The baby name thread! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 121 Old 02-05-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought we needed one. orngbiggrin.gif I know it is ridiculously early in the game, but I am an eternal optimist. So here it is: what names are you considering? 

I stink at coming up with names, I like hardly anything, and to complicate matters further DH and I don't see eye to eye on most names. He comes up with names like Patricia and Samantha (no offense to anyone with those names, or with kids with those names!) and that's just really not my thing.

Yesterday I was doing some browsing and combining and I came up with a girl's name that I actually like:

Aelin Therese

Aelin is pronounced "EYE-lin". Therese is "tuh-REZ". 

Aelin comes from the elven language in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, it means "lake". And Therese is the name of my favorite saint (I'm Catholic). What do you think?

(Still working on boy's names, but I have a very strong girl feeling so it doesn't seem like a priority. pinktongue.gif )

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#2 of 121 Old 02-05-2011, 01:34 PM

I think that's pretty, Iris!

We haven't really talked about it yet, but some names I like are - Delaney, Sophia & Liliana for a girl. And Kingston is my favorite for a boy so far. My other boys are Boston and Ashton.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#3 of 121 Old 02-05-2011, 05:48 PM

If it's a boy the middle name will be Neal (dh's middle name and his dad's middle name). Other boy names we've considered- Gavin, Hunter (not my favorite so I don't think we'll use it), Nathaniel, Connor, Ryan. For a girl the first or middle name will be Noelle (dh likes it as an alternative to Neal). Other name choices are Zoe(y), Kylee (Kylie), Serena, Lily.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#4 of 121 Old 02-05-2011, 05:54 PM

Have fun with this...we don't share name ideas with anyone (no offense)...literally no one but DH and I. This makes some friends and family mad or upset, but 1. we take pride in our naming abilities. 2. we don't care about anyone's opinion and inevitably people will tell you how awful a name is that you love, i just don't care. I also don't let people know what I like and don't for the same reason. :) 3. we need to meet our baby before he/she can have a name, the name we pick now, might not fit the person we meet in October. 

was that a total downer ? haha

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#5 of 121 Old 02-05-2011, 07:54 PM

We've been talking about names for a long time. Right now the at the top of the list we have Calvin Root (My mother's maiden name) and Theo. Ok, Theo is at the top of my list, but SO isn't loving it. He thinks it needs to be longer but his sister's ex-husband is Theodore (always called Ted) and I don't like Theodysseus or Thelonius. I have an idea of naming him Hawthorn and using Theo as a nickname.  As for female names, we like Evelyn (my grandmother's name) Pearl, Vivian, Violet, Penelope, Thora and Beatrice. Beatrice is at the top right now.

I had both my children named very early in their pregnancies. I'm a planner like that. But we won't be finding out the gender of this one, so it will have to wait for a name!

Jennifer, mama to two beautiful blessings (ds 3/2000 and dd 9/2002) who are growing and amazing me every day and hoping for another!
#6 of 121 Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 PM

No luck with boys names (thanks to the hubs), but if we have a girl her name will be Meredith Renee.  heartbeat.gif

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#7 of 121 Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Love it! DS would LOVE it if we named the baby Calvin.... he's been obsessed with the Calvin and Hobbes comics for a long time (he has like 6 big Calvin and Hobbes books plus I put a Calvin and Hobbes app on my phone so he gets a daily comic. LOL!

If it's a girl, ds wants us to name it Charlie (from the show "Good Luck Charlie"). lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnmaizy View Post

We've been talking about names for a long time. Right now the at the top of the list we have Calvin Root (My mother's maiden name) and Theo.

#8 of 121 Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 PM

We still have Isaac left over from dd so if its a boy it MIGHT be Isaac but I reserve the right to change my mind winky.gif

For a girl we disagree on a lot of names....I love Annika, dh hates it.  Names that we are also considering are Heidi and Abigail.  But with dd we were on team green and changed our mind on a girls name pretty close to when she was born and picked a middle name (we had absolutely no agreement at all prior to that) on the way to the hospital...

So who knows.  We like more classic names, but we still want to be unique (so Abigail might not happen and for that matter Isaac).

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#9 of 121 Old 02-05-2011, 08:44 PM
~pi

Hooray, names! I am definitely excited about the idea of naming a child again. DS' name is a family name, and although I suggested it and truly love it, it honours DH's family heritage more. This time we're definitely choosing a name that works better in my language (French.)

If it's a boy, I am thinking Xavier, Félix, Lucien or Mattias, and for a girl, Geneviève, Simone, Mireille, Béatrice, Élodie or Vivienne.

