~*Chat Thread for Aug. 22 - 28th*~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 81 Old 08-22-2011, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's amazing how close to Sept. we are.  I wish time would go faster.  18 days before dh comes home and I'm not doing too well with it.  I start having panic attacks at night like too late to go over to MIL's.  So, I'm going to start planning to go over there earlier and spending the night.  She has a tv in the room I will be staying in and I think vegging a little and having someone there will help.  I've never been like this before.  Plus I wake up about 5am and can't get back to sleep and have a minor attack then.  Not cool.  I think being with hubby all day every day and then poof he's gone to start a job, my body no like.  It's like losing your best friend, well I guess that's what it is.  Being pregnant and emotional doesn't help either.  I just hate being under stress, I know its not good for baby.  Trying my best to keep myself occupied, but I've never been like this even when I was with my ex.  I spent 6 months apart from him and it felt pretty good.  Heh.  I guess dh has nothing to worry about anymore, if I'm having panic attacks over him.  He was worried he was just a sperm donor and anything i did to tell him that wasn't true didn't help, now, he's like, well that makes me feel better.lol.gif  Anyway, doing my best over here.

Waiting for several packages to arrive that I ordered this last weekend so I can finish getting ready for this little one.thumb.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#2 of 81 Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

So, definitely a hospital birth for me.  I've got my birth plan and just need to pack my bag and get a small cooler to bring my placenta home in.  I think I'm ok with it.  It will be a new experience, I've never stayed overnight in a hospital before, but will need a game plan so that Maggie doesn't have to go in the nursery at night.  They have a policy about when no one is awake, baby must go in the nursery.  So, will have dh and MIL take shifts when I'm not awake, I'm sure they will be fine with that. 

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#3 of 81 Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Mama2ChiknLil - That is pretty funny about your midwife not knowing how to use a fetoscope - actually it would be quite embarrassing... but if you don't use it you loose it ;)

Wombatclay - I hope you are able to find out childcare that will work for you!  That would be hard to have DH gone for so long at a time, especially if it means baby can't room in with you.

MS B Sprout - It sure would be nice to know when baby will make its big arrival and how long labour will be etc!  I am really lossing patience to find out the sex!  lol

Cathy - I would be mad too if DH did any 'big' purchases withtout talking to me first.  Especially since we don't have any extra money.... and its not likely to get better for the next year! 

My feet and ankles are swelling up now too.  Makes them sore faster, and my pelvis slows me down too... So no exercise happening over here.  Hope your panic attacks settle down, it will probably get better the closer to the 9th and your DHs arrival gets ;) 

HappyMonkey - That is good advice from your friend, now if only I could discipline myself to go to bed on time.... lol 

bignerpie - I hope they figure out the FD license before your homebirth.  Are the ambulances farther away from you than the fire dept?  Something to talk to your midwife about I suppose, she must have to have some sort of plan or make one if thats the case. 

Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

#4 of 81 Old 08-22-2011, 12:08 PM

I pulled all my baby clothes out yesterday and washed and sorted and put them away. I also pulled out my co-sleeper. I had lent it to a friend who had a toddler and a dog and it was returned very very very filthy. So, I took a couple of deep breaths and cleaned it. :) I am already kind of a germaphobe and it just gets worse when I am preparing for baby. After baby comes, I don't care as much about germs, but I do like to have things clean beforehand. Oh well.

My husband starts classes tonight, so he will be working his normal 40 hours then going to class after work. 2 days a week he will go straight from work to school and be back just in time to tuck our boys in bed, the other 2 he will have time to come home and eat dinner and then leave right before bedtime. I was feeling super stressed out about this a couple weeks ago, but right now, I am almost looking forward to the quiet evenings on my own.

I have done very little mental prep for labor. I don't know if this will help me out in the long run or hurt me. We have just been so busy with life and guests and summer that I really haven't had time (or energy) to think about this baby coming! I have started to do a lot of pelvic rocks because he is very much posterior. I quit sitting on the couch and hang out on the floor. I have just barely started doing my relaxation stuff at night before bed. I came up with a 'relaxation routine' at the end of my last pregnancy and actually had a decent labor. I am a little more concerned this time because baby is posterior and my last was not.

