Pumping Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-06-2011, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Little Olivia is in the NICU (probably not for more than a few days), and I've been able to nurse here there twice, they didn't start her on feedings until this morning, so her first feeding was me. She had no problems latching on, and she seemed happy, fell asleep... content. I was back there at 7 this evening to feed her (I'm home, not at the hospital), and she latched on again, but seemed more frustrated, but did eventually fall asleep.  I've been pumping, and tiny tiny bits of colostrum come out, but so little that it basically streaks it's way down, and none makes it into the actual bottle. So I've not able to give anything for the NICU for when I'm not there. I didn't have this problem with my last daughter, who was also in the NICU for a few days with some breathing issues.

With the last one, I couldn't even hold her or nurse her until she was 5 days old, I continued to pump at home, and little by little increased my milk supply. For not being able to nurse the first 5 days, she was quite the champion nurser, with no problems. 

Well, I'm concerned about my lack of anything now that it's been over 24 hours. Has anyone had this issue at first and was still successful at nursing? Any suggestions? should I not worry until after my milk comes in, and see how the supply is then? As I stated, she latched on no problem, so my concern is just my supply at this point!

(All of my other 3 kids were successfully breast fed, so I might be prematurely stressing about this, but nursing is so important to me).

#2 of 10 Old 09-07-2011, 12:30 AM

Hi honey, for being just a couple days PP it sounds as though you are doing well! Try to pump as often as you would normally latch her on (probably every 2 hours or so), not only to get you volume up but also to help with engorgement when volume does increase in the next few days. Also, spend as much time skin to skin with her in the NICU...even if she won't latch on that will help her get the hang of it, and will help get your volume increasing. Does the hospital have an ibclc on staff you could ask for help?

Good luck honey, hope olivia is out of there soon!

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#3 of 10 Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 AM

yeahthat.gif

DS1 wasn't in the NICU, but I pumped/nursed him very frequently (every 2 hours-ish), and it was still over 3 days before my milk came in. He was born like 11:55 pm on a Thursday and my milk finally came in around 2 p.m. on the next Monday. It was forever, and I did supplement a bit b/c he was down to 4.5 lbs and jaundiced, but when my milk came in everything was fine. I remember what it was like when I was pumping in the hospital and got like 3 drops of colostrum that didn't even make it out of the horn of the pump--NOT encouraging! But it did eventually come in just fine, and I'm still nursing him 2.5 years later!

#4 of 10 Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. Pumping is going much better (getting more quantity), and going to the NICU to nurse her as often as possible. This whole nicu thing is over the top. There is literally not one thing wrong with her, and they've said that. Just out of being a preemie (by a couple days) they are keeping her. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh!

#5 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Big hugs -- I hope y'all are home very soon! hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilleBethany View Post

Thanks ladies. Pumping is going much better (getting more quantity), and going to the NICU to nurse her as often as possible. This whole nicu thing is over the top. There is literally not one thing wrong with her, and they've said that. Just out of being a preemie (by a couple days) they are keeping her. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh!

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#6 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 AM

That has to be super-stressful for you. I hope that they let her out very soon!!

Quote:
 This whole nicu thing is over the top. There is literally not one thing wrong with her, and they've said that. Just out of being a preemie (by a couple days) they are keeping her. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh!

#7 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Sounds like your doing great! Something I learned in my recent CLC training - hand express 5 minutes before and after pumping and massage the breast while pumping. The skin to skin (even though it's your own hand) helps increase volume when pumping.

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
#8 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Just wanted to say that for colostrum it can range from 7.5 ml a day to 120 ml a day (in studies)... so it could be quite normal not to be able to pump much. And babies always get more than you can pump. Try to keep your stress levels down and sleep lots and hydrate well too. Sounds like you are doing great and in a very normal range.

#9 of 10 Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

We're home (as of Thursday evening). I actually threatened legal action because 1. they never treated anything (nothing to treat) and 2. they ignored me, the parent when I said over and over again, if it wasn't necessary, no IV and no bottles. So they said I'd have to sign an AMA (against medical advice) form, but ended up releasing her without me doing all that. I love having her home :) My milk came in and that's going fine!

#10 of 10 Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 PM

Big congratulations on getting home, mama. hug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilleBethany View Post

We're home (as of Thursday evening). I actually threatened legal action because 1. they never treated anything (nothing to treat) and 2. they ignored me, the parent when I said over and over again, if it wasn't necessary, no IV and no bottles. So they said I'd have to sign an AMA (against medical advice) form, but ended up releasing her without me doing all that. I love having her home :) My milk came in and that's going fine!

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page