Food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 128 Old 02-02-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
~pi's post in the other thread reminded me of a funny thing that happened the other day...

I was eating chips and salsa. I would have added sour cream, except that it's a little hard to come by in these parts, so I added some plain yogurt. Of course, I only had the last dregs of a bag of corn chips (also something that can only be purchased at the international food market) so I quickly got down to the chips that were too small to dip. At which point, it seemed only logical to pour the salsa/yogurt mixture over the broken chips and eat them with a spoon. Well I'd eaten maybe 3 spoonfuls of this when I stopped mid-bite to see DH staring at me in *horror*. lol.gif I don't know, it still seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to eat, but DH insists that is not normal.

[Borrowing from the Sept DDC - That's a sign of flattery, right?] What are you eating these days? What's sounding good?
#2 of 128 Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 AM

I think it's an entirely reasonable thing to do! And very practical too, actually. orngbiggrin.gif Of course I'm pregnant too, that might have something to do with my take on it. 

What sounds good? Not much at the moment, aside from an egg sandwich. I seem to eat one every day, two slices of whole wheat bread, an egg fried up in some non-stick spray, and a slice of maple honey ham. Yum! Dinner is a challenge, and for breakfast I have yogurt with half a banana sliced up in it. No really weird cravings yet, I'm curious what those will turn out to be this time around. 

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#3 of 128 Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM

Seems like a perfect solution to me.

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#4 of 128 Old 02-06-2011, 05:20 PM

i would totally eat that!!

in the last two days i ate a whole jar of garlic stuffed olives! 

Amanda
Mama to Amelia (9.8.06) and Jonah (6.19.09)
#5 of 128 Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Chips and salsa is a staple in our house pregnant or not. It is an easy mostly healthy snack that the kids and i LOVE> Even better if its homemade salsa from my garden in the summer. 

I am super hungry but not a lot sounds good. Yesterday I made boiled eggs ( for salads/deviled eggs, etc). Apple crisp (for a party and the leftovers were breakfast), pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, baked salmon and today Chilli!

Homeschooling mama to 3 Italian babies. homeschool.gif  Due with #4 on Sept. 28! Planning a rockin' Homebirth. homebirth.jpg

#6 of 128 Old 02-06-2011, 06:48 PM

I had tamari marinated chickpeas and romaine lettuce for breakfast this morning. Really hit the spot.  DH was a little horrified...

#7 of 128 Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 AM

Ooh deviled eggs! Now there's an idea! I have a really hard time coming up with stuff to eat at the moment, I am nauseated all day every day so it's tough. But deviled eggs sounds like something I can do! Thanks!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#8 of 128 Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 AM

OH man, deviled eggs or egg salad sounds awesome right now. I saw a picture of Chili and had to make some , that was good. I get strong cravings and food aversions when I am pregnant, can't eat chocolate chip cookies or potatoe chips (they taste like metal) for example. Love pickles which sounds so cliche but it's true. I also can't stand the smell of cooking meat, eating the meat is fine but the cooking makes me gag, so i have a hard time right now making dinner.

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#9 of 128 Old 02-07-2011, 01:02 PM

Eggs are the LAST thing I want to see/smell while pregnant... pity they're so healthy.

It's been really hard for me to execute dinner this past week. I have a menu plan but the nausea is so strong between 3 and 5 pm that I just can't make myself start cooking. We've been eating a lot of pasta and way more restaurant food than we should be. My DH doesn't cook (unless I am REALLY sick). Now more than ever I wish we had family close by!

#10 of 128 Old 02-07-2011, 01:11 PM

I ate egg salad sandwiches 3 days in a row last week because I couldn't go on with my day until I had it!

Nausea is still pretty mild but I get so hungry. Like I HAVE TO EAT NOW!!!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#11 of 128 Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosergirl View Post

can't eat chocolate chip cookies or potatoe chips (they taste like metal) for example.

Isn't that weird? I ate some peanut m&m's today and they totally tasted like metal. WTH?!?

I'm another one of those "eating everything in sight" types right now. I've found I need to eat something every 2 hours or so or I get really nauseous.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#12 of 128 Old 02-07-2011, 04:14 PM

lol! Sounds practical to me. Why let it go to waste? :D

I've been eating like normal so far. *knock on wood* No aversion, cravings or nausea to speak of.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#13 of 128 Old 02-07-2011, 04:52 PM

OMG that made me laugh! 

I've added battered haddock and cod filets to my list...it has to have tartar sauce with it! YUM! Oh, I also bought *hot* italian sausage today...don't know why but I thought it would taste good in place of meatballs with some spaghetti (which I never eat)! 

