First Appointments....let's dish - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 156 Old 01-27-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK, I know everyone is ready to get the talking going, but if I remember correctly from the first time around we will be full of tmi in no time at all....but...I figured this was a good first topic.

Have you scheduled your first appointment yet? Are you going midwife or OB? Hosiptal? Home Birth? Birth Center?

Any first time mamas have questions from the mamas who have btdt?

My first appointment with my midwife is 2/18. We are waiting until after that date to announce to everyone. My DD was planned as a birth center delivery which ended up as a hospital delivery with epidural, which was just fine and peaceful and went wonderfully, not sure what we will be doing this time around.

Kim

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#2 of 156 Old 01-27-2011, 05:08 PM

So what do you do at the first appointment?  Is 2/18 late enough to have a u/s?

I talked to a nurse midwife I want to use a few months ago.  She said they like to see women some time in the first trimester.  I think I'll wait another week or two, then call in and ask when they want me. 

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#3 of 156 Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Technically, I had mine today! But it was still my RE, not the OB.

I'll be having a hospital birth with an OB.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#4 of 156 Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have an appointment with my ob at the end of next month - it was supposed to be about starting the next level of fertility treatments but we'll just switch up the topics a bit!

I am actually going to call my ob tomorrow. I am worried my progesterone levels are too low (I had to take progesterone with ds) & want to get a script asap if need be.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 156 Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 PM

We are planning a homebirth with a midwife. I have not started looking yet. Will probably make the first appointment around 10-12 weeks. There is a thread on the Sept. DDC about midwives in Portland. I will definitely be checking in on there to for suggestions.

Jennifer, mama to two beautiful blessings (ds 3/2000 and dd 9/2002) who are growing and amazing me every day and hoping for another!
#6 of 156 Old 01-27-2011, 08:38 PM

We are going to meet the two midwives in our area next week, not for a first appointment just to choose a provider. Then I guess she'll tell us when the first visit should be. I'm hoping for a home water birth. I've had two at home but this would be my first in water. Jenny

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#7 of 156 Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Because of the laws and legal issues of me (VBAC momma) having a homebirth in my state I already started looking at MW's.  I have an appt set up with one for Feb 23rd and I'm hoping she's IT.  I have gotten nothing but rave reviews about her so far and I love that she's willing to help me out even though she's a licensed MW.  I'll be meeting up with her to talk about $$, what kind of care we are going to do, what legal issues I might face after the birth, what I want from the birth, and her birth philosophy.  I won't be having but 1 US during the entire pregnancy (unless medically indicated) so that won't be until at least 20 weeks.  If for some crazy reason she doesn't work out (and the talks we've had so far make her sound PERFECT) then I have the number of a traveling MW and another of an unlicensed MW who attends VBACs as well.  I'm excited to get this show on the road and find someone!!!

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#8 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 AM

I just scheduled my first appt for Feb 17. That'll be just under 8 weeks. I'm hoping that'll be far enough along to be interesting. (First-timer here!) I don't know if it would be "normal" to do an ultrasound, but we should be able to hear the heartbeat by then, right? My first couple appointments will be with an OB here in Italy. He is recommended by the English-speaking expats, who say he is low-intervention. We'll be moving mid-pregnancy though and I'll be looking for a MW after that. Hopefully, that won't be too much of a problem. fingersx.gif
#9 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

So for your first time mamas... the first appointment is not nearly as exciting as you want it to be, but it gets exciting. Basically they will take down all of your information, just like any first doctors appointment and then depending on what you choose you may or may not have a vaginal exam. I have one myself, I don't see the harm but you can choose not to if you want to be totally non-invasive. The next time you will have any internal exam will be when you are labor (if everything goes perfectly normal)!

We will be around 8 weeks for our first appointments, give or take based on your due date, your midwife of OB may want to listen for a heartbeat but probably not until your second visit. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) heart beat starts around 10 weeks. 

I go a very hands off route in pregnancy and only had 1 ultrasound last time, so I don't know what is normal for your practice but I think it's fairly early for the first one. Perhaps if you need to confirm due date/ size of baby? You can always ask for one if you are dying to see, but it will not be nearly as amazing and emotional for you as it will be later on. Also be careful of your insurance benefits because some only cover a certain amount of ultra sounds for a normal pregnancy ( as in if there is something wrong, or you are high risk, you can get as many as needed)

Does that answer some questions?

Also all of you first time mamas, I know it is a tall order but try your best not to worry about miscarriage. One of the best things you can do is be stress free and relaxed, before you know it the high risk period will be over!

#10 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 03:47 AM

Thanks for low down, Kim!
#11 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 04:34 AM

Kim - Thanks for the info!  As a first-timer, it's good to kind of know what to expect!

