"Low/Normal" Amniotic Fluid - May Need Induction? Urgent Advice Appreciated... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-07-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Hi Everyone... so I went in for a routine ultrasound this morning (I'm just shy of 39 weeks) and the tech said I have a "low/normal" level of amniotic fluid, at 7.5. She said she was going to speak to my doctor this morning, and they will call me about whether or not I need to have an induction!

I didn't expect this... she said the baby's heart rate and vitals are fine, and he's in no immediate danger. I spoke to my sister (who's had two kids and is currently pregnant with twins) and she advises me to get my dilation checked and have an NST if they want an induction. If I'm not dilated and the baby is doing fine, she advises that I ask for a couple of days to go into labor on my own and try to avoid getting induced. 

Thoughts? Advice? I'm trying not to be be worried since I just saw that his heartbeat and vitals are strong, but this is just nerve wracking waiting for my doctor to call! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2 of 16 Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wish I had some good advice, but I am not terribly familiar with the AFI #s. I will give you a big hug while you are waiting, though! hug2.gif I hope you feel good about your options when you get more information.

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#3 of 16 Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Start drinking lots of water....your fluid levels should go up a bit into the normal range.  They might do another ultrasound a few days after you having the NST and things being fine to see how the fluid levels are.

Love tocrochetsmilie.gifand have way to much yarn!   teapot2.GIF is always on at my place.  
Wife familybed1.gif, momma femalesling.GIF, teacher homeschool.gif and all that is inbetween to A b. 31/12/04,  W b. 27/10/06vbac.gif,  V b 17/01/09hbac.gif, and     G b. 09/09/11hbac.gif

#4 of 16 Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I just spoke to my doctor, and she's having me take an NST tomorrow during my regular weekly appointment. She says the levels aren't low enough to be dangerous, as long as the baby does well during the NST. So I'm trying to relax and not jump to conclusions and worst case scenarios in my head... and apparently I tested positive for strep as well, so I'm pretty down about that. Now I have to be on antibiotics during labor... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 16 Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 AM

hug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Well, I just spoke to my doctor, and she's having me take an NST tomorrow during my regular weekly appointment. She says the levels aren't low enough to be dangerous, as long as the baby does well during the NST. So I'm trying to relax and not jump to conclusions and worst case scenarios in my head... and apparently I tested positive for strep as well, so I'm pretty down about that. Now I have to be on antibiotics during labor... 

#6 of 16 Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Oh poo...I am so familiar with this. I had dangerously low level with DD. To the point when my "water" broke I felt the bag pop and nothing came out. :-( The biggest worry is cord compression. I recently had a scan for AF when I had a kidney stone because of my last experience and the MW told me between 5 and 25  was considered normal and I was at a 12. If that's the case your not far from being in the middle range. You can rebuild fluid. Hydrate yourself silly. You should be drinking half your body weight in ounces a day as it is. So say you weigh 160lbs then you need to drink 80oz of water a day and can still throw another 20 ounces in there safely. Ive been doing this to avoid kidney stones and it also has kept my AF levels higher this pregnancy. I would be vigilant with keeping track of movement regularly as well. And this is a radiology tech who did the scan I'm assuming? Who probably has no business dropping suggestions on you about induction? Just wait to talk to your OB or MW and always ask. Am I or my baby in danger? If the answer is no, then you don't need interventions.

When this happened to me I was 37 weeks and I was told by my MW whom I trusted greatly that I HAD to be induced or I was risking serious danger to my baby... but my fluid levels were scary low. Probably a 1 or a 2. I cried like a baby and asked if I could be admitted and allowed to try to induce my own labor while they intermitently monitored me for safety (cord compression). I did EPO vaginally and walked the stair cases and L&D for hours and had very slow progress. I was finally talked into cervadil (YUCK) and shortly after my "water" broke. 2 hours later DD was born in the tub, healthy as ever. The cervadil set on some pretty heavy contractions for me and a labor that felt unstoppable. But it was FAST. I still managed to avoid PIT and other uglier interventions. Everyones experiences are always different, even within the same mom, but I wanted to share with you what happened to me in a similar situation. And even though I got the yucky cervical gel I still consider myself lucky to have had a very quick and natural birth that resulted in a healthy 6lb 5oz baby girl. I felt I was able to reach a compromise with my MW and the l&d staff that we were all comfortable and it all worked out in the end. But I dont think your even that close yet based on your numbers.

