The baby name thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 121 Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

IF it is a boy, it will probably be Theodore Edward, but he will be called Theo. (though I could see calling him Teddy Bear on occasion to)

I like Everly, it is pretty

As for Harrison, my only thing - and it is just me - I like to be able to shorten a name if I want, and Harrison is really only shortened to Harry I think. Some people like names that cannot be shortened. My parents picked my sister's name - Chantelle - for that very reason, nevertheless, she now goes by Telly (but we refuse to call her that! LOL)

Kinder, I wish I felt as definite as you! I have no clear idea of the gender. Two of my cousins both have daughters named Carly (one is Karly) they are both on my dad's side of the family. It is a cute name though!

Alliteration with names can be cute or not - my dad and his brothers are Tim, Tom, and Ted. Their sisters didn't get the memo - Cristina and Penny - my Uncle Tim's sons are Jason and Jeremy. My aunt Cris named her son Thomas Timothy after her brothers . . . my mom's sister named her girls Brittany, Brandi, and Brianna. We chose to NOT name DS Brandon because we felt there were enough BR- names in the family! - do whatever works for you though, if  you find a name you love that starts with K; but don't discount a name you love just because it doesn't.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#62 of 121 Old 02-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Baby is named already either way. Boy= Lucian Gunther(Man of light, warrior)

Girl= Serenity Noelle(I had a dream and her name was revealed to me. When I woke and shared with Brian he loved it. This is also how we named Epiphany.)

Wendy,loving wife to Brian, happy mama of Trinity(15), Christian(15), Gavin(13), Logan(11), Griffon(9),Jubilee(7), Epiphany (4), and Lucian Danger( born 18 April 12) <3
#63 of 121 Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I love Harrison Mitchell. Or Mitchell Harrison. I love Daniel, too. But the boy "A" names are overdone right now as a fallout from so many Aidens we all know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akind1 View Post

As for Harrison, my only thing - and it is just me - I like to be able to shorten a name if I want, and Harrison is really only shortened to Harry I think. Some people like names that cannot be shortened. My parents picked my sister's name - Chantelle - for that very reason, nevertheless, she now goes by Telly (but we refuse to call her that! LOL)

Thanks for the input ladies. Philomom, my dad is Daniel, and DH's initials are ADB, which is why I'm leaning towards A names with Daniel as a middle name for a boy. I think it would be neat for father and son to share initials since we don't want a junior. I totally agree on the popularity of 'A' names though. Dilemma!

akind1- We are anti-Harry and know if we choose this name, we will have to stand our ground with that. I feel like Harrison is a bit too long and formal, so we've agreed on using Harris in the everyday. But I'm still not 100% sold on it.

Ahhhhh maybe it will just be a girl and I won't have to worry! 

#64 of 121 Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 PM

Mama brown I love the name Eden, as you can tell from my siggy! (and my dh's last name is Brown, btw... weird)

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#65 of 121 Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I like Ynez (or Ines, but I think having a y and a z in your name is neat). We had picked out Alba (which means dawn in Italian) for a girl last time, but we had a boy. Also like Serafin because that is my great great grandmother's middle name.

It's a struggle with a boy right now. Wyeth, but DH isn't as fond. Luca is one I like, but in the states it's a girl's name. So I'm with the other poster who said probably Thomas, Percy, Henry, Gordon or Cranky.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
#66 of 121 Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

So probably Thomas, Percy, Henry, Gordon or Cranky.

lol.gif

We are hoping off the name train for now. We haven't discussed it in weeks and I think we'll probably take that discussion off the table until we find out the gender. So much easier that way!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#67 of 121 Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 PM

we named DS when he was 3 days old, a name we hadn't even had on our list. We named DD when she was 2 weeks old (much to everyone's annoyance). I just know how we are- unlikely to feel a strong conviction of a name until we meet the little one (actually I DID have it with DD, but thought we'd agreed on another name for a possible girl, and didn't say anything about it until she was born, at which point DH said he didn't like it, and much disagreeing ensued, and it took 2 weeks for him to say that I could name her whatever I wanted).

Was kind of thinking about my husband's grandmother's name for a girl: Letha. (pronounced Lee-tha) But then I don't know... its a version of the name Lethe, which in Greek mythology is the river of forgetting/oblivion in Hades, that is kind of a downer of a name! Root for words like lethal, lethargy.

dissertating mom to three

#68 of 121 Old 03-09-2011, 09:51 AM

I really like James Jonathan for a boy, but DH won't let me call him Jamie (says it's too feminine) and I don't like James (for a little kid), Jim/Jimmy or JJ...so I'm thinking it'll be a no. I'm also liking Caleb Paul right now. DH is "eh" about it.

For a girl - Rebekah Kathleen and Hannah Joy. DH likes Rebekah, but not Kathleen so much...and he's not big at all on Hannah (or Joy).

