Signs of Impending Labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 08-10-2011, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's like 2am here at the moment and although I've sent my midwife an email, I'm up looking at Google answers to my questions, which is ALWAYS a bad idea, so I figured I'd just post this question here, try to get some sleep and see what you wonderful MDC mamas have to say about this when I check back tomorrow.

The other day, I was having some really intense tightening, Braxton-Hicks type action. I have no idea what it's supposed to feel like, as this is my first, but my mother told me she thought that's what it was... so okay, I've been feeling those for a few weeks now... no big deal. Well tonight in the grocery store, my left side started cramping really badly, and it actually HURT... I kept thinking it was maybe some round ligament pain, but it was hard to get through the checkout line without wanting to call my mommy... which is weird, because I'm really not usually like that with ANYTHING.

SO, I get home and post some responses here, check my email, feel a little better, eat something and then set up my birth tub and go to bed. So, then I woke up an hour later and barely made it to the bathroom before I vomited EVERYTHING I just ate. Now, I have been VERY lucky this whole pregnancy and did not get sick at all except for an unfortunate disagreement with a small bag of gummy bears around 16 weeks or so... my question is: could this be a sign of impending labor? I read that it is likely, but it sort of freaks me out.

If I go by my LMP, then my due date would actually be August 29th and I'd be 37 weeks and 2 days today, which I think would be okay if I go into labor in a few days, right?... but if I go by what my midwife thinks, calculating cycle dates, etc... then I'm only 35 weeks and 4 days, which makes me worry about pre-term labor. I've otherwise had a VERY healthy pregnancy (super low-blood pressure, good blood sugar, no edema, etc.) and this little guy seems to be measuring pretty big here... today he measured 38 weeks. *shrug* I guess at least I have the birth tub set up, right?

Moo.

#2 of 33 Old 08-10-2011, 03:56 AM

How is it going now, a couple of hours later? I hope the pain settled and you are having a little more sleep.

I have been sick twice in the third trimester with severe cramping of the uterus and intestinal tract (at the same time), then vomiting, for no apparent reason. Both times it came and went within a few hours and both times started in the later evening, around 11pm.

Hope you feel better today, Rachel!

#3 of 33 Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 AM

I have no idea if it is normal, because of my situation but I spent all of last weekend vomiting with a return of morning/night sickness  and have been quesy and hard to keep much down ever since. Ive been having strong contractions since 28 weeks so I cant really comment on that front. I am not sure what is usual. I would definitely call your midwife as soon as it is morning, or if things progress, call her ASAP. Many people have told me nausea is a sign of impending labor. Better safe than sorry.

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

#4 of 33 Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 AM

Sounds like your body might be getting ready - increased contractions, flu symptoms, etc., but that could go on for a couple of weeks.  Even if he was born today or tomorrow, he would very likely be fine.  I'm 36 weeks today, and if my midwife told me that at this point, if I went into labor I could still deliver at home.  36 weeks is their 'cut-off point' for a home birth, which seems reasonable to me.  Mine is measuring big, too, so even if he did show up 2-4 weeks early, I'm not too worried.

#5 of 33 Old 08-10-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for weighing in, ladies. I feel much better this morning and I love my midwife even more than I did before, despite not thinking that was possible. She responded to my email at 5am from her Blackberry!! Basically, she said that it could be any of a number of things from stress, too much physical exertion from setting up the birth tub myself at 11pm last night (LOL), to a stomach bug that's going around, to poor hydration, etc. OR it could be a sign of impending labor, but she said that if I do go early that everything will likely be okay, and to keep her posted, which I will do of course.

Still, the Braxton-Hicks are getting stronger, but they are only in the front and subside when I change position or drink some water. I tend to be somewhat of a camel if I'm not monitoring my fluid intake, so I'm back on top of that today! It doesn't help that my mother is constantly surmising that I'll go early. Erg.

Moo.

#6 of 33 Old 08-10-2011, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I'm suddenly nauseous all the time too.. started around 36 weeks for me. I threw up a lot a the end last time.. then realized it was citrus irritating me.. it dropped off when I stopped eating oranges. Strange! More BH for me too.. and days where I just feel OFF and don't want to do anything.

#7 of 33 Old 08-10-2011, 01:31 PM

i haven't had any nausea, but the BH have gotten way more frequent and intense for me too (i'm 35 weeks on friday.)  glad to hear you're feeling better!  but i bet if your little one decided to come now, he would be just fine.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#8 of 33 Old 08-10-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed tonight that I am also able to eat WAY more than I could last week... Mom and I went out to eat tonight, and I finished my entire dinner, which has been really unusual lately, as I've been taking a box home most of the time if I eat out... maybe a sign that maybe he's dropped further down and given me more room... either that, or eating more is why I threw up. LOL

Any other signs we newbies should be looking out for from BTDT mamas? I like this "labor watch" part... way more fun than the rest of being pregnant was for me. love.gif

Moo.

