Postpartum dvt. Experience? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
last night I woke up several times in the middle of the night with severe stabbing pains behind my left knee. I had forgotten about it until about an hour ago when it happened again while laying in bed nursing the baby. I immediately thought about blood clots and found that women are at risk postpartum till between 6-8 weeks. Needless to say I'm pretty concerned. I took some ibuprofen and put a heating pad on the area as that was about all I could find for treatments at home. Aspirin is not safe while BFing. Not sure exactly what to think here... I suppose it could be anything but I'm feeling pretty concerned. Has anyone here had any experience with this? My only knowledge comes from working in the OR which of course is all worst case scenarios. Not sure if I should even call the oncall OB or MW cause I don't want to jump the gun and spend the night in the ED possibly getting pumped with drugs that will not allow me to nurse. Although if I do have a dvt it could turn into a PE and well...that's way worse. Thoughts?

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#2 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It seems like a jump but is a serious thing IF it is.

I would call.

#3 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 06:31 PM

I would much rather call the MW and have her tell me I'm just being silly (or even pump me full of drugs) than not call, throw a clot and die. DVT is nothing to take lightly. What's worse? Death or not being able to BF?

Moo.

#4 of 6 Old 10-01-2011, 07:36 PM

I had a DVT during my first pregnancy, and if that's what you think this could be, PLEASE get it checked out.  With mine, it was in my thigh/groin area.  It felt sore for a few days, and gradually got more painful, then to the point where I could not move my leg to walk.  If you notice your leg swelling up or turning a dusky or purple colour, it is really cause for concern.  They probably won't put you on anything until they find out what it is.  I think they diagnosed mine via ultrasound, they can also use a CT scan.  If it was a clot, they would put you on heparin, which is not harmful to your baby (I've been on heparin injections every pregnancy and for 6 weeks postpartum every time.) 

The best thing to do is to move your leg as much as you can--staying active and avoiding being in one position too long can prevent clots.  Elevate your legs.  And get it checked if it's still sore!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#5 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback ladies. I'm doing fine so far and didn't have any more episodes last night so I didn't call. I can feel a dull ache to sharp pain occasionally in the same spot but no stabbing pains that threw me out of bed like I had Friday night! I'm going to call tomorrow and see what they say. I don't want to take any chances with something like that. If in fact it is... I know it sounds like jumping but it was the first thing I thought of. I have no Previous injuries in that leg other than a popliteal cyst that can come and go when I'm scrubbed in to a case too long but I haven't worked in the OR since late June. I birthed on hands and knees so maybe I strained myself? But to be woken from a deep sleep in so much pain is just something I can't ignore.
Robyn, the heparin didn't effect your breast feeding or babies clotting factors? How scary that must have been! What do they think caused it..outside of the obvious-pregnancy-but what Part? I wonder if having SPD increases your chances?
Thanks again!

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#6 of 6 Old 10-02-2011, 07:15 PM

They never did figure out what caused my clot--they tested me for clotting disorders and lupus, and couldn't find a reason.  I've checked with multiple doctors, and been assured that low molecular weight heparin will not pass through breastmilk, and have never had a problem.

Very scary experience!  I thought at first it was sciatica, because the pain was radiating up into my back, but when I couldn't walk and my leg was all swollen, I knew something was wrong.  I ended up spending two weeks in hospital on IV heparin, and then another two or so weeks in a wheelchair.  I was about 9 weeks pregnant at the time.  I still get paranoid every time I have a pain in my leg.

Hope that is not what you're dealing with!  Definitely a good idea to call.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page