Mothering Forum banner

*~Chat Thread for Aug. 29th - Sept. 4th~*

3K views 95 replies 20 participants last post by  CamilleBethany 
#1 ·
Well, this might be the last chat thread I start before the baby comes. Who knows?!? I've really enjoyed this group of mamas. I can't wait to meet this little one. At the moment I am feeling the best I've felt in awhile. I think my body has gotten used to her dropping and I don't really have any aches and pains at the moment. Life is good, in fact I could just stay pregnant for awhile.
lol.gif
Just long enough for hubby to get here. Probably means now that I'm comfy, the sooner she will come, right?
lol.gif
Can't wait to have my little nurser in my arms.

See less See more
#2 ·
Cathy - I'm glad your DH will be coming to visit soon... and I hope your little one makes her appearance right-on-time while DH plans to be in town!

I'm starting to feel like I'll be pregnant forever. I'm not even sure if the baby has turned from transverse yet, so I'm pretty sure I haven't started dropping or anything yet. I'm only 36 weeks... these last four weeks are going to drag by!

#3 ·
Hey Cathy, glad to hear you're feeling good! That's great!
thumb.gif

Val, I thought of you last night. I was supposed to be sleeping, but was instead awake palpating my belly, feeling that my baby was transverse.
eyesroll.gif
It was only when I was lying on my right side, but it was obviously a transverse lie. Baby butt poking straight up to the ceiling, and when I pushed it I could feel her head poking down toward the mattress. Some hands-and-knees time seemed to help move her back into a decent position.

There is also a thread in the August DDC right now about a mama with a transverse baby.

Here's hoping your little one turns soon!

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValH View Post

Cathy - I'm glad your DH will be coming to visit soon... and I hope your little one makes her appearance right-on-time while DH plans to be in town!

I'm starting to feel like I'll be pregnant forever. I'm not even sure if the baby has turned from transverse yet, so I'm pretty sure I haven't started dropping or anything yet. I'm only 36 weeks... these last four weeks are going to drag by!
Valerie, I hope your baby turns soon. Hey in a week your babe could come any time.
thumb.gif

#5 ·
Cathy I hope your baby decides to come while your DH is here! That would be pretty spectacular!! :) I can't wait to meet my little one either, and I really can't wait to find out if its a boy or a girl!

Val I hope your baby gets into position for you soon!

Ms B Sprout I try to palpate my belly all the time too, but I have no clue what I am feeling.. Just going by what the midwifes say position baby is in I can guess.

#6 ·
I haven't really gotten in on the chat threads yet, but I'm excited so I wanted to share.... Just got back from a checkup, and I had her go ahead and check my cervix. I'm 3 cm and 50% effaced, and everything is very soft! He's OA, negative 2 station and I'm gbs negative. Also, starting last night (tmi, sorry) I had seriously epic diarrhea, but I'm definitely not sick, and it wasn't even like the miserable cramping sort of diarrhea where I'm afraid to walk away from the bathroom. Really just felt like a cleaning out of sorts, which I know can sometimes be an indicator that labor is near. I'm 37 weeks tomorrow and this babe is another big one, so bring it on, I say! I'd still happily go to the weekend (ds started preschool today and I'd like for him to be able to go his first week uninterrupted) but if the little man wants to come sooner, that's cool too. My b-day is on Wednesday, so that would be a fun present. :)

#7 ·
i'm so anxious for this baby to come!!! come on, baby! (EDD Thursday) all the BH and pains etc etc are SUCH a tease. :( i was 2 cm and he touched her head last week at my appt (Wed.) come on!!!

#8 ·
I'm mixed... we got the floor done, and much of the house is back together (a week of focusing on JUST the floor meant alot of routine chores got left undone so I'm behind on a lot of stuff). So on that side I'm ready ready for the babe!

