What about the hurricane?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just thought of it -- don't they say the change in pressure from storms can kick off labor?  That would be a heck of a thing.. trying to drive through rain and wind to the hospital..  ;-)

Mama to two sweet girls!

#2 of 24 Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 PM

I wouldn't mind if that happened, though yeah, didn't think about having to drive in the storm to the hospital. lol.gif  Maybe it will put me into labor and then I won't need to go to the hospital until most of the storm has passed.orngtongue.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#3 of 24 Old 08-24-2011, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been having weird cramps and feeling nauseous all day. Planning a home birth! I hope this baby comes *after* the hurricane and not before or during. My due date is Sept 4th... I went a week early with my first!

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#4 of 24 Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post

I've been having weird cramps and feeling nauseous all day. Planning a home birth! I hope this baby comes *after* the hurricane and not before or during. My due date is Sept 4th... I went a week early with my first!

thumb.gif

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

#5 of 24 Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 PM

I've been feeling strange too...realistically, if I go into labor during the hurricane or immediate aftermath (if there's flooding, etc) I won't be able to go to the hospital I was planning on...might even be a stretch to get to the nearby hospital which isn't nearly as good. At that point I might hang on as long as possible and take my chances with an accidental UC. 

#6 of 24 Old 08-25-2011, 06:09 AM

Thankfully I live less than five miles from the hospital, so I think we'd be able to make it... although the roads here flood terribly in a normal storm, and they are calling for 5-10 inches of rain.  I'll only be about 35w4d when the storm hits though, so I doubt if I'll have anything to worry about.  The thought did cross my mind, though!  

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#7 of 24 Old 08-25-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBean View Post

I just thought of it -- don't they say the change in pressure from storms can kick off labor?  That would be a heck of a thing.. trying to drive through rain and wind to the hospital..  ;-)

Im hopeful- Im 38 1/2 weeks- they are ready if i am.  My only worry is that the doula wouldnt be able to get there - but it's not supposed to be that bad here.  A little pressure change, a little castor oil and im good to go :)

#8 of 24 Old 08-25-2011, 10:29 AM

Ha! I just posted about this in the chat thread...here is what I wrote...

All of us East Coast Mama's ready for the hurricane? I'm actually hoping my birth supplies I ordered come in today or tomorrow! I am having a hospital birth but my last 2 births were so fast I wanted to be prepared in case I end up having no choice but to UC somewhere! I ordered from Confident Beginnings and they have an awesome supply list of affordable birth supplies if anyone is still looking for supplies.

http://www.confidentbeginnings.com/shop/

They also sell a lot of herbs as well and some postpartum and BF supplies too. Anyway just looked up the tracking on that and it should be here today! Yay! Personally Id rather have her at home with DH rather than risk driving in 90mph winds in labor with 2 kids and perhaps deliver on the side of the highway! Not that Im due right now but DD was born at 37 weeks and I will be 37 weeks this weekend...thinking ahead is all! :-)

I did run to the store for some extra bottled water and propane for the camp stove. We dont have a generator and we have a well. Not too worried about it but Id rather have a few back up supplies. Ive been very crampy as well. Baby is really squirmy too! Who knows but were ready for her when she decides to make her grand entrance!!! Just praying she doesnt activate the kidney stones when in labor...GAH! Going to the chiro tomorrow to see is she cant remove her off my right ureter! lol!

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#9 of 24 Old 08-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Im 38 1/2 weeks and just checked with my doula about comfort in getting here this weekend if needed.  She tells me Im 'weeks away" and shouldnt be thinking labor.  HUH?!?!!!!!!!!!!???????

#10 of 24 Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

Im 38 1/2 weeks and just checked with my doula about comfort in getting here this weekend if needed.  She tells me Im 'weeks away" and shouldnt be thinking labor.  HUH?!?!!!!!!!!!!???????

Seriously!? *weeks*? What is she thinking? I'm 38.5 weeks too, and I know it could happen at any moment. Lots of women give birth before 40.

