Mothering Forum banner

Food

5K views 127 replies 54 participants last post by  corrabelle 
#1 ·
~pi's post in the other thread reminded me of a funny thing that happened the other day...

I was eating chips and salsa. I would have added sour cream, except that it's a little hard to come by in these parts, so I added some plain yogurt. Of course, I only had the last dregs of a bag of corn chips (also something that can only be purchased at the international food market) so I quickly got down to the chips that were too small to dip. At which point, it seemed only logical to pour the salsa/yogurt mixture over the broken chips and eat them with a spoon. Well I'd eaten maybe 3 spoonfuls of this when I stopped mid-bite to see DH staring at me in *horror*.
lol.gif
I don't know, it still seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to eat, but DH insists that is not normal.

[Borrowing from the Sept DDC - That's a sign of flattery, right?] What are you eating these days? What's sounding good?

See less See more
#77 ·
I started out with crazy protein cravings - I wanted nothing but meat and breakfast sandwiches. Then I graduated to soup, salad, and fruit. Now, I don't care what it is as long as it is hot (temperature, not spice) and not sweet (which is unheard of for me - I'm a sugarholic). Last night, I made the most thick, rich, fattening Mac & Cheese (with bacon) in the history of the world. It smelled and tasted amazing, but I could barely eat anything. Stuff sounds really good, and then I can't eat it. That's been my problem this whole time.

I can't believe I have been turning my nose up at sweets. My husband thinks something is seriously wrong with me, since this is so out of character. I turned down a doughnut this morning... And it had SPRINKLES!

#78 ·
ARGH! So I went out and ran some errands (and to ds's school) after I ate my cake. Then I went to qdoba. Sitting in my car in the parking lot it suddenly didn't sound good anymore. So I went home. By the time I made it home nachos sounded good again.
dizzy.gif
I refused to drive all the way back to qdoba so decided to make some at home. Just as I was pulling them out of the oven my phone rang..... it was ds's special ed teacher calling to tell me that ds was acting up. Noooo! I managed to talk to him for a minute and he said he would go back to his class and try to do some work. That at least bought me enough time to eat the nachos. LOL! And now I have to head back over to his school. It's during times like these I wish we lived close enough to walk!

#80 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

I can't believe I have been turning my nose up at sweets. My husband thinks something is seriously wrong with me, since this is so out of character. I turned down a doughnut this morning... And it had SPRINKLES!
Me too! I usually only want sweets especially ice cream but now all i want are savory foods like meat (which I usually don't like) and veggies and salty chips.
Steph your mention of nachos reminded me of what my dad used to call nachos..a tortilla chip with a piece of cheese and slice of jalapeno pepper on top melted in the oven..if i ever go to the grocery store I will definitely get the stuff to make those!

#81 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post
Last night, I made the most thick, rich, fattening Mac & Cheese (with bacon) in the history of the world. It smelled and tasted amazing, but I could barely eat anything.
Recipe please!! That sounds sooooo good! When we were in Florida over the summer I had the most delicious lobster mac & cheese. I just bought lobster to try to re-create it. LOL!

#82 ·
When I get home tonight, I'll share that one as well as the healthy one I usually make. Last night, we were out of cottage cheese (which the healthy recipe requires), and too lazy to go to the store so we went with the Mac & Cheese for Fatties recipe... And added the bacon.
orngbiggrin.gif

#84 ·
Well, I went from fruit fruit and more fruit, to pickled beets-(ate a whole jar in one sitting-good thing they were preservative-free!). I am now craving brownies and chocolate cake, which is fun because I'm gluten-free. lol

I am a vegetarian, and have been for many years-but I can't tell you how much I am craving chicken lately. I don't know...I'm wondering if I'll be an omnivore before this pregnancy is up!

