Birth Plan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-18-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In case I need to go to the hospital I need to put together a birth plan.  I know there is more I'm missing. This hospital keeps baby in the room with mom for the first hour and then takes them to the nursery for wieghing and stuff with dad.   This is what I got so far:

For the Birth:

placenta goes home with us (I just need to bring a bowl to take it home in.
no internals
delayed cord clamping

Newborn exam and apgars done with baby on mother's chest

No epesiatomy

No augmentation of labor

When Babe Goes to Nursery to get weighed and all that an hour after birth:
no eye drops
no vit. K shot

no PKU test, will get that done a week after born
no pacifier
no formula

Any help would be awesome.  Thanks!!thumb.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm no expert, but I use this site to help make a birth plan...

http://www.childbirth.org/interactive/ibirthplan.html

#3 of 20 Old 08-18-2011, 11:35 PM

That's a very detailed website, but there's one major thing that bothers me:

Cytotec (Oral or vaginally inserted tablet, more effective and costs less than pitocin, in most cases. Read the FAQ.)

And the FAQ is just a list of 10+ year old studies on Cytotec's effectiveness. Nowhere does it mention the fact that it's not approved by the FDA or the manufacturer for inductions. See the picture on the front of the box:

drug_label.jpg

Just bothers me, that's all.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#4 of 20 Old 08-19-2011, 01:12 PM

Do you vaccinate? If you don't, you may want to put that on there too. :)

#5 of 20 Old 08-19-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC05 View Post

Do you vaccinate? If you don't, you may want to put that on there too. :)

good idea

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#6 of 20 Old 08-19-2011, 02:53 PM

One thing to keep in mind with a hospital birth is that different people do different things... meaning the nurse who will facilitate your eating or bug you about monitoring isn't the midwife/ob who actually catches the babe and cuts the cord and that midwife/ob isn't the person who "controls" the pacifier and so on.  So I find it's really helpful to break a birth plan up into 3-4 things that you want in each stage of labor.  That way the staff can refer directly to "just" the part that applies to them instead of wading through the whole plan (which they may not be inclined to do, depending on their personality and/or what else is going on).

Also, make sure you add some description and go over those definitions with your providers... delayed cord clamping can be a minute, or 4-5 minutes, or 15-20 minutes.  So you want to be sure everyone is using the same definitions!

This is the plan I used last time and (with a change in pronouns) will use again.  Other than the pronouns, the only thing not on this version is a bulleted point that said - "Our son will remain intact.  Please do not retract his foreskin."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Parents: xxxxx & xxxxx

Attended by: xxxx

Doula: xxxx

Pediatrician: xxxx

XXXXX and I are anticipating a natural birth for our fourth child. We value your encouragement and support in making this possible!

FIRST STAGE:

--Freedom of movement is very important to me as I plan to employ a variety of natural pain management techniques. I appreciate your assistance in making this possible through the use of a heplock and flexible monitoring.

--Please wait for me to request pain medication.

--I prefer to avoid routine vaginal exams.

SECOND STAGE:

--I intend to follow my natural urge to push but welcome assistance in finding effective positions.

--I welcome your support in preventing a tear but prefer a natural tear over an episiotomy.  I do not consent to an episiotomy.

--Please remind me to touch my daughter's head as she is born.

AFTER THE BIRTH:

--Please place my daughter directly on my chest/stomach after birth.

--XXXX would like to cut the cord once it stops pulsating (4-5 minutes after the birth).

--Please allow the placenta to birth without traction or routine medication.

--To enhance bonding, we will delay NYS required procedures until the 1 hour limit.

--We will room in. Routine procedures (bath, etc) can be done in our room/with our assistance. We will accompany our daughter on nursery visits.

--We will be breastfeeding and do not consent to the use of artificial nipples or supplements (including glucose solution and/or formula).

IN THE EVENT OF A REPEAT CESAREAN:

--I would prefer a spinal for surgery and a double layer closure of the uterine incision.

--I would like to see my child as she is born and for XXXX to hold her after she is examined.

--I would like one arm free so I can "hold" my child with assistance.  I am aware of the need to maintain a sterile field and will not reach into it.

--I will initiate breastfeeding as soon as possible and appreciate your support in this.

--XXXX will go with our child if she needs to be taken to the nursery.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 20 Old 08-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Oh... and make sure you READ all the hospital pre-admission paperwork and edit it as needed (just cross stuff out and date/initial the change).  Often the pre-admission paperwork includes a sort of blanket consent statement that will "trump" a birth plan (which isn't a legal document and isn't binding on the hospital).  Not to sound scary or anything, but lots of moms end up saying "I didn't consent to X" only to learn that they sort-of-kind-of consented when they filled out the pre-admission paperwork.

And legally the "magic words" are I DO NOT CONSENT.  So while I'm not a fan of confrontational birth plans (long lists of don't, wont, do not, etc) I do think that for things you feel strongly about you should add "I do not consent to X" after you say what you DO want (since I'd rather put my attention/energy into what I want rather than what I don't want, you know?)

