Rib Pain, Anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just wondering how common this is since none of my IRL friends have had this pain...

I experience pretty awful rib-pain off and on throughout the day/night. It is ranges from a dull burning sensation to feeling like I'm being stabbed. I'm pretty sure it's just the baby's position bc I can make the pain stop by poking baby until i feel him shift or (best choice) laying over the birth ball and doing pelvic tilts. And it's almost always on the same side (opposite the side baby has been laying up).

My theory is that bc of my abs of steel (I've been told by everyone who's had reason to feel them that they are freakishly tight), everything is just being really squashed and there's not much space not encompassed by bones to move in. My pregnant belly still looks about 20 weeks or less at almost 34 weeks. I've reached the point where everyone is concerned about the baby bc I look so small, even tho I am actually measuring right on track and babe was biggish at a 30-wk u/s. Ugh.
#2 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 05:57 AM

Is the pain on the RHS?  That's the gallbladder acting up - .......

#3 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 AM

I get this too..sometimes it is so bad I have trouble paying attention to what people are saying. My OB says it's just that everything inside is running out of room and pushing up against the ribs. It's only on the right side, but wraps from front to back. Helps when I get on all fours or lay down on my left. 

Wish I had abs of steel! I am just short (5' 2") so I think that is causing the trouble. I remember the same pain from last time. 

Mama to two sweet girls!

#4 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBean View Post

I get this too..sometimes it is so bad I have trouble paying attention to what people are saying. My OB says it's just that everything inside is running out of room and pushing up against the ribs. It's only on the right side, but wraps from front to back. Helps when I get on all fours or lay down on my left. 

Wish I had abs of steel! I am just short (5' 2") so I think that is causing the trouble. I remember the same pain from last time. 

im 5'3" - same pain - wraps around, etc + gallbladder pain- really common in pregnancy - beets are supposed to help :)

#5 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

My pain is in the upper front right portion of my ribcage--right around the edge. I'm pretty sure it's not my gallbladder as it stops when I get baby to move.

And yes, hands and knees is totally the best way to move him off. I'm just lazy and like to lay over the birth ball to take the weight! It sucks when I'm in public and just have to make due with hunching over and poking at the baby.
#6 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I've had rib pain only on my left side since about week 27. It use to only wake me up at night and stretching would make the pain go away. But now it's almost always there, worse some days than others and worse in the afternoon. Its more of a bruise like feeling like now. Its also the side the baby legs & feet like to stretch into. 

I just love being a mama to my son born 9/22/2011 and expecting baby early December 2014 joy.gif

cd.gif homebirth.jpg​ familybed1.gif  bfolderchild.gif 

#7 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 AM

Yes.  Ouch.

#8 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I had the same thing the last month or two. it hurt like crazy on the border of my left ribs. The baby dropped recently though and it's gone. What a relief. I so know what you are going through.It hurt to sleep on my left side so much.

#9 of 10 Old 08-11-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad there are some others out there with the same issue (though I'm very sorry we're so uncomfortable). Misery loves company!

The midwife commented today while measuring me that my uterus is waaaay up there, like pretty much at my sternum. I sure hope my abs give and let my belly pop soon, otherwise I don't know where it's all going to go.
#10 of 10 Old 08-12-2011, 11:02 AM

Yes- lots of rib pain here too. I'm just 5 feet tall and the baby is packed into my super short torso. Everyone says I'm carrying high, but with such a short torso I'm not sure that carrying low would even be an option. Baby has been head down for a few weeks now so when s/he kicks it hurts and takes my breath away! I feel your pain...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page