I have to go birth kit shopping this weekend too since my home visit is on Labor day and I really really need to start thinking about labor. I don't want to be caught off guard and end up fighting it because I am mentally not ready, nor do I want to be pregnant in October because I am holding onto baby. :)

We also need to settle on a couple of name choices also. We have a couple that I kinda like, but I don't love them. I always wait until after I see the baby before we give it a name.

I am also trying to be much more flexible with the idea of having another hospital birth. Just trying to be more accepting that it could happen. I am hoping to stay home, but am feeling very ambivilent about the whole thing too. This is why I need those quiet evenings, so I can think through what I want! :) I have a very flexible midwife who is being great about my lack of a solid idea of what I really want. We will see what she has to say at the home visit though!!

I am sure we will start to see some baby posts here soon!! Happy labor/postpartum thoughts to everyone!!!!!

#5 of 81 Old 08-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Cathy- I hope the hospital birth works out well for you. I know the nurses have given me some grief about having my dd sleeping on my chest while I was sleeping, but they got over it & I got my way. :)  Resting up sounds like a good plan, panic attacks are no fun. I've had a few of those sleepless nights here lately too... the going to bed at 12 and then being wide awake for the day at 3 am.

I have just a week left to enjoy this last pregnancy. It's bittersweet for sure, knowing that I won't be having any more, and knowing that I will meet my sweet Alice in just 7 days. I refinished a dresser for her room last week and my dh hauled it upstairs yesterday & helped rearrange things. I got her clothes all put away and it finally feels ready for a person. :) I need to get my futoncover off & cleaned & drag the futon into the living room this week before i go in for my c-section. I plan on camping out on the futon downstairs with baby until i can manage stairs & baby well enough to not trip on our giant lab dog. :) My mom is flying in on Sunday to help watch the kids while i go in for surgery & then she'll bring them to the hospital to meet their little sister. I can't wait to see their reactions when they meet her. They have been looking forward to her for a long 9 months!

I wish I had the energy to go do something fun this week with my big kids, but we're under an extreme heat warning (115* till thursday) and my body is starting to feel exhausted, tired, in need of rest for the big day.

treehugger.gif

#6 of 81 Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, 115.  No fun.

I was walking around thinking how my body felt besides tired and I think my body is grieving a loss almost.  That's what it feels like.  It's kind of strange this would happen.  It's like someone died or something.  Strange.  Hopefully I will feel better once I start sleeping over at my IL's.

#7 of 81 Old 08-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Oy.

So... anyone remember how a few months ago the beautiful, antique, sueda couch we were given revealed that it was, in fact, a giant chunk of mold pretending to be a beautiful couch?  We got rid of the couch immediately, bleached anything that stood still and UV lighted the air, tossed out a number of toys/books/art prints/paper goods that were questionably contaminated, and crossed our fingers.  Well... I found mildew on some toys that had been left on the floor during our camping trip (they were on the floor where the couch had been).  DH pulled up some of the flooring to see what was happening and it seems the mold somehow got down into the subfloor and spread from there.

So now, at 38 weeks pregnant, we have to rip out the entire living room floor and subfloor.  Treat the concrete slab with some anti-mold/anti-fungal nastiness, double paint it with drylock/kilz, put down new membrane and subfloor, and install a new floor.  Like this was in the budget, right?  And our living room floor was less than a year old!  Not only that, but most of the kiddos toys have had to go, and many more books.  And we're not sure about the current couch or armchair since we discovered mildew/mold in the folds of a chair that had been (temporarily, like 2-3 weeks) standing near where the evil couch had been.  So we have to cut open the bottom of anything upholstered and look.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And of course I can't help because of the pregnancy, and the kiddos have to be kept away, and we live in a REALLY small house so everything is all messed up.

Then today we got a call from my MIL... she was diagnosed with breast cancer and will be leaving town for treatment.  While this is obviously "not good news" for our birth plans, it's even worse news because my MIL has already lost 3 of her 4 sisters to breast cancer.  She is in her 70s and given her family experience with breast cancer she is really freaked out and convinced that there is no way she can beat this.  This is shaping up to be a very difficult year... my dad is hanging on but there is no saying how long he can keep going, my MIL is now facing what she sees as a death sentence, her sister (they share a house near us) is dealing with uncontrolled diabetes and a heart condition and my MIL has told us she doesn't think her sister is going to be with us long.  I mean, this is getting insane.  :(  We've been reading books like "The Fall of Freddie the Leaf" to the kids (it's a circle of life "everything changes" sort of story told from the point of view of leaves on a tree) and stuff like that, but it seems like this is going to be a year of saying goodbye and letting go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 81 Old 08-22-2011, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my!!  (((hugs)))  to you and your family.  That is rough.

