Birth Control After This Baby - Let's Discuss the Options - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DDCC--How does charting + breastfeeding work before your period has come back? Since it can come back anywhere from, say 6 weeks to 2 years, I wouldn't want to have to wait to have sex until it came back! Can you know you're ovulating if you haven't had any PP periods yet? I think the scariest thing would be conceiving at 6 weeks PP, before AF has returned!

Are your periods the same (in terms of cycle length) after baby as they were before?

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post

DDCC--How does charting + breastfeeding work before your period has come back? Since it can come back anywhere from, say 6 weeks to 2 years, I wouldn't want to have to wait to have sex until it came back! Can you know you're ovulating if you haven't had any PP periods yet? I think the scariest thing would be conceiving at 6 weeks PP, before AF has returned!

Are your periods the same (in terms of cycle length) after baby as they were before?

Great question!

Loving mom to DS (05/08/10) expecting baby #2 in September 2011!

#33 of 36 Old 09-15-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignerpie View Post

Another NFP/Ecological Breastfeeding user here. We successfully prevented pregnancy for 5 years before we were ready to conceive our first, and then for 2 years after our son was born, even though my cycle returned at 9 months PP. We didn't exactly plan this pregnancy, but I had gotten really lax about charting. Basically, I was just keeping track of the first day of my period and we weren't using any other form of BC (normally we use condoms or withdrawal during fertile times. I guess that is more FAM than NFP). So we weren't really surprised to find out I was pregnant. winky.gif

I don't do hormonal BC because I don't believe it's healthy to disrupt a natural process. The copper IUD scares me because I have such a hard time with regular periods, and I don't want to take a chance of making them worse. I'm not comfortable with the risks of the IUD, either. And I'm not willing to do a tubal ligation. If my husband decides that he's willing to have a vasectomy, I'll support his decision, but I would never ask him to do it. If I'm not willing to do it, I wouldn't expect him to. I don't think either of us are ready for a permanent solution anyway.

I like charting because I feel more in tune with my body. I don't see it as a chore or one more thing that I have to do. So, I think we will just stick with that for now. thumb.gif

ETA: Meant to ask... do any of the NFP'ers use Cycle Beads? I was thinking about buying the app for my phone and not the actual beads when my cycle returns.

NAK - Another NFP/ eco breastfeeder ;)  we also avoided using nfp for 6.5 years before conceiving ds1...we have 3 boys now each about 2.5 years apart, haven't really tried to avoid the past 5.5 years (I would say lazily avoiding) :)  but we will be trying harder this time.  I used cycle beads when my cycle was regular, but would def not use them postpartum.  We use the Marquette method of NFP which combines use of ovulation strips for better effectiveness. http://nfp.marquette.edu/

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#34 of 36 Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 PM

I used Paragard for a year after DS was born. Then had it removed to TTC a second child. I thought that it was great. An interesting "perk"? Risk of cervical cancer is cut in half! http://www.canada.com/health/IUDs+almost+halve+risk+cervical+cancer+Study/5396020/story.html

We will use FAM and LAM this time. Maybe Paragard again in the future.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#35 of 36 Old 09-16-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWnewmom View Post

Great question!

I don't know if this works for everyone; but for me, I was monitoring my CF (temping is not the most reliable thing dealing with young baby sleep - you don't always get a good stretch of sleep before it's time to temp). I noticed stretchy EWCM/EWCF at one point and was not surprised to get my first PP AF about 2 weeks later.

If you get your first PP AF  while breastfeeding, I really recommend using as much as you can to chart - cervical position, cervical fluid, temp, ovulation strips, etc - I had extremely irregular, and sometimes annovulatory cycles while breastfeeding, especially while doing nearly exclusive breastfeeding (as DS got more solids close to a year old, my cycles started to be a little more regular, and mostly ovulatory).  While that might not be the case for everyone - the irregular cycles - it doesn't hurt to have more information, rather than not enough, especially if you are seriously TTA.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#36 of 36 Old 09-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks, akind! This is such helpful information!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page