Postpartum exercise: what's your plan? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't really have one yet, but I need to get one! Baby will be 3 weeks tomorrow and going for a few walks is about all Ive mustered. Ive lost almost all my pregnancy weight, yet my pants don't zip up. Oh well. But Id like them to sometime in the near future! :-) Just wondering what agenda any of you ladies might have to get those bodies back into our comfy jeans. I don't know about any of you but my posture if awful! I feel like I had my spine replaced with a noodle! I need some core strength back but have no intentions on killing myself to do so this early. Once I get my 6 week check up clearance I will start swimming again. For now I think walks and the exercise routine in the Baby Book (Dr Sears, of course!) will be where I'm headed. I love to hear other ideas! wool.gif

And Baby makes five!!! grouphug.gif +dog2.gif x2!
#2 of 7 Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 AM

During my pregnancy I fully expected to be the crunchy yoga pregnant woman, and I ended up being way too uncomfortable to do even light yoga, let alone survive a two hour long power yoga class (scoliosis and relaxin don't mix). Once I get my nipples healed (so I can wear a shirt again) and baby can be left for a few hours I am RUNNING, not walking to the next class. Not so much about the weight...I'm a freak of nature who actually weighed less than prepregnancy leaving the hospital, but because my scoliosis took a beating with being pregnant and I'd like some strength back!!

Also, I'm extremely lazy. If I had to go to a gym or create my own workout routine it would never happen. I love having a yoga instructor tell me what to do for 2 hours a couple times a week smile.gif

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#3 of 7 Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 AM

I'm starting slow. First I want to rebuild my poor pelvic floor. I have the hab-it pelvic floor DVD and I love it! Then I need to fix my poor belly. I have a pretty bad diastasis recti. I may get the Mummy Tummy book to for that. After I feel like those two problems are fixed, I'll start real exercise.
I'm so impressed at pp's weight loss! I'm 25 lbs above my pre pregnancy weight. I started off very skinny this time, but still.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#4 of 7 Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishmommy View Post

I'm starting slow. First I want to rebuild my poor pelvic floor. I have the hab-it pelvic floor DVD and I love it! Then I need to fix my poor belly. I have a pretty bad diastasis recti. I may get the Mummy Tummy book to for that. After I feel like those two problems are fixed, I'll start real exercise.
I'm so impressed at pp's weight loss! I'm 25 lbs above my pre pregnancy weight. I started off very skinny this time, but still.

Your plan sounds like my plan! I'm 10 days PP now and have just been doing kegels to work on my pelvic floor. I haven't even ventured to put Luke in the Moby wrap yet but plan to try that today or tomorrow. I am about 12 lbs above PP weight but expect it to take a few months to shed those.

I too have the stomach separation so will take a look at that book. I am also looking into the Tupler Technique.

beyond that my only plans are really to wear the baby and do plenty of walking/outings with my daughter and some basic workouts with weights at home. Further down the road, maybe 5-6 mos PP, I plan to do P90X again, which I was doing when I got pregnant.

#5 of 7 Old 10-06-2011, 05:16 PM

Another slow starter here, but still healing from my c-section, so I probably won't start any real exercise until at least 6 weeks.  I've been walking almost every day, to my kids school and back which ends up being about half an hour altogether.  I also carry or wear my baby almost all day.  I can't wait to start running again, but not sure if I"ll have much of a chance until spring.  I'm not a winter runner, and it's pretty cold here in the winter so I wouldn't want to take baby out in that.  I will probably use my elliptical machine during the winter, and I have a routine from freetrainer.com that I really liked pre-pregnancy that I will probably start doing again.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#6 of 7 Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 AM

I'm 16 days pp, with mild to moderate pelvic organ prolapse and a diastasis recti seperation of about 3 fingers' width.

I'm combining the Tupler Technique (the dvd is easier to follow than the book, so if you don't have the book yet you might want to get the dvd instead... I have both, and the splint.  And the splint is great for the "spine noodle" issue!) and the Leslie Sansone walking dvds (where you "walk a mile" at home, each mile takes about 15 minutes and that's about how much free time I have during the day... the kiddos will sometimes "walk" with me but even if they don't, it's only 15 minutes!).  I also do a belly dance warm up/stretching routine in the shower each night.  It takes about 10 minutes but it's sort of "my time"... the hot water feels sooooo good, and the stretches feel even better, and there is no rush since the kiddos are in bed by the time I shower.  It's exercise, but really gentle and I have to take a shower anyway!  lol

In a week or two I'll start doing some of the Baby OM and Itsy Bitsy Yoga dvds with dd3... I LOVE the Itsy Bitsy yoga program and if you can find the book (or the dvds) give it a try.  All my kiddos love yoga and I think it's because they started so young!  (Itsy Bitsy, to Wai Lana, to Yoga Kids, and now a local youth yoga program).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After my first kiddo arrived via cesarean I found a wonderful aerobic workout dvd that featured a mom recovering from a cesarean (I'll go look it up if anyone wants, or it's listed in the mdc Natural Family Living Cesarean Resource thread in Birth & Beyond).  And the Bounce Back Into Shape After the Baby exercise routine (it uses an exercise/birth ball) is a very gentle but effective exercise routine designed by a fitness instructor who had a cesarean (she says she was shocked by what a big deal it was, that she'd always dismissed c/s as a "routine" sort of thing that wasn't a huge deal till she had one herself and realized it really is major surgery with far reaching physical side effects).  While I think Tupler and Walking would be perfect for mamas recovering from c/s, I know I found it encouraging to actually see c/s moms on the dvds....

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 7 Old 10-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Spine = wet noodle. Yes. This.

And I feel like my pelvic floor needs kegels before I do any core work too, but with stitches there in my tear... yowza. Not yet! I'm so impatient... I'm 12 days pp, and even though I've never been a skinny minnie, I'm anxious to feel like myself again, especially since just prior to getting pg, I had laproscopy and have pretty much felt like my body hasn't been my own for over a full year now... although it will be much longer before I get my boobs back, I'd at least like the rest of my body back now, please. LOL

As a partial non sequitur, anyone else finding it challenging to type with an armful of infant? I have the worst typos ever and it takes me twice as long to type even without correcting them. Typing alone feels like a workout! LOL

Moo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page