:)

TMI ALERT: Anyone eating healthy things, but getting RIDICULOUS amounts of gas? I eat, and 5 minutes later I get stomach cramps and my whole belly sounds like a tom-tom drum. Then the inevitable happens, and I feel better-but I've NEVER been this gaseaous!!

bigeyes.gif

#85 ·
I really wanted a pudding pop today. Hello?! This is not on my whole foods diet. Neither are the oyster crackers I've eaten a whole bag of. It's hard to eat healthy when you feel horrible! Will be glad when 2nd trimester hits and the 24/7 nausea is gone. Oh, and for some reason, I have an aversion to all things green (and I usually LOVE my veggies).

#86 ·
Right there with you on the gas, and hiccups too for some reason! It feels non-stop!

Also, a friend of mine that is a vegetarian ate a ton of roast beef during her first pregnancy. She just craved it incessantly and had to have it. She's back to veggies now, though, but these pregnancy cravings are crazy!

#87 ·
Steph, here's those two recipes:

"Down-Home Mac & Cheese"

1/4 cup butter, divided

1/4 cup flour

1 cup milk

1/2 lb Velveeta, cut into 1/2" cubes

2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked, drained

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

6 Ritz crackers, crushed

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Melt 3 Tbsp butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in flour, cook two minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk; cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Add Velveeta. Cook 3 minutes or until melted, stirring frequently. Stir in macaroni. Spoon into 2 qt casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheddar. Melt remaining butter and toss with cracker crumbs - sprinkle over casserole. Bake 20 minutes.

We added precooked bacon when we added the noodles (pre baking).

And the HEALTHY recipe:

1 1/2 cups Pasta Shells

1 cup chopped onion

1 clove minced garlic

10 oz frozen peas

2 cups broccoli

2 tbsp lowfat milk

1 cup 1% lowfat cottage cheese

1/2 tsp dry mustard

1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1/8 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups reduced fat sharp cheddar

Optional: Bacon (we add bacon to everything) :)

Bring large pot of water to boil - add pasta, onions, and garlic.Cook for 3 minutes, add vegetables and cook for 5 minutes or until pasta is just tender. Drain and return to pot.

In medium bowl, stir together milk, cottage cheese, mustard, pepper, and salt. Add to pasta mixture.

Stir in cheddar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook two minutes or until cheese melts and mix is hot.

Serves 4 - 1 serving is approximately 375 calories (without bacon).

#88 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

I feel like such a cliche... I'm sitting here at the computer, munching on a bowl of sliced pickles. But they taste soooo good!
lol.gif

Glad you got your nachos, Steph!
MMMMMM, I just read that and had to send DP out for some baby dills. I'm so excited!

#91 ·
This blog post from a cooking mama has one of my family's favorite recipes- made from scratch hamburger helper knock-off. It's seriously so good. Especially if you add extra cheese. ;) And easily done without the hamburger, if you want to avoid it!

http://stolenmomentscooking.blogspot.com/2008/11/cheeseburger-macaroni.html

I signed up for Mothering's pregnancy emails, and look what landed in my mail this morning! How does this sound to the rest of you??

Baby Nog

This is a great drink to have at the beginning of your day. It's packed with protein for energy, and B vitamins to calm and sustain you. Both and yeast and the molasses are good sources of iron. Adapt the drink to your particular tastes and food persuasions. It's good throughout pregnancy and during the breastfeeding years as well.

1 cup cow, soy, or rice milk
1 raw egg (optional)
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (if the drink gives you gas, start with 1 teaspoon and gradually increase to 1 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses (again, start with less
and build up if the taste is strong for you)
1 Tablespoon honey

Blend until frothy and serve in a chilled glass.

This recipe does contain an optional raw egg. According to the American Egg Board, the risk of encountering an egg contaminated with the Salmonella bacteria is extremely rare, only one in 20,000 eggs will have even a trace of it or another bacteria inside. If you are concerned, however, you can make the recipe using an egg substitute, or no egg at all.

I've never ever used nutritional yeast before, but I'm liking the idea of starting my day with egg, milk, and molasses....