#9 of 81 Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM

And today is ds's second birthday.  No party (since we can't have people over with everything all messed up like this), but I have some gifts ready and the kiddos helped make an ice cream cake.  But DH and I are really not in the festive spirit and it's kind of unfair to ds.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#10 of 81 Old 08-22-2011, 05:12 PM

(((wombat))) That all sounds so rough. hug.gif

Cathy, I am sending you good vibes for hospital birthing. hug.gif

punky, I hope you get rested up for your surgery. C/s mamas have a special place in my heart, having had 2 myself. stillheart.gif

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#11 of 81 Old 08-22-2011, 08:12 PM

I just lost another beautiful long post to all of you ladies!!

So a shorter version:

Cathy - I think I posted before I saw your post about the decision being made for homebirth.  Sorry to hear that you don't get to try for a HB I remember you being excited about it earlier in our pregnancies.  Wanted to comment on how since your DH is gone off to work you are suffering a loss of sorts, and being so close to our EDDs can't help emotionally...  :(

Wombat so sorry to hear about your MILs health.  Must be a lot to handle with everything else, and then mold in your living room too.  grouphug.gif

PunkyMummy - I haven't had much energy lately either, but I think its just from being lazy and pregnant ;)  Our weather has been very mild all summer, and rained today too!  It must be pretty neat to know when your baby will be born, hope you get lots of rest beforehand!

NC05 -  Wanted to let you know you are not alone, I haven't done much to prepare for labour either.  I am just going with the 'flow' and hoping that works out for us!!  lol 

Did I mention my ankles are no longer?  My swelling has moved up from my feet to my ankles :(  I did not have swelling with my two previous pregnancies, so this is new.  And I have to live in flip flops now, only one pair that fits!!  lol

Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

#12 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

LovingBaby - thanks.  I am feeling a whole lot better that I"m not in limbo and being somewhere at night where I'm not alone helps.  My IL's have been wonderful to me and I think feeling isolated at home didn't help and now if I really need to I can get on netflix, which I can't at home.thumb.gif Though having prodromal labor from 2-6am isn't doing me any good sleep wise.lol.gif

#13 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 06:19 AM

Hi ladies...Ill keep this short and to the point. Im going on day 5 of having kidney stone symptoms and not passing a thing. Its making me a bit crazy. I feel like I have a UTI 24/7 but luckily I havent had the awful back pains since Saturday. That day it was so bad I thought the pain put me into labor and ended up getting check in L&D. Although I was having notable contractions they deemed no labor, just a really low baby who is curled in a ball on the same side as the effected ureter. No, uti or kidney infection according to the culture.

Im drinking half my body weight in ounces of water, incorporating lemon and cranberry concentrate gels, I dont drink soda or coffee..okay maybe a cup of decaf here or there but not regularly. The stones are calcium oxalate so I cannot take the coconut because that contains CO. Anyone have any experience with pregnancy stones? Im thinking of going back to see my chiro for some webster today. Maybe my uterus is sitting wrong cause of her position and all the additional pressure to the right can be relieved? I just want to sleep and feel like I can go more than 10 minutes from my home without worrying Im going to go into a full blown attack. And poor DH is kept awake all night by me tossing and turning and constantly going to the bathroom. He wont let me sleep elsewhere either but I feel awful bc he gets up at 5 to take care of the animals and head to work.

Thanks.

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#14 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Dlynn - that is awful hug2.gif  I hope you pass it soon and can get some rest. greensad.gif

#15 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 08:40 AM

Dlynn - No advice/experience, but I feel for you momma!  I heard kidney stones can be quite painful.  Hopefully they pass soon! 

#16 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 08:55 AM

wombat (((HUGS))) that is a lot to take in all at once. Sending some good vibes your way. ribbonpink.gif

Cathy, glad you're feeling a little more chipper!

