Older Siblings' Reactions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I know not everyone who has older children is telling them yet but I'm curious what kind of reaction you are getting & how they feel about the new little one.

We started talking about it with ds almost immediately. Everytime we mention he says the baby is hidin' (one of his favourite things to do) & then he tells me the baby is nursin' (another of his favourite things) which in a way is kind of accurate.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We haven't told our guys yet, but they've been asking for a baby for a long time!  I hope they're as well adjusted when reality sets in!

#3 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 AM

We have to wait until after my in laws visit in March (providing I can hide being pregnant) to tell our kids, we don't plan on telling hubby's parents until Easter and 3 year olds aren't exactly great secret keepers. ;)

I can't wait to tell them though, our son is only 2 so he won't really understand but dd is 3.5 and *loves* babies, she is going to be thrilled!

partners.gif Married to an awesome dh for 5 years. energy.gifSweetpea, our honeymoon baby! (06/07), biggrinbounce.gif Little man (04/09), and rolleyes.gif our newest little guy (10/11).

#4 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 10:25 AM

DS is 7 and has been asking for a baby for around 8 months now. We had planned on waiting to tell him until the end of the month (after I go to the dr) but people were already guessing and we really wanted him to be the first to know. So we told him on Friday and he was THRILLED! His birthday is on the 3rd so he's really hoping the baby is born on his birthday. He's too sweet to want to share. He says he'll share his presents and his cake with the baby if it's born on his birthday love.gif For about 8 months now, since he started talking about babies, he's been adamant that I was going to have 2 babies in my belly that were going to be born on his birthday. He was insisting that there would be 2 in there at the same time so that they would keep each other company until they could come out and he could give them hugs. Isn't that too sweet??

DS seems to think that if he talks into my mouth that somehow it will travel down to the baby lol.gif He keeps telling me to open my mouth and then he talks to the baby in it. LOL! Yesterday he accidentally bumped my belly so he says "mama, open your mouth". I did and he said "I'm sorry for the bump, baby!". LOL! He is too cute.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#5 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 11:11 AM

DS (11 yo) and DD (8 yo) are both very happy. They know we've been trying to have a baby for a long time. They like to talk to us about how they are going to help (or not help--diapers) with the babe. They have been very sweet about me feeling queasy and tired and are just the best little sweeties when it comes to nurturing and loving on mama. We talk a lot about names and what is going to happen when the babe comes. They will be getting their own rooms for the first time ever, so that is really exciting to them too!

Jennifer, mama to two beautiful blessings (ds 3/2000 and dd 9/2002) who are growing and amazing me every day and hoping for another!
#6 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 AM

My youngest is still too young to know what I'm talking about. My oldest seems happy about it. He says it will be two baby sisters. lol

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#7 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 12:12 PM
~pi

My older one is coming up on 5, and I suspect he will be very excited (he has been asking for a baby sister and a dog for a couple of years now) but we don't plan to tell him until we are ready for the whole world to know. I am looking forward to telling him when/if it's time to tell more widely.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#8 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 01:37 PM

DS2 hasn't been told yet, but he is already certain that "our baby" is coming in the fall. (A friend's baby is coming in the spring.)

He's also already asked "where Mommy get baby?"

#9 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM

My three boys are really excited. They didn't believe me at first. My middle son has been a bit protective of me. My youngest is really really excited to get to be a big brother and "not" the youngest anymore.

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#10 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 05:16 PM

I'm not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing but DD is only 16 months so she can't understand that I am having a baby. I will of course try explaining to her once i am showing that the baby is my belly and will be coming after her birthday.

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#11 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 PM

I was feeling yucky/pukey in the car today while driving my son. He told me that he thinks this baby is really gonna be here and that before when I was pg with the miscarriage it didn't seem real to him and he didn't feel ready, but this time feels real! I agreed with his optimism and was so touched that he would discuss that with me. <3

Jennifer, mama to two beautiful blessings (ds 3/2000 and dd 9/2002) who are growing and amazing me every day and hoping for another!
#12 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Mine doesn't know yet (we're waiting for a heartbeat) but she's been asking for a little brother or sister so I think she'll take it well. I hope she does!

