Holy cow! I had a baby! -- Updated: story and pics in post #22 :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
on my due date and my birthday (not so sure I'm happy about sharing my bday, lol)! Great, nonmedicated hospital birth and I'm feeling quite well. No tears, one hour of intense pushing, 6 lb 8 oz baby boy. 19 inches and 13.5 inch head, born about 3 hours ago. Latched on quickly. Will write more and post pics soon. smile.gif so exciting! Now on to the rest of you awesome mamas!! joy.gif

Vegan mama to DD (9/08), DS (9/11), and many rescued furbabies. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Yay!! Congrats!!!  I would love to go into labor and deliver today. Today is the 4th anniversary of when DH and I remarried. We still celebrate our original anniversary (because we are still together), so it would really be great to have the day more of a celebration of the family we've begun since then.

Can't wait to see the pictures!!

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
#3 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

joy.gif  yay!   Love seeing all these babies coming! Congrats on the birth, and we can't wait for baby pics :)

#4 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 12:46 PM

Oh and happy birthday to both of you!

#5 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Congratulations!

Loving mom to DS (05/08/10) expecting baby #2 in September 2011!

#6 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 01:34 PM
L J

How fantastic! Congratulations, mama! I can't wait to see pics! Enjoy that sweet baby.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#7 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Woohoo!  AWESOME!  Congratulations!!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#8 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 02:19 PM

Congratulations!!!  Welcome to your baby boy and happy birthday to you!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#9 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Congratulations honey that is so exciting! I'm glad you are getting to snuggle with your baby! Rest up mama, can't wait to see the pix!

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#10 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 03:29 PM

congratulations and Welcome to new Baby!!  And a happy birthday to you as well!  Glad everything went well! 

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#11 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Happy double birthday! Woohoo!!! Yay!

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#12 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 03:46 PM

Happy birthday and congrats!  :)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#13 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 04:40 PM

Congratulations to you and welcome baby boy! 

Alexis, mom to DS 11/99 DD1 01/02 and DD2 09/23/11.
#14 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. :)

#15 of 31 Old 09-03-2011, 05:30 PM

Happy Birthday - Birth Day to  you both !flowersforyou.gif

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#16 of 31 Old 09-04-2011, 09:36 AM

Congratulations! biggrinbounce.gif

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#17 of 31 Old 09-04-2011, 10:25 PM

Congrats! Sounds like a great delivery!

#18 of 31 Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 AM

Congratulations Mama!  Sept 3rd is my birthday too!!!  My little babe didn't want to share the day with us though....lol!  Enjoy your babymoon!

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boys Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (3) and ??? due November
#19 of 31 Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM

Congrats mama and Happy Birth Day to you both!!

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#20 of 31 Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Congrats!  what a great birthday present!!

Liz 27 - Happily married for 8 years! Mom to three awesome boys ages 7 and 6 and 1

#21 of 31 Old 09-06-2011, 05:50 AM

Congrats on your new bundle of joy!!  And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, too!  

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#22 of 31 Old 09-06-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all SOOOO much for your kind comments and birthday wishes! I'm still so surprised that he came on my birthday. Too funny. Anyway, thank you again for your wonderful support! 

So, the story...

I'll start off by saying that I began this pregnancy being pretty disappointed that I wasn't able to afford a home birth this time around, after having a really nice one with my DD a few years ago. Our current insurance company covers a hospital birth 100%, so forking out the cash for a home birth wasn't really any option. However, I had heard so many great things about the hospital here that I figured it would all work out fine, as long as I had a great midwifery practice behind me. Sure enough, everything was pretty perfect. :) 

Anyway, I had let the midwives check me at 38 weeks and I was almost 4cm dilated and 70% effaced. I got a bit excited by that but for the next 2 weeks not a thing happened! At my 40 week appointment I declined the check, and since I was certain that my body would take this baby into overtime (like the last), we made 41 week appointments for an NST/ultrasound. Went home and planned my big weekend of house cleaning. lol.gif Later that evening, my almost 3yo DD started sneezing and snotting out of nowhere - she hasn't had a cold in months, so I was surprised. It just got worse and worse, and by 10pm she very upset and couldn't sleep at all because of the mucous. I sat up with her in bed from 10ish - 2:30am breastfeeding her since I felt so bad. She finally fell asleep and I drifted off too. 

At approximately 3:30am, I woke up with a decent abdominal cramp. Slightly surprised, I just figured it was a result of all the breastfeeding and that it would be the only one. I also thought that eating might help, so I wandered downstairs and ate some pretzels (and subsequently had a small BM :-)). About 15 minutes later, another one hit...again, I figured I needed to poo a little more or something (had some decent rectal pressure also) - no way this was labor. The next one was 2-3 minutes later...and then again, and again...I called the midwives around 4ish and said I wasn't sure this was really it, but the contractions were about 1 minute long and occurring ever 2-3 minutes, pretty consistently. They said to go with it for 1/2 hour and to call them back if it was still happening. Sure enough, nothing changed. Called 'em back and they told me they'd meet me at the hospital. 

