Mothering Forum banner

~*Chat Thread for August 1st - 7th*~

862 views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  wombatclay 
#1 ·
Can you believe it, we are having babies next month? Someone posted that on FB and I had to remind us all.
lol.gif
Can't wait.

Sent my ds off today, which was bittersweet. We have so much to do in the next couple weeks and then the impending birth that it will make it easier for me to pack and get ready for baby. I'm going to move in with my MIL the beginning of Oct. after the baby is born so we don't have to pay rent and then I will move up to MI with dh probably the end of October. Dh is moving on the 15th of this month, but he will be back Sept. 9th - 20th and hopefully he won't miss anything.
orngbiggrin.gif

Actually feeling pretty good. I need to go drink my pregnancy tea though and keep the b-h from driving me nuts. I'm going to drink double when the moon is full this month, it was really bad last month.
thumb.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
I've been a bit MIA here lately. Busy and stressful month for sure.

Next month!!! Holy wow. On one hand, it's like, "ALREADY?!" but on the other, "FINALLY!" I am feeling sooooo done, so uncomfortable, so ready to meet this little girl.

That will be hard with your ds and dh gone--I hope all works out smoothly for you, you do what you have to do!!!

#4 ·
It is hard to believe that we are sooo close already!! I am sometimes uncomfortable and ready for this baby to come, and sometimes I am happy and content to stay this way right up till 40wks! lol Depends on my mood!!! I am getting really impatient to find out what this baby will be though!!

Cathy - congrats to your dh for getting a new job. I hope the timing works out and he will be able to attend the birth!!

I think it is awesome that you get along with your mother in law so well that you are planning to have her at the birth and move in with her afterwards too!!!

Mamareba - I haven't ordered my birth kit yet either, I just got the supplies list and haven't been able to organize my thoughts on how to order it all yet! lol Congrats on finishing up at work, I can totally see how tiring repeating all of the pregnancy answers would be at work!

Wombatclay - sorry about your father, I would be tempted to encourage baby to come too. Hope the timing of baby's arrival works out!

Val - Sorry to hear about your mother in law.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingBaby View Post

Cathy - congrats to your dh for getting a new job. I hope the timing works out and he will be able to attend the birth!!

I think it is awesome that you get along with your mother in law so well that you are planning to have her at the birth and move in with her afterwards too!!!
Yeah, MIL is really cool. I know she will be quiet and out of the way. I mainly need her for checking my blood sugar every hour so I dh and I don't have to think about it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have her come over until after, but I really need her.

It seems like my b-h contractions are getting worse, maybe it was just the stress of ds leaving yesterday. I have outsmarted them though a little. When I need to go pee at night and I'm on my left side I roll over and immediately push myself up and then it starts so I can at least get to the bathroom while its squeezing and making me have to pee worse. Otherwise I have to stay on my right side until it subsides, which can be really hard when you have to pee. Haha b-h contractions, I have you found a way around you, sometimes!!!
lol.gif

Lots to do in the next few weeks and I want to get everything I put in the dresser for the baby out and washed and I need to go to storage and get the cloth diapers, baby scale and bjorn potties and covers since I really would like to start EC right from the beginning. I want to catch a meconium poop.

#6 ·
You know, the scary thing isn't that we're going to be having babies next month... it's that some of us will be having babies THIS month (any mama with a due date in the first week or so of Sept is technically "full term" while the calendar still says August). How's that for ACK!

LOL

I finished sewing up all the garb I need for the kiddos (and their dolls... dd1 and dd2 demanded that the groovy girls they'll be bringing to Pennsic have a dress, so one doll for each girl + one tunic for each doll = a bit more work than I planned, but a good way to use up fabric scraps). The girls have 7 gowns each, and DS has 6 long tunics, one short tunic, and a pair of pants. DH still has to try on his older garb to see if it fits (he's been working out and when he does that he developes shoulders that are SERIOUSLY big) and I need to sort through and pack 6 or 7 outfits that fit my belly. I have enough, I already checked, but I don't want to pack stuff that if bugly. LOL So I'll cull it down to a half dozen of the best "old things".

