Birth story of Suri Davina - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-11-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, it's 6 weeks from the birth of my DD1 and I am finally adjusting to new mamahood and thought I would take a minute to share my birth story with everyone here. I hope that everyone is enjoying their new babies!

We had been in the process of renovating the house to make room for our new little girl and our house is was in disarray. Two nights before I was due I felt strongly that the space for our home water birth needed to be organized and made ready. So, my DP and I set about setting up our bed, inflating the pool, and collecting all of the supplies we would need in one place. We finished getting set up around 2 am the next day and went to sleep. A few short hours later I started having contractions that were every 5-7 minutes apart. These continued for the rest of the day and that night. They were so intense that I was unable to sleep and could barely eat. My doula arrived that evening to sit with my DP and I, as I was starting to feel very anxious. 

The next morning we called the midwife. My contractions were still mostly 5-7 minutes apart, although at times, they were as close as 3 minutes. I didn't know how I was going to get through if this were not actual labor. My midwife suggested that we come into the clinic to have a non-stress test and to check my dilation. I was indeed dilated to 5-6 cm and my midwife told me that she would meet me at my house in a couple of hours. We went home to find my parents busying themselves around the house. My dad was so anxious  that by the end of my labor, my dad had cut the grass, cleaned the kitchen, gone grocery shopping, and cooked dinner for us and our guests.

Shortly after I got home I called my doula and I got into the birth pool. I immediately felt a sense of relief in the water. My midwife and doula arrived shortly after. My contractions continued without any identifiable pattern. At one point, my midwife noticed that my contractions seemed to be getting further and further apart. But, when she checked my dilation, I was fully dilated! She quickly called the back up midwife and student and asked them to come. I started to push. The other midwifes arrived just in the nick of time. I had been labouring in the pool on my hands and knees, but one of the midwives suggested that I try to push on my back. My mother and DP and doula were holding me up as I pushed against the side of the pool. I felt my head falling back into the water and finally said, "I can't push; I  feel like I have no support." My midwife immediately asked that someone get into the pool. Despite indicating several times that he would never get into the birth pool, my DP took off his pants and socks and jumped right in behind me. He supported me as I finally birthed our DD! Our DD was born 6 lbs 14 oz at 6:11 pm on her due date!

After nearly 37 hours from the first contraction to the moment of birth, I was exhausted, but elated. The midwives and my doula settled us in bed with our new little girl and my dad served us all dinner. We couldn't have had a better birth - smooth, gentle, loving, and supported. We both feel so blessed and grateful for this transformative experience. 

Since her birth, our DD lost a lot of weight. She has continued to have trouble gaining weight and we've had some challenges breastfeeding. My midwife has been amazing. She provided us with tons of post-natal support. She was at our home almost every day for the first week to check on us and continued to monitor us closely and provide valuable support throughout the weeks that followed. My DD is now gaining weight and we are slowly, but surely, adjusting to our new life together and learning about each other.

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

Currently belly.gif(EDD: February 2014)

#2 of 5 Old 11-12-2011, 07:00 PM

blessings to the new one!

Love tocrochetsmilie.gifand have way to much yarn!   teapot2.GIF is always on at my place.  
Wife familybed1.gif, momma femalesling.GIF, teacher homeschool.gif and all that is inbetween to A b. 31/12/04,  W b. 27/10/06vbac.gif,  V b 17/01/09hbac.gif, and     G b. 09/09/11hbac.gif

#3 of 5 Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mae!

Mother to a wonderful little girl, born Sept/2011 via h20homebirth.gif and enjoyingbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gif

#4 of 5 Old 11-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Beautiful story! It sounds like even with nursing challenges you are enjoying your time with your sweet baby! They change so fast!

#5 of 5 Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

It was indeed a wonderful day! I'm still can't believe that I'm a mama to this wonderful little being. It's amazing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page