Who else has over done it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

12 days post partum and I've over done it two days in a row. I sooo want to get back to "normal" or what the new version of "normal" will be. Today I had an appt and then went to Target to pick up a couple of things. I soaked an overnight maxi pad and had the most painful walk around the store possible. I had an uncomplicated vaginal birth (slight tear along a previous epis) ... really just wishing I had better postpartum support right now. ...and I've learned picking up my toddler classifies as "heavy lifting"....

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
#2 of 16 Old 10-03-2011, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Same here - I pushed it too much this weekend. I'm not bleeding any heavier, but my stitches and everything else are so sore today from all the walking and being up that I did. And the worst part is my son has not been feeding or sleeping well today. We're all out of whack...

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#3 of 16 Old 10-03-2011, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I totally did today.  Had to buy a birthday gift for my niece, so took baby to the mall.  It was really comfortable carrying her in the mei tai, but I walked around way too much.  Plus lifting her in the car seat in and out of the van a bunch of times.  I am recovering really well from my c-section, but that is almost a bad thing--i tend to overdo it because I feel so good, and then i pay for it later by being sore the rest of the day.  Also, I should have kept it to myself how good I was feeling, because BF and others seem to expect me to be back to normal now, even though I'm only just over 2 weeks recovered from major abdominal surgery. 

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#4 of 16 Old 10-03-2011, 06:59 PM

Wow! I thought that 6 days post-partum and walking to the sofa was overdoing it! You are a rock star, Robyn! All of you, actually..

Malls, appointments, carrying the babe around and in and out of the car... sheesh. Hopefully I will venture out briefly on Thursday and then again once on Friday before resuming a two or three hour a day school schedule the following week, but even with just walking back and forth to the sofa, my stitches hurt like CRAZY. I am such a woos! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareimer View Post

I totally did today.  Had to buy a birthday gift for my niece, so took baby to the mall.  It was really comfortable carrying her in the mei tai, but I walked around way too much.  Plus lifting her in the car seat in and out of the van a bunch of times.  I am recovering really well from my c-section, but that is almost a bad thing--i tend to overdo it because I feel so good, and then i pay for it later by being sore the rest of the day.  Also, I should have kept it to myself how good I was feeling, because BF and others seem to expect me to be back to normal now, even though I'm only just over 2 weeks recovered from major abdominal surgery. 

Moo.

#5 of 16 Old 10-03-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, I'm parking my butt on the couch for the next several days. Some of you mamas make me realize just what postpartum rest is supposed to look like. I just feel so bad that my toddler wants my attention, for me to play with him, and I really can't.

Two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011, and #3 due April 2015! I'm also a CLC and postpartum doula.
#6 of 16 Old 10-03-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4latte View Post

Alright, I'm parking my butt on the couch for the next several days. Some of you mamas make me realize just what postpartum rest is supposed to look like.

Same here!  I've had to force myself to NOT do laundry, wash diapers, empty the dishwasher, clean the kitty litter, and about 10 other things this evening.  I am trying to relax and remind myself it will still be there tomorrow.  I do feel bad too though that I'm not much fun for my kids, but one nice thing about their ages is that they can mostly understand why I can't do stuff with them right now.  I remember how much more difficult that was with a toddler. 

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#7 of 16 Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 AM

My friend came to the zoo at 3 days pp, I was in awe, until I learned how that increases the risk of a prolapsed uterus. At 6 days pp I had DH take me to the mall, I shuffled to the store I needed, the baby had no clothes that fit her she was so small, then DH got the car and picked me up at the door. That was huge. I limited myself after that but even now, 5 weeks pp, if I'm at the mall too long, too many errands, etc. I get sore and start bleeding a bit again. I had a second degree tear but no stitches so while I don't have the additional pain from stitches, I am always worried about reopening the tear. It's hard feeling so housebound though, especially with a toddler and we're all sick with our second cold since she was born.
#8 of 16 Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 AM

I feel better now that I know I'm not the only one! I had pretty much stopped bleeding last week and was feeling great so I started picking up around the house and playing with my 3 yr old and now I'm feeling it. Bleeding again, sore, tired, and grumpy b/c of all the above. And, my husband who was supposed to have 2 full weeks off went back early. He is good at helping out (all the dishes, laundry etc) but still. Now if I can just get DD down for a nap so the baby and I can rest. He's pretty easy but my DD is having problems adjusting and so needs lots of attention.

#9 of 16 Old 10-04-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4latte View Post

I sooo want to get back to "normal" or what the new version of "normal" will be.

This is me, exactly. I haven't overdone it at all but have been having a hard time being a good babymooner and just soaking up the time with baby because I am so anxious to be functional, connected, productive, capable, etc. again, in its new form. I came from working full time to now parenting full time and I am really excited to be making this shift. Every day I think about when I'll take the kids out for the first time on my own and where we'll go. I think about the things I used to do with the kids the last time I had a leave from work - cooking, baking bread, making art, going on aimless walks.

So something that has worked for me is journaling - I have always enjoyed keeping some type of journal and have been doing a weekly entry for the past year or so. Since the baby was born I changed it to daily and called it "baby steps" - so what I have done is set little goals for myself each day, thus the name. Each day they may get slightly more ambitious depending on how sleep went/how we're feeling. Then I can see the progress I'm making while still enjoying each day for what it is. It also gives me a way to slowly and intentionally work the things into my day that I am missing - for me the main thing was knitting. And now I'm half way done with a baby hat since including it in my daily goals. I told you it was baby steps but hey, it makes me feel really positive about things and like I have some control. :)

#10 of 16 Old 10-04-2011, 02:03 PM

I've been a good girl this time around! I haven't done much of anything. I had prolapse issues with DD1 and my cervix is very low right now, so I'm taking it easy. Unfortunately, it's all over when I go back to singing gigs on the 16th. I think everything will be fine, but I'm sorta freaking out about it!

