Purchases for baby! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 177 Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

What was wrong with the amby? We borrowed one briefly for DS but nobody liked it.

Making a March 9th sandwich with a Halloween filling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 177 Old 07-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It kinda has corners on the side. Similar to the recalled infantino slings.
The happy hang up is a smooth continuous hammock, like a ring sling.
Several babies were found having shifted the balance if the amby and fallen into those corners., face down. One baby died.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#123 of 177 Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 PM

they had also found that the amby wasn't tied properly so it was sometimes installed plank like and the baby would shift positions and the head would become lower than the rest of the body and they would suffocate in the corner. I believe it was 3 babies that died over the course of several months. I was not impressed at how amby handled the situation either. They continued to sell the hammocks even after the first several death reports. They didn't stop until the law suit was filed. Then there site went down for quite a while without any users manuals or information as to what had happened. Then the recall became official and 3+ months after my request for a replacement part to "fix" the problem my part finally arrived.

I switched to the arms reach cocoon and it has 2 springs so it doesn't have the same problem and it is a bit wider. My dd really liked it and stayed in it for a loooooong time. She never fell out but we did put foam play mats under it just in case. when she started walking we just left the bottom unzipped and she could get out of it on her own. It worked well for us.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#124 of 177 Old 07-16-2011, 11:26 PM

BABY CLOTHES!!  Can you tell we like dinos?? 

268147_2272209131357_1432518943_2675248_8372378_n.jpg

Next paycheck (in 2 weeks) I'm buying a pretty striped gauze wrap for warmer weather :)

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#125 of 177 Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Wow, I *LOVE* those peacenik longies!

I have got to get knitting for this little one... don't know the gender yet, and there's not much time left for knitting.

Our spending during this pregnancy has been more of the "get house projects done before the baby comes" than "buy stuff for baby". Though, when I found an old BRUs gift card in my son's baby book (!), we did go and pick up some binkies for him to give the baby. We have just about everything else we need. The big brother is the one in need of a bed and dresser and rug for his new room!

#126 of 177 Old 07-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Lots of cute stuff in this thread.

I have a question those of you with experience: how much dresser does the sprog really need? I'm looking at something like the IKEA Hemnes 3-drawer or 8-drawer. I'm planning on putting a changing pad on top of that. It seems like there should be room enough for a pad on top of the 3-drawer and a little baby shouldn't have that many clothes. On the other hand, when I look at nursery photos they all seem to have lots of dresser and I will need some place to store all the cloth diapering stuff. What do you think?
#127 of 177 Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM

if you have room I say go for the bigger one. A lot of DD's clothes are bulky... sweaters and longies for example and take a lot of room. In general she just has a lot of clothes. Plus it will be nice to have something they can grow into and not need to make another purchase later. We don't have a great closet though so if you can hang some stuff that may be different.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#128 of 177 Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 PM

We used a dresser that was (I think) 27 or 29" long -- just the right size for a "bassinette mattress" as a changing pad. Two little drawers on top and two big drawers, one on top of the other, below. Room underneath to store the baby bathtub or a box of blankies. For the diapers, covers, and bibs I bought a tall plastic drawers thingy (about 12" wide and 4 feet high) at KMart and put it next to the dresser. that has, I think, 4 deeper drawers and two shallower ones.

J is still using this dresser, with sweaters and church clothes hung up in the closet. It's still plenty roomy enough, but the baby gets it and he gets upgraded to a regular upright dresser, since he's been diaper-free for a while now :)

#129 of 177 Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks Sue and korintherin! I guess we'll go with the bigger one. Sounds like we'll use the space.
#130 of 177 Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM

Oo man I've been coveting a Hemnes grey-brown dresser for like three years.  Maybe this is the time to get one!  Right now we just keep all the babby stuff tossed in the little crib we got.  That's not gonna fly!

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#131 of 177 Old 07-21-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capretta View Post

Thanks Sue and korintherin! I guess we'll go with the bigger one. Sounds like we'll use the space.

I'm going to be the voice of decent here, and say don't feel pressured into getting a bigger dresser! My ds is almost 8 and still doesn't have (or need) a dresser. We have considered one for him, over the years, but it just isn't the right fit for HIM and his personality. Instead, he has one of those big 3 drawer plastic rolling carts in his closet. This holds extra pj's, boxers and socks that currently aren't in use. All of his shirts and pants hang up (too high for him to reach though). Then he has one of these. His has 4 little "shelves" though. When he was younger I would put one complete outfit in each pocket. This worked out perfect for him, because all he had to do was grab everything that was in the pocket and he was ready to go. Because of his autism and sensory issues, fumbling around in drawers and remembering to get everything he needed would have a) driven him nuts and b) made it impossible for him to get dressed and ready to go in the morning without tears. Now that he's older, and we want him to start forming his own outfits and really thinking about what he needs to make a complete outfit, we do it a little different. The top pocket has 4-5 pairs of boxers. The next pocket has 4-5 pairs of shorts. The next pocket has 4-5 shirts. The bottom pocket is currently empty, as he's having issues with socks and won't wear them right now. Now ds knows to grab one item from each pocket, but he's actually forming his own outfits now. The bonus to this set-up, is the rest of his bedroom is clear for bookshelves (he has 3) and a toy shelf since he doesn't have a dresser. thumb.gif

Sunburst has a dresser with 3 drawers (it was dh's when he was a kid). It will also be his changing area. I am undecided on if he will continue to use it as he gets older or if we'll move to a system like we have for ds.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#132 of 177 Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Steph: Thanks for the third opinion! Actually, that sounds similar to what korintherin said. Well, and what Sue said for that matter. Sounds like we can get away with a smaller dresser (or even a set of plastic drawers) IF we have somewhere else to store clothes. There is a small closet in the sprog room... We'll have to decide between the relative values of more floor space and having a nicer piece that can grow with her.

I do like your system of pockets for helping your DS pick his own outfit. I would like to encourage the sprog to be as independent as possible, so maybe accessibility to a growing child is something else to consider.

ETA: Oh, where did you change your DS? Did you have a changing pad/station?
#133 of 177 Old 09-09-2011, 05:58 PM

BUMP for those who were looking for this thread... and because I wanna see what people are buying!

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#134 of 177 Old 09-09-2011, 08:43 PM

I'm going out to get a diaper bag tomorrow...does that count? (or should I say, dh is..haha.) Also some diaper covers. I have a lot of flats and prefolds, but not very many covers.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#135 of 177 Old 09-10-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinket90 View Post

BUMP for those who were looking for this thread... and because I wanna see what people are buying!

Thank you!!!! ...for the life of me - I looked through 5 pages and could not find this....lol

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#136 of 177 Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 AM

I ot a tummy tub and ergo infant insert on cl for $15 each! Also, got some really cute knitted hats on etsy. Besides the too many baby leg warmers I have bought, that is really all I need. I would really like a peekaru but haven't had any