GBS avoidance regimen has begun! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I just started doing a few things that I hope might give me a negative GBS test in a few weeks. I'm having a hospital birth this time (had a homebirth with DD - after testing positive for GBS, I did a Hibiclens wash when labor started) and I'm *really* not into antibiotics. 

I'm trying the following: 

* Gr8 dophilus (probiotic) pill 3x/day (although I'm still not convinced that taking pills orally will affect my vaginal flora)

* Garlic inserted vaginally for a week prior to the test

Anyone else trying anything different or have other ideas as to what might work? 

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#2 of 16 Old 07-26-2011, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Here's the regimen my mw gave me to do.  

Quote:

Here is the protocol for GBS

Herbal Treatments to Eliminate GBS

GBS is a bacteria present in the bodies of about 30% of healthy adults. There are natural treatments to help eliminate GBS and restore healthy balance to the body. These herbs strengthen your immune system and help to restore normal vaginal flora. You may choose to do some, or all, of the following remedies. Doing so will increase the chance of testing GBS negative and avoiding antibiotics in labor.

Acidophilus / probiotics, 4-6 capsules per day, or eat a lot of plain cultured yogurt every day.
500 mg of vitamin C every day. 
Echinacea - tincture, capsule, or tea, as directed on product. 
Bee Propolis, as directed on product. 
Eat a lot of fresh garlic every day. 

Ways to Garlic Down if you prefer not to cook with it:
~ Chop a clove of fresh garlic and mix with a teaspoon of honey. Swallow this without chewing it.

~ Make a garlic elixir by blending 1/2 cup of honey, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, and a bulb of fresh garlic. Take 1/2 teaspoon up to twice a day or mix with olive oil and use as a salad dressing or bread dip.

~Take garlic perles (over the counter) according to the dosage on the brand you purchase.

Remember you want to BE GBS negative, not just test negative. So if you try any remedies to avoid GBS you must continue to do so until your baby comes.

I already took PB8 14 billion probiotic 2-3 pills daily, plus a Garlic Complex so all I did was add the vitamin C...which I'd intended to add anyway since it helps to have a strong amniotic sac so your water doesn't break early in labor.  I took vitamin C with my last pg and my water broke one minute before baby was born.  That was sweet!  :)  I love garlic, so anything I'm cooking that I can add some extra garlic to I do.  But really, that's all I'm doing.  I don't anticipate a problem with testing + just because I've long since made it a priority to have a good gut flora and am very conscience about sugars and yeast overgrowth in the gut and stuff and making sure my gut is in good health.  Which also affects the bacteria of the whole body.  So, I think I'll be ok.  I've actually never tested for GBS before, but I am this time out of politeness to my mw as she's new in the field and she asked me nicely to please do it so in case of transfer it would be one less harrassment to deal with.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#3 of 16 Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 AM

Beginning my GBS regimen here as well. MW will test me at 36/37 weeks. Here's what she told me to do:

- Vitamin C

- Zinc

-probiotics

Happy supplementing!!

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#4 of 16 Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 AM

On the GBS prevention wagon too.  Probably getting the test today when I go to my u/s appt. with my back-up OB.  Here's to good test results.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#5 of 16 Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 AM

Yep, I have been taking garlic, echinacea, vitamin C, and probiotics for the last week, too. I tested negative during my pregnancy with DS, but I do not want to risk having to go the IV antibiotic route at the birthing center during labor or the baby having to be dosed after birth. I am allergic to penicillin which would further complicated that option. 

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#6 of 16 Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 AM

I read on someone's blog about doing a clorox "splash"... Anyone ever heard of this? She said it was recommended by a midwife (can not remember the name right now) to use 2 capfuls of clorox with 2 quarts of water and splash it on the "area" everyday  while showering and such. Curious what others thought. Wouldn't this kill good bacteria, also??

As far as probiotics go, I was looking at the Tummy Tuneup from Beeyoutiful.com. Has anyone used these?

Tabitha happily married to Steven - Mama to 4 little ones and another on the way!
#7 of 16 Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM

I think the most important part of the protocol above is this:

Quote:

Remember you want to BE GBS negative, not just test negative. So if you try any remedies to avoid GBS you must continue to do so until your baby comes.