DH really doesn't want to talk names with me at all, and I'm sure I'll change my mind 1000 times between now and October. We won't find out the gender, so we'll probably try to find 2 girls names and 2 boys names that we like, then use whichever fits the little one the best.

Wife to my hubby and SAHM to two boys -  DS1 (2) and DS2 (newborn).  Forever missing our three angels in Heaven. 

#69 of 121 Old 03-09-2011, 02:26 PM

We are liking the name Eliza right now a lot. Maybe with Maureen as a middle name after my aunt....

Some boys names in the running right now are Owen, Emmet and Padraig. I think Padraig is my fave. DH likes Elliot but I don't love it.

Our list will likely change quite a bit over the months... it will be interesting to see which ones stay on the list!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#70 of 121 Old 03-09-2011, 04:15 PM

We haven't yet started contemplating names.  Last time around we did not tell anyone the name ahead of time because we didn't want anyone to know if it was a boy or girl (even though DH and I knew).  That's actually where my username "not_telling" comes from...picked it when I joined the July 2008 DDC.

StephandOwen: Charlie was actually one of our top picks for a girl last time around.  I don't know if it will be now, mostly cuz an old childhood friend named his daughter that.  Which shouldn't matter, especially since we never see each other and are seldom in touch.  I don't know...

I was really into August for a boy last time, but DH wasn't into it.  Couldn't get past the fact that it's the name of a month.  We ended up going with Aydin for DS.  Aidan was the only name we could agree on for a boy, and then I discovered that it was one of the top boy names....which was a total surprise to me cuz I only knew of two Aidan's and one was already a teenager.  So we looked for an alternative spelling and found Aydin, which is Turkish ("enlightened" "erudite") and has a different meaning than the celtic versions of the name ("little fire").  His middle name is Orion and we may try to give the baby an astronomical middle name, too.

I've also been considering a first name that begins with A, even though I'm usually not into giving siblings names that start with the same letter.  My reasoning is that DS has my last name and the new baby will have DH's last name (this is our alternative to hyphenated last names)...so both kids having A names could be a little "name bond" between them.  (DH and I both have names that start with J).  I love the name Aster (that lovely autumn flower) for a girl, but we're worried about the teasing factor ("ass" "ass turd").  I actually started a thread about this in Parenting and someone wisely pointed out that if someone's gonna tease my kid, it doesn't matter what the name is, they'll find something to pick on.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#71 of 121 Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryS-F View Post

I like Ynez (or Ines, but I think having a y and a z in your name is neat). We had picked out Alba (which means dawn in Italian) for a girl last time, but we had a boy. Also like Serafin because that is my great great grandmother's middle name.

Those are all gorgeous names!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#72 of 121 Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 PM

We haven't even talked about names.  Well, to be fair, we've only knows about Squiggle for 4 days.  With our last baby, she was almost 2 weeks old before we decided on a name and that was only because we had to name her to get a birth certificate and a passport.

#73 of 121 Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM

We chose Lila for a girl, Griffin for a boy. :)

Katico likes this.
#74 of 121 Old 03-09-2011, 08:39 PM

So after a busy grumpy hypoglycemic day yesterday, we had our first pregnant argument.  About names.  My husband is a strong believer in the "question everything" philosophy and I tend more to the "include popular opinion in your considerations" philosophy.  After a bunch of me trying to explain how I like having a known name that people recognize and know how to spell, and that I could look the meaning up in a baby name book and get the same answer no matter what book it was . . . and him trying to explain that a kid might not like their name NO MATTER WHAT you name them, and that people with normal names often give themselves unique nicknames . . . he started arguing for how it might be good to not name the kid at all.  Sigh.  He didn't seem interested in my opinion that a kid with NO NAME might feel a little bit unloved.  Well, that's not fair - he agreed that that was a point against it, but didn't seem to think that it was sufficient reason to actually name the child.

And I think he feels sorry for names that have never existed.  He asked if I feel a little sad for names that can no longer be used, like Lucifer (which, purely as a name, I do actually like, and it means "lightbringer", which I also like, but it would be cruel to actually name a kid that).  I do feel a little sad for those poor names that have been ruined by being attached to the wrong person (or supernatural being).  And then he explained that he feels the same way about the names that have never had a chance to exist - why give more power to an already-existing name, whether it's popular or not (popularity is an automatic exclusion from my name list because I grew up with so many Robins and Jennifers), when you could create a whole new name and give it a chance.

To be honest, I see his point, but personally I would have been sad as a teenager if I tried to figure out what my name meant and it turned out that it was just a collection of phonemes that my parents thought sounded nice together.  I like that my name has an accepted meaning.  So we finally decided that we would name our child (phew!), and that if he comes up with a made-up name that he really likes then I will consider it.  He's not very good at that, though, so I'm hoping just a tiny bit that we'll get to use one of the lovely names on my extensive name list, some of which I think he actually likes too.  And all of which have meanings that I like.  Some of them were chosen more for the meaning than for the sound.