#93 ·
I wouldn't trust raw eggs unless I knew where they were coming from, but that's just my risk aversion. (Admittedly, since I do know where my eggs come from, I have no trouble eating eggs over-easy.) That mix sounds a lot like the "tiger milk" that DH grew up with. (He was raised on a commune, and they tried all sorts of interesting things for nutrition.)

We put nutritional yeast on popcorn. It's really tasty, cuts down on the need for salt, and hey, extra B-vitamins. (One of the tastier commune tricks!)

#94 ·
I'm SO hungry, but nothing sounds appetizing. I'm not even nauseous, it's just that nothing sounds good, and everything tastes soapy. My mouth even tastes soapy when I haven't had anything to eat. And the heartburn. How can a piece of dry toast be so painful? Oy.

My main aversion is onions, which makes me sad because they're one of my favorite foods. A bowl of beans just isn't the same without a scattering of onions. But I can't even stand to smell my husband's breath after HE eats them. He had some at lunch yesterday and his breath is still appalling.

I have been eating quite a bit of cereal and milk (Cocoa Pebbles are vitamin fortified, so they're not ALL bad, right?). Whoever mentioned potatoes gets a gold star...I'm not going to run out and get any right this second, but I have an excellent feeling I'll still be craving them tomorrow. Man, a baked potato sounds good. With some sour cream and A1.

#95 ·
Spaghetti sounded amazing to me today for some reason, so I got a kids meal of it to-go from Red Robin for lunch. It was really crappy quality, but tasted amazing. Within an hour, I was craving fruit snacks.

I would like to add that neither of these things are items I eat on a regular basis, which made the cravings weirder.

#97 ·
Hmmm...I will have to try that baby nog. We have chickens, so I know our eggs are safe. I seriously despise blackstrap molasses but think of it as medicine so I can probably stomach past it.

The stuffed mushrooms...umm...what was I thinking reading a thread about food?!? Those sound great right now!

#98 ·
I just confirmed with DH, and that Baby Nog is exactly the recipe for Tiger Milk. He does not recommend it on the basis of taste. Though he says, "It does have certain developmental qualities -- it grows bitterness." I think being encouraged to drink it as a child was perhaps not the best way to engender a liking for the stuff. Though he is a ridiculously healthy person ...

Still, I will take my molasses on oatmeal, thank you very much.

#99 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

Though he says, "It does have certain developmental qualities -- it grows bitterness."
lol.gif

OK, I'm just happy to be able to read this thread again. After two days of being sick, I'm back to "normal" nausea.

So here's something I've been curious about for a while: What did you eat before you got pregnant? Those of you who have been craving protein - did you eat much protein before? Those who have been craving carbs - did you eat much carbohydrate before?

Before pregnancy I ate a lot of protein and veggies, fewer carbs and little sugar. Now, most of the time, I have no interest in meat, eggs, or most veggies. On the other hand, I can almost always stomach yogurt or an apple (things I ate before, just not as frequently). I've also eaten at McDonald's three times and gone through a whole box of cereal (very unusual for me). I've actually been trying to keep my protein consumption up, because I heard it can help with morning sickness, but it's been really hard.

#100 ·
My eating habits have mostly stayed the same, though I am eating way more frequently than usual. My first pregnancy, I craved all sorts of weird salty stuff I didn't normally eat, but this time, it's been just the same stuff I usually eat, with more emphasis on certain fruits and veg.

The one odd thing for me has been that I've been really, really keen on cereal, which I normally eat only very rarely. My body seems to really want it right now, and my blood sugars have been absolutely fine with it, which is not at all normal for me. I am letting it go for the first trimester and enjoying it while it lasts, because I know that pretty soon, I will no longer be able to handle cereal and milk without my blood sugars going berserk.

Side note: I had the most delicious kale-banana-berry smoothie for breakfast today. Thank you to whoever suggested adding kale to smoothies -- it was fantastic! I am definitely serving this to my DS and will be adding kale to our summer yogourt pops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.