#61 of 81 Old 08-26-2011, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

Are you taking Evening Primrose Oil?

Just got some today. smile.gif

It seems like everyone has challenging circumstances right now. grouphug.gif I am sending out a big ol' good vibe to everyone for hurricanes, family issues, blood glucose levels, birthing timelines/issues, intense emotions, cervices in various states of favorability, heat, blood pressure, and transverse babies. goodvibes.gif

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#62 of 81 Old 08-27-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Going to my first prenatal with my OB today.   So glad I had my midwife for the first 36 weeks.  I hope I like him better today.orngtongue.gif  He'll let me do what I want and is all about doing everything naturally, but he needs more personability before I like him.  Oh and better bed side manner.  praying.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#63 of 81 Old 08-27-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

So, my appt. with the ob went better than I had hoped, but now he is freaking out that the baby is huge and he's the one that did the sizing u/s.  Weirdo.  I told him I'm not doing any vaginals or pitocin inductions unless I was having like preclampsia or something.  Anyway, so I'm getting some natural induction stuff from my midwife on Wednesday and I told my OB about it and he said he was all for me starting it any time, his way of freaking out still about the baby being huge.  Anyway, I don't think she is, last time I had to take a bath twice a day to get my ds's weight off my body.  I don't feel that way this time.  I really don't think she is much more than 7lbs.  So, I talked to dh about it and he says he's all for starting labor on Wednesday if my body is ready since he can fly in on Friday morning.  Anyway, e-mailed my midwife to ask what her thoughts were and we'll go from there.  After my shower tomorrow and belly cast I think I will have everything I need and everything I want out of this pregnancy.  So maybe we will have a baby by next weekend.  Exciting!!

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#64 of 81 Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM

How exciting! I'm going to be surprised if I don't have a baby by next weekend too. I've been doing the preterm labor thing and yesterday, I was spotting and really cramping with a lot of back pain and cervical pressure. The midwife I saw yesterday wasn't convinced I'd last very long either, especially because my blood pressure keeps going out of control even on the medicine. I just want to make it until Tuesday at least so my husband can teach at his professional development day. He did one last week and worked Monday-Thursday. The schedule is the same this week so I'm a little concerned I won't last. If I'm up at all lately, there's intense cervical pressure/pain. The baby wants out! Monday will be 36 weeks for me though.

#65 of 81 Old 08-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Cathy I'm glad it went well with the ob! I had am amazing ob appt yesterday (first ob I've seen this pregnancy, all other appts were with practice midwives) and left feeling more positive and more redirected than I have before! He didn't even question me refusing IV abx in labor (gbs positive)!

You just never know I guess.

Happy baby vibes to all you mamas on the laborer train!!

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#66 of 81 Old 08-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Sorry, more RESPECTED....not redirected. Seriously, I need an editor!

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#67 of 81 Old 08-27-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ChicknLil View Post

Cathy I'm glad it went well with the ob! I had am amazing ob appt yesterday (first ob I've seen this pregnancy, all other appts were with practice midwives) and left feeling more positive and more redirected than I have before! He didn't even question me refusing IV abx in labor (gbs positive)!

You just never know I guess.

Happy baby vibes to all you mamas on the laborer train!!

That's great.  Yeah, my OB was like, well next appt. I would like to check your cervix and if your dilated, break your water.  I'm like no you ain't.  He was ok.  Totally ok with it, it is my body, so I think he respected that.  Not getting my water broken this time thankyouverymuch.  He will do what I say unless there is some reason to worry. 

My midwife did e-mail me back and was like I'm totally rolling my eyes here.  lol.gif  She's like really?!  My OB seems to over react to the littlest things, but whatever.  My endo says I'm a model patient and not to worry about babies size either.  And she was ok with me starting the Herbal Induce starting Thursday morning.  If I'm ready it will take by the next day otherwise, I'm on her schedule and whenever she is ready to come out.

I will have everything ready by Wednesday, so bring it on. thumb.gif

#68 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, and now as a bonus, either way, dh is flying down from MI for the holiday weekend.  joy.gif  I haven't seen him in 3 weeks!!!!