Other than clothing, I did the basic shopping, the tent and screen house are waterproofed, I assembled a wagon, and tomorrow I'll be checking the inflation on the air mattresses. We have house guests arriving the morning after our return (ACK ACK ACK!!!!!!) so I'm also trying to clean everything and get it ready for an invasion of family and friends. I'll probably clean then throw sheets over the big stuff, leave boxes of Baking Soda open in each room/fridge, run a cup or so of bleach through the washing machine and leave the door open with baking soda sprinkled in, make sure DH empties every trash/recycling bin in the house and takes everything to the dump, have him mow the lawn on Sat (before we go to MILs for, of all things, an impromptu reunion with several relatives who will be visiting Sat and the day we leave ACK ACK ACK), and prep a list of things to grab to make the house look comfy... like spritzing the mats/rugs with lavender water, sending the girls out to gather wild flowers to put on the piano and table that morning, sending DH to the store Sat morning to grab fresh fruit and food for visitors, etc.

It doesn't feel overwhelming, but I think part of that is the nesting hormones. I'm already "primed" for insane amounts of cleaning!

#7 ·
True, I thought about that after I posted it. Some babes will be coming this month.

Sounds like you will have a lot of fun. I wish I could sew like that.

I could not imagine entertaining for anyone at this point. I can't keep up on what I have now and mostly because I spend most of my time at my MIL's enjoying her ac.

Just trying to stay cool, the house is like an oven except for our bedroom. I think once dh leaves though I will be staying over at MIL's at night because I hate being alone at night if my blood sugar goes low. Just freaks me out. Plus, in case I go early, it might be nice, because last time, from the beginning, the contractions were pretty intense.

#8 ·
I wish I could sew like that too. :)

My mom, an aunt, several of my friends... they're all professional fiber artists (or they were). They can make the most amazing garments in what seems like minutes. I, on the other hand, take all day to make a dozen T tunic gowns. You take a rectangle of fabric, fold it so that the "fold" is at your shoulder and the open end is at your feet, then hem the sides so that you've made a big "T" (with a little flare at the bottom so you can walk). Finished item looks like:

______ ______

[____ ____]

| |

| |

| |

/ \

---------------

And even easier with a young child is to go to the thrift store, buy a pillowcase, cut arm holes and a head hole and throw on a belt. No sewing required! And the darn pillow cases come with all the hems nice and straight and sewn and everything! LOL It's what I did last year. This year I figured I'd be all fancy and make gowns that could be worn again/passed down through the kiddos.

~~~~~~~~~

Last night was bad- everything ached and I kept having really nasty muscle cramps. My calves would cramp and then while I was trying to relax/stretch that muscle my side would cramp. Then my hips would start screaming, or my shoulders, or my lower back. It was crazy! As if smoe evil little cramp monster was just wandering around, poking different bits in turn. This morning I feel totally drained... my muscles wont work, kind of like the day after a big gym workout? Everything hurts!

My to-do list today is pretty small though... there's a playdate at the park which might be canceled because we could have thunderstorms (oh please please, yes to thunder! I love thunder storms!) and some grocery shopping. Then checking the air mattresses and packing clothes. Which is good because I don't think I can manage much more than that!

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

I wish I could sew like that too. :)

My mom, an aunt, several of my friends... they're all professional fiber artists (or they were). They can make the most amazing garments in what seems like minutes. I, on the other hand, take all day to make a dozen T tunic gowns. You take a rectangle of fabric, fold it so that the "fold" is at your shoulder and the open end is at your feet, then hem the sides so that you've made a big "T" (with a little flare at the bottom so you can walk). Finished item looks like:

______ ______

[____ ____]

| |

| |

| |

/ \

---------------

And even easier with a young child is to go to the thrift store, buy a pillowcase, cut arm holes and a head hole and throw on a belt. No sewing required! And the darn pillow cases come with all the hems nice and straight and sewn and everything! LOL It's what I did last year. This year I figured I'd be all fancy and make gowns that could be worn again/passed down through the kiddos.

~~~~~~~~~

Last night was bad- everything ached and I kept having really nasty muscle cramps. My calves would cramp and then while I was trying to relax/stretch that muscle my side would cramp. Then my hips would start screaming, or my shoulders, or my lower back. It was crazy! As if smoe evil little cramp monster was just wandering around, poking different bits in turn. This morning I feel totally drained... my muscles wont work, kind of like the day after a big gym workout? Everything hurts!