#9 of 33 Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 AM

Hey Mommel! Glad to hear you are feeling better! I was SUPER nauseaus last night when I went to bed, which was strange and uncomfortable. I also found an old (porbably arhived) post discussing the bre-labor "funk" that some women experienc in the weeks leading up to birth...don't know if this is something you've been experiencing, but it sounds reasonable to me :)

I was convinced yesterday that I was in labor b/c I had more BM in that 24 hour stretch than I usually have all week!

You're right, this part is LOADS of fun!

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#10 of 33 Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

Any other signs we newbies should be looking out for from BTDT mamas? I like this "labor watch" part... way more fun than the rest of being pregnant was for me. love.gif

With my first, I lost my mucous plug on Monday evening and woke up Tuesday morning with bad cramps that wouldn't go away. It was unlike anything else I'd ever felt, and I just knew that I was in labor. I didn't have any other "warning signs." 

My sister just had her first, and for a few days before she went into labor, she was deathly sick. She threw up everything she ate for about 3 days and felt like she had the flu. She said those few days were the worst of her whole pregnancy.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#11 of 33 Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

She said those few days were the worst of her whole pregnancy.

LOL! That sounds miserable, but honestly... as miserable as vomiting is for me (I NEVER do it unless I absolutely can't help it), I still think it's fun to realize that I'm SO CLOSE to finally being a mama!! I have wanted to have a child for a LONG time, and I didn't think it was actually possible for me to have children... with one tube, only one cycle from a twin loss, and with only one opportunity with the father, who is now since long gone... this kiddo is a MIRACLE and I feel SO blessed!! I'm starting to feel all sorts of sentimental and weepy now (is that a sign too? LOL).

I also had a dream last night that I was talking to one of my close friends while sitting on the toilet (now, we're close, but we're not THAT close, and I rarely ever do that)... so in my dream, I wiped and the TP had a bloody mucousy show and I didn't tell her about it, but I said... "Uhhh... C? I'm going to have this baby on SATURDAY!" and then I woke up. Yikes!! My mom said I'm just giving the baby my psychic permission to come at any time now. Hahaha... considering that in 1993 my mother made a "vision book" with a collage of stuff she wanted in her life which included a tow headed boy and a dark-skinned island boy in the collage and that 10 or so years later my sister had the blonde boy and now I'm having the island boy... I'd say she's pretty "dialed in" to that sort of stuff... so who knows??!! 

Moo.

#12 of 33 Old 08-13-2011, 05:16 AM

Usually the contractions you feel for going into labor come right at your pubic hair line where your cervix is.  That's how I knew I was in labor last time, because I had bh like I am now, all the time and didn't know if that could turn into labor or not.  Oh, and the fact that the day before my body just got rid of everything in my system, though that gave me a hemorrhoid, which is awful too.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#13 of 33 Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

Usually the contractions you feel for going into labor come right at your pubic hair line where your cervix is.  That's how I knew I was in labor last time, because I had bh like I am now, all the time and didn't know if that could turn into labor or not.  

yeahthat.gif

I had bought myself a cute little swim skirt to labor and birth in thinking it would give me more modesty in the pool while still giving access for birth.  BUT, when active labor hit, that skirt went flying because the contractions were right there on that pubic bone line where under the belly clothes lie and i didn't want ANYTHING touching that area or adding extra pressure.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#14 of 33 Old 08-13-2011, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I read last night that when prostaglandins increase to help your body get ready for birth some people experience nausea. That makes a lot of sense. I'm still nauseaus almost every time I eat. I'm also really tired, and my hands and feet suddenly started to swell, and my bp went up slightly (from 110/70 to 118/78). My midwife just said my body is getting ready for birth. I'm 37 weeks tomorrow (their official home birth without a DR on call date).

I'm not getting too hooked on the idea of an early baby though.. I'm sure people drive themselves crazy with that!

#15 of 33 Old 08-13-2011, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

This is good to know... my mother told me that the way to tell it was a real contraction was that I would also get back labor, but I am realizing that most of what my mother says is complete bunk these days. LOL

I haven't had any more nausea thus far, but I have been staying up later at night, getting lots of nesting in (did all the diaper laundry and stuffed and sized all of my one-size dipes last night) AND... this part is really weird... I have been sleeping for almost eight whole hours at a time!!! I actually wake up and it's light out, which hasn't happened since my first trimester!! I'm not knocking it either... I figure it's my body's way of stocking up on extra energy, and I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

Usually the contractions you feel for going into labor come right at your pubic hair line where your cervix is.  That's how I knew I was in labor last time, because I had bh like I am now, all the time and didn't know if that could turn into labor or not.  Oh, and the fact that the day before my body just got rid of everything in my system, though that gave me a hemorrhoid, which is awful too.

