Question to all the mamas who have given birth before? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What was the start of labor like for you?  With my first, I had textbook labor signs- Mucus Plug, bloody show, some sporadic contractions, and then everything got underway about 12 hours later, and my girlie was born after another 12 or so hours.  I am wondering how many of you began labor without obvious mucus plug/bloody show/clearing your intestines sorts of signs?  I have been feeling constipated and crampy all day, and am realizing as the afternoon wears on, that the constipation cramps seem to be coming every 20 minutes or so.  And I am having contractions along with them, as well as some braxton hicks type contractions that are not painful.  I can't decide if this is early labor, prodromal labor stuff, or just constipation that is setting off braxton hicks.  I have had no other obvious signs of labor.  I would love to hear your stories!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 3rd baby (second labor) had no obvious signs other than contractions starting about 15 minutes apart.  They were the different kind of contractions...yes crampy kinda burning along my pubic bone type contractions.  Never did lose a plug or have bloody show, although I did at some point clear my bowels several times once things were well under way.

I hope this is it for you!!!!!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#3 of 15 Old 09-08-2011, 04:40 PM
L J

My 1st, I lost my mucous plug all at once and went from nothing to active labor within half an hour.

My 3rd, I started losing my mucous plug slowly, and never really experienced active labor but baby was in arms within 4 hours.

With my son who was stillborn, I doubt labor was anything like it would have been had he be alive, but I just started contacting regularly, no prodromal labor, no other signs.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#4 of 15 Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 PM

My 1st was induced, but with this one, I had BH for at least 10 wks before he was born. It was pretty normal for me to have bouts of ctx for 24 hrs or so at a time @ 4 min apart. I don't know exactly what was different when my body decided to go into full labor, but I would say, I was feeling pulling all around to my back.... I wouldn't really describe ctx as painful even, just uncomfortable pressure, maybe, lol.... OH I actually l;ost my mucous plug about 2 weeks prior to labor & I had no emptying of bowels until I was in transition, but I didn't poo on the table; he he :P

#5 of 15 Old 09-08-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I am starting to think this may be it.  Or else my body being really mean to me.  We will see what happens tonight, if it keeps up, or fizzles out.  Exciting!

#6 of 15 Old 09-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Well, how are things? Did anything happen?

#7 of 15 Old 09-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattee Petersen View Post

Well, how are things? Did anything happen?

yeahthat.gif

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#8 of 15 Old 09-09-2011, 02:25 PM

I hope you're off having your babe, but for anyone reading along... :)

dd1- Lost my mucus plug in one go, had a lot of vomiting during the night, then my water broke in the morning.  Nothing else till the next day when contractions started.  It was a loooooooong and pretty unpleasant labor that ended in a c/s.  She was posterior and asynclitic at 42+ weeks though so not a typical birth experience.

dd2- Lost my mucus plug over a few days, lots of vomiting and loose stools/crampiness.  Water broke, contractions started a few hours later, she was born 12 hours more or less to the minute from when my water broke.

ds- Literally weeks of prodromal labor, contractions every 10-15 minutes, lasting for a minute each and going on for hours at a time, but not "doing" anything.  Visited the midwife in the morning and was told that I was posterior/long/2cm and that I should plan on an induction or rc/s for the following day.  Instead when the contractions picked up that night (as they had every night) I went to L&D and had them break my water.  Contractions picked up immediately and ds was born 4.5 hours after that.

This time.... who knows?  But I'm thinking my body doesn't really know what to do until after my water breaks.  I know the majority of women don't start labor with their water breaking, but it really seems like that's what my body uses as a cue that it's time to get serious!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#9 of 15 Old 09-09-2011, 03:19 PM

Both of mine were TOTALLY different.

My son started off by a huge popping sensation and sound that woke me from a dead sleep.  I managed to BOLT to the bathroom before my water *whooshed* allllllllll over the floor. 

With my daughter, I didn't even really realize I was in labor until 17hrs into it, lmao.  I refused to believe that the ctx were the real thing bc I'd had 14hrs of prodromal labor just 5 days earlier.  I was in denial until 9pm that night when I had instinctually hidden in my bedroom and was having to actually  stop what I was doing between ctx.  Yep- 17hrs of denial, ha ha. 

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#10 of 15 Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 AM

ds1-Lost my entire mucous plug complete with blood around 6am with one strong contraction that woke me up.  Spent the whole day maybe feeling some here and there but didn't think much of them.  Around 6pm when into active labor and finally knew what a "real" contraction felt like!  Regretably ended in a c/s for the many useless hospital interventions...

ds2-RCS

ds3-I had a few nights of prodromal labor over the course of 2 weeks.  I went to bed one night not feeling well, woke up at 3am with what I thought was more typical prodromal labor, fell back asleep around 5am.  At 730am the contractions were 4 min apart and continued regardless of my activity.  Baby was born 17 hours later.

ds4-Again, lots of prodromal labor that would last for hours but do nothing.  I went to bed one night not feeling well (I now realize this is my sign!) and woke up the next morning around 4am and contractions were 5 min apart and continued regardless of my activity.  Baby was born 13.5 hours later.

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

#11 of 15 Old 09-10-2011, 08:04 AM

I've only had one so far, but my labor came out of nowhere. I had had a lot of menstrual like cramps for weeks before, and then suddenly I felt this huge contraction, then another 5 minutes later. Baby was born five hours later. I know that my mom experienced a similar first labor, but with me she just felt like she had indigestion and then suddenly her water broke. I came out 45 minutes later! I think it's weird how labors differ for the same woman!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#12 of 15 Old 09-10-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

It was labor for sure!  Graham Thomas Smith came tearing into the world at 9/9/10 at 12:12 am.  We were only at the hospital for an hour!  I was only really sure I was in labor for a few hours before we left.  Unbelievable.

ETA: He was posterior, and my water broke as he was coming out.  No lost mucus plug, no spotting etc.  So different from last time.  I was totally in denial for most of it!

#13 of 15 Old 09-10-2011, 02:27 PM

Wow! Congratulations! love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtBChase View Post

It was labor for sure!  Graham Thomas Smith came tearing into the world at 9/9/10 at 12:12 am.  We were only at the hospital for an hour!  I was only really sure I was in labor for a few hours before we left.  Unbelievable.

ETA: He was posterior, and my water broke as he was coming out.  No lost mucus plug, no spotting etc.  So different from last time.  I was totally in denial for most of it!

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#14 of 15 Old 09-10-2011, 02:51 PM

congratulations!!!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#15 of 15 Old 09-10-2011, 03:08 PM

Congrats!!

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page