Cassandra is here! Birth story included - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-27-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cassandra Rose is here, born at 3:24pm on 9/23, 8lbs and 21".  She's my biggest baby and fastest birth :)

Okay, so her story starts with a little bit of TMI :).

I woke up around 7am after a decent nights sleep and got the kids ready for school.  DH was off his regular work all week but was doing side jobs until Friday so he hadn't really been around.  After the kids had gone off to school we had some "adult time", probably the best of the whole pregnancy and that's saying something, afterwards I said to DH, "well, if that doesn't work then I refuse to believe sex can start labor."  That was at around 9:30am.

At 10:30 I got a call from DD1's school that she was sick and needed to be picked up.  I went to the bathroom before leaving and had a bloody show, a first ever prior to labor for me.  I started to have some light but frequent contractions right away.  I wasn't sure it was labor or not but DH was and suggested we take the dogs to get DD1 and drop them all off at my parent's house (right next to DD's school).

I called the midwife to give her a head's up that today could be the day and find out she's on her way to Brooklyn to another mom in early labor.  She tells me to go about my day but don't do anything to hurry labor along.  So DH and I go do some quick food shopping and head home.  I go upstairs to rest and DH starts getting things together for the birth.  He brings up some food around noon and we have egg sandwiches :).  Right after that I called the midwife to let her know that the contractions were regularly 3 mins apart but still pretty short. She warns me that she might have to send her back up but that she still wasn't sure and if anything at all changes I need to call asap.

It was now 12:30pm and I put on the Hypnobabies CD and listened to that for the next hour.  Toward the end of the CD I could tell the contractions were getting much longer than the had been so I gave the midwife another call at 1:30pm and she said she'd check the mom she's with one more time and then give me a call to let me know if the back up was coming or if she was.  It was around that time that I decided I wanted to put my contacts in because I was worried I'd lose my glasses during labor and wouldn't be able to see the baby when she was born (I am blind as a bat).  DH helped me to the bathroom while I put in contacts between contractions, turning to lean on him during them.

Right after the midwife called back and said she was sending her back up.  At around 2:30pm the backup midwife arrived, which was good because my contractions had gone to only about a minute or less between them.  When she came in I got a little break and was able to say hello and then the contractions majorly ramped up.  Looking back I have to laugh at myself, I way over-analyzed my labor.  I said I couldn't do it any longer, my contractions began double peaking, I threatened to walk to the hospital for an epidural, and I got seriously naesous.  So despite having every classic sign of transition I decided that I couldn't actually be in transition if I was able to think I was in transition.  It made sense in the middle of labor :).  The back up midwife was awesome and reminded me to say "open" instead of "no" and that I was doing it, every time I said I couldn't do it.  She also kept telling me i was almost done, but I didn't really believe her.  My last labor was 12 hours long so I didn't think I could be near done at only 4 hours in.

During this time the midwife and DH had gotten the birth pool filled and I got in around 3pm.  I had one more regular contraction in the birth pool and started to feel pushy with the next one.  This was the first time I ever had a real pushing phase and it was so cool.  With DS I had an epidural and never felt a single push or contraction, with DD1 I went right from transition to her being born in one push.  This time it was like all of the sudden I snapped out of labor land and I was able to be truly aware of the birth.  My contractions majorly spaced out, to about 3 or 4 mins in between and I was able to talk, joke, and really have fun with the end of labor!

The first two pushes were pretty decent and I could actually feel the baby moving down, which was just crazy to me.  I was leaning over the edge of the tub pushing and the midwife suggested maybe trying a different position after the next contraction.  The next was a really short one and I tried to turn after and it was just not happening.  I had a strong contraction next and midwife suggested checking for her head and I could actually feel her, that was so cool!  I spent the time between the contractions saying how much fun this is and how amazing it was to feel her head.  The midwife mentioned seeing a lot of dark hair and that totally amped me up.  The next contraction was a big one and I gave a huge push along with it and felt her head come out (accompanied by a lot of "OUCH" by me).  I figured I got that part over with and continued to push and got her shoulders out and the rest of her easily followed.  DH is the one who caught her just as we had hoped (and that he mentions to everyone, lol).

She was a little purple but pinked up quickly.  I delivered the placenta out of the pool on a birth stool and we moved to the bedroom (a whole 3 feet away) and got settled in.  The midwife did some cleaning up while DH and I spent some time getting to know Cassie, and convince her that nursing is more fun than screaming.  Apparently that is what I give birth to though, since much like her older sister, Cassie spent most of the next 12 hours screaming or nursing, luckily she loves to nurse :).  Also luckily it seems that after that initial adjustment she has settled down wonderfully.

I absolutely am flying high after her birth.  It wasn't the painless hypnobabies experience I thought I wanted but it was perfect anyway.  DH and I are totally in love and 4 days out Cassie is doing terrific.  My milk came in on Sunday night and she's back at her birth weight as of today.  I'm taking it easy on midwife's orders but feel terrific right now.  The only down side was I did have some blood sugar issues because I wasn't eating often enough.  The midwife just said to make absolutely sure I'm eating every 2 hours and since I've kept that up it's been great.

I'm starting to come out of baby la-la-land a little bit and should be around to read more, but in case I miss someone, I just want to wish everyone congratulations who have had their babies and labor vibes to those waiting!

Alexis, mom to DS 11/99 DD1 01/02 and DD2 09/23/11.
#2 of 8 Old 09-27-2011, 04:27 PM

CONGRATS! Wonderful!

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#3 of 8 Old 09-27-2011, 04:30 PM

What a beautiful story... I'm sure Cassandra will love listening to it over and over again!  Congrats on your beautiful birth, and enjoy your babymoon!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 8 Old 09-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Awesome birth story!  I was thinking about transition today, and thinking that this time around I want my DH or midwife to tell me that I'm in it... don't know if it will make a difference though.  And a focused pushing phase is awesome!  I got that with my DS even though I pushed for 5 hours, but it was nice to be out of the ethereal labor phase and into the focused and aware pushing phase.  I hope my next birth is much like the one you had.  Enjoy the newborn time!

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and finally expecting a new little one end of Jan/early Feb 2015!  
#5 of 8 Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Fantastic story. I hear you on thinking that if you think you are in transition that you can't be in transition. I totally did the same thing while saying I needed drugs and wouldn't do another contraction while sweating and shaking. Congrats!!!
#6 of 8 Old 09-27-2011, 10:41 PM

Congratulations!  Sounds like a wonderful birth!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#7 of 8 Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 AM

Great story! Congratulations!

#8 of 8 Old 10-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Congratulations! orngbiggrin.gif

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page