quick reference thread for new mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Before I started staying home with the littles, I was a reference librarian.  So I have an overwhelming urge to help people find information.  And having been through the "new mama" daze a few times I know how hard it can be to get through a day, let alone find info that might make that day easier.  So here are a few helpful resources, all in one spot... please add to the list!

Birth Related:

ICAN- online and in person support group for mamas recovering from cesarean birth.  They also do vbac advocacy and help moms arrange family centered cesareans.

SOLACE for Mothers- online, in person, and "warm line" phone support for all moms who have suffered birth trauma (any type of trauma, physical or emotional, for mom or the babe)

Postpartum Support International- online support for women suffering from or at risk for postpartum mood disorders.

Breastfeeding:

LLL- support for breastfeeding, in person, online, and by phone.  Local leaders are happy to help with any breastfeeding questions/problems and there is a national helpline too at: 1-877-452-5324

kellymom- the most complete site for breastfeeding advice, support, and information anywhere.  seriously I have never had a breastfeeding question that wasn't already covered here!

breastfeeding.com- great all round site, especially for moms who will be working outside the home and pumping.  Lots of printable info sheets, ideas for talking with supervisors about nursing/pumping, btdt humor pages, all that good stuff.

General Health:

Tupler Technique for repairing Diastasis Recti- most women who have had a child have some lingering seperation of the ab muscles (causing a variety of aches, pains, and flabby tummy).  Some women have a lot of seperation.  The Tupler Technique is an easy exercise program that is focused on healing this condition.  There are a number of threads on mdc about this program.

Ending Female Pain- a fantastic book for any woman, in my mind nearly essential for a new mother.  Exercises and suggestions for treating all sorts of things.

Saving the Whole Woman- some women discover that pregnancy/birth has dropped them into the world of pelvic organ prolapse.  It can happen to any woman, and (speaking from experience) it can be devastating... especially since our culture just doesn't talk about "stuff like that".  This website/forum provides lots of info and non-surgical techniques for managing prolapse. (warning- the website is darn ugly and looks like some sort of horrible infomercial.  It's got good info, but the layout is beyond horrible.  Just so you know!).  There is a prolapse support thread HERE at mdc.

For the kiddo-

Dr Jay Gordon - great family care doctor, has a strong holistic stance and supports non-vax/partial vax/delayed vax this site has plenty of articles to read or share with your provider.

Dr Sears - the classic AP family doctor, the site has gobs of articles and info.

developmental milestones - what to look for and/or what your care provider is looking for (if you do routine baby visits)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM

You are so awesome wombat! Can I add a few things?

for pelvic floor issues

Ever Since I had my Baby by Roger Goldberg
http://www.amazon.com/Ever-Since-Had-Baby-Understanding/dp/0609808729/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317322215&sr=1-1

www.katysays.com

hab-it pelvic floor
http://hab-it.com/blog/?tag=hab-it-pelvic-floor

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
Old 09-29-2011, 11:49 PM

That is awesome, thank you SO much!!! I'm a huge Dr. Sears fan. During the H1N1 thing I e-mailed Dr. Bob, the one who wrote the vaccine book, about my concerns with the Canadian vaccine and he actually e-mailed me back!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Wow! I bookmarked a bunch of those... thank you so much!!!

Moo.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

This is a great resource, thanks Wombatclay! Especially since I basically have no idea what I'm doing! ;-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 10-02-2011, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Erigeron let me know about this trick in another thread - http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/hands-free-pumping.html. How to hack your bra with a few hairbands so you can pump hands free! I have to pump to supplement my baby's feeding, and this has been so liberating! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

User Tag List