Aelin Therese is lovely pebGSZEU0wdhOoq7UcJvyVTnvtPRXR8SvrNdif2RoHbxYWLdblEogkaoJqIKOChwtRzVvdQNBzK7wSNKTWrtRet5WW3yLJs6af7MP-Y05RaeHzSMqksthough personally, I would either put the accents on Thérèse or else spell it the English way (Theresa.) JMHO.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#10 of 121 Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have NO idea right now.

With ds we had a boy's name picked out for years so when we found out he was a boy we had nothing left to discuss.

I like my grandmother's name - dh doesn't. He likes his late father's name & I despise it.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#11 of 121 Old 02-06-2011, 05:05 AM

No idea really. He's started a list. I'm still trying to get over the sense of disbelief that I'm actually pregnant! I can't even think of names yet. I do have ONE name for a boy that came to me in a very vivid dream. I'm pretty certain I'm going to have a boy. I really want to give him the name from the dream that started the series of events that led to his conception but DH says no! Who knows. He said no way to the last two girl names I liked but ultimately they were the names we gave our daughters so I'm still working on him! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#12 of 121 Old 02-06-2011, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi View Post

I would either put the accents on Thérèse or else spell it the English way (Theresa.) JMHO.

That's what I wanted but I couldn't figure out how to get the accents on the e's! Stupid, I know. I can do it on a European keyboard, but not on this one lol.

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#13 of 121 Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM

I know that this is likely to change regularly. Some of these are names left over from DD.

Girl: Violet (my Gma's name), Hazel, Sylvia, Beatrice (after my aunt) 

Boy: We like James for a middle name (after my uncle and DH's dad), Rowan....   I have a harder time coming up with boys names I like.

I see we have similar tastes Maxnmaizy!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#14 of 121 Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 AM

No ideas yet, and I'm cool with that.
I think we'll be one of those families with an unnamed baby for awhile.
It takes us months to name our pets.
SimpleLove likes this.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#15 of 121 Old 02-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

I know that this is likely to change regularly. Some of these are names left over from DD.

Boy: We like James for a middle name (after my uncle and DH's dad), Rowan....   I have a harder time coming up with boys names I like.

Yep! And my honey's name is James, which I would happily use, but he is not into it. His middle name is Vincent and he's always wanted to name his baby that. Vincent is an absolute no for me though.

Jennifer, mama to two beautiful blessings (ds 3/2000 and dd 9/2002) who are growing and amazing me every day and hoping for another!
#16 of 121 Old 02-06-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

I didn't name my ds until he was a day old and the hospital was threatening not to release him unless I named him lol.gif Throughout the whole pregnancy I just told everyone who asked that his name would be "Moon Rocket". There were certain people who were very nervous that I was serious (I was a young mom at the time and I think that played into it). A couple weeks before ds was born my mom sat me down and was very serious and told me I needed to pick a name because "My first grandchild will not be named Moon Rocket!". LOL!

I told dh we need to think of another fun name this time for when people start asking. I would like to not tell anyone the name until the baby is born.

#17 of 121 Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post

No idea really. He's started a list. I'm still trying to get over the sense of disbelief that I'm actually pregnant! I can't even think of names yet. I do have ONE name for a boy that came to me in a very vivid dream. I'm pretty certain I'm going to have a boy. I really want to give him the name from the dream that started the series of events that led to his conception but DH says no! Who knows. He said no way to the last two girl names I liked but ultimately they were the names we gave our daughters so I'm still working on him! 

Dd is named after a dream.  Dh had a very vivid dream that we had a girl and we named her after the dream.  I had a similar dream with our miscarriage and that's where his name came from.  

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#18 of 121 Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I had a dream in my early twenties where I was walking through along a path through a dense forest, towards the bright meadow ahead, and I was with my DP (didn't know it then and hadn't met her) and I was carrying a blonde little boy called Solace.  I would love to name this one Solace, if he is a boy, although I'm not sure a kid would want to be called Solace.  Maybe Sol?  We have a million names, either way.  I'm a writer, and I've used up many of my most favourite names on characters that are in published books, so can't use those. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#19 of 121 Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 PM

I went to HS with a boy named Solany, nickname, Sol.  Cool Guy. 

#20 of 121 Old 02-06-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

I didn't name my ds until he was a day old and the hospital was threatening not to release him unless I named him lol.gif Throughout the whole pregnancy I just told everyone who asked that his name would be "Moon Rocket". There were certain people who were very nervous that I was serious (I was a young mom at the time and I think that played into it). A couple weeks before ds was born my mom sat me down and was very serious and told me I needed to pick a name because "My first grandchild will not be named Moon Rocket!". LOL!

