41 weeks and counting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-04-2011, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

Well, here I am still pregnant at 41 weeks, 2 days. I'm hoping labour will start spontaneously at any time, like many of you! DH and our midwife are full of hope and very supportive, which is good because my confidence is flagging now. I am fearful of a repeat of last time.

With ds1, born in 2008, my waters broke on his due date and then we waited for 2 days for anything to happen, but nothing did so we scrapped the homebirth plan and had an induction with long, painful labour at the local hospital. It ended with vaginal birth, but only because my midwife was still with us and actively advocating for a little more time and a little more time. I was so disappointed because my body let me down.

So the doctor I saw Friday, at the 41 week mark, said she would recommend induction sooner than later because now we know all is well with baby and she says I'm more likely to have a trouble-free induced birth than if we wait until after 42 weeks and run risks like meconium in the fluids, heart distress, low amniotic fluid level, etc. Way to lay on a guilt trip, Dr. No-Nonsense.

We have done everything you can think of to help things along- sex, sex, and more sex, evening primrose oil, membrane sweeps every time we see our midwife, swimming, long walks, resting, sitting/jiggling on the exercise ball (which hurts the front of my pelvis like crazy), hot 'n' spicy meal, pulsatilla and caulophyllum, nursing ds1, acupuncture and chiropractic care... Well, no cohosh or castor oil yet, but those are really very unappealing somehow. My cervix is somewhat softened and a couple of fingers open, according to our midwife, so that's a good sign.

Do you have any encouraging stories to tell, or are you in the same boat at the moment?

#2 of 9 Old 09-04-2011, 06:35 AM

I so feel your pain!  Literally and figuratively!  I am "only" 40w2d with this babe, but my first ds was born at 41w2d (with AROM, shoulder dystocia and a 4th degree tear), my second was born at 43w (a wonderful quick birth).

The waiting with my second was excrutiating.....I wondered if it was the right thing to do, because everyone mainstream would never be allowed to carry a baby that long.  But I also knew that late babies are common in my family, some mamas just take longer to "cook"  My midwife was very supportive and monitored the baby carefully....baby was happy, moving all the time and seemingly content. 

I got quite a bit of support from a website I found called 10 month mamas (I think the website is sadly not working any more), but there is a facebook page dedicated to the 10 month mamas http://schott.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/12/the-ten-month-mamas/  which is really helpful just to read and know that you are not the only one who has carried a baby this long :)

Good Luck mama- sending you positive labor vibes soon!

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#3 of 9 Old 09-04-2011, 01:50 PM

hdmum!  I am 41 and 1 day today.  I am right there with you.  I have tried many things but have yet to do a membrane sweep (I kind of fear it ...pain wise).  Will see my doc on Thursday and consider it.  Everyone keeps saying "just be patient" and she will come...however, it is SO hard to sit here and wait.  I am from the August board and there are only a few people who haven't had their baby.  This is our first so sometimes I feel like it isn't going to happen and that there is no baby after all...some sort of cruel practical joke.  Which is ridiculous I know as I can feel her kicking.  However, I want a natural water birth and I feel the longer we wait, the harder having this type of birth will be.

Fortunately, I have a wonderful (natural thinking) OB/GYN and he isn't pushing me for an induction like most docs. 

#4 of 9 Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing your experiences, She2dancer and ktleighdt. I'm lifted up, knowing I'm not the only one out there experiencing this.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of 10 month mamas, She2dancer. I have done some interesting reading tonight, collecting things to say and talk about tomorrow when I will have another biophysical assessment from the same doctor I saw on Friday.

Ktleighdt, I find the membrane sweeps a bit uncomfortable, but not unbearable. My midwife makes a point of going slowly and honestly, I think her bony knuckles digging into my pubic bone is  the worst part. I usually have some cramps afterwards and some mucus passes. I have read that other women find this procedure terrible though, so I guess you don't know until you try it.

I think my baby's position is not helping, now that I have read about it. The placenta is anterior, which was mentioned to me before but held no context until I was reading tonight that an anterior placenta position often means baby is opposite it, in the OP position. My baby seems to be mostly exactly halfway between OP and OA, totally uncommitted, and I often feel his back swinging around when I have been laying down on one side or the other for a longer length of time, like a few hours.

May we all continue to have patience and end up with the natural and problem-free births we want!

#5 of 9 Old 09-10-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Good news ending! Baby was born on Sept. 6th after I took castor oil. The labour was quick and the birth was at home, just like I wanted. He was born at 41 weeks, 3 days.

#6 of 9 Old 09-10-2011, 06:32 PM

CONGRATS!!! Post a story and pic when you can! :-)

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#7 of 9 Old 09-11-2011, 04:33 AM

Congratulations!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#8 of 9 Old 09-11-2011, 06:42 AM

Congrats mama! orngbiggrin.gif

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#9 of 9 Old 09-11-2011, 07:29 AM

Congratulations!  I'm so glad everything worked out.

Alexis, mom to DS 11/99 DD1 01/02 and DD2 09/23/11.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page