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#13 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 09:18 AM

Our little guy, about to turn three, said, "Nope," when we asked him if he wanted a little brother or sister! eyesroll.gif We said he'd be able to tickle and kiss the baby and the baby would laugh. Then he said, "Oh! Ok, I'll tickle the baby and then he can tickle my Darth Vader! It'll be so funny!" I think he'll come around.

Hannah, Wife to R , Mama to Alexander, born 2-15-08,
and Gabriel, born 10-17-11. Ask me about cleft lip and palate!
signcirc1.gif

#14 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 PM

We haven't told DS yet. He'll be 6 this weekend. We'll probably tell in about 2 weeks. However, he's on to us at least on some level. We were at the library today. They have the pregnancy and parenting books in the kids' section. I was looking at the spines of books, but hadn't picked anything up. DS walked right over and plucked a book called "My Mom's Having a Baby" from the shelf. We brought it home, read it, reviewed some stuff about conception and early pregnancy from my maternity nursing textbook, and ended up watching videos of fertilization on the internet. At least he'll have an accurate idea of what's going on when he finds out.

#15 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 06:50 PM

------ 

DS seems to think that if he talks into my mouth that somehow it will travel down to the baby lol.gif He keeps telling me to open my mouth and then he talks to the baby in it. LOL! Yesterday he accidentally bumped my belly so he says "mama, open your mouth". I did and he said "I'm sorry for the bump, baby!". LOL! He is too cute.  

"DS seems to think that if he talks into my mouth that somehow it will travel down to the baby lol.gifHe keeps telling me to open my mouth and then he talks to the baby in it. LOL! Yesterday he accidentally bumped my belly so he says "mama, open your mouth". I did and he said "I'm sorry for the bump, baby!". LOL! He is too cute. "   That so funny and cute!!

I didn't plan on telling my kids till at least 12 weeks but tonight my son was laying on my stomach and said "I hear something like a heartbeat..mom do you have a baby in there?" Since he is my intuative son (he told me I was having a miscarriage when he wasnt aware I was pregnant and I didn't yet know I was miscarrying) I asked him if i did did he think it would be a boy or girl...he said boy...no girl..so I can't rely on that answer..then he said twins..lol. My oldest said "you better not dare have another baby"..he has always wanted to stay an only child so I wasn't surprised by that. So I still haven't really told them..just prepared them a bit by playing what if with them.

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#16 of 17 Old 02-12-2011, 09:56 PM

I told my kids pretty early, since I felt like they deserved to know before I told anyone else.  My 7yo daughter is over-the-moon THRILLED.  She's been asking about babies for at least a year now, and desperately wants a sister.  She won't stop talking about it!!!!  I kind of regret telling her so soon, lol.  Every other second she's hugging my belly, asking a question (especially about when we find out it's a boy or girl, or what size the baby is *Right Now*, etc.), making a statement ("I can't wait until ____!"), or presenting me with things she's found around the house that she would like to give the baby.  She even wants me to start a belly chart like I did last time, stuck to the bathroom wall (I told her no... just not into that this time around!!)

My 5yo son is also excited, and talks about "the new baby" frequently, has already decided it's a girl who will be named Mary, and is asking detailed questions.  Like, exactly where the baby comes out when it is born.  He used to hang around me when I went to the bathroom, he was invited to the homebirth of his brother, but I guess he was too young for all of that to stick with him.  So I had to get out the baby books and show him graphic pictures before he was satisfied.  He does like to know exactly how everything works.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. 

My youngest son is not yet three, so I don't think he fully realizes what we're talking about.  He'll join on board with big brother and big sister and say "Yah.  The new baby!" and stuff like that, but I don't see any comprehension in anything he says.  I think he's in for a shock.  He is STILL a complete mama's boy, and is very clingy and doesn't want daddy or grandma or anyone else to help when mommy is anywhere nearby... I think we'll have some jealousy issues to deal with when the baby is born. 

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#17 of 17 Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My kids are excited. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page