I'm not sure if that rant was what you were looking for!  But I thought I would give some perspective to those who might not agree on names - at least you agree on the desirability of naming at all!

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#75 of 121 Old 03-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Wow hykue, that's pretty intense lol.  Yes it probably is a good idea name the child ROTFLMAO.gif

We have a boys name like I said but the more we talk about girls names...the less we agree oh well.  We won't find out gender, so I want to have both.  Dd's name wasn't on our list and it then dh had a dream about having a girl and naming her what we named dd and that was that.  With our m/c I had a dream that I had a boy and named him what we ended up naming him after we lost him.  Here's hoping we have another dream in the next 7 months!

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#76 of 121 Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 AM

DH and I can agree on only two names for a girl. He tends to like names from OUR generation (Jen, stacey, stephanie, Amanda etc.) I just can't do it! I like older/timeless names. Classy names. And even just odd names. (I like "olivia, sophia, evelyn, Imogene, Lorelei etc.)

The two that we do agree on is Charlotte (I love that I could call her Charlie or Lottie...Lotta, lotte etc.) The other is Coraline-it's a lot like my name though, which could be ubber confusing. And my also expecting younger sister loves that name so we might just let her have it.lol 

My sister also loves "Edith  Calliope"...so she might be using that one. We'll see. 

For the middle name for a girl, it would be Mae, after his mom's middle name. (I really lucked out on that one, I happened to love that name already...and her first name is Dorris. Not quite ready to come back yet.lol) So for a girl it will either be Charlotte Mae, or Coraline Mae.

I already have two boys, Reuben and Zeke. I would have loved to have found something biblical for a girl, but I find that because there are so few female biblical names they tend to be really overused already. (Rachel, Rebecca, Sarah, Miriam etc.)

For boys we can agree on quite a few names. For the middle name it's definitely "irving", (dh's grandpa's name, and his dad's middle name.) For first names we have Asher, Silas, Max (maxwell, i suppose), Caleb, Calvin, Simon, Jake,  Cody, (Buffalo bill was my Dad's great (x5?) uncle...so Cody is a huge family name for us.)

I love Atticus, but i don't know if i'm ballsy enough to use that for a first name. I don't even know what that could be shortened to...

We have a long list though of boys names that we like, so i'm not worried.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#77 of 121 Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 PM

I just have to say that it kind of pisses me off that someone would straight up name their child the same exact thing as someone else, I know that happens sometimes but not when it is something that is very unique and has been mentioned over and over again in my posts. I guess that is probably why I just don't feel connected to this ddc at all and probably won't post here. At least I know that Coraline Mae is my daughters name, and a million people can steal that if they want but it still angers me.

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#78 of 121 Old 03-18-2011, 01:43 PM

I've alreayd been picking names!

Boy, Middle name will be smith..Samuel, Simon, or Ryker

Girl I really like Tegan Marie but I'm so convinced I'm having a boy

#79 of 121 Old 03-18-2011, 04:12 PM

Coraline is a unique name? Its very prettybut it's alsothename of a very very popularmovie.

Mae, family connections aside, seems to be one of this generation's Lynn, Ann, or Marie. A pretty middle name that goeswith everything.

I'm sad you're sad, but I think thishas nothing to do with the other poster and lotto do withbeing sensitive during pregnancy.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#80 of 121 Old 03-18-2011, 06:57 PM

welllll... on name stealing, unless you make up a name, its hard to say for sure where someone got it. I post and read somewhat on the DDC but not constantly and honestly don't remember what other people say they are naming their kids (well, unless I think its particularly silly?)

Names definitely come and go in popularity, for example I do know two Atticus' IRL (5yo and 6mo), as well as a TON of Sophias, several Olivias and an Imogen and Lorelei. I'm pretty sure the "old fashioned/odd" names are making a major comeback, though perhaps that happens where names sort of skip generations? I tried to convince DH to consider Irma (after my great-grandmother) for our DD, but he said, too similar to my name, and (like Dorris) just a little TOO old fashioned. My name (Emma) was WAY weird and old fashioned, at least in the US, even back when my grandmother was a kid, and then it skyrocketed to #1 girls name for many years and is still in the top 5 I believe. Little Emma's abound!

My mom, who is an elementary school teacher, says she has never in all her years had a Susan or Louise (her name), or a Jane... some of the plainer names that have gone out of fashion these days, apparently.