I forgot what cravings are like but I'm assuming it's a craving when I can't get a certain food out of my mind and HAVE to have it! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#14 of 128 Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korintherin View Post

Eggs are the LAST thing I want to see/smell while pregnant... pity they're so healthy.

It's been really hard for me to execute dinner this past week. I have a menu plan but the nausea is so strong between 3 and 5 pm that I just can't make myself start cooking. We've been eating a lot of pasta and way more restaurant food than we should be. My DH doesn't cook (unless I am REALLY sick). Now more than ever I wish we had family close by!

I relate to all of this....I stopped eating eggs 11 years ago when I got really sick with them during a pregnancy.
I'd been craving hamburgers...and eating them but now food just sounds awful and everything smells..ugh. I'm ok when I'm in the act of eating, but before, right after and in between in nauseous and right now I need to cook for the boys but it sounds impossible....maybe they will be learning to cook tonight...smile.gif

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#15 of 128 Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

OMG that made me laugh! 

I've added battered haddock and cod filets to my list...it has to have tartar sauce with it! YUM! Oh, I also bought *hot* italian sausage today...don't know why but I thought it would taste good in place of meatballs with some spaghetti (which I never eat)! 

I forgot what cravings are like but I'm assuming it's a craving when I can't get a certain food out of my mind and HAVE to have it! 

I did the EXACT same thing today, lol. I have NEVER even eaten a dish like that before. (DH thought I was crazy when I mentioned it)

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#16 of 128 Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Tonight I made what dh named "crap in a bowl" for dinner. I had been thinking about it for hours. It was rice mixed with bean free hormel chili, salsa and cheese all cooked together with tortilla chips to dip.Yum! I thought dh was going to puke looking at it. Unfortunately, now my stomach is all icky (I've had a lot of nausea). Yuck. Hoping it stays down because I don't think it'll taste all that good coming back up. 

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#17 of 128 Old 02-09-2011, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Avgolemono. thumb.gif I just recently discovered how easy this is. I use this recipe but use whole eggs. (because separating eggs is almost always too much effort for me and what am I going to do with whites?) It's lovely. Great for when I'm feeling queasy, and has enough protein and good stuff (homemade stock) that I feel pretty good about eating it.
#18 of 128 Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM

So far no weird cravings or combos here, but with my son I lived of Honey Bunches of Oat (with almonds!), and totally went off onions.  With my daughter, I suddenly started LOVING AND CRAVING mayonnaise, which I have always hated.  And Ovaltine- I had a big thing for Ovaltine.  So we shall see what my body decides it can't live without this time around!

Not sure whether I wish I would crave something healthy like broccoli, or Snicker's bars.  Snickers would be more fun...

SAHM to Matias (3) and Violet (18 mo), and avid homemaker, seamstress, gardener, knitter and cook.
#19 of 128 Old 02-09-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

Tonight I made what dh named "crap in a bowl" for dinner. I had been thinking about it for hours. It was rice mixed with bean free hormel chili, salsa and cheese all cooked together with tortilla chips to dip.Yum! I thought dh was going to puke looking at it. Unfortunately, now my stomach is all icky (I've had a lot of nausea). Yuck. Hoping it stays down because I don't think it'll taste all that good coming back up. 

That's too funny, I used to make chili and eat it with cheese and tortilla chips all the time in college. We still do it. (Leaving out the jarred salsa though -- too much vinegar)

#20 of 128 Old 02-09-2011, 02:14 PM

My current craving is for a big glass of chocolate milk with scoops of chocolate ice cream in it. I don't even like chocolate ice cream!

Just like with DD, I am in love with waffles and fresh fruits and veggies. I cant wait until summer when watermelon is here.

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#21 of 128 Old 02-09-2011, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'm craving Marmite with peanut butter on toast!  And kale and chard and spinach, which I also craved with DD.  Lots of aversions.  Too many to count!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#22 of 128 Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Capretta: thanks for posting that Greek lemon soup recipe- it looks great! I will be trying it.  I wanted to mention, if anybody doesn't do eggs, this is another - broth-y yummy and nourishing soup for when nothing goes down (or sounds good but you need energy):  Miso soup. But not the powder stuff.  Buy a thing of miso (at Whole Foods or at an Asian grocery).  (Get the light colored/'white" miso.)  Boil two cups of water on the stove.  Then pour water into a big bowl and add two Tablespoons of miso paste.  Then stir/mash the miso into the water, until it dissolves and you'll have a wonderful, tasty, healthy soup!   For variations or when you can eat more foods- add veggies (mushrooms, spring onions, ..I add Brussel sprouts) to the water- boil it until the veggies are soft enough...then add it all to the miso paste.