I've actually already had two doctor's appointments, but only because I was at high-risk for ectopic pregnancy.  Basically, all we've done so far is two U/S to make sure everything is in the right place.  First U/S showed nothing, but was super early.  Second U/S yesterday showed the gestational sac and yolk sac in the uterus, so all is well.  Now my next appointment won't be until 2/25 when I will be a little over nine weeks.  That'll be the whole "ob workup" as they call it, which my doctor already warned would be boring. 

Valerie - Happily married to DH since 09/08 love.gif

Baby Jacob's finally here!!  10/4/11  babyboy.gif

#12 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 05:12 AM

Do you plan to take DH/DP to the first appointment?

#13 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 AM

Val - I had early u/s with ds (as follow up to the fertility treatment) - dh was with me & for some reason was totally grossed out when the doctor pointed out the yolk sac. He couldn't explain but for some reason I really found that upsetting. Too funny.

yellowdart - it is highly unlikely dh will come to any of my appointments. It's an hour drive each way so for him to come he has to take at least half a day off. Maybe he'll come to the u/s at 20 weeks.

#14 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 09:59 AM

Heart beat starts beating pretty early, but you can't HEAR it til about 10-12eks or so through a doppler/fetoscope.

Unless there is a question about the due date (like you didn't track your cycles or may have confused some bleeding for a period) or if you've had bleeding & fear a MC then there's no reason at all for an early US.  I won't be getting one and will only consent to the anatomy/gender scan at 20weeks.

Hubs will be coming with me.  He likes to be involved in this kind of stuff and with us using a MW for the first time he really wants to go to the indepth first meeting. 

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#15 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Heart starts beating before 7 weeks and you can see it on u/s. When they didn't see a HB at my 2nd u/s last time (6wk5d) they suspected a miscarriage and they were right. Sac can sometimes be seen as early as 4 weeks. Based on my hCG levels I'm expecting my first u/s next week.

DH will probably only come to the "big" visits. I go so often, it gets boring! (I've had 30 ultrasounds in the past year.)

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#16 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 10:51 AM

I have an U/S scheduled for 7 weeks, was a bit surprised (expected just to do exam & pap smear since it's been a couple of years). I'm staying with the same OB practice that delivered my son, but it wasn't the practice I started with last time (the head dr there was wayyyy too full of herself). As long as it is a quick U/S I don't mind. We do the 12 and 20 week ones too, but no others as long as everything seems fine.

Dosergirl, who's your MW? We're in the west suburbs, I delivered at Emerson last time and was pretty happy overall, but still wondering about local MW's.

I've met all the OB's in our area (after deciding to ditch one of them at 30w) and I like all but that one. The only thing that I didn't like about my son's birth was the "don't push, you're not fully dilated yet" business. I ended up asking for an epidural to slow down the pushing (that I couldn't stop), because it felt like the only option. I wonder if a doula or MW would have had some other suggestions for either slowing down the pushing or speeding up the dilation.

Hope that doesn't scare any of the first-time mommas out there. I did feel completely in control of the decisions made, just wondering after the fact if there were alternatives that the OB and nurses weren't familiar with.

#17 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Korintherin.... I don't have any experience with an OB but I did have DD in a hospital with epidural and midwife. My experience of course is just my own but sounds the opposite of what yours was, very much on my own schedule and very helpful as far as options on what to do while laboring (53 hours I was in labor) You might benefit from meeting with a midwife.

#18 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM

I just made my first appointment with the nurse midwives for March 2nd, at which point I'll be just over 8 weeks.  I don't think they do an ultrasound then unless I have no idea when I conceived. 

#19 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 PM

Do you mind sharing (or PMing) the name of the midwife/hospital? Since you're in the area...

#20 of 156 Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 PM

So I spent most of today trying to secure an appointment right away.

With ds I had to take a progesterone supplement to help prevent miscarriage & the ob I've been seeing for fertility treatments indicated to me that I have chronically low progesterone. So I am anxious to get this checked & start supplements if needed.

BUT my ob is on holiday until the end of February & his replacement is not taking appointments, just on call - so to see him I'd have to go to emergency (which would mean a ridiculously long wait since it's not technically an emergency).

So then I tried my family doctor - she basically said she doesn't know enough about it & wouldn't know what to give me. Sigh.

So then I went to a walk-in clinic - after an hour wait he basically said the same thing.

Now my only option is to go to emerg so I can see an ob. But our town has no childbirth unit so there are no ob's on staff which means I have to go somewhere else. SOOO frustrating - it seems like such a simple thing that could do so much good.

I'm undecided if I want to spend tomorrow sitting in emergency or wait until Monday to start calling ob offices & see if someone will fit me in right away. Sigh.

