Baby Chloe is here! (Birth story & pics in #18) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Chloe (middle name tbd) was born this morning at 8:07am after an intense 6 hour labor. 8lbs 6oz 20.5 in long...birth story and pics to come! She is just perfect and we are so in love! stillheart.gif

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 05:28 PM

wonderful! enjoy baby bubble bliss.....

look forward to your story....

#3 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Congrats!  Enjoy this special time :)  Love the name too!

#4 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations!!!!! 

#5 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 06:58 PM

So happy for you!!!  Welcome baby Chloe!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#6 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 07:08 PM

Congratulations! smile.gif

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#7 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 PM

Congratulations!  Welcome to the world baby Chloe!

Alexis, mom to DS 11/99 DD1 01/02 and DD2 09/23/11.
#8 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 PM

Congrats!!

#9 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 05:06 AM

Congratulations!
#10 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 05:08 AM

Congrats!  I love that name.  Can't wait to hear your story!!  Enjoy your new arrival!

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#11 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 05:40 AM

Congratulations!!

#12 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 10:31 AM

Congrats!

heartbeat.gif~Cowgirl Momma to 3 amazing boys  & adding a new babyf.gifin July 2014~heartbeat.gif 
#13 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 11:17 AM

Congratulations!!! Looking forward to hearing your story and seeing her.

#14 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 12:57 PM

huzzah!  I'm so happy for you and yours, and can't wait to hear your story!  Welcome baby Chloe and congrats Dlynn!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#15 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 03:09 PM

Congrats! Yay!!!

#16 of 28 Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 PM

Congrats!!! So happy to hear she finally made her appearance!

treehugger.gifApril
Momma to Ella  4/5/00, Apollo 3/9/09  and Guinevere in 9/26/11
Owner of www.ConfidentBeginnings.com

#17 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 05:25 PM

Congrats honey! I love that name!

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#18 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Chloe Jane’s Birth Story
Born 9/16/11
8lbs 6oz
20.5 inches

I started with contractions every 2-4 minutes on the evening of September 15th, which lasted for about 3 hours before coming to a screaming halt around 9:30pm. I was so very disappointed and went to bed extremely discouraged because this felt like it was the real thing. Not to mention I had so many false starts in the previous weeks that this pattern had become tiring. This time it somehow felt different so I was surprised they had died down after only a few short hours. I woke again several times in the middle of the night with more contractions, but I tried to sleep because I didn’t know if anything would come of them. Around  2:15am I had just settled back into bed and felt two large pops and a gush! My water had broke and miraculously I managed to get out of bed with no casualties to the mattress. I yelled to Scott “Water broke! Water broke! Get towels!”, as if he wasn’t laying next to me and couldn’t hear me! We decided to labor at home for a couple of hours and took our time packing up. We made some tea and timed contractions while we were waiting for my mother to arrive so she could see the kids off to school that morning. I called to let our midwives know what was going on and was sadly disappointed to discover that one of the two OB’s who won’t allow patients to birth in the water, was on call. No midwives! We left for the Family Birthing Center around 4am and after getting settled in we learned I was barely 4cm. I immediately thought we arrived too soon, and wished I was at home because I could not get comfortable anywhere. The further she dropped the more unbearable my SPD had become so I tried the bed, birth ball, various chairs, even the toilet and as the contractions progressed so did my pelvic and back pain. The only thing I could do was lean on a table on my fore arms, and rock as I breathed my way through the rushes which still were tolerable at this point. Around 6:30am I requested that they start running the tub for me so I could at least get some relief from the water as the contractions were growing more intense quickly. And began the great debate over the water birth. They nurse wanted to hear that I would ensure them that if they ran the tub, I would get out when I had to push. I found this hilarious, knowing how fast my labor would progress, and the idea of getting out of the tub at that point I felt was far more dangerous than whatever concerns the OB proclaimed. However, he wouldn’t budge, and sent his denial messages via the nurse. But by then it was shift change so I was left to labor standing again,  with no promises of the birth I desired.