Of course we didn't have the car seat in the car, and had to pack a few more things...and my DD had gotten up around 4ish and was very upset with me for refusing to breastfeed, so that was a bit stressful... We finally got everyone in the car (we don't have family around so we decided to take DD with us to the birth :)) and arrived at the hospital around 5ish. They had been alerted we were coming, which was nice...a room was ready with a nurse, etc. The midwife showed up a few minutes after we did and she checked me - I was 6cm, 100% effaced, and 0 station (was bummed with that number!) I hadn't had any bloody show to speak of, or loss of mucous...but after about 15 minutes at the hospital there was a pink watery trickle running down my leg. Still, the midwife offered to finish off breaking the water for me, and I debated for a few minutes but finally decided it would be a good idea since I'd rather his head be giving me that terrible rectal pressure than the bag of water! What a weird feeling, that hot gush...LOL. 

While she was doing this, I had asked the nurses for a TENS machine. Let me tell you - I don't know how much of a placebo that thing is but it TOTALLY helped me get through contractions. I knocked that thing up to 100+ every time a contraction hit and it was a complete distraction. Give it a google if you are interested, but basically it's an electric current applied to your abdomen and back. Seriously, that thing rocked. Try it out if you have the option! It helped all the way until the serious pushing stage. 

I labored probably for only an hour or so more, and then they had me start pushing. Let me state here that I think I truly am a poor pusher. I pushed for 3+ hours with my DD because 1. I had no clue how to push; and 2. I just can't make my body push into pain - I prefer to withdraw from the pain ;-). So, sure enough, I had to have an extreme amount of coaching to get myself to push as hard as I really needed to in order to move him down further. We tried numerous positions and finally settled on having me on my back, with legs up, and pulling hard on a bed sheet while the midwife pulled at the other end. Sounds funny but that sheet really helped! I pushed for over an hour and he finally came out at 9:11am. Yay! 1 hour is better than 3! And pretty much everyone is convinced that all of the breastfeeding I did that night for DD got the whole shebang started. :)

His apgars were great, and I felt soooo much better than after birth #1. The hospital was awesome - nobody ever offered me pain meds, or complained about my DD being there (she did GREAT, btw), or offered anything but total support. We stayed overnight and again, they were very friendly to our AP parenting style - DD slept in bed with me (with DS on other side), and I tandem nursed frequently since DD was still sick. They were quite supportive. 

We've been home for a few days and all is going well EXCEPT for DS having picked up the cold and now the poor 3-day-old has tons of mucous of his own. Took him to the dr. today and they say he's looking pretty good, considering...

oh, and does anyone have any experience with sacral dimples? He has one so we are getting an ultrasound on Thurs. to make certain it's nothing serious. Trying not to worry too much...

We still haven't quite named him...will update with that info soon, hopefully! :)

A couple of pics attached below. DD adores him except for when he's drinking "her" milk...sigh :)

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.jpg

#23 of 31 Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Great story, thank you for sharing!  And what a beautiful baby boy!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#24 of 31 Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 PM

That is an awesome story! I am guessing you are/were at BCH foothills, just about 20 minutes from my house. :) I have heard such great things about them. Anyway I love the tandem nursing pic too and your little guy looks so very content. Congrats to you!!

#25 of 31 Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 AM

Congrats! That's a beautiful story! I wouldn't beat yourself up over the pushing thing. In my experience, just cause your 10cm doesn't mean your ready to push. Your body will tell you when with an urge that you cannot deny. Some MW's and OB's feel 10cm is time to "coach" you even if your not ready. But its okay, you did a great job!!! I just highly doubt it was your lack of ability is all! :-) Yes, my son had a sacral dimple. As long as its totally sealed your golden. I'm assuming that is what the U/S is for. He was born in 96 and I guess they didn't do those then? He never had any issues related to it, they just recommended I always make sure the dimple was kept very clean.

Your baby is beautiful!!!! Enjoy every minute! :-)

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#26 of 31 Old 09-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story. And what a beautiful little guy!!

#27 of 31 Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM

Huge congrats!  What a beautiful baby!  Your tandem nursing picture made me tear up.  Enjoy!

#28 of 31 Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Congratulations! I love your tandem nursing picture. You have a beautiful family.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#29 of 31 Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all so much! gracecody - i'm actually up in FC and was at Poudre Valley Hosp. :) i've heard awesome things about BCH too...

thanks, dlynn, for the info on dimples - ultrasound is tomorrow...crossing fingers...and good point about some bodies not being ready to push at 10cm!

#30 of 31 Old 09-10-2011, 04:58 AM

What a great story! And thank you for posting the tandem picture, Its beautiful and very encouraging. 

homescholing traveling mama of two ('08 and '12) expecting May 2015!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page