bad acne - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-31-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use ProActive, which normally keeps my acne away.(I have teenager acne along with the large painful pimples) Even the hormone-related pimples rarely show up when I use ProActive. It does not seem to do a darn thing for the past few weeks. I've never had acne this bad before!! And this is #4. With #1 it got bad but not like this. How do you get rid of this? It's very disturbing and distracting.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-04-2011, 10:47 PM

Let me know when you find out! I've used a benzoyl peroxide regimen for years and its worked great (prob. similar effect to proactive - regimen at acne.com but basically slathering on LOTS of benzoyl 2.5 after washing & then moisturizing). It's still working now that I'm preg, except on these stubborn little bumps around and under my chin (I've read this is where hormonal acne tends to show up).  They're not super visible but very persistent! 

I hate acne!! I had this silly thought when I first got pregnant that maybe I'd be one of the lucky ones whose skin clears right up during pregnancy.  SILLY ME!

#3 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, my chin is where it's horrible, except mine are very visible and huge. My face reminds me of pictures of people on meth!! Proactive is benzoyl peroxide. It's seeming to finally calm down, thankfully! My acne got worse with #1 but not #2 and #3. I also was hoping to get lucky during pregnancy, not meant to be this time!

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#4 of 11 Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 PM

The best cure for my acne was going vegan. I don't know if that's a possibility for you though.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#5 of 11 Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM

I have a few acne bumps popping up on my face and chest, don't laugh...but I bought proactiv online, and it worked wonders! I know I sound like a commercial...but it really works and it's only twenty bucks! :)

#6 of 11 Old 02-27-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

I had been using proactive but it wasn't touching the early-pregnancy acne! It was actually getting worse. Now it's calmed down and I am back to using proactice every other day or so. I love proactive!

#7 of 11 Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 AM

Sigh.  There is something slightly unfair about the concept that I'm still young enough to have to deal with acne and breaking out, but I'm old enough to start noticing a few more wrinkles here and there.  Zits and wrinkles, I mean, come on, is there no mercy!!!

Amy, feathering our nest with sweet husband O and baby girl, P (October 2011). 
#8 of 11 Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

My acne just never went away. It runs on my dad's side of the family, and it can get pretty bad. But as long as I use proactive it stays away. Now as for the wrinkles, I got used to the ones I have, and they are only noticable when I smile so that makes me feel better about them!

#9 of 11 Old 02-28-2011, 12:22 PM

I am a LONG sufferer of acne, both teenage and the oh so lovely adult acne. I was a faithful user of Pro Active for years and it kept all my skin issues at bay very nicely. But last summer I went off it in an attempt to go more natural and get the chemicals out of my system. 

While I was away last summer for 4 months in South East Asia, I had the best skin of my life and all I was using was soap, drinking loads of water and soaking up lots of sun and vitamin D. As soon as I returned home to Vancouver, the acne flared up worse than ever. 

Since January I have been giving myself nightly moor mud masks (unreal and immediate results) and using Castor oil on my skin each morning and night. This new system has been INCREDIBLE. Overnight big bumps are shrunk and redness reduced. over the course of just a few days I saw my skins texture is become softer and clearer. Its even helping a few of my deep forehead wrinkles take a back seat. 

I wash with a natural cleaners from LUSH (fresh fharmacy) and then massage a 1/2 tbs of organic Castor oil all over my face and neck.  In the mornings I let it sit a few minutes and then with a tissue I dab off the excess and I am good to go. (its far to oily to apply makeup over).

I've read that Castor oil is natures benzol peroxide and I can attest to how well it works! Its also suppose to be fab for stretch marks and scars so I will be keeping a bottle on hand from here on in!

#10 of 11 Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM

@ vanmomma - great tips! I slather benzoyl peroxide all over my face (and back & chest) religiously as its the only thing that works but I hate relying on chemicals too.  I have tried so many natural remedies but not castor oil yet...I'm going to give it a go. Thanks!

p.s. I am a Vancouver mama too! :)

#11 of 11 Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM

My pleasure Tink!

Its been so nice to find something that works for me and my "mature" (I'm 32) dry acne prone skin and is chemical free. And super rad to find another Van Momma here ;) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLtheTinkerbell View Post

@ vanmomma - great tips! I slather benzoyl peroxide all over my face (and back & chest) religiously as its the only thing that works but I hate relying on chemicals too.  I have tried so many natural remedies but not castor oil yet...I'm going to give it a go. Thanks!

p.s. I am a Vancouver mama too! :)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page