At this point I had grown pretty agitated, and I had progressed beyond the serenity and comfort of my Hypnobirthing techniques. I found I could no longer breathe down and relax my body with rocking, and I was now beginning to writhe about the table I was leaning on and making some pretty crazy faces! Scott had been rubbing my lower back through contractions earlier which was offering me so much relief, but now I had to move his hands away because it had grown painful! At this time the new nurses came in and I felt their presence immediately. Their energy was bright and positive, and they came on the scene with an enthusiasm that renewed my hopes that perhaps they were going to get me in that tub quick!!! They introduced themselves and encouraged me through a few contractions but gently informed me that the OB was still non-compliant with my requests for a water birth, however he would allow me to have anything else under the sun I wanted. He finally entered the room and told me that he had even tried to reach the midwives to see if they were available to come in attend the birth, but was unsuccessful. At this point he started talking stats and safety and Im pretty sure I yelled something along the lines of, I’ve done this before, I don’t need his help! The nurses said they would be happy to start the tub for me if I understood they would have to help me out when she was ready to be born. I knew this wasn’t their choice and I was about to agree just to get some relief in the water, but the fact of the matter was that I was in transition and having a debate of this magnitude was infuriating. But by then I knew it was too late, and she was on her way down.

I attempted to squat but my pelvis wouldn’t allow me a full bend so I yelled, “SHE IS COMING!!!” and began to push. They all sprang into action and I heard mutterings about not having the baby on the floor and they helped me onto the bed, which they had split into a double section so I could birth on my knees and elbows. I was so grateful the nurses at least knew what I needed if the OB didn’t, because there was no way I could get into any other position. I immediately began bearing down and for some god forsaken reason they felt the need to check my cervix to make sure I was “really dilated” and tried to talk me out of pushing! I may have asked them if they were on drugs and yelled “NO!” before I began pushing again, but they insisted and I reluctantly agreed between contractions and they helped me lie on my side and checked me. They declared I was dilated and her head was right there. All I could think was, “NO KIDDING!” but I was too busy working her down the birth canal to be sarcastic! I got back up on my hands and knees and I pushed again and could feel her crowning, so I reached down with my hand and felt her head and said, “I feel her hair!” before diving back into another wild rush in which I started the really primal yelling business! I do remember thinking her head was taking longer to push out than my last two babies but the contractions were so close together there was no point in a debate with myself, there was work to be done! I pushed again and heard the OB tell me he would be applying pressure to my perineum so I wouldn’t tear and I felt the burning as if I was pretty close to doing so, so I continued to push through and delivered her head. This is where things got even more intense because he decided to check for the cord around her neck by stretching me open and I proceeded to reach around to grab his hands while screaming, “STOP IT!!!” I could hear my husband laughing at this point and I knew I was okay, or he wouldn’t find any of this funny, and he came and whispered in my ear that I was doing awesome and to keep doing what I was doing. So I pushed a couple of more times and she was out and she was passed immediately between my legs in which I pulled her tight to my belly and began rubbing her while still on my knees.

The nurses also began rubbing her as well and even though her eyes were open and she was looking right at me she was very pale and she was gurgling and gasping. They helped me turn around so I could sit with her on my chest, and gave her some time to pink up and breathe properly. It became apparent within 5 minutes this was not happening very easy for her so they called NICU and asked they could cut the cord and give her some help. I of course agreed and they did everything right there in the room and Scott was right by her side. I was a little nervous but not in a total panic because I could see and hear everything that was happening. I knew her heart rate was strong but her O2 was only 92 and it seemed as though she still had a decent amount of amnionic fluid in her lungs that was keeping her from taking full breaths. She unfortunately needed some suctioning and they retrieved 13cc of fluid from her lungs, which they said, was quite a bit for such a tiny baby. She remained on the little warming table getting O2 for almost an hour, but Scott stayed by her side touching her and talking to her the whole time.

It was hard to sit and wait for her but it was more important she wasn’t denied any valuable oxygen right at birth so I waited for her patiently.  During this time I delivered the placenta and the OB brought me hot wash clothes to wipe my face and hands. I considered this his peace offering and I was just grateful at this point that everything happened so fast (under an hour from when the nurses arrived and her birth and 6 hours total!) and she was going to be okay! Finally just after 9am they weighed her, my biggest baby yet -a full 2 lbs bigger than my last- and handed her back to me to bond and nurse. She latched on right away and we nursed for a solid hour! I was so relieved!!