Moo.

#16 of 33 Old 08-14-2011, 11:57 AM

For me, BH contractions and "real" contractions feel the same... it's just that when it's the real deal the contractions get longer/stronger/more frequent.  When it's BH they tend to be very uniform... last about the same length, have a similar break between them, a contraction after 4 hours of BH prodromal labor "feels" about the same as the first contraction, etc.

But I do tend to get the flu-like symptoms for a week or so prior to birth.  Some stomach ick and some vomiting, loose stools, more tired and cranky, often with a sore throat or cough or other "immune system is off line, please try again later" symptoms.  I also nest in more unusual ways (I was up at 1am last night re-organizing my hospital bag for gods' sake) and the really wacky early pregnancy dreams come back.

I've also lost my mucus plug a few days prior to labor in each case, though with ds (my third) I sort of lost it a little at a time while with my first two it really was a "banana slug" on the toilet paper sort of thing.  Gross, but exciting at the same time.  LOL  And with my first two my water broke before contractions started (with my third I had weeks of prodromal labor, I let them break my water, and whammo he arrived a few hours later... it's like my body just doesn't get with the program until the bag of waters breaks, one way or the other).

Hmmm... and dropping.  This babe has totally dropped so I have a lot of pain/nerve zings/twinges in my cervix and groin on the one hand, but on the other hand I can eat like a horse and breath easy so that's a plus.  You know, I wonder if some of the loose stools/stomach upset is due to having more stomach capacity and less bowel space with a dropped babe?  Kind of like someone having a gastric bypass or other surgery that dorks around with the intestines... it often causes elimination problems.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#17 of 33 Old 08-16-2011, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

My belly no longer fits in my lap and my navel is FINALLY starting to pop... I think I give it another few days to a week to be totally out. And if any of you saw my other thread this week... umm... mood swings much? Yep... it's getting close to the time.

I did a CPR/AED certification class tonight and I couldn't do the choking infant practical exam because I couldn't hold the Little Anne doll on my knee and still reach across my belly to do the back or chest thrusts. I also took the class with a Zumba instructor friend of mine and all her Zumba instructor friends, and of course they held the course in the dance studio with the full wall of mirrors, so I felt like an enormous cow surrounded by those teeny little dancer bodies and they all stretched out on the floor on their tummies to do the written exam, and I just thought "I cannot wait until I can lie on my stomach again!!" I'm just happy they didn't try to demonstrate how to modify the Heimlich maneuver on a pregnant lady, and I did get offered the last brownie on the snack table. LOL

Also leaking colostrum, some random minor bruising from all the increased blood volume, gums and nose bleeding has increased, more nausea and heartburn, and just a generalized "I'm so over this" feeling about just about everything. Pretty sure most of that stuff isn't as much a sign of impending labor as it is just normal third trimester stuff though... oh, and impatience... with everything and everyone, but mostly about being so excited to meet this kiddo!!!

Moo.

#18 of 33 Old 08-18-2011, 05:04 PM

Well, if mood swings are a sigh I am going any day now!!!

#19 of 33 Old 08-18-2011, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

Well, if mood swings are a sigh I am going any day now!!!

lol.gif

Moo.

#20 of 33 Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 PM

I've been having crazy mood swings for weeks, and I woke up this morning with a strange feeling of calm. So then I started freaking out thinking that I was going into labor today! nut.gif

#21 of 33 Old 08-18-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've been having crazy mood swings for weeks, and I woke up this morning with a strange feeling of calm. So then I started freaking out thinking that I was going into labor today! nut.gif

Ack! That IS scary... keep us posted though just in case!

Moo.

#22 of 33 Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 PM

Nothing yet, although I did have a few pains today that made me pause and wonder if something was really happening.

