Flip Baby Flip! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-08-2011, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As many of the ladies know, I have had a rough pregnancy but finally made it to 36 weeks! Back history- Ive been in preterm labor since 28 weeks, suffering from polyhydramnios (excess amnio fluid to the EXTREME), and our son being diagnosed with both a duodenal atresia (intestinal blockage) and down syndrome. ANYWAY, we made it to the impossible milestone of 36 weeks and this baby is still breech. It looks like if this kiddo does not flip, Im in for a c-section. I feel so helpless, so I decided that I was going to try to give it my all to see if this kiddo can flip. Ive got a lot of things against me, primarily that I have an olympic sized swimming pool for a belly and have had 2 amnio reductions and on to my 3rd this week. Because of all this fluid, baby is just floating around, preferring to float STANDING on my cervix. I REALLY REALLY dont want a c-section. Going from an original home water birth plan, to the dreaded hospital lack of plan at a hospital 1 hour cross town (have to birth there because of NICU and that is where babies surgeon will be) to an invetiable c-section! ARGH! With the baby having surgery 24-48 hours after he is born, I dont want to be recovering myself, I want to be there for him.

Anyway, so I made another appt with my chiropractor who specializes in pregnancy and the webster techniques. Im going to call my accupuncturist who I have not seen since my downward spiral at 28 weeks. I looked at spinning babies and a lot of the techniques say not to do them if you have high fluid levels, but I have been doing pelvic tilts, inversions, and going to try the breech tilt if I can manage it.

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions? It will be interesting to see if it helps as this kid has been breech for 2 months now. He was head down at my 19 week ultrasound.

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

#2 of 6 Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM

I don't have any first-hand experience flipping a breech baby, but the last time my good friend was pregnant, baby was persistently breech up until almost the very end (like 38 weeks(. She tried alllllll kinds of things, and she said what finally worked was doing somersaults in the swimming pool. I've since also heard of doing head/handstands in the water as similar version of this approach.  I'm not sure if it will help you since your little guy is floating around in excess fluid, but it's worth a shot if you're able to try it.  Good luck :)

#3 of 6 Old 08-08-2011, 10:19 PM

I'm not sure if the pool handstands worked for me but it was around that time that she did flip.  I was doing the chiro and moxabustion and inversions as well.  That's almost the entire list.  After the moxi place a hot pack low down and an ice pack high up with some headphones with gentle music low down (make sure you don't burn or freeze yourself doing these).  Good luck!

#4 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you looked over the spinningbabies.com site about breeches and how our posture and balance affect it?  It's better to start earlier in pregnancy, but it's never too late to do SOMETHING.  Since you have plenty of room and fluid, it should work to your advantage for this as it won't be too tight in there for babe to move!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#5 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Yay for making it to 36 weeks!  That's where I am too.  Mine was breech (we think - our midwife wasn't 100% sure) until last week.  Then we had an ultrasound last Friday and confirmed that he's head-down. 

I don't know if any of these things actually worked, but I followed some of the advice on spinningbabies.com (pelvic tilts, better posture, etc), got acupuncture, did moxibustion and went to the chiropractor for the Webster technique (where they don't try to turn the baby, just make more space for him to turn on his own).

Our next option was doing an external version at the hospital; I don't know if your/your son's medical conditions preclude that?  If that failed, we were going to try to do a vaginal breech at one of two hospitals in our area that still do them, if they determined we were eligible.  If not, C-Section.  So those were the options we considered.  Not sure if the stuff we did turned him, or he just turned on his own.  Guess we'll never know.

I wish you all the best!!

#6 of 6 Old 08-09-2011, 10:33 PM

I have gotten a lot of useful tips from spinningbabies.com too. DEFINITELY worth a look. I really love the somersaults in the water idea, if only because it sounds like fun. 

Moo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page