My baby girl is here! UPDATED with birth story post #1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Elodie arrived on Saturday, September 24th at 4:32 pm after a 2.5 hours of labor!  It was the most amazing (and fast!) birth I could imagine.  She was 12 days "late", 9 pounds, 21 inches and has tons of black hair.  I'll post her birth story in a few days when I get the time.  I'm in bliss and feel great.  I'm still in shock that she's really here.    

Baby Elodie's birth story update:

Saturday morning my DH, 16 month old DS and I woke up ready to have a nice relaxing Saturday and hopefully have a baby.  Monday would have been 42 weeks and my midwives had brought up induction so I really wanted to have this baby before Monday.  Also, I would have risked out of a water birth after 42 weeks.  My DS was induced due to high blood pressure and ended up being a 5 day induction, having him vaginally un-medicated on day six (we set the hospital record).  I REALLY wanted to avoid that again.  Luckily my blood pressure was fine with this pregnancy. 

In the morning we got up and went for a nice long walk with DS and our dog to get my DH dome coffee.  When we got back to the house I made a big brunch, I felt really hungry, of corn tortillas, grilled veggies, black beans, cheese and egg topped with sour cream and hot sauce (a staple for me).  I put DS down for his nap at noon and DH went outside to mow the lawn and weed the yard.  I was tired and decided to rest and check my email.  While on the computer I noticed a few contractions but I had been having prodromal labor for weeks now, so I really didn't think much of it.  I thought it would be fun to time them to just see what was going on and if they were consistent.  So around 1pm I noticed that they were 5 minutes apart but not painful and nothing more than I had been having so I dismissed them.  Around 2pm I went outside and told DH that I thought I was having contractions and they were 5 minutes apart but not to worry, keep working on the yard, just thought he should know....He came inside and took a shower and DS woke up from his nap.  I was changing DS's diaper and realized that I had to pause and breathe through my contraction.  DH came into the room and noticed my behavior and knew that I was in labor, I was still in denial.  I spent the next half an hour playing with DS and cleaning the house, pausing to breathe through contractions.  DH put towels on the floor under my birthing ball just in case my water broke :)  At 2:30 I told my DH that maybe he could call my mom at 3pm, who lives 5 hours away, to go ahead and get on the road (she was going to watch 16 mo old DS)...it may be today sometime...I was still in denial.  We continued to play with DS and organize/clean the house for baby while breathing through contractions.  By 3:30ish DH called the midwives to let them know we would be heading over to the hospital that afternoon.  At 3:50 while DH was applying lower back counter pressure my water broke and we both heard the "pop".  That was the instant I realized I was in labor!! 

I told DH that we needed to get in the car and head to the hospital.  He had everything packed, put DS in his car seat and a towel down on the front seat for me, luckily the hospital is only 10 minutes away form our house. The entire ride there I was so bothered that DH was driving over the bumps in the road (speed bumps) and I got mad and asked him to please not drive over any bumps in the road.  DS was in the back seat copying my moans and it gave us moments of comic relief.  Not until afterward did I realize I was in transition in the car!  Arriving at the hospital parking lot we were walking to the entrance and the security guard asked if I needed a wheel chair, I looked like I was about to have a baby, DH said sure, so they rushed me upstairs to labor and delivery.  My midwife was right there and there were three nurses with her, they brought me into the labor room and my husband announced that I REALLY wanted a water birth.  I believe they all looked at each other and said we'll try but they weren't sure if they had time to fill the pool.  I sat down (in my street clothes) on the side of the bed and my midwife asked to check my cervix.  I was 9 cm dilated. Everyone in the room was buzzing around, I felt like there was a lot of excited energy, seconds later I had a contraction that turned into a push/grunt, I said "I need to push".  My midwife checked me again and said I was "having a baby right now!"-she could see the head.  I was completely shocked!  I remember thinking "wait I'm not ready to push, I don't want to yet, this hurts".  The first push got her head out, which I wasn't aware of, so my midwife said "I really need you to push, her head is already out and we need to get the rest of her body out."  So I pushed without a contraction, brought my knees up and out she came.  It was 4:32pm.  I pulled her up to my chest and she looked a little limp and purple.  They were worried about her breathing so they took her over to the warmer with my DH and got her breathing/crying and she pinked up.  They handed her back to me minutes later.  She went for my breast with in 5-10 minutes and latched right on.  I had her in my arms 15 minutes after walking into the hospital!!  12 days past her due date Elodie came out 9 pounds (8lbs, 15.7 oz) and 21 inches long.  I looked over a the nurse in complete shock and said "did that just happen?!".  DS was there with DH to see the whole thing.  I had one 1st degree tear and was fixed up pretty quickly after delivering the placenta.  We got to go home less than 24 hours after arriving at the hospital, Elodie and I are doing wonderfully.  I can't believe how good I feel.  The recovery this time is light years better than with DS.  It's been 4 days and I feel fantastic.  Elodie is beautiful and prefect and eating like a rockstar.  DS thinks she's interesting, he likes to point at her and say "baby".  Best birth ever.                       

Loving mom to DS (05/08/10) expecting baby #2 in September 2011!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Congratulations!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#3 of 9 Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations!

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#4 of 9 Old 09-26-2011, 11:06 PM

Congratulations on your little girl!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#5 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 05:18 AM

Congrats!  Enjoy your new arrival!!  :)

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#6 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Happy birthday Elodie and Congrats mama!  I can't wait to hear the story... enjoy your babymoon bliss!  :)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 9 Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM

CONGRATS! 2.5 hours! NICE!

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#8 of 9 Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATED with birth story post #1

Loving mom to DS (05/08/10) expecting baby #2 in September 2011!

#9 of 9 Old 10-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Congratulations! orngbiggrin.gif Thanks for sharing your story.

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page