I'm in NY - so I'm planning on heading to a friends house in MA. Hopefully the storm won't be bad further inland. I'm not brave enough to attempt UC. like you other mamas!

familybed2.gif Wife to dh_malesling.GIF -  Mama to kid.gif DS 6/08 and DS babyboy.gif 9/11  homebirth.jpg

A tad socially awkward redface.gif

#11 of 24 Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM

I'm so so ready.

#12 of 24 Old 08-25-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post

I'm so so ready.

Me too. I'm due on the 8th, and the full moon is on the 10th, so I'm not getting too excited about the hurricane bringing anything on. But if it did, I wouldn't complain... 2whistle.gif

I'm far enough inland that we probably won't get much from the hurricane, but our power likes to go out if you even think about it going out, so I'll have DH make sure we have plenty of gas for the generator. I guess it's supposed to be as bad as Isabel in '03? We lost power for 2 or 3 days back then.

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#13 of 24 Old 08-25-2011, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I thought the full moon was the 12th.  duck.gif

I've been wondering if the hurricane or full moon would have any effect on anyone.  With my last baby we had a hurricane come through 2 days before my due date but I still went another 6 days before baby came.  shrug.gif  So that didn't help.  Full moons haven't ever helped me either.  But I know some people are really sensitive to those things so it should be interesting to watch when the babies start coming!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#14 of 24 Old 08-25-2011, 08:04 PM

You're right. I was going by memory, and that's not very reliable anymore. redface.gif

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the full moon for the month my son was born, and he was born 5 days before it. Maybe it doesn't affect me as much as I thought. 

ribboncesarean.gif 2/4/2009.  hbac.gif 9/6/2011!

#15 of 24 Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 PM

I checked my last two labors on the moon chart and apparently I need to be more worried about the new moon.  redface.gif  One was 13 days before the full moon and the other was 14 days before the full moon, which would put me in the new moon phase for both of them.  Hmmmmm.

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#16 of 24 Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthylady View Post

I checked my last two labors on the moon chart and apparently I need to be more worried about the new moon.  redface.gif  One was 13 days before the full moon and the other was 14 days before the full moon, which would put me in the new moon phase for both of them.  Hmmmmm.

OH YES PLESES_ have the new moon plus hurricane- PLUS my husband's prediction of the 28th- get things going.  

EarthyLady likes this.
#17 of 24 Old 08-26-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

OH YES PLESES_ have the new moon plus hurricane- PLUS my husband's prediction of the 28th- get things going.  

That would be awesome for you!  joy.gif 

Not so much for me though.  The 28th is my birthday and my husband won't be back from his trip until the following day so he'd miss the birth.  That would totally not be cool with me.  

#18 of 24 Old 08-26-2011, 04:43 PM

no- that would not be cool- maybe Monday?  Where we are the driving will be better Monday- and Id like the weekend to clean up our house :)

#19 of 24 Old 08-26-2011, 05:36 PM

I'm already feeling more intense bh contractions down to my cervix from the pressure from the storm coming.thumb.gif

#20 of 24 Old 08-27-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:

I'm already feeling more intense bh contractions down to my cervix from the pressure from the storm coming.thumb.gif

Me too!  Always gets my hopes up...

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

#21 of 24 Old 08-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleypLC View Post

Me too!  Always gets my hopes up...

Yeah and then I went and ruined it and drank some pregnancy tea and the strong ones went away and I slept really well last night.  Couldn't go back to sleep at 5, but before then was good.

#22 of 24 Old 08-27-2011, 12:04 PM

I dont feel a darn thing yet - but we are in NH and it's not supposed to hit til tomorrow.....

#23 of 24 Old 08-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Yeah and then I went and ruined it and drank some pregnancy tea and the strong ones went away and I slept really well last night.  Couldn't go back to sleep at 5, but before then was good.

I slept really good too!  NO waking for anything from 1130-500...now that we bragged we'll have a horrible night.  lol 

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

#24 of 24 Old 08-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleypLC View Post

I slept really good too!  NO waking for anything from 1130-500...now that we bragged we'll have a horrible night.  lol 

Isn't that the way it works? orngtongue.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page