Dlynn, yikes. Does NOT sound like any fun at all. So sorry, Mama.

treehugger.gif

#17 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 AM

Cathy- I don't know what the official policy was at the hospital where I had my son, but he slept in bed with me while we were there. A couple of the nurses said something about it, and I just smiled and nodded, and yeah sure, I'll put him in the bassinet... I think you said somewhere that you don't have much experience with hospitals? I'd say that the actual policies aren't as important as the individual nurses. You might get a totally by the books nurse that follows every policy perfectly, and you might get a really laid-back nurse that lets you do what you want. If you are assigned a nurse that you really don't like, you can ask for a different one. They really make or break your whole experience, IMO.

Wombatclay- So sorry that you have to deal with all of that, especially so close to the end. hug2.gif

DLynn- I've never had a kidney stone, but a very good friend of mine has a condition where she gets them all the time, and she is always in the hospital and getting surgeries to have them removed. I don't know the pain myself, but going through it with her, I can only imagine how bad it is. I hope you get some relief soon.

LovingBaby- Still no word on the EMT license. Instead of having an ambulance less than 2 miles from my house, they need to come from the station ~10 miles away. I live on the side of a mountain, so it's not like I'm really close to anything to begin with. Our fire station is really just a little substation with 1 fire truck and an ambulance, staffed by volunteers. I'm still thinking positively, that I won't have the need for transport at all.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#18 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 11:04 AM

Holy crap! We just had an earthquake!

I've never experienced anything like that before. I'm still shaking! I wonder if all this excitement might get things going. Wouldn't that be a story for my little one!

#19 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

Holy crap! We just had an earthquake!

I've never experienced anything like that before. I'm still shaking! I wonder if all this excitement might get things going. Wouldn't that be a story for my little one!

Hehe.  Yeah, I felt it too, don't worry that was nothing.  I'm from CA.  I went through the 89 earthquake, really, that was just a little shake. I did think I was imagining things at first until someone on fb confirmed it for me.  I don't like them, but it felt like the cat jumped on the bed.

#20 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 AM

My whole house was shaking, and the pictures on my walls were moving!

We had a much smaller earthquake, about 50 miles away, last year, but it was really early in the morning, and I slept through it. This is the first one I've ever felt. And I heard it coming, too! That was a crazy experience.

#21 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

My whole house was shaking, and the pictures on my walls were moving!

We had a much smaller earthquake, about 50 miles away, last year, but it was really early in the morning, and I slept through it. This is the first one I've ever felt. And I heard it coming, too! That was a crazy experience.

Wow, that would have freaked me out too, we only got a shake here. 

#22 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 PM

I'm in MD and we got a good little shaking too.. moved the bed while I was trying to nap and rattled the dishes. Definitely got my heart rate going and I wondered if it might move the baby too, but I don't think so. ;-)

In other news,  I am kind of freaking out about my hospital bag too.. i have never stayed in a hospital (had HB last time) and I also can't really remember how things were right after DD was born. I think I just sat around in a nursing bra and shorts for about a week...

Mama to two sweet girls!

#23 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBean View Post

I'm in MD and we got a good little shaking too.. moved the bed while I was trying to nap and rattled the dishes. Definitely got my heart rate going and I wondered if it might move the baby too, but I don't think so. ;-)

In other news,  I am kind of freaking out about my hospital bag too.. i have never stayed in a hospital (had HB last time) and I also can't really remember how things were right after DD was born. I think I just sat around in a nursing bra and shorts for about a week...

I just started a thread about what to put in my hospital bag yesterday.  Should be easy to find, lots of great info from Wombatclay of course.thumb.gif

#24 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM

bladder/kidney woes- Ouch!  Is there anything they can do (medically) to help?  That sounds terrible!

earthquake- didn't feel it, though DH did.  I lived in CA as a kid and was visiting relatives in Santa barbara for the Loma Prieta quake, but upstate NY gets so few quakes I'm sort of sorry I "missed" this one.  To throw in my reference librarian two cents (LOL!)... quakes on the east coast give more bang for their buck because the underlying rocks are more solid and the shock waves move through them more easily/quickly.  That's why you get a relatively small quake in Virginia but you have noticable results (pictures or glasses falling for instance) hundreds of miles away.  Like the historical "bells rang in Boston" quake.  A similarly sized quake on the west coast doesn't go as far or do as much because the underlying rock is already broken up and fractured.  You need a lot more enegry to get the same effect.

