Amy WAHM to Elle 3/2/2004, Meadow 12/02/2006, Azaliah 4/09/2009, and Olive 09/23/2011. I have been married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....
Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH , mama to beautiful DS Kai 9/2011, #2 due 10/2015
This is my down time, I've run out of energy to do anything else and I can't sleep so I'll try to get as much of the story as I can.
So Sunday morning at 8:30 I woke up to my water leaking, but not broken, I called my midwife, since it was during the day, to give them a heads up. Contractions didn't start until around 4:30 but were very manageable. Around 1:30 am they really picked up so I called my midwife and she came to check on me. Contractions weren't very regular but getting stronger, she didn't want to check me because my membranes were ruptured and I wasn't in active labor yet, so she gave me a shot of gravol and some Tylenol and told me to get some rest. I managed to sleep for a couple hours, took a warm shower for about an hour, and then dozed between contractions for a couple more hours. As planned I called my midwife in the morning, they decided since contractions had started there was no need to come in for a stress test and told me to call when contractions regulated. By about 1:00 pm they were still all over the place but my midwife came and checked and said everything was fine and check in again in a few hours. By about 2:00 pm the contractions changed and become much stronger, even unbearable. I called the midwife back, she checked me and I was about 7 cm dialated so she suggested we head to the hospital. She picked the furtherest one away because they had the better monitoring, which horrified me because it was rush hour. Worst car ride of my life!!! I kept begging them to let me stay home but since I'm a VBAC my midwife didn't want that. She told me after that she suspected I was actually fully dilated in the car but didn't want to freak me out. As soon as we got to the hospital I headed straight for the tub, which didn't help nearly as much as I thought it would, I begged for an epidural to no avail since I was already fully dilated but hey I was in the moment and anything sounded good at the time, but the midwife brought me nitrous and I LOVED that! I started pushing in the tub, not willingly, my whole body just kind of siezed up and I was pushing. At which point they took the gas away, I almost punched them, and made me move to the bed. It took an hour to push her out, I didn't have the energy to maintain the momentum so she kept rocking in and out with every push. I didn't think I was ever going to get her out, it even crossed my mind a few times that I should just give up and let them do a c-section, but my midwife yelled at me that would be ridiculous having come so far with no epidural. Thankfully she was being pretty tough on me because I was being a bit of a pain in the butt at some points and probably needed the kick for the encouragement. When I heard both midwives and my husband gasp at the progress of the really good pushes that encouraged me to push harder. Finally at 8:59 pm she was out, 6 lbs. 7 oz., tiny, but so am I and I had second degree tearing, which they decided against stitching, so I'm not moving very well for the next couple days. I had chosen against oxytocin for the placenta delivery but my midwife pointed out that I had been contracting for about 30 hours and enough was enough, so a quick shot and all was done.
So far we're doing good, tired, sore, but she's latching and eating quite well.
Good luck to all of those yet to come. Hopefully this gives some encouragement, I cried for an epidural or something, anything, but I did it, so don't give up. On the other hand, if it's out of your control and things don't go the way you planned then take peace knowing you did all you could!