Mothering Forum banner

Trinity Marie is here!

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  wombatclay 
#1 ·
Back in July, my water broke at 29 weeks. I was air lifted to a big city hospital 2 hours away from home. I was immediately given antibiotics, put on efm and told I would deliver within 48 hours. I stayed on very strict bedrest for 1 week....still no labor. The hospital I was in is a teaching hospital, I was seen by a different ob each day, along with a bunch of residents. Their plan was to section me at 34 weeks regardless. Several of the doctors tried to scare me into to pre-authorizeing a c-section. All of this was terrifying. During this week I spoke with several skilled midwives who told me that many ruptures go unreported...lots of pregnant women say " i think I peed my pants" and dont go to the hospital. In the mean time, the hospital stay was becomeing a nightmere. They refused to discuss a more realistic plan for me. They wanted to keep me there until I delivered, and planned to keep the baby in the nicu until her due date ( Sept 27). My six year old was melting down without mommy. After much prayer and discussing things with the midwives. I decided to leave! The hospital staff made me sign an AMA form and tried to convince us we were making the wrong decision and presented a very morbid picture of what would happen if we left.

My fiance rented us an apartment close by the hospital and we decided to keep me on strict bedrest there, and followed strict instructions Not to insert anything into the vagina, kept things very clean and monitered my temperature several times a day. I went to a terrible ob clinic a few times, where they demanded i get repeat ultrasounds. We got into a terrible arguement when I refused to deliver at 34 weeks. I knew in my heart my child was healthy. I spent most of the days and nights paying close attention to her movements and patterns and listened to my body.

This time was very intense for us, we didn't know what would happen. Then.....the story changed.

At 37 weeks we met a wonderful midwife. She was recovering from a long illness and had just started attending births again. Her level of experience and healing energy set us both at ease. She agreed to attend our birth at the apartment! ( At this point, our finances were in terrible shape, but she has been willing to wait for payment...truely amazing.) So...we prepared for a homebirth. At 38 weeks I started having contractions off and on. This went on for a week, I was getting tired and ready to have the baby. But I was scared, after everything the mean doctors had told us. On Sept 22 I woke up after midnight having a painful contraction and I started bleeding a tiny bit and leaking water. I called the midwives. I dozed and labored through the night. At 6 I woke up my fiance and called the midwives. They came over, we all knew it was the day! My labor wasnt very strong and kept stalling. I was very scared they were going to tell me we had to go to the hospital because of the bleeding ( which was light). She checked me and I was at 4 cm. At this point I realized I needed someone to watch my son. I was worried we might need to transfer and I didnt want to scare him in labor. My stepmom came to get him from 3 hours away. The midwives set up and left, planning to come back in the afternoon. Between contractions I played with my son, ate breakfast and then lunch. I was very tired and drifted in and out of labor land. At 430 my son was picked up. The midwife came back and decided to stay. She hung out and read books. As soon as my son was out the door, real labor kicked in. As things intensefied I walked around the apartment. Leaned on the kitchen counter, the doorways and sat on the toilet. I decided things would take a very long time and complained a bit that it was taking too long. As things got more intense I sat on the toilet staring at the ugly linolium, which had circles about 10 cm in the pattern, I kept thinking Open Open Open lol. And doing horse lips to stay loose. My fiance was right there with me. I spent time hanging on him through transition. I felt mildly nausiated and burped. I remember thinking this isnt transition, or is it? Then the energy changed, I felt pressure and tried to go pee, but it was Trinity about to arrive. The midwife checked me on the toilet and I quickly moved to leaning over the bed in a semi squat. I did Not want to give birth on the toilet. I pushed for 2 or 3 minutes. The pain was really intense and I sort of lost it and was screaming obscenities. My fiance got to catch Trinity! Her hand came out next to her head, but I didnt tear :) So....there we are in total amazment that we are meeting our perfect, full term, healthy baby girl! Its almost 3 weeks later and we are back home in the mountains. We stayed in the city for 10 days recovering, we had some nice visits with our midwife and did a little shopping for baby supplies. I never got to shop on bedrest and couldnt resist. It was so good to bring our new child home. She is nurseing, growing and getting a nice glow from mommys milk :)

PS: To the bead exchange moms. I hung my beads over my bed, it was so nice to think of all you other moms and babies. We did it!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.