All it really did was motivate me to do some more things on my "to do before the baby is born" list. I'm surprised my husband didn't yell at me for moving the couch by myself so I could scrub the carpet in the living room. redface.gif

#23 of 33 Old 08-19-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:

All it really did was motivate me to do some more things on my "to do before the baby is born" list. I'm surprised my husband didn't yell at me for moving the couch by myself so I could scrub the carpet in the living room. redface.gif

Heh.  Sounds like something I would do, but dh would def. yell at me for it.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#24 of 33 Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 PM

definitely way TMI...but i've had the runs like crazy the past few days...and getting lots of pains.  hard to tell what the pains are, they're mostly when baby moves, sometimes during BH (which i'm getting tons of, and they're getting very uncomfortable.)  i think maybe it's because baby has engaged--neither of my other kids did, so i don't know what it feels like.  but i get some pains lower down like in my pelvic area...doesn't really feel like labour, but maybe something leading up to it?  i've never had prodromal labour either--when labour starts for me, it starts out of nowhere and there is no such thing as early labour--it's painful right away.  i can't believe how different this pregnancy has been, in so many ways, so i'm not counting anything out! 

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#25 of 33 Old 08-20-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareimer View Post

definitely way TMI...but i've had the runs like crazy the past few days...and getting lots of pains.  hard to tell what the pains are, they're mostly when baby moves, sometimes during BH (which i'm getting tons of, and they're getting very uncomfortable.)  i think maybe it's because baby has engaged--neither of my other kids did, so i don't know what it feels like.  but i get some pains lower down like in my pelvic area...doesn't really feel like labour, but maybe something leading up to it?  i've never had prodromal labour either--when labour starts for me, it starts out of nowhere and there is no such thing as early labour--it's painful right away.  i can't believe how different this pregnancy has been, in so many ways, so i'm not counting anything out! 

Well, that sounds exciting Robyn.  I don't think this baby has engaged yet, but I think she is waiting for daddy to come home first in about 20 days.

#26 of 33 Old 08-21-2011, 10:45 AM

oh- 20 days!!!  I was waiting for an update on if your 'method" worked :)  Im due in 15 days - maybe Ill give it a shot and let you know...

#27 of 33 Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 AM

Sounds like the normal 3rd baby wild card syndrome!  The 3rd babies always throwing momma for a loop and labors are rarely like the others.  orngbiggrin.gif  I hope it leads up to something positive for you!

I've had pains in my super lower abdomen and sides area.  Feels more like stretching and really sore achiness to me though from baby being so active and repeatedly kicking or pushing over and over in the same spots.  This little one is not engaged yet and is still floating, but when they do engage, it's a very unique heaviness and pressure that makes you feel like you have to constantly pee or poo REALLY bad that doesn't go away and every little move or step you feel that baby right there on the cervix pushing on it.  Once you've felt it, you KNOW.  

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#28 of 33 Old 08-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthylady View Post

Sounds like the normal 3rd baby wild card syndrome!  The 3rd babies always throwing momma for a loop and labors are rarely like the others.  orngbiggrin.gif  I hope it leads up to something positive for you!

I've had pains in my super lower abdomen and sides area.  Feels more like stretching and really sore achiness to me though from baby being so active and repeatedly kicking or pushing over and over in the same spots.  This little one is not engaged yet and is still floating, but when they do engage, it's a very unique heaviness and pressure that makes you feel like you have to constantly pee or poo REALLY bad that doesn't go away and every little move or step you feel that baby right there on the cervix pushing on it.  Once you've felt it, you KNOW.  

I don't remember the feeling from last time, but I do remember being able to rest my belly on any chair I was sitting on.thumb.gif

#29 of 33 Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 PM

I didn't feel it with my 1st.  And not until being in labor with the 3rd baby, but with my 2nd, I remember walking out of a sporting goods store thinking...."Oh my gosh!  How am I going to walk around feeling like this for another 2 + weeks?"  But then had my first contraction about 15 minutes later.  It's a feeling I will never forget!  

#30 of 33 Old 08-21-2011, 02:26 PM

I'll be 36 weeks on Tuesday and I'm begging this little guy to sit tight until 37 weeks or at least just shy of 37. DS was a bit early at 36/2, and that's too early for a homebirth with my midwife. He had some minor breathing issues as well, though nothing too serious.  A couple times now I've had what I guess are prodromal labor contractions.  I'd call them BH but I get those all the time and they don't hurt, they just make my uterus super tight for a while.  But these are more like cramps. Feels like I'm starting my period or something.  Once last Wed. it happened as I was about to go to sleep, and then again last night it actually woke me up.  First time it was off and on for about an hour and then last night probably not more than 10 or 15 minutes.  Not so fun! I haven't had any other signs though really, so hopefully it's just my body gearing up.  

Last labor started with my water breaking, and absolutely no pre-labor contractions that I can remember (other than the painless tightening BH's) so this is very new for me.  I'm just hoping I go to 37 weeks and not much more than that, as this baby will probably be big like his brother (8lbs 12 oz, 4 weeks early) praying.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page