So, that is good for when you can't eat anything (but need to) -- which is a feeling I've had only once or twice.

More often, I have been eating like a machine-- it is amazing how much I eat now, and how often!  My DH is a little baffled at how fast his pot of chili disappeared. 

I was concerned about how important it is to have something healthy to grab - since I'm grabbing something every couple hours- and something that fills me up. So i bought some energy bars...but those are expensive  (at the rate I eat them) (and they're kinda loaded with crap too.)  So I found a recipe to make a whole bunch of energy bars...and now I have them on hand- in my purse, in my car...i don't leave home with out a couple....I have been stuck in traffic without my two hour fix and it wasn't pretty.

Here is the recipe for what I think are going to be my staple food for a while:  Almond Power Bars

I made it tonight- didn't add the chocolate (because then I'd eat the whole pan in one sitting) (and I don't need the caffeine/sugar)  but omg these are so so good....I will be making them once a week....I hope somebody finds it useful!

Lisa, living in Asheville, NC, married to my best friend for 7 years partners.gif, remembering our angel in heaven angel1.gif, having so much fun raising our DS (10/10/11) thumb.gif and so excited to meet our new baby this October blush.gif !

#23 of 128 Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 AM

No cravings so far, but lots of things I usually like look gross.  Most noticable are tomato sauces and ketsup.  I'm fine with fresh tomatoes and salsa, but something about sauces just grosses me out.  I'm going out for indian tomorrow, I will be kind of bummed if my old standbys aren't tasty. 

Social working mommy to babygirl.gif 10/10/11, three cats, and a dog.

#24 of 128 Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

starling: For a few weeks I was eating vegemite sandwiches every day. Now I've completely lost my taste for it. Never tried it with peanut butter, but then I don't eat much peanut butter.

eljay: Those bars look good. I was looking for something like that (protein that I could keep in my purse). I bought some bars at the supermarket (chocolate-covered, carmel-flavored, based mostly on powdered dairy) that work, but eating them is not a pleasant experience. orngtongue.gif

#25 of 128 Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 AM

I was getting ready to eat a leftover pork chop for lunch one day when I spotted two big pancakes sitting on a plate leftover from the kids' breakfast. In that moment, I knew that I HAD to include those in my lunch. That's how I discovered the deliciousness of a pork chop and pancake sandwich.

Other than that, it's not anything weird, just strange to me that I don't crave chocolate or sweets as I normally would. Spicy and salty foods are what I want now. Firecracker shrimp, asparagus with toasted pecans, spicy curry noodles.... those are the best things ever to me at the moment.
#26 of 128 Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 AM

I'm getting pretty ticked off, because any food I get a craving for makes me nauseous, but stuff that sounds awful goes down fine.

Today was the first morning I woke up feeling pukey. I waited for it to pass, then ate the breakfast sandwich my hubs made me - now I hate life. Why am I craving stuff that makes me sick?

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#27 of 128 Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 AM

Yay, I found some healthy protein stuff that I can actually stomach! New lunch favorite: whole wheat toast with a thick layer of refried beans. And my new favorite breakfast: full fat cottage cheese (I've lost 4 pounds so far, I need to reign that in a bit) with a banana sliced up in it. Easy on the tummy, and oh so good!

#28 of 128 Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Heather: lol.gif Love it! We had pork chops last night, though sadly no leftovers and no pancakes either.

AKChix0r: greensad.gif Totally unfair. I have also found that how good/bad something smells is not always well-corollated with how well it will go down.

Iris: OK. I'm adding refried beans and cottage cheese to the shopping list! yummy.gif
#29 of 128 Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 AM

I just ate 8 tomatoes, 1 onion, 1 lime, 1 bunch of cilantro, 2 jalepenos and a pinch of sea salt (in the form of the most delicious pico de gallo I just made). Omg. Talk about satisfying a craving. Other than fresh salsa, haven't been craving much with the constant low level nausea I've been having. Looking forward to that ending :-)

Jen--mama to beautiful 18 mth old Thatcher (amazing home water birth!), wife, small business owner, lover, dreamer, do-er. Due in October with surprise #2. 
#30 of 128 Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Oh yeah. I called my DH yesterday at work and asked him to please go get me Frozen French fries to cook at home. He also brought home pizza rolls. I am totally craving crap. I think it is actually the convenience factor of those items my mind finds appealing. we still haven't told the kids I think we will have to soon though. my 7 year old was asking me why I felt bad and why I was only eating some things and not others.

Homeschooling mama to 3 Italian babies. homeschool.gif  Due with #4 on Sept. 28! Planning a rockin' Homebirth. homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page