My to-do list today is pretty small though... there's a playdate at the park which might be canceled because we could have thunderstorms (oh please please, yes to thunder! I love thunder storms!) and some grocery shopping. Then checking the air mattresses and packing clothes. Which is good because I don't think I can manage much more than that!
Yes, be gentle with yourself. It's so easy to over do it. I'm packing about a 2-3 boxes a day. Trying not to stress about it either, but I think moving just has this stress that goes with it. Trying to relax as much as possible about it, but it just starts creeping in. It's exciting, I think the dogs aren't helping. They can tell and I think that stresses me out too. NO stress.
lol.gif
I just hope my dh's dog doesn't stop eating like the last couple times we moved.

The babe keeps spinning. Not up and down, but just around on her head. Hopefully soon she will start running out of room and stay in one spot.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Packing to move is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Can you get someone to help you? Even if all they do is sit there and encourage you as you work? DO you know what sort of space you'll have available after the final move?
I'm just packing, so I don't have to actually move the stuff. Most of it won't be moved until the end of Sept. when I move in with MIL until I feel like traveling 11 1/2hrs with a newborn in Oct. I know exactly what space I have, which is awesome. It's the house dh owns in MI and we were living there in '09. Lots more space, so I'm just packing up what I'm not going to need. Then dh can just move it when he leaves after the baby is born. I want to get most of the packing done now so I can have dh put it out of the way before he leaves this month plus I won't want to do it closer to the birth anyway. That will be knitting, reading, and relaxing time.
thumb.gif

#12 ·
Hi all. I've been MIA this week... too much going on. Work is insane right now, plus just a bunch of family issues going on (and cat issues, too). Thank goodness my iron levels made it back up to normal, or I'd be passed out by now.

Cathy - Glad to hear DH got a job! Congrats! Good luck with the packing, that does not sound fun.

Wombat - Wow, sounds like you've been busy! Take some time to take care of yourself, too. :)

Liz - I'm with you on the sometimes I'm ready for it to be over, othertimes I'm good to go until 40 weeks. Mostly I think I'm feeling good to go until 40 weeks, though... probably because this is my first and I have no idea what to expect! Thanks for the well-wishes for my MIL. We won't know anything about her treatment until her appointment later this month... it's just going to be really hard with her being a non-citizen without insurance.

Rareimer - Hope your stressful month gets a little less stressful for you!

Off to cook dinner and take a shower. I should be cleaning the house, but I'm wiped out for today.

#14 ·
I am really hoping for an August baby. I hate to say that, but I am just so ready to be done. I had an awful day yesterday, and I don't know how much longer I can last.

I had to make a ~200 mile round trip to pick up my husband's grandma. It rained so hard I could barely see, I had crazy contractions the whole time, the bathrooms at the halfway point rest stop were closed, and someone ran me off the road! I was practically panicking the whole time. I think the fact that I was having so many contractions while being so far from home was what really got to me. I decided that I'm not going any farther than 20 miles in any direction until the baby is here!

I spent yesterday evening in what I would call prodromal labor. Crazy, erratic contractions that were way stronger than any BH I've felt so far. I almost called my midwife. But after taking a bath and drinking a cup of pregnancy tea, I felt a little more relaxed and was able to get some sleep.

On the bright side, I am ready! I have all of my birth supplies, the baby's clothes are washed and put away, and I have a pack of disposable diapers in case my cloth rental doesn't get here in time. I have one big job left to tackle- my bathtub. It needs a very thorough scrubbing. Since I decided not to get a birth pool, I might end up in there.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

I cant wait to see who posts the first birth story!!! Any one else having these surreal moments where everything stops and you think, holy crap, I'M HAVING A BABY!!! LOL! Its so close!!!
I'm having those moments almost every day!
yikes2.gif

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

I am really hoping for an August baby. I hate to say that, but I am just so ready to be done. I had an awful day yesterday, and I don't know how much longer I can last.

I had to make a ~200 mile round trip to pick up my husband's grandma. It rained so hard I could barely see, I had crazy contractions the whole time, the bathrooms at the halfway point rest stop were closed, and someone ran me off the road! I was practically panicking the whole time. I think the fact that I was having so many contractions while being so far from home was what really got to me. I decided that I'm not going any farther than 20 miles in any direction until the baby is here!

I spent yesterday evening in what I would call prodromal labor. Crazy, erratic contractions that were way stronger than any BH I've felt so far. I almost called my midwife. But after taking a bath and drinking a cup of pregnancy tea, I felt a little more relaxed and was able to get some sleep.