#21 of 156 Old 01-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Dosergirl, are you using a midwifery practice or going to a midwife at a hospital? We're both in Boston so I was curious to see who you are going with as I'm new to this.

Anyone have some good suggestions as to what questions to as a midwife?

Thanks <3

#22 of 156 Old 01-30-2011, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

MamaMcBride...so excited that you are in Boston, we have great options here!

I go to the Cambridge Birth Center, which is litterally across the street from Cambridge Hospital. It is in an old house, very homey.  I see a midwife there, have all of my appointments there. For anything  like blood work and ultrasounds I go to Cambridge Hospital. I loved the midwives and care I got with my DD. I was in labor for a very long time, at home and the Birth Center and eventually opted to transfer to the hospital and had a wonderful hospital birth. In the hospital I was still attended by midwives, I have never seen an OB :)

I know that Mount Auburn Hospital also has Midwives who work at the hospital. I chose to go to The Birth Center because my original plan was to birth there at the "house" where the rooms are literally like bedrooms. I also really liked having the option of transferring to the hospital should something go awry, I literally walked myself over to the hospital in labor last time, stopping periodically to sway through contractions.

OK that was long winded, but I really like my midwife :)

#23 of 156 Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and for the other question about DH/DP

DH went with me the first time around to the appointment but not sure if he will come this time or not, totally up to him. Otherwise he will just come to the appointment where we have the ultrasound around 20 weeks, this time I think I want to know if it is a boy or a girl, unlike last time.

#24 of 156 Old 01-31-2011, 06:45 AM

Woohoo, first u/s today - saw a sac! Back in 2 weeks. I do have a SCH which is making me a little nervous.

Last time, my prenatal care got really screwed up so I had my 13wk u/s and then didn't see a MW till I was 21wks pregnant--now I have things to obsess over!

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#25 of 156 Old 01-31-2011, 02:27 PM

I am still trying to work out if our insurance will cover a midwife homebirth/birth center. The thought of going with an OB is extremely upsetting. I do want to have one ultrasound later on but I'm not doing any other testing. I'm not wanting to do the glucose testing, either, if I can get by without any BS.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#26 of 156 Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 PM

Well, I had my first "appointments" over the past couple of days.

For ds' pregnancy I took progesterone & my ob a few months ago said we would need to do similarly again this time to help prevent miscarriage.

BUT my ob is holiday until the end of February, his replacement was not taking appointments, my family doctor didn't know what the protocol of progesterone was & the walk-in doctor said the same (1.5 hours wasted). So I had to go to emergency (so frustrating when I know it's not an emergency - just something that needs to be dealt with in a reasonable amount of time).

So this morning I had mil watch ds & headed to a hospital in the next town (ours doesn't do childbirth so no ob's on staff).

I was expecting to spend hours there but was in & out in an hour with a script in hand!!! What  a relief. At least now I feel I am doing everything possible to keep this baby sticky.

#27 of 156 Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

I was expecting to spend hours there but was in & out in an hour with a script in hand!!! What  a relief. At least now I feel I am doing everything possible to keep this baby sticky.

Yay!  I'm so glad that went more easily than you expected.  Stick baby stick!

#28 of 156 Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 PM

I get to meet the local midwives on Wednesday. Does anyone have favorite questions I should ask them in the process of deciding whom to use? Mostly I'll go by feel..... I'm excited to get to do something sort of concrete..

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#29 of 156 Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthmamajen View Post

I get to meet the local midwives on Wednesday. Does anyone have favorite questions I should ask them in the process of deciding whom to use? Mostly I'll go by feel..... I'm excited to get to do something sort of concrete..

I SURE DO!!  I'm going to post in a new topic since it's VERY long!!!  :D

#30 of 156 Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 AM

1st appt for me is Feb 17th (just made the call today) - I will be 8 wks + DH will likely stay home as that first visit is boring and someone needs to stay with DS. (at 14 months, I really don't think he would get any joy of coming).

I have switched practices as I want a clean slate and no emotional baggage from my 1st pregnancy, which went well, but ended in a c-section. Plan on using the same hospital, but bringing my own doula this time.

As for ultrasounds, the # I had with DS I was content with, I had 12 week scan, 22 weeks for anatomy, then 28 weeks so they could get a look at his face and heart, which he wasn't in a good positon at 22 weeks to see, then BPP at 40 and 41 weeks, since I went postdates. (granted, we really could have cut out the last three, but the BPP's made it more likely for the CNM's to be ok with me going postdates. it was a compromise)

testing: I really don't want to do GTT but as I am overweight, it is really difficult to convince them not to, even though I passed with flying colors the first time. we shall see.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page