Currently nursing Mommas. Do you plan on weaning? Powering through? Thoughts? Plans? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I tandem nursed my two oldest, now 7 and 5. They were 22 months apart and I nursed DS all through that pg'cy. I did night wean but mostly due to exhaustion and the fact that I knew he was ready. I LOVED tandem nursing!!! I think it went a long way in really cementing the relationship between DS1 and DD. They are best friends to this day. I loved being able to still nurse him since he was all about the boob. He lost a lot of my undivided attention after the baby and I felt like nursing was something I could give him that would keep us close and make him feel like part of the process with the baby... not an outsider looking in. To this day he REMEMBERS weaning (he was 2 1/2) and isn't thrilled about it and I'm really glad he doesn't associate that memory with his sister.

Im nursing my 13 month old DS now and I intend to keep going all through this pg'cy too. These guys will also be 22 months apart. My mw is fully supportive and I'm just extra careful to make sure I'm eating well and taking plenty of vitamins. I'm so glad that they'll be able to share that special bond too and that I won't lose our nursing cuddle time when the new baby comes. We have been night weaning but I actually started that before I knew I was pg just because it was getting out of control (every 30 minutes all night long and then non-stop from 4am on) and neither of us were sleeping.

So, yes, I'm powering through and I'm so excited to tandem nurse again!!! :D 

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#62 of 69 Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I won't be tandem nursing, but not because i don't want to.  I have low supply, and we had to supplement dd with donor milk at the breast using a Lact-Aid nursing system until she was one year old and eating more solids.  So, not likely that I can continue to nurse her and still have enough for the baby.  We'll likely have to supplement again ...

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#63 of 69 Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

No problems with engorgement in the beginning bcs the toddler takes care of that.

Oh, and a HUGE second to that!! I never had to wait for my milk to come in with DD because it was already there. No engorgement. No sore, cracked nipples after birth. It was awesome!! I was actually dreading the early nursing days when DS2 was born since I wasn't nursing already and I hate feeling engorged and sore! It was so much easier nursing DD after remembering with first few weeks with DS1! None of the usual first week issues at all!

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#64 of 69 Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote: Originally posted by theboysmama
Many of your are saying that you have no desire to tandem nurse or don't plan on tandem nursing. What is it that turns you off about it?

Partly supply concerns (I had to supplement DD) and partly just remembering how exhausting it was to be nursing like 40 minutes on, 20 minutes off pretty much constantly for weeks (and then throw pumping in there, it was awful) and not being able to imagine where or when I would fit the other nursling in.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#65 of 69 Old 02-24-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

I am not trying to judge but just wondering why many of you are choosing not to do it. It almost sounds to me like the mom that has never nursed that would say oh I will never nurse my baby when they are THAT old. Sometimes that mom ends up nursing a toddler and sometimes not but they pass judgement before they try it. So I am just curious what it is about tandem nursing that seems so unmanageable?

I don't have any problems with tandem nursing...    I tend to get "touched-out" easily and if I have a 3yo & a newborn bfing at the same time I honestly don't know how well I will take it.  I LOVE breastfeeding, don't get me wrong- I'm just a really private person and I need time alone.  That would be really intense for me and a bit of sensory overload.  If my daughter does end up tandem bfing with the new baby we'll just have to have rules so that I don't lose it and have a mini breakdown (not trying to be dramatic, I've seriously cried before because I just need to be left alone).  So I'm just taking it one day at a time and trying to mentally prepare myself just in case that is what happens. 

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#66 of 69 Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 PM
~pi

I will tandem nurse if DS is still going when the babe arrives. I figure we've already made it well past societal norms (he is coming up on 5yo, we nurse at bedtime and first thing in the morning about 75% of the time) so I had might as well not worry about doing something different now.

Nursing an older kid is lovely in the sense that he can be reasoned with. If I say, "My breasts are hurting a little bit, we can't nurse for very long tonight," he is disappointed, but does not get upset the way he would have when he was 2 or 3. So I am willing to keep going through pregnancy if he still wants to. I've been doing "don't offer, sometimes refuse" for a couple of years now! We shall see what happens when the milk changes.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#67 of 69 Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 PM

My dd and I had made a plan to wean once she turned 4. Well, that just happened and she's kept true to her word! I keep asking her if she's sure, if she feels okay about it and she says she is happy to move on. I am a little shocked. I'm glad we made it to 4 years and that I get to experience a pregnancy without nursing since I nursed ds through dd's pregnancy. :)

#68 of 69 Old 02-25-2011, 03:44 PM

I'm pretty sure we'll be tandem nursing. I want to pick up Adventures in Tandem Nursing. DD might surprise me by weaning during the pregnancy but I HIGHLY DOUBT IT as she is still very much into nursing. We are in the process of night weaning and nursing less and less out and about and more "once we get home" but she nurses no less then 6 times a day at least.  I'm very comfortable with the idea of nursing them both. We'll just see how it goes though.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#69 of 69 Old 02-25-2011, 05:58 PM

Just typed a long post and it got deleted!  Ugh.

Ok, so I didn't want to tandem bc I had supply issues with DS.  I have hormonal probs and had to take fenugreek and pump to stimulate for months and DS didn't gain well from 2-4 mos and 9-12 mos.  I'm worried about the same thing happening with the newborn if I tandem.

I wanted DS to nurse til age 2.  He'll be just about 2 when the baby comes.  He's very attached to the boob, so I don't see him weaning unless my milk dries up during preg.  He still nurses 6-7 times a day.  I think supply has already dropped, bc he is switching sides really often.  He also always plays with the right side while nursing on the left, which I take to mean he's trying to get a better letdown.

I'm attracted to tandeming bc of the benefits for DS nursing longer, the sibling closeness, no sore nips from newborn nursing... but it also sounds really tiring!  At this point, I'm feeling like we'll just see what happens.  I dont' want to commit to weaning or tandeming I guess.  lol.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page