Need quick, easy supper ideas. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-26-2011, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas-

What simple summer food are you making for yourself and your family in these last weeks of pregnancy? I feel like I'm always out of good ideas, even though it is high season for delicious veg and fruit. Well, today is my due date, so I guess it might be natural to feel less on top of things than usual. Honestly, I can't organize my way out of a paper bag these days...

We have enjoyed a bumper crop of lettuce this summer due to fairly cool and rainy weather, so have had MANY salads, but they are almost getting boring- what else do you do with lettuce, if anything?

Mushrooms and eggs are turning me off lately, but that will probably go away when I'm not pregnant anymore.

#2 of 5 Old 08-26-2011, 05:20 PM

I'm listening in!  Between my disappearing appetite and my raging heartburn, I have not been so keen on our usual dinner foods and have been at a loss when it comes to planning the meals. So we have resorted to take out more than we should lately!

We generally follow this plan and it works pretty well

Monday - sandwiches, salad or soup depending on the season

Tuesday - Italian

Wednesday - burritos/soft tacos

Thursday - breakfast for dinner

Friday - hamburgers or salmon burgers

Saturday - something yummy on the grill :)

Sunday - something yummy in the crock pot

#3 of 5 Old 08-27-2011, 08:24 AM

We've been doing a lot of rice noodles with shredded veggies and cheese, pita or corn chips with melted cheese and fresh veggie salsa dumped on top, and frittattas (essentially omlettes, but easier).

Our CSA has us flooded with squash and green beans and tomatoes so those have been playing a big role and our chickens keep us in eggs soooooo.... those are our key players.

We've also had a few days where we had cereal for dinner LOL.  Oh, and pancakes!  Those are always popular around here and can be made savory (with grated veggies in them, topped with crumbled tofu and grilled veggies) or sweet (with raisins baked in and yogurt on top).  One of my cookbooks has a stack of recipes for making sandwiches out of waffles/pancakes and those recipes inspired us to make pancakes a more frequent meal option.

(we're gluten free because dd1 has celiac disease, so regular pastas and breads don't work for us... gluten free pancakes and waffles taste better and are easier to make than gluten free breads)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 5 Old 08-27-2011, 12:00 PM

Im probably not much help since I cant get enough salad!!!  I make a big one every night, pile on corn, roasted veggies, some kind of protein and nutritional yeast- add good bread and Ive got dinner.  Do you still have an appetite for veggies, even if not in salad form?  I love to grille or roast whatever we have and eat it all week- that way you can make sandwiches, add to pasta or rice - and dinner is quick and easy.  I do the same with corn- which is amazing here right now- make a ton and it is ready for anyone to add to their dinner.  If dinner isnt quick and easy these days it isnt happening- I can only imagine what it'll look like postpartum- soy nuggets on salads??  :)

#5 of 5 Old 08-27-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mmmm, savoury pancakes are something that I have never explored, and ds will eat anything that looks even vaguely pancake-like. I'm going to give it a go!

Gracecody, I had also forgotten about trying other proteins in a bun, like salmon. Sounds good and easy. We don't have a grill or bbq, so I never think to make those quick summer favourites, like burgers or dogs/tufu dogs.

We didn't sign up for a CSA this summer because I didn't want the responsibility of having to use up veggies other than what we have grown in our own tiny garden, even though the CSA would have meant much more variety.

nald1, I love veggies and eat a lot of them, especially at this time of year, but it just seems to be the same old standby combinations day after day. I haven't done any roasted veggies since last winter though, and they are very versatile and pretty easy- I'm inspired to do a batch and see where they lead for quick meals.

Thanks, ladies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page