#69 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 AM

Aww That will be nice for you to have your DH home for the weekend Cathy!!  I am totally against having my water broken this time around too, I think labour is nicer while its still intact.  lol

At my last midwife appt they offered to do a stretch and sweep, and I declined.  So I have been debating weather or not we should attempt it at my next appt.  I am kind of tempted... Never had one done before though.  Its my understanding it won't really do anything unless my body is gearing up for labour anyways??

Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

#70 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

i'm with you, LovingBaby...the midwives i see offered to stretch and sweep at my next appt (this coming friday) and i said, "no way!" but i'm not really even sure what "stretch and sweep" means, LOL. has anyone done these things before that can help us understand? thx :)

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#71 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is a risk of them accidentally breaking your water when they do a stretch and sweep. And sometimes it hurts....a lot. They try to stretch your cervix open and then insert a finger between your cervix and the bag of waters and loosen them. It causes you to have an irritable uterus contractions, which if your baby is almost ready, then it can spill over into full labor. If not, then it can cause cramps and backache for a couple of days w/o going into labor.

Cathy, I can't wait for you to see your hubby. Yay!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#72 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 11:30 AM

I was up all night last night with some painful contractions, and I felt like I was on the toilet all night. Constantly had to pee, or felt like it, then I'd sit on the toilet trying to pee. I had a little bit of red blood...don't know what that was all about, and losing big clumps of my mucus plug. Today, nothing going on, just hanging out on the couch. Trying to convince DH we need to go finish buying little things (trial size shampoo/condition, etc for the hospital).

I have an NST in the morning, so we'll see what happens then.

#73 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilleBethany View Post

Trying to convince DH we need to go finish buying little things (trial size shampoo/condition, etc for the hospital).

The hospital will supply that stuff.  My vote is..save your money or buy something for the baby instead.  :)  Good luck on your NST tomorrow!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#74 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 11:59 AM

Membrane sweeps are sort of the "most invasive" of the natural induction methods and the "least invasive" of the medical methods.  The basic idea is to lift the bag of waters off the cervix (this causes a shift in hormones) while manually dilating the cervix itself (similar to what a foley cath would do, but on a much smaller scale).  The hope is that with the hormone surge and the more open cervix, the body will take over and labor will begin.  Some care providers will put EPO, Borage Oil, or other natural induction aid on their fingers, working it into the cervix as an extra whammie.  And while some providers will do a membrane strip/sweep and take only a minutes or two, others feel that to be effective the sweep needs to take 10-15 minutes at least.  It's essentially a really really intense vaginal exam/pap smear sort of experience.  So not something you'd do for fun, but not something that is off the charts painful for most women.  I usually think of it as a good time to practice labor coping techniques.  lol

Risks include breaking the bag of waters, infection (especially if you have GBS), and cervical swelling.  Benefits include the chance of staring labor without chemical induction methods or AROM (with the "clock" that often comes along with AROM).  Some women find it very uncomfortable or even painful, others barely notice it.  Some women find that they start contracting or have spotting/bloody show more or less immediately while others feel just a little crampy and that's it.

With my first pregnancy I had 3 membrane sweeps (40 weeks, 41 weeks, 42 weeks) and while they were uncomfortable they weren't painful, and they certainly didn't do anything to start labor since dd1 was born a few days past 42 weeks.  With my second pregnancy/first vbac I again had several membrane sweeps... again they weren't terribly uncomfortable, and I don't know what role they may have played in starting labor, though dd2 was born within 24 hours of a sweep and she was my "earliest" babe at just over 40 weeks.  With my third pregnancy/second vbac I again agreed to having my membranes swept.  The first time at 39 weeks, then 40 weeks, and finally at 41 weeks.  The 41 week sweep was my first "dear gods painful" sweep and it was with a midwife who fell into the "long slow sweep" category.  I did deliver about 12 hours after that sweep.

So... I never had any real complications, only once was it actually painful rather than uncomfortable, but I can't really say it did much.  I do plan on asking for a sweep at my next visit (39 weeks) however.  I think that it's one of those things where the risk/benefit balance is going to be very personal.  If you're dealing with a deadline of sorts (like many vbac moms) or have a complication that might become acute in later pregnancy (blood pressure concerns or something similar) then it makes more sense to try a sweep.  But if you don't have any "reason" for trying it, the risks might outweigh the benefits.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#75 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthylady View Post

The hospital will supply that stuff.  My vote is..save your money or buy something for the baby instead.  :)  Good luck on your NST tomorrow!