On the other hand, both of my older girls decided they really really REALLY want to be in some sort of regular play/school situation so we've been scrambling to find things. It looks like we've been handed a miracle (an integrated preschool has a one morning a week slot open for dd2 and it's run by the same group that did her initial therapy so we know/like them... and both girls qualify for an "after school program" being started by a local waldorf school even though the girls are homeschooled they "count"... and both the preschool morning and the after school program are affordable!). But the catch is the girls have to have physicals and whatnot first... and the earliest the dr can see them is Sept 6th. So it would be handy to either have the baby pronto or not have the baby till the afternoon of the 6th. LOL

The hurricane gave us a day of rainy autumnal weather so today I pulled out some hoodies and jackets for the kids... they're so thrilled, as am I, to be moving into jacket weather! :)

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

I'm mixed... we got the floor done, and much of the house is back together (a week of focusing on JUST the floor meant alot of routine chores got left undone so I'm behind on a lot of stuff). So on that side I'm ready ready for the babe!

On the other hand, both of my older girls decided they really really REALLY want to be in some sort of regular play/school situation so we've been scrambling to find things. It looks like we've been handed a miracle (an integrated preschool has a one morning a week slot open for dd2 and it's run by the same group that did her initial therapy so we know/like them... and both girls qualify for an "after school program" being started by a local waldorf school even though the girls are homeschooled they "count"... and both the preschool morning and the after school program are affordable!). But the catch is the girls have to have physicals and whatnot first... and the earliest the dr can see them is Sept 6th. So it would be handy to either have the baby pronto or not have the baby till the afternoon of the 6th. LOL

The hurricane gave us a day of rainy autumnal weather so today I pulled out some hoodies and jackets for the kids... they're so thrilled, as am I, to be moving into jacket weather! :)
I so miss jacket weather. Not here.
lol.gif
It was 90 yesterday here.

Well, I got the car seat today, going to wash the cover and hope it dries overnight and then I will put it in and go by the fire department tomorrow morning and have them check it. I went by there this am and they said to just call ahead so they know I'm coming. So excited!!! I will have a car seat in my car.
love.gif
I also got a medela hand pump because last time I over produced and was in a lot of pain the first 3 months, no infections or mastitis, but was thoroughly uncomfortable. I bought bags to go with it so I can share the wealth if anyone wants it. Just need to bring a couple more things to MIL's and I will be ready. Just so so exciting!!!

#11 ·
I've been reading everyone's updates, but I haven't really had a chance to respond. Alli and Smurfy and everyone else, I'm thinking about you!
love.gif

My toddler has been sick for the first time ever, so he's had most of my attention. Just a little stomach bug or something he ate that didn't agree with him. Nothing major, but it was a first for both of us. He's had two mild fevers before, but that's it. He seems to be doing much better today.

I was talking to my sister today, and she reminded me that I was 2cm dilated when I went to the hospital in labor with my son. I had already had 8+ hours of hard contractions before that, so I'm feeling pretty awesome that I'm already 2cm with just some annoying BH.
thumb.gif

I posted a few days ago that I wasn't sure if I was in early labor or if it was just prodromal labor, and I haven't updated since then. What I was feeling was the baby dropping yet again. It definitely feels like she's engaged. I'm hoping that something happens this week!
orngbiggrin.gif

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ChicknLil View Post

So sleep is no longer my friend. Up until Friday I was still sleeping like a log, and then boom! No more. Sigh

Sending happy labor-baby-turning-organizing vibes to everyone!
So sorry. Sleep is usually not my friend, but last night and the nap yesterday were most excellent. Hoping I have another night of restful sleep, but I don't count on it.

Bignerpie - I'm glad your little one is feeling better. Being sick is no fun. Hoping something starts for you this week.

I'm just waiting. Nothing going on. Just a big 'ol waitathon.
orngtongue.gif

#14 ·
I've been wanting a coffee from Starbucks for the last couple of days. i haven't drank coffee in a really long time. Even if i WERE to get it, it would still be decaf, but I REALLY want a Carmel Frap or Mocha or something.
redface.gif
I've not indulged just because I think it's a waste of money.

#15 ·
Earth Lady.. you can get the frapachino's with a cream base instead of a coffee base. I did that last week and it was delicious!! Give it a try.