Random factoids unite!  (hey, it's something to think about other than pregnancy aches, pains, and anticipation right?)  ;)

#25 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 PM

Bignerpie - We have more or less the same set up here - except our FD is able to respond?.  We live out of town, so our fire dept is close and staffed by volunteers.  They are trained as first responders though and if we called 911 would most likely be the first ones on scene.  Followed by the ambulance, and they are located about a 10 min drive from our house. 

Can't believe you had an earthquake!  I heard about it on the radio this morning driving home from the mw appt!!!  Glad it wasn't too big!

#26 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

lol.gif - Wombatclay

#27 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hubby is leaving tomorrow to head out for a NASCAR race this weekend.  It's an all expense paid trip and I just couldn't tell him no.  I DID tell him I was sort of uncomfortable with the idea as I will be 37 weeks on Thursday.  BUT!  I would also feel extremely bad if he missed it and stayed home and then no baby came.  The earliest I have ever gone before was 39 weeks 1 day. And, this is a pretty rare opportunity for him to go and have some fun.  SO!  Off he goes and will be gone until Monday night.  

Baby MUST stay in until at least Monday night.  :)  praying.gif

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#28 of 81 Old 08-23-2011, 08:38 PM

That's nice of you, Earthylady. My husband is on a pool team, and they won a trip to Las Vegas. The rest of his team is there right now, but he is sitting right beside me. I know he really wanted to go, but he also said that he wouldn't be able to enjoy himself because he would be too worried about me. I would have been able to go too, but under the circumstances...

#29 of 81 Old 08-24-2011, 07:15 AM

Hi ladies!

Cathy - Sorry to hear about the hospital birth... but I agree with what someone else said about the nurses making the difference.  I've met a few of the nurses at our hospital, and they are very laid back and let you do your own thing.  When I went in for the tour, most of the rooms were full, but no babies in the nursery - they try to get the baby to stay in the room if at all possible.  I've also heard bringing in some food for the nurses (cookies, brownies, biscuits, etc.) can go a long way to helping you get your way!  

Wombat - hug2.gif  So sorry to hear about all that is going on with your family's health.  And the mold... yuck!

Dlynn - I hope you are feeling better with the kidney issues!  

Earthylady - That's nice of you to let DH go on that trip!  I don't know that I would have been as kind, but that could be because this is our first and I'd have no idea what to expect.  

Not much going on here... just a lot of waiting.  I'm only 35 weeks, so I still got a ways to go.  

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#30 of 81 Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 AM

Hi everyone! So I've been MIA for a bit...mostly because I finally understand the hormonal pregnant woman thing! I have snapped at absolutely everyone who has had the misfortune of dealing with me in the last few days and I cry constantly! 38 weeks today, Kai still hadn't dropped (so much sciatic and general nerve pain in my pelvis but his feet are still very much in my left ribs). You are all so amazing, to be dealing with mold, dh's out of town, kidney stones...and I've been in tears about feeling "unproductive" now that I'm finally on maternity leave...pathetic!

Add to the joy, carpal tunnel in my right hand and gbs positive.
I'm a first timer and I have to admit I had no idea what this last month was going to be like.

Cathy, see if you can chat with the hospitals IBCLC. Make a big enough stink about exclusively breastfeeding on cue and remember to take a designated "B!?@#" with you! Also...for all of you mommies birthing in a hospital, a dear friend of mine is an RN for L&D and has basically told me food is the best bribe ever: take snacks for nurses! Chocolates, cookies, whatever. Nurses make or break the experience so keep them happy!

I have been meditating every day, telling baby he can trust me and its safe for him to come out. Honestly though? I've never changed a diaper in my life or held a crying baby. I feel very connected to this baby inside of me, but is it terrible that I can't even imagine him on the outside? I get the birthing process and am very comfortable with our plan to UC, especially since our new apartment is a 1 minute drive from the hospital, but I feel bad that I can't picture him in my arms. Ok, crying again...

You are all in my heart!

xoxo

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page