I told dh we need to think of another fun name this time for when people start asking. I would like to not tell anyone the name until the baby is born.

As a midwife, I'd had babies unnamed as late as 8 weeks. 

My husband and I - our names rhyme - so any baby has to rhyme too, of course.  They has led to any number of fake names.  Current favorite: Cain, the biblical murderer.  Or Dwayne, after The Rock.  Or Payne, after Major, the movie.  Or Strange, after the type of acid we dropped at conception. 

Snowflower likes this.

#21 of 121 Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 PM

I think we will go with Presley for a girl(which will lead to a lot of Elvis questions) and Clark for a boy. I'm not sure on middle names though. Possibly Clark Joseph(like Superman), but no ideas for a girl one yet.

joy.gif:Mommy to Lennon Elizabeth 11/27/09 and somebody new, due 10/08joy.gif:

#22 of 121 Old 02-07-2011, 04:21 AM

Girl:  Alessandra Juliet (not sure about the middle name b/c it makes it so long.  Our last name has only 2 syllables though  Any thoughts?)

Boy:  Jude Mateo

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#23 of 121 Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

With a four-syllable first name I love a one-syllable middle name. It sound so melodic for some reason. How about:

Alessandra Page

Alessandra Mae

Alessandra Dove

and of course these two, although they are horribly popular at the moment (the middle names I mean):

Alessandra Rose

Alessandra Grace

#24 of 121 Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

With a four-syllable first name I love a one-syllable middle name. It sound so melodic for some reason. How about:

Alessandra Page

Alessandra Mae

Alessandra Dove

and of course these two, although they are horribly popular at the moment (the middle names I mean):

Alessandra Rose

Alessandra Grace

Yeah, I agree the one syllable sounds best.  Do you know any that are more latin sounding but don't end in "a" or "s" (our last name ends in "s")

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#25 of 121 Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKislandgirl View Post

My DS's name is Rowan James. :) You have good taste. James is a family name. We liked Rowan for a first name, and then it turned out to be the sign on the celtic zodiac for the time he was born and I had a dream about at tree with red berries the night before the u/s that showed he was a boy.

For the new one, we have a list of boy and girl names, but nothing's decided for sure. For a girl, we'd probably use Jane as a middle name to honor my late mom. Girl first names I like are Ginger, Isla (eye-la), and Serafin (would probably call her Finn). For a boy, we don't have a middle name yet, but we both like the first name Declan.

#26 of 121 Old 02-07-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

DS's name is Rowan James. :) You have good taste. James is a family name. We liked Rowan for a first name, and then it turned out to be the sign on the celtic zodiac for the time he was born and I had a dream about at tree with red berries the night before the u/s that showed he was a boy.

I like the story behind the name!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#27 of 121 Old 02-07-2011, 02:36 PM

We have 0 boy names, but for a girl (and I think this is a girl) we like Lila, Nora or Iris.  Anybody have a favorite between these three?

#28 of 121 Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeceStar View Post

We have 0 boy names, but for a girl (and I think this is a girl) we like Lila, Nora or Iris.  Anybody have a favorite between these three?

Lila!

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#29 of 121 Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM

I like Nora.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#30 of 121 Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 AM

We have been thinking about names since DS was born.

FWIW, even though we were pretty sure we had DS's name, we chose not to name him at the hospital. They really can't legally keep you for such a silly reason. We finally nailed them down, at least in our state (SC) you have up to a year to officially name your baby. after all the kerfluffle - he was born on a Friday and we discharged Sunday before noon, so the records person was not on staff at the time - we got a VERY apologetic call from the head of records saying of course you don't have to name your baby right away, you have up to a year. I would say, you really are going to tell my insurance company you are keeping him another day because he is unnamed? that is so not going to fly with them. (that and any actual laws or statutes re: naming in your area)

We will likely do the same with this one (not naming before discharge)

For a girl: Norah Lorraine - we just love Norah, and my mom's middle name is Lorraine.

For a boy: Theodore . . .(My dad is Ted, not short for anything so this honors him without being an exact duplicate) but we would call him Theo. Middle names up for grabs are Edward or Lewis. I prefer Lews. DS is Gabriel Lucas, and Iike continuing the "L" theme for middle names, and it honors my grandfather. DS prefers Edward, it honors his grandfather. it would also honor my grandfather - he was Lewis Edward - but I just really like Lewis better. I don't like Edward AT ALL.

At any rate, everyone is predicting this one is a girl, so the boy middle name conflict may not even arise.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page