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 20 Old 08-19-2011, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I guess I am a little confused.  Are you planning a home birth?  If that's the case, I think a plan for a hospital transfer is pretty much "This is an emergency.  Please do what you have ot do for the baby and me."  kind of thing.  I am not for giving my power away but if I am going to the hospital, there is going to be a good reason for it.  I wouldn't think things like  augmentation and following the natural urge to push are things I am going to be concerned with at that point.

#9 of 20 Old 08-19-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

I guess I am a little confused.  Are you planning a home birth?  If that's the case, I think a plan for a hospital transfer is pretty much "This is an emergency.  Please do what you have ot do for the baby and me."  kind of thing.  I am not for giving my power away but if I am going to the hospital, there is going to be a good reason for it.  I wouldn't think things like  augmentation and following the natural urge to push are things I am going to be concerned with at that point.

There is a possibiltiy my endo and my midwife might decide that they don't think its a good idea for me to have a homebirth.  Crazy that I"m 36 weeks and my endo after I already told him I was planning a homebirth realizes this.dizzy.gif

#10 of 20 Old 08-19-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Wombatclay - writing down everything and realizing I threw away all those forms I had when I did a hospital tour and need to get them again.

#11 of 20 Old 08-19-2011, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

There is a possibiltiy my endo and my midwife might decide that they don't think its a good idea for me to have a homebirth.  Crazy that I"m 36 weeks and my endo after I already told him I was planning a homebirth realizes this.dizzy.gif

Got it!  :)  I understand now!  And yeah, endo, what's up with that?  lol  Nothing like leaving a Mama hanging!

#12 of 20 Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

Got it!  :)  I understand now!  And yeah, endo, what's up with that?  lol  Nothing like leaving a Mama hanging!

My endo trusts me to do what I need to do, but because I will be in labor, its kind of hard to make the decisions I need to and when in regards to my blood sugar and insulin needs.  It's just no one really understands like my OB would what I need when.  So, its hard when people on the outside, including dh and other family members that don't fully understand my needs, I mean they help me out with things I need, but they haven't been in my shoes and know what I or my body needs to re-adjust.  It's hard to explain.

#13 of 20 Old 08-20-2011, 06:56 AM

Oh, instead of a bowl, if you have one of those small hard sided coolers (the kind they make for lunches and/or sixpacks?) that would work better for your placenta... that way it can be wrapped and placed in the cooler with an ice pack and closed.  The cooler marks it as "yours", it's out of sight of staff that might be confused, and it's staying cool/cleaner (or at least cooler) than it would be in a bowl.  Especially if you plan on eating it later you don't want it to sit out at room temp in a hospital environment for a few hours and the hospital staff probably wont want it in their fridge.  LOL

#14 of 20 Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Oh, instead of a bowl, if you have one of those small hard sided coolers (the kind they make for lunches and/or sixpacks?) that would work better for your placenta... that way it can be wrapped and placed in the cooler with an ice pack and closed.  The cooler marks it as "yours", it's out of sight of staff that might be confused, and it's staying cool/cleaner (or at least cooler) than it would be in a bowl.  Especially if you plan on eating it later you don't want it to sit out at room temp in a hospital environment for a few hours and the hospital staff probably wont want it in their fridge.  LOL

Good idea.  I was thinking MIL would just take it home, but maybe I'll see if she has a cooler that size and maybe just stuff a zip-lock bag in it.  Maybe I'll maker her in charge of that.

#15 of 20 Old 08-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

That's a very detailed website, but there's one major thing that bothers me:

Cytotec (Oral or vaginally inserted tablet, more effective and costs less than pitocin, in most cases. Read the FAQ.)

And the FAQ is just a list of 10+ year old studies on Cytotec's effectiveness. Nowhere does it mention the fact that it's not approved by the FDA or the manufacturer for inductions. See the picture on the front of the box:

drug_label.jpg

Just bothers me, that's all.

I would not be surprised either if it didn't mention that it has been known to cause uterine rupture and even death.  irked.gif

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#16 of 20 Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Yup, cytotec for induction isn't even "off label" use... it's considered "black label" use.  While I know plenty of people who had cytotec inductions and were fine, it's the sort of russian roulette I can't believe insurance companies allow, no matter how cheap it is.

#17 of 20 Old 08-22-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

So yes, I am definitely having a hospital birth.  There are a couple things my endo would like to have on hand just in case during labor and birth that my midwife would not be able to provide.  I did send my midwife what I wrote down for my birth plan and she added a couple things.  I will see her one last time today until after the birth when I have her do the PKU for me at 7days and so she can meet Maggie.

#18 of 20 Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM

(((hugs)))

I know it's not what you wanted, but I'm thankfull you're not in limbo anymore and you've got the time to plan and prepare.  It really is possible to have a good hospital birth, and that's what I wish for you!

#19 of 20 Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

(((hugs)))

I know it's not what you wanted, but I'm thankfull you're not in limbo anymore and you've got the time to plan and prepare.  It really is possible to have a good hospital birth, and that's what I wish for you!

Yes, being in limbo was stressing me out more than anything.  I think it will be fine.  The OB attending is very natural birth friendly.

#20 of 20 Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

Yes, being in limbo was stressing me out more than anything.  I think it will be fine.  The OB attending is very natural birth friendly.

It's so good to hear that you're at peace with it. Changes in birthing plans this late in the game are tough.

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page