Me, I do like a name that means something... one that was chosen for a reason (even if what it "means" is that it was the name of a beloved family member or friend, a favorite historical person or fictional character, or that it was revealed in a dream or inspiration. Though I was thinking of a family name- as I mentioned in my earlier post- and was a little distressed when I thought about the meaning of the name). I think many people do choose their children's names for reasons they can articulate later, but sometimes not- actually in my family of birth I am the only one with a family name and I think all the other three were just inspirations on the part of the parents

dissertating mom to three

#81 of 121 Old 03-18-2011, 07:06 PM

Hehe.... talk about name stealing..... I've been doing observations in an elementary school for my classes the last couple weeks (and I have 2 more weeks to go). I've been in various classrooms and I totally look over the names and see if any catch my eye. I'm horrible, I know. Zane popped up, and I like that name so it's now on my list.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#82 of 121 Old 03-18-2011, 08:42 PM

Newsflash Coraline is not a unique name!  I know two IRL.  Similarly Mae isn't unique either, it is a very common middle name because it flows so well with a lot of first names. 

#83 of 121 Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 PM

I'm willing to bet Corrabelle never even noticed your sig or posts using the name dosergirl...I know I didn't and I love names and pay attention to them so if they jump out at me as unique I remember them.

Steph when you mentioned about looking for names on the school roster it reminded me of why I went with unique names for my kids. I've been working in daycare since I was 16 and associate certain names with certain kids or personality types. For example my mom loved the name Matthew and wanted me to at least use it for a middle name but I just couldn't because the 2 Matthews I knew from daycare were trouble makers with very dark personalities..so I didn't want to label my kid with that (even though I know its silly). I loved the name Hannah because the most adorable smart little girl I had ever met had that name..but that brings me to the second reason I chose unique names..it was too popular and I am a go against the grain kind of person :P

For this one I am thinking Jataya Joanne (Joanne was my moms name) or Jakia Joanne for a girl and Jakai Elijah for a boy although I am not to set on that.

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#84 of 121 Old 03-19-2011, 02:57 AM

My DS is Lincoln (Linc) and me and DH love his name so much that I doubt we'll find one as good for another little boy.  I've decided that I like last names at first names for boys.  I love Paxton (nickname Pax) but DH vetoed it last time around, so I doubt he'll go for it this time.  I've also been thinking about Mason or Connor, but not in love with those.  Maybe Bailey.  Or Tucker (but my Mom has a cat named Tucker, so that might be weird.)

For girls, I like Hannah or Norah.  Annalie is one of my favorites (pronounced like Natalie, but with Anna instead of Nata), but DH isn't into it.  I love Rae or Layne  as a middle name.  I've also given thought to Susannah Kaye (Susannah for his mother, whose name was Susan; Kaye is my mom's and my middle name).  If we went with Susannah, we'd probably nickname her Anna.  And last night Cassandra (Cassie) popped into my head.  Oh, or Camaryn.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#85 of 121 Old 03-19-2011, 07:12 AM

YAY!!  Finally got a boy name picked out!  :D  So now our baby will be named either Matthew Evan or Meredith Renee!!  <3

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#86 of 121 Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDFanatik View Post

YAY!!  Finally got a boy name picked out!  :D  So now our baby will be named either Matthew Evan or Meredith Renee!!  <3

My DS is Evan Matthew! Those two names go together so well. And I have to compliment your excellent taste in names! wink1.gif

SAHM to DS (11/09) with a little girl coming in October stork-girl.gif familybed1.gif

#87 of 121 Old 03-19-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Love the name picks, Amy Lynn! thumb.gif Congrats on getting it done!

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#88 of 121 Old 03-19-2011, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Amanda ... We love the name Tucker too,  But we worried about the child being called *ucker. 

AFU: It seems like every.single.name we pick either I or my DP can come up with a good reason not to use it.  It doesn't help that I'm a writer, and I've published nine books with a bazillion characters combined, each one of them with a name that I chose very carefully.  I used so many of my favourite names for characters already, I can't use them on our child.  Some of my favourites that I've already used for characters: Zoe, Seth, Eli, Zenith, Celeste, Rebecca, Griffon, Phoenix, April, Saul, Nadia, Simon, Teo, Pierre, Talia, Charis, Simone, among many, many others.  Sigh.  We're stumped for names.  Totally stumped. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#89 of 121 Old 03-19-2011, 12:54 PM

Dude! You're an EMT, a published author (of 9 books!) and a mama? bow.gif
#90 of 121 Old 03-19-2011, 01:53 PM

ha, Ha: my dog's name is Willie Mae... I swear I didn't steal it! :)

Starling: Didn't E have a cute name she liked?  I can't remember what it was but remember thinking it was great!

Dh added Elliot to the list for boys. I repeated it in the ET voice and he siad "are you trying to make me hate it?!" I couldn't help it, it was the first thing I thought of! Doesn't mean I don't like the name though!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page