I'm all in favor of systemic support, probiotics and other daily routines to ensure the best gut flora and health possible for mama and babe, but I get twitchy with suggestions that are aimed more specifically at faking out the test.  I'm not saying that anyone here is trying to "just" fake out the test of course!  But it sometimes seems like a fine line to walk, you know?

I take probiotics, vitamin C (in the form of cranberry caplets), vitamin D, and a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement every day of the year.  During pregnancy I add a general prenatal and towards the end of pregnancy EPO.  I also am pretty aggresive in treating "ickies" with garlic and sitz baths.  But I don't try to do anything "extra" just because of the testing... I want an honest negative so I can relax (I'm in the small % of women who have their water break before labor, and often 12-24 hours before contractions begin so I really want to know my status and so do my attendants!).

~~~~oh, random, but... echinacea can cause increased photosensitivity and it can affect some anesthesia medications.  Since pregnancy increases photosensitivity too it's worth being aware of, and if you end up needing medical intervention make sure you tell them you're taking echinacea so they don't give you the wrong medication!~~~~~

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

yes yes YES! i tested negative!! thank you, garlic :)

how'd everyone else do? 

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#9 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 05:24 PM

negative too.thumb.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#10 of 16 Old 08-18-2011, 11:14 AM

I'm testing next week, have been talking probiotic pearls, drinking kefir, eating garlic and avoiding sugar/yeast.  We'll see!

#11 of 16 Old 08-18-2011, 12:34 PM

Wow, I never considered all this. But I just started antibiotics for an on going sinus infection (I HATE antibiotics, but I had a major headache for 10 straight days, so I was desperate). Guess I better load up on probiotics, which I do anyway if I have to take antibiotics. But I'll be sure to add in garlic, yogurt, kefi, PB8, etc at every meal! Never been + for GBS,but you never know!

#12 of 16 Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskermommy View Post

I read on someone's blog about doing a clorox "splash"... Anyone ever heard of this? She said it was recommended by a midwife (can not remember the name right now) to use 2 capfuls of clorox with 2 quarts of water and splash it on the "area" everyday  while showering and such. Curious what others thought. Wouldn't this kill good bacteria, also??

As far as probiotics go, I was looking at the Tummy Tuneup from Beeyoutiful.com. Has anyone used these?

Yes! I love, love, love TTU from Beeutiful... and a bunch of their other products. We take the Super Dads and Moms everyday, and I take the cod liver pills. Their chlorophyl is really good, too, especially to boost your body from lack of blood after birth. I take it during pregnancy when I feel light headed and weird from what I figure is my blood supply taking a big growth spurt.

There, I'm done being a commercial. ;)

huskermommy likes this.

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to five handsome and fun boys. Looking forward to meeting our newest little one in July.
#13 of 16 Old 08-25-2011, 10:12 AM

Well, just had my appointment and got to swab myself... hope I did it right! lol  Will find out next week my results! fingers crossed...

#14 of 16 Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 AM

I have apt today for the ol' swab. yay. me. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary except make sure I keep extra clean and dry down there (wet wipes, clean dry cotton panties etc) ...I take a barrage of excellent supplements normally so I didn't go any extra miles. Never had it before with my other babies...keeping my fingers crossed! I guess everyone who did go the extra mile can use me to gauge whether it worked or not? lol! Maybe Ill take another shower before I go in!!! :-)

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#15 of 16 Old 08-26-2011, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I tested negative yahh! My midwives don't feel the need to push IV antibiotics, but I wanted it on file in case of hospital transfer. I have heard they can be quite pushy about it.

I eat garlic quite a lot, but didn't do anything other than take probiotics a few times a week (which I do every once in a while anyhow). I tested -ve last time too. Doing the test stressed me out though... worrying about the implications of a positive. I would consider some kind of treatment though if I was running a fever or something. In much of Europe they only treat GBS if your water has been broken more than 24 hours OR you start running a fever. That makes much more sense to me than treating everyone.

#16 of 16 Old 08-29-2011, 12:41 PM

darn it. tested positive. :'( not looking forward to the saline-lock but it's better than a full blown IV I suppose.  Just have to make sure I get to the hospital "in time" now... 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page