On the bright side, I am ready! I have all of my birth supplies, the baby's clothes are washed and put away, and I have a pack of disposable diapers in case my cloth rental doesn't get here in time. I have one big job left to tackle- my bathtub. It needs a very thorough scrubbing. Since I decided not to get a birth pool, I might end up in there.
Yeah, after taking ds to the airport this week, I'm like, I'm not going anywhere. Can't make me. Even going into town is daunting. If I could I would just go to MIL's and back, and maybe church and that's it. I'm done. Totally not ready yet. Just started washing baby clothes and my boppy I got a few months ago off ebay. Oh, and the receiving blankets and cloth diapers and pail and wipe warmer still need to come out of storage and washed. Anytime after the 26th is fair game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlynn918 View Post

I cant wait to see who posts the first birth story!!! Any one else having these surreal moments where everything stops and you think, holy crap, I'M HAVING A BABY!!! LOL! Its so close!!!
Heh.
yeahthat.gif
3 more weeks for me.

#19 ·
I am simultaneously ready for the baby to be here and content to wait several more weeks. My daughter came 2 weeks early and I am trying not to assume that this baby will be early too otherwise I know how crazy-making those final weeks can get. I am only in my 32nd week and it sounds like some of you are getting close to full term! Wow.

For now I'm really trying to tie up the last loose ends so I can have that feeling of peace, feeling ready. Because life really does stop for a little while after the baby comes. :) Unfortunately one of the things I must finish before the baby comes is an article that I need to get published in a research journal and I am SO not in that mental space right now. Having a very hard time with it but having a harder time with it hanging over my head so am inching along on it. Baby-wise I need to order some homebirth supplies, pick up the infant car seat from a friend and prep the cloth dipes. I am also working on a little collection of things I have made for the baby and making a sort of birth altar, for lack of a better term. Drawings, poems, some things I have knit and a few other things TBD. Since this pregnancy was such a surprise to us and it took me so long to even come to terms with it, this sort of activity really helps me bond with the baby and get much more excited about his arrival.

#20 ·
Oh, and got a call from one of the groups from church last night. They are throwing me a baby shower AND will pass around the link for the registry for a cloth diaper company where I have my list.
joy.gif
I'm hoping I get what I need.
thumb.gif

#21 ·
Cathy - Yay for the shower!

Quick question - I saw a couple of you mention not wanting to drive too far anymore... is there a point where I should worry about wandering too far from home? I drive A LOT for work - sometimes up to six hours a day, as much as 150 miles from home. What are your thoughts on continuing this as my due date approaches? I'm freaking out about it a bit (not wanting to go into labor nearly three hours from home), but luckily DH hasn't thought about it yet.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValH View Post

Cathy - Yay for the shower!

Quick question - I saw a couple of you mention not wanting to drive too far anymore... is there a point where I should worry about wandering too far from home? I drive A LOT for work - sometimes up to six hours a day, as much as 150 miles from home. What are your thoughts on continuing this as my due date approaches? I'm freaking out about it a bit (not wanting to go into labor nearly three hours from home), but luckily DH hasn't thought about it yet.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I just don't like being on the highway myself while pregnant. It's just very uncomfortable as well to drive very far. I'm a homebody and I think my nesting instinct really kicks in at this point and I don't like going very far and just being in the car is not something I want to do at this point.

#23 ·
Cathy- awesomesauce! That's fantastic!

driving- I live 30 minutes outside the nearest town and have three young kiddos, so we do a lot of local-ish driving no matter what. It's just not possible to avoid 4 or even 5 trips into town and back in a normal week. Personally I hate driving. I have an actual phobia about it and have had therapy, though it's still something that gives me regular panic attacks and general stress. (so yeah, ask why I agreed to move outside of town? no clue. big regrets. sigh). And the midwife/ob team I see and the hospital I'll use are both 45-60 minutes away.

However, I don't have any "extra" fear based on pregnancy. If I'm driving out of town (say more than an hour or two from home), and I'm close to full term or AM full term then I might google map the fastest route back to my hospital, or check out the addys for hospitals in that region but I don't worry about it too much. I think that as long as you are physically and emotionally comfortable driving, then you'll be fine. Maybe keep a hospital bag in the car and print out a "what to do in a surprise birth" list once you're close to/at term? And check with your care provider to see if they have any thoughts on the matter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.