My babe too has dropped alot.. and I feel really comfortable (except for shifting side to side in the night). Unfortunately my 20 month old just started to cut in 2 new molars and is wanting to nurse like 10x a night, and from 5 am onwards (If I don't she wakes right away.. so I am better off in bed nursing her). I'm getting tired. Had a nap today though.

Midwife appointment tomorrow... getting excited and wishing for baby SOON!!! Due date this Saturday! That's based on my dates though, and it might have been a few days earlier (conception) than I remembered... so you never know!!

Did you know though according to Baby Center only 20% of babies come before their official due date, 5% on the due date, and 75% AFTER the due date? Crazy!!

#16 ·
Oh earthylady you are not alone! Starbucks...my greatest craving! I actually stopped drinking coffee in may 2010 (no small feat, family's Cuban!) And did not even think about it until this past Memorial Day when I absolutely had to have it! Long story short...i have had 2-3 cups of black coffee a week ever since! I've had to fight the urge to have one EVERY DAY since starting maternity leave!!

Cathy that is an unfortunate thing to crave in this heat! I have been thinking a lot about mashed potatos though...so, I completely understand!

For you mommies who have been though this before, do you end up getting to sleep before labor starts? I got a little panicky today thinking how in the world I am going to be able to handle labor (likely a long one, first baby!) If I am this exhausted???

#17 ·
Mama2chicknlil, being well-rested at the outset of labor is very important to me, because I have only ever experienced looong hard labors (20 hours and 35 hours). I am taking a small dose of melatonin some nights to mellow me out and get some rest. I am also taking a small dose of benadryl some nights if I wake up with the itchies, which can sometimes keep me awake. Here at the very very end, I am ok with one night of disturbed sleep but not 2 in a row, so that's my cost-benefit analysis for deciding to take a sleep aid.

Also, when early labor hits, I am going to be very disciplined about napping/resting and not getting super-duper excited and running around doing a bunch of stuff.

#18 ·
Good point about getting rest when labor kicks off, I imagine it's not easy though! Melatonin seems fairly harmless, maybe I will try that out. My biggest problem right now is having to pee every hour. Also, I haven't heard many moms voice this, but my baby is getting heavy and when I lay on my right side (the side he likes me to sleep on) his weight settles and when I have to get up I feel all of this pulling and cramping in my side. The difficulty isn't in falling asleep the first time but the subsequent 10 times!!! :/

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilleBethany View Post

Anyone else having menstrual like cramps all the time? It's not contractions, just constant cramps...the kind that not pregnant would send me running to the bathroom to see if my period started. It's painful and uncomfortable :(
Me! Mostly at night, though. And I'm pretty sure they actually are contractions, just mild ones. Body's getting ready! :)

#21 ·
mama2chickn - I'm with you on the sleep issues... mine is mainly due to bathroom trips and hip pain. I have to turn about every hour because my hip pain wakes me up if I don't. I agree with what someone else said about trying to rest/sleep in early labor. I've never done this before, but I've heard that it's important to rest up as labor begins.

bignerpie - Hope your little one is feeling better! There's been a stomach bug going around here, but hopefully it'll pass quickly.

Cathy - I've been craving potato soup (my DH makes amazing potato soup), but it's been so hot! I was craving apple juice last night.

HappyMonkey - Ugh, hearing that stat on 75% of babes coming after the due date is so depressing! I so hope I'm in that first 20%.

I saw an update that Smurfy had her baby! Yay for that!!!!

Hope everyone else is doing well and we'll have more birth stories soon!!

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilleBethany View Post

Anyone else having menstrual like cramps all the time? It's not contractions, just constant cramps...the kind that not pregnant would send me running to the bathroom to see if my period started. It's painful and uncomfortable :(
Yep, but not constantly. I have them about every half hour for a few hours every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ChicknLil View Post

Good point about getting rest when labor kicks off, I imagine it's not easy though! Melatonin seems fairly harmless, maybe I will try that out. My biggest problem right now is having to pee every hour. Also, I haven't heard many moms voice this, but my baby is getting heavy and when I lay on my right side (the side he likes me to sleep on) his weight settles and when I have to get up I feel all of this pulling and cramping in my side. The difficulty isn't in falling asleep the first time but the subsequent 10 times!!! :/
The melatonin/benadryl help me get back to sleep too. I also have no problem getting to sleep the first time, but I will be up many nights from say 1 to 5 if I don't try really hard not to. Some ideas:

1. Support your belly as you roll so your round ligaments don't hurt. Grab your belly and hold it up as you turn. I forgot to do this once last night and had a nasty round ligament pain, so I hear ya.