Over all it wasn’t everything I had hoped and dreamed for in my ideal plan for a calm and peaceful water birth, but I have no regrets and feel at peace with the experience. I feel as expectant mothers we have to prepare ourselves for an array of birth scenarios and be willing to manage the obstacles that we encounter when things don’t go 100% as planned. I had a third successful natural birth with my husband by my side, no interventions beyond a little unwanted manhandling from the OB while I pushed, so I can’t complain! In the end we have a beautiful healthy baby girl and my recovery is moving very quickly. Its been less than 72 hours and my milk is coming in, she is nursing well, Im moving around easily and still happy as can be regardless that sleep is a hot commodity! I spent one night in the hospital and I couldn’t have been treated better. They were so kind and attentive and I wished for nothing. I felt like the labor nurses were mine personally for the whole day, they even brought me an entire new bed when the birth bed was causing me pelvic pain! I was filled with complete bliss from riding on the birth hormones and adrenaline and enjoyed the company of my family and closest friends. I was a fast and furious birth, but I’d do it again in a heartbeat to have her here in my arms; nothing but pure love!!!

_DSC0675 - Version 2 (2).jpgcry.jpgmamachloe.jpg

#19 of 28 Old 09-18-2011, 09:04 PM

I so enjoyed reading your story, thank you! And your baby girl is just beautiful. Congratulations!

#20 of 28 Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 AM

Congratulations Mama, she is beautiful :)

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#21 of 28 Old 09-19-2011, 09:16 AM

Beautiful story! I love how strong you were and how you were able to work with your body and tell the Dr what you wanted to. :)

She is adorable. I am glad you seem to be recovering well also!

#22 of 28 Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations!  Well done!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#23 of 28 Old 09-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Oh wow mama, great job!!!  Enjoy your baby and I hope your body is feeling better now that she is out.  :)

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#24 of 28 Old 09-19-2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks for sharing your story...you are both looking beautiful! ;-)

Enjoy baby bliss....

#25 of 28 Old 09-21-2011, 03:48 PM

Beautiful baby and mama. luxlove.gif Congratulations!

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#26 of 28 Old 09-21-2011, 04:44 PM

What a great birth story. Thank you for sharing! She is as beautiful as her mother!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#27 of 28 Old 09-23-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Turns out our little Miss Chloe is quite the poky nurser and has been falling asleep before she gets to the hind milk. She has only lost 7 oz (which in the first 6 days is totally normal!)  but the ridiculous pediatrician is already on my case about supplementing! I think I handled it well with a very firm "absolutely not". And she sent me home with a tube feeding set up and told me to pump hind milk and feed it to her when she nurses with the tube set...again. GRRRR. Very frustrating. I took it and chose to not to argue with her, its not like she can force me to do anything. I went with my gut instincts and I called my wonderful lactation consultant who told me that this particular pedi is an alarmist and loves to push formula on brand new moms (3rd baby here-sorry sister-Im not folding!) and us helped with a few latch techniques cause my nipples have been pretty sore and Ive even gotten a couple of scabs (eew) on the end. Something Ive never really experienced. Anyway, she suggested I pump and dump the fore-milk so when Chloe latches on (properly!) she gets the nice fatty hind milk, and to not let her get droopy and fall asleep in 5 minutes. Im actually not dumping it though cause its such a bitch to pump. Im going to keep it in case she hasnt gained then I will have a back up so I can huck the can of formula back at the pushy pedi! So its a learning curve. I guess all babies are different and each one cant be easy! Otherwise that minor drama she is doing awesome and we still are marveling every day over her existence! Best to all of you ladies and babies on the inside still - hang in there! It's so close!!! And to those on the outside I hope your enjoying every minute with your little love! What a precious time!!! I feel closer to my family than ever. stillheart.gif

#28 of 28 Old 09-25-2011, 04:32 PM

Congrats!

Love tocrochetsmilie.gifand have way to much yarn!   teapot2.GIF is always on at my place.  
Wife familybed1.gif, momma femalesling.GIF, teacher homeschool.gif and all that is inbetween to A b. 31/12/04,  W b. 27/10/06vbac.gif,  V b 17/01/09hbac.gif, and     G b. 09/09/11hbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page