Darn hormones - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-06-2011, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have to write a 2 page paper today for one of my online classes. This paper is supposed to be about what are the biggest environmental and biological risks for those in your community who are thinking about having a baby. In other words- what are the biggest risks associated with having a baby in your community. So I've been researching this and I can't even get any of my paper written. I seriously am just sitting here bawling about it. Kentucky has one of the highest pre-term birth rates. We also are the 6th highest states in mercury in the air (leading to birth defects). We have one of the highest overall pollution rates leading to birth defects. We have the highest rate of smoking (in some Kentucky counties 1 out of every 2 pregnant women smoke! On average, 1 of every 4 pregnant women in Kentucky smoke. The national average is 1 in 10 pregnant women smoke). We also have one of the higher rates of childhood cancer. 

ARGH! Bad time to have to write this paper. Bad, bad time. bawling.gif

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#2 of 7 Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 AM

greensad.gif That definitely doesn't seem like a fun thing to do while newly pregnant..

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#3 of 7 Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 PM

ugh...no fun at all. Try to remind yourself of all of the healthy things you are doing for your little one!

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#4 of 7 Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. Unfortunately I think this class is just going to be the pits for me. When I started this class I was really excited (it's a class on exceptional children). Now that I am pregnant I am less than thrilled.

Today I have to write 2 papers for this class- one on how I would react if I found out I was pregnant with a child with a disability, how I would react if the disability were a surprise at birth and how I would react if my healthy child suddenly aquired a disability through illness or accident. Would the reaction be any different in any of the situations based on the severity of the disability.

The second paper is another paper about how families cope with children who have a disability and how it affects the family.

Seriously?!? ARGH!

Obviously my reaction (and my response paper) is different than a lot of parents will be because my son has autism so I've been in the "special needs world" for almost 6 years now. But still..... that's not something any pregnant woman wants to think about!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#5 of 7 Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 AM

That is poor timing for you..as if we pregnant mamas don't have enough to worry about! Besides those situations are not the type you can really "know" how you will react until you are in them. But it does sound like an interesting class!

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#6 of 7 Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Wow... those are some scary statistics. But yes, I second Earthmamajen! Your little one is lucky to have a mama like you making healthy, natural choices from the very beginning of its life. 

Breastfeeding, delayed/selective vax, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, homebirthing mama to son River 8/10/09 and daughter Austen 10/13/11
mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpg homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#7 of 7 Old 02-10-2011, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

(((HUGS)))

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page