2. As you are sitting on the toilet, tell yourself you are going right back to bed and going right back to sleep. Be very intentional about it (may not help -- can't hurt).

3. If you start thinking about something worrying (like I tend to do, lol), grab a book and turn on a dim light and read yourself back to sleep instead of letting those thoughts fester. Or listen to hypnobabies or Bellaruth Napersteck or something. Whatever calms your mind.

Those things may just not work as well tho for a mama whose baby is riding really low. My baby is still relatively high, and while I have to pee a lot, it's not as intense as having to pee every hour.
hug2.gif

#23 ·
'm soooooo tired! LOL For me, getting enough sleep prior to labor isn't really something I can control. I do try to get out into the sun each day, get some mild exercise, eat well, and then use the hypnobabies tracks to fall asleep... but I never seem to get enough!

Melatonin- it's actually got a very mixed track record for use in pregnancy. It's not a "danger danger will robinson" type supplement (well, not past the first trimester), but (from the Mayo Clinic page on N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine):

Quote:
Hormonal effects have been reported, including decreases or increases in levels of luteinizing hormone, progesterone, estradiol, thyroid hormone (T4 and T3), growth hormone, prolactin, cortisol, oxytocin, and vasopressin.
Quote:
Melatonin supplementation should be avoided in women who are pregnant or attempting to become pregnant, based on possible hormonal effects. High levels of melatonin during pregnancy may increase the risk of developmental disorders. In animal studies, melatonin was detected in breast milk and therefore should be avoided during breastfeeding.
And it's been linked to both increased bleeding and drops in blood pressure, so if you've had PPH in the past or are taking medications (holistic or alopathic) for bleeding of blood pressure disorders then make sure you check with your provider first.

Although I love melatonin when I'm not pregnant, I'd probably try things like chamomile, lavender, lemon balm, and oatstraw teas first (Earth Mama Angel Baby and Traditional Medicinals both make "sleepy" teas that are safe for pregnant women and Mountain Meadow sells some nice blends too as well as individual herbs), or some of the homeopathics (Hylands makes a nice blend, and it can be shared with baby/young children later) and bach remedies (white chestnut or vervaine maybe, though the remedy depends on the "why" so everyone would have a different remedy based on why they couldn't sleep).

Though in my case, I had a PPH after my second birth and so I try extra hard during the third trimester to keep my iron levels high and avoid anything that can increase bleeding/decrease clotting.

#24 ·
Ok, now I feel defensive about taking melatonin.
lol.gif

Let me make clear that (1) I take a tiny dose, (2) only when I am heading into my second night of disturbed sleep, and (3) only in the last 2 to 3 weeks of pg. I do not think I'm doing anything that will hurt me or the baby.
smile.gif

#25 ·
yep, got the crampiness here too. although i've had it the entire pregnancy...but it's a little worse now than it has been over the last 20 weeks.

cathy - funny you say that about feeling good - i'm with you. i've felt great the last few days and it's making me think that i'm in this for the long haul again (due date is this sat.) 42 week baby, ugh! so much for being very dilated and effaced. <whine>

going for a short bike ride this morning on a gravel road into town. maybe that will help
lol.gif

#26 ·
Hey Ms B. Sprout, no worries! Your baby is fine...maybe you will get a sleeper (I'm expecting an energizer bunny due to the coffee!). I actually managed to sleep for ten almost uninterrupted hours last night!! Four trips to the bathroom and LOTS of flipping, but sleep was, my friend! Not expecting this to last, but oh it was heavenly!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.