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#11 of 16 Old 10-05-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracecody View Post

This is me, exactly. I haven't overdone it at all but have been having a hard time being a good babymooner and just soaking up the time with baby because I am so anxious to be functional, connected, productive, capable, etc. again, in its new form. I came from working full time to now parenting full time and I am really excited to be making this shift. Every day I think about when I'll take the kids out for the first time on my own and where we'll go. I think about the things I used to do with the kids the last time I had a leave from work - cooking, baking bread, making art, going on aimless walks.

So something that has worked for me is journaling - I have always enjoyed keeping some type of journal and have been doing a weekly entry for the past year or so. Since the baby was born I changed it to daily and called it "baby steps" - so what I have done is set little goals for myself each day, thus the name. Each day they may get slightly more ambitious depending on how sleep went/how we're feeling. Then I can see the progress I'm making while still enjoying each day for what it is. It also gives me a way to slowly and intentionally work the things into my day that I am missing - for me the main thing was knitting. And now I'm half way done with a baby hat since including it in my daily goals. I told you it was baby steps but hey, it makes me feel really positive about things and like I have some control. :)

Thanks for this, gracecody. It describes a lot of how I am feeling as well...and the journaling is an excellent idea...I haven't even gotten myself to write down our birth story yet and am trying too hard to stay connected to the outside world, when really all I want to do is focus on my sweet babe during this all-too-short phase of early life.

#12 of 16 Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 AM

For me, the hard part is remembering just how "little" is still "too much".  Like, I tend to think of what I was doing at 42 weeks pregnant as "not over doing it".  And yet, if I tried to do even half of what I was doing at 42 weeks right now today I'd be waaaaaaay over the "too much" line!  Bending to pick up toys, lifting the chicken feed or my 2yo, reaching over the sink to wash dishes... they all add up!  And then I'm gushing through pads, feeling like I've been kicked in the crotch, exhausted, or more symptomatically prolapsed.  Or all of those things at once!

I had a few really good days last week when I felt super competant, but this week not so much.  (I'm 16 days pp)  I don't know why, but a lot of moms find that around 2-3 weeks and again around 8-9 weeks they have a "relapse" in terms of bleeding and discomfort (many women think this is their menstrual cycle returning, but for most moms it's not).  It's probably hormones and internal organs shifting back, but I wonder if some of it is just that we're doing too much?  Like we look at our lives (there are things that HAVE to be done, children who HAVE to be cared for, jobs that MUST be returned to) and we look at the calendar (surely we're fine now?  even the doctors say six weeks and you're fine, right?) and then we over do it because there just isn't much choice.  I wish there were better pp support networks.  Some sort of real world help for new parents.  Or at least drive through grocery stores!  LOL  I know I've been looking at the Amazon dry goods/bulk goods options more closely, trying to decide how much the home delivery is really worth in terms of our budget (1 cent more than local store price?  5 cents? ten cents?) because I /know/ getting four small kiddos into/out of the grocery store or Target will be an automatic "over did it" for at least the next month!

toddlers- will your toddler be content if you read books together on the couch?  Or can you put down a few blankets/sit on a pillow and play games on the floor?  My DS is fairly happy if I just sit with him as he builds with duplos or if I snuggle next to him while he watches a dvd show.  I get touched out fast, and sometimes I have to move quickly to protect dd3 from her over-enthusiastic big brother, but it's still "together time".  Oh, and if you have a wrap or really secure baby carrier, nursing the babe to sleep in the carrier and then playing with the toddler can work.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#13 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 10:27 AM

I'm taking comfort from this thread. I'm 12 days pp, and down with a plugged duct and flu-like symptoms today, after doing a lot of housework yesterday, and going on an outing the day before. I think I've got some oversupply going on, and an "easy" baby who sleeps in big chunks, too. I'll be staying in bed today and waking her up to nurse. I give thanks that my husband is home, and helpful.

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#14 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snanna View Post

plugged duct and flu-like symptoms

Sounds like you might have mastitis. hug.gif

Kellymom on plugged ducts & mastitis

Dr. Jack Newman's blocked ducts & mastitis page

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#15 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

That's about what I was thinking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. B. Sprout View Post

Sounds like you might have mastitis. hug.gif

Kellymom on plugged ducts & mastitis

Dr. Jack Newman's blocked ducts & mastitis page

#16 of 16 Old 10-08-2011, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

know I overdid it today... but it was worth it. It's our last day of having the car (loaned to us by a family member) so we decided to take a drive up to Kenosha, WI to enjoy the fall scenery and track down our favorite Wisconsin beer. While we were up there, we stocked up on some more dry good staples at the store too (with Chicago prices and taxes, it actually works out cheaper to drive all that way and pay the gas to buy stuff. Strange.) We really enjoyed seeing the fall leaves on our scenic drive up and spent some time at the lakefront too. 

So I'm exhausted, breastfeeding/pumping is way out of whack and I'm already bleeding a bit heavier, but we had a great time as a family. Tomorrow and the rest of the week I'll be taking it real easy to compensate. Well, after we go to farmer's market in the morning. :-) But then I'm going to put my feet up! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page