My hospital never supplied anything! Lame :)

#76 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

ah, thanks so much for the info, earthylady and wombatclay...much appreciated! that helps me a lot. i have no reason whatsoever (that i know of) to push this along, so i will continue to decline! 

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

#77 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 12:19 PM

I've been in two different hospitals... both have supplied maxi pads, mesh undies, postpartum hospital gowns, and sitz baths for me and diapers, sleepers, and blankets for the babe.  The gowns and blankets were all counted (not for taking home) but in each birth they gave us a knit hat for the babe that we could keep (and with my first babe I did take one of the hospital blankets for her memory box).

For anyone who knits or crochettes... there are a lot of groups that volunteer to make little baby hats, and most hospitals will be thrilled with donations for the preemie/nicu babes as well as with donations for the well baby units.  There are websites that can give you the measurements and patterns and whatnot... a preemie hat is often sized to fit a large lemon so they knit up really quickly!  My SIL makes dozens and dozens and ships them to various hospitals, almost like a habit... if she is sitting still she is crochetting, and she doesn't even need to think about the patterns anymore.  :)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#78 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Really? That kind of stinks, Camille. My hospital provides everything but I like to bring my own shampoo/conditioner because I have too much hair for the sample sizes. *lol* Red blood is a good sign, I'll bet you meet your little one within the next couple of days.

Cathy, that's exciting that your husband is flying in!

I went to church this morning for the first time in several weeks. The baby thought it was the perfect place to start headbutting my cervix repeatedly. My husband's looking at me with this look of pure horror on his face as I'm sitting there sweating and shaking in church. *snort* I thought once that he broke my water because after a particularly good headbutt, I felt a gush of fluid and waddled my way to the ladies room. Thankfully, it was just a bit of mucus plug and nothing else! Praying that he comes this week... after 3pm on Monday though. ;)

#79 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 PM

I'm with you on the hair issue! Assuming everything goes well, I won't be there more than two nights...but I bought a couple trial size of each shampoo and conditioner, because I have *that much* hair. Long, thick, and lots of it! And I picked up disposable razors... because I am that person who shaves every day. I don't need to, and I'm certainly not high maintenance, but I just feel gross if I don't. So you can guarantee that once I'm settled in the recovery room, I'll be showering and shaving :)

I just picked up a few nursing tanks (rather shelf bra tanks) today, and some lounge pants... going to pack tonight, I know, so early, but I already had my list baby at this point, and I was not packed (no camera even in the room... so no photos, but at least we've got a story out of that). I want to be packed this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi_029 View Post

My hospital provides everything but I like to bring my own shampoo/conditioner because I have too much hair for the sample sizes. *lol*

#80 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I can't wait to see hubby.  My MIL did my belly cast today.  Put the pics on the belly thread.  So cool.  I just love her.  Lots to do before starting the natural inducing herbs on Thursday morning.  I'm totally moving over to MIL's by then so she doesn't have to worry about me.  Someone will need to feed the cat though every morning, shouldn't be a big deal.  The dogs have enjoyed being at MIL's so they will be fine.  MIL is allergic to cats so he has to stay there until dh moves all our things next month and takes the kitty with him.  I have most of mine and the babies things I need, but still some stuff I need from there and me and hubby will stay here at MIL's this weekend if I'm not at the hospital this weekend instead.  We'll see.  So exciting!!

#81 of 81 Old 08-28-2011, 08:35 PM

Yeah, I don't have any real issues... i suppose just normal stuff like swollen feet and ankles..  and at my last appt my BP was elevated, hopefully it hasn't gotten too much higher.  So I will just wait and see what happens at my next appointment before deciding yay or nay.  My sister had the good ol stretch and sweep at her mw appt last tuesday and later that night went into labour.  But the mw did say that her cervix was favourable to it... so who knows if she would have gone into labour on her own at that point anyways?! 

Got the baby car seat all cleaned up and ready just in case, and the baby swing too!!  I suppose I should make a hospital bag for just in case we have to transfer as well ....  But I don't know what to pack.  I would under normal circumstances, but the clothes I'd want to pack are my comfy jammies that I wear all the time!!  lol  I was thinking of just a few items for me and baby in one bag? 

Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page