Keep us posted!!!

(((HUGS)))

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#7 of 16 Old 09-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yep, I too have heard that as low as 5 can be normal.  Drink up and rest up!  Hopefully you'll keep replenishing.  hug2.gif

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#8 of 16 Old 09-07-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone - I'm trying to drink tons of water and just take it easy. I think I'll feel a lot better in the morning when I see he's doing okay on the NST. He's been a little quieter than usual the past day or two, but is still regularly active. I'll keep everyone posted on how things turn out. 

#9 of 16 Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Well Ladies, I had my NST this morning and my baby is FINE!!! He did perfectly - heart rate and movement were fantastic. Doctor just thought we caught the numbers at the lower end of the normal range, likely because he just hadn't urinated before the scan! She sees no reason whatsoever to induce since we're both healthy, my water hasn't broken and I haven't begun to dilate yet. I'm so relieved. 

I also appreciated that she volunteered to me that she reprimanded the ultrasound tech as soon as she spoke to her yesterday - she said if there is a condition where you are telling a mother that it is highly likely that they're going to be induced in the next twenty-four hours, you send them straight to L&D for an urgent NST and you call the doctor immediately. If what you see isn't that emergent, you keep your mouth shut until you consult with the doctor and don't cause endless worry for the patient. Whew!

I also got some reassurance from her regarding my positive strep test as well - I was worried I wouldn't be able to walk around and use the shower or birth tub, but she said it's just two 20 minute doses, so I don't even have to have the IV in the entire time I'm there. And no restrictions on movement or being in water. So I feel really good about that. She doesn't see any reason as of today why I can't go into labor when nature sees fit, and go for a vaginal birth. I'm so excited and relieved!

Thanks for all the support yesterday - it was really hard to get some odd/bad info and feel so unsure of things. 

#10 of 16 Old 09-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Wonderful update! So happy for you! love.gif

#11 of 16 Old 09-08-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It's amazing what a little spot of good news can do for you when you're this pregnant. :-)

#12 of 16 Old 09-14-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

This is more of a rant than worry this week... so today I had my weekly ultrasound to check fluid levels. Guess which tech I got again? The one who likes to dispense unsound medical advice! First of all when I get in this morning she asks me why we're even doing the ultrasound since I had one last week! And then she couldn't remember if we did measurements last time or not. So I had to remind her that we needed to recheck fluid and that we didn't need measurements (per my doctor) since they were done last week. I mean, I can understand not remembering every patient you deal with; it's a large practice. But shouldn't she have taken a minute to check my chart before I came in?

Then, my fluid is at 7.1. Last week it was at 7.5. When I spoke with my doctor after last week's NST (which was perfect) she said they wouldn't even consider inducing me unless I was either below 5, overdue by more than a week, or had fetal distress. None of which apply to me. Which I told the tech the second she opened her mouth and said "you're fluid is lower, they'll want to induce you today". What is with this woman!? Then she has to the nerve to tell me that "back when" she was in school, they would induce anyone under 10!!! She must've been in school 15-20 years ago! Don't these techs get professional development to bring them up to date on current medical guidelines? And didn't she speak to my doctor and understand that my doctor's orders conflict with everything she's telling me?

I feel like the baby is fine, and my doctor feels like the baby is fine. I'm just frustrated dealing with this woman... I don't need her putting needless worry in my head over my child's well being, especially when it's completely unfounded. At any rate, I have my regular appointment and NST tomorrow morning, where I expect to get good results, so I'm not worried. Just needed to vent about this crazy woman! 

#13 of 16 Old 09-14-2011, 08:41 AM

Wow, I am so sorry you had that experience. I would have given her a piece of my mind for sure. I hope you'll let your Dr. know about all the wonderful medical advice that she gave you and that she had no idea why she was giving you an ultrasound! Very unprofessional, not to mention dangerous. At least you got the info you needed and can proceed accordingly...

#14 of 16 Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 PM

Oh wow, she sounds absolutely ridiculous. My fluid levels hung around 8cm for the second half of my second trimester and until birth. Not a big deal.

#15 of 16 Old 09-14-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, this woman clearly doesn't have the first clue. I really have to wonder how many other first time moms she's sent into a needless cycle of worry? 

#16 of 16 Old 09-14-2011, 02:36 PM

Given that she *just* got reprimanded for this exact thing, I would wonder if her job is in jeopardy. Ya know? Good grief. shake.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page