Question about getting post partum belly bands... thinking ahead - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was wondering if any other mothers used the post partum belly bands and your opinion on them .Call me vain but before i got pregnant I had washboard abs and REALLY REALLY want that back again, or as close to it as I can get. I have been dealing with polyhydramnios, so Im worried Im really stretched out ( luckily though, knock on wood, no stretch marks yet....). Any brands you recommend? Anyone notice a difference?

I was looking at this one because it was on Tyra's show on "What they dont tell you about the first year after baby" . They featured this one:

http://www.byanew.com/post-preggo.html?SID=e930e30d1c732df4d7add348f7fdd106

If anything, Im thinking it will help me mentally..... hopefully my torso to knee spanx still fit.....

Active self employed momma to my amazing son with down syndrome born 8/24/11, wife to the most amazing husband ever, expecting baby #2 on September 5th, 2012, exactly 1 year from my sons original due date. Currently sharing our crazy household with 1 house rabbit, 3 exotic lizards, 1 guinea pig...

#2 of 11 Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 PM

i got one of eBay much cheaper, and it looks like it will be great, although i wasn't sure if it would fit me right away.  so i bought another stretchier Jolly Jumper one at Walmart that will work until the other one fits.  :)

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#3 of 11 Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 PM

I didn't use a belly band with my first daughter, but I suggest you go to amazon.com. It's the best place to start to get a lot of input and reviews from moms who have tried different types of bands. 

#4 of 11 Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 AM

I'm sure there are some good products out there just for this purpose, but I used a wide, 6 ft long Ace bandage starting just a day or two after birth and it worked so well. My tummy went back to being flat really quickly and then once I was able to start exercising in earnest I was able to get my muscle tone back. My midwife was pretty adamant that I do this (along with spending the first week postpartum in or around the bed and the second week at home) to get all my internal organs back to their proper place and help my stomach muscles recover as they had separated some.

#5 of 11 Old 08-12-2011, 11:12 AM

I've heard great things and plan to get one... In fact, I was shopping for one online and discovered they also sell ones that wrap your hips to "return them to size."  ???  I mean, obviously you can't wear BOTH, right?

What I have heard about the belly ones is that it really isn't just vanity - it's great support for your stretched muscles and helps you keep good posture/avoid a sore back when breastfeeding.  So if it comes down to belly band vs. hip band, I know which i would choose.  I'd just never heard of the hip bands before.  Anyone else?

cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
#6 of 11 Old 08-12-2011, 11:22 AM

for cosmetic or health reasons?

I used our snuggly wrap starting a week post partum. It's actually the perfect width (although a little long) if you're wanting to help your tummy and hips go down to size gradually it's important you wrap from an inch or two under your breasts to about midway down your butt. The entire area needs to be supported - you're trying to support your organs etc that your stretched out abs can't help anymore.

I wrapped twice a day and slathered EVO mixed with ylang ylang on my tummy, thighs, butt. I got back into pre-prego state fairly quickly. Walking around without feeling like I needed to hold my 'gut' helped. and as PP said, it definitely helped with breastfeeding posture.

You want it snug enough to feel like your posture is superb!

I say go with a cotton piece of cloth with just a little stretch - like any babywearing wrap.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

covert crunchy wife to guitar.gif & mama to DSbabyf.gif02/11. Dreaming of travelling the earth.gif as soon as we catch up on some sleeping.gif

#7 of 11 Old 08-12-2011, 11:47 AM

I bought the Brooke Burke one this time, I didn't use one with my first, didn't even know they existed.  I found with nursing I actually felt somewhat comfortable being back in a bikini at 4 months postpartum, so things actually do go back quite quickly on their own.  Still I think the added support is a good thing, and my midwives agreed that they can be helpful, not necessary, but helpful. 

#8 of 11 Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 PM

I picked up a used "belly bandit" to try this time. While I don't have any illusions of "washboard abs" in my future, this is my fourth baby, and I have a moderate dyastasis (separation of the facia that connects my abs down the midline) and I want to see if the added support will encourage that to come back together more easily. If I find it terribly uncomfortable, though, my resolve to use it is pretty weak. But we'll see...worth a try.
#9 of 11 Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 PM

I got the Shrinkx hips hip binder, and the motherhood brand of belly binder. It's really soft and breathable, and looks like it will fit nicely:)

http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=914950113&MasterCategory_Id=MC32

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#10 of 11 Old 08-15-2011, 01:53 PM

@LadyJennifer, do you think you will/can wear both the Shrinkx and the belly binder at the same time?  Those are the two i was looking at.  I'm not sure how much hardware I can get tucked into!!

cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif
#11 of 11 Old 08-15-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ-ME View Post

@LadyJennifer, do you think you will/can wear both the Shrinkx and the belly binder at the same time?  Those are the two i was looking at.  I'm not sure how much hardware I can get tucked into!!

Planning on it! the hip thing goes around your hips a bit lower, whereas the belly binder is just around the abdoman. I somewhat tried them on, and it should work!:)

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page