 months previously, and then we moved back into our home after almost a year of mold remediation. We thought we would be moving into a mold free home. Boy were were wrong. So we decided to take care of the mold and then ttc. Well, I guess God had other plans for us! My DH still talks about himself having the"magic bullet".. lol! 

#13 of 15 Old 07-29-2011, 05:16 PM

so does it just mean the baby may be smallish?  

#14 of 15 Old 07-30-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

so does it just mean the baby may be smallish?  

Not necessarily. Sometimes it's just mom's build or baby's position, or a combo. I measured 32 cm at my 36 weeks visit with my son, and he was born a few days later at 7lb 2 oz; which is pretty big for not even term yet.

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#15 of 15 Old 07-30-2011, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

I measured 37 at my 34.5 week appointment.. my MW considered that completely normal.

My first baby was born at 40+1 at 9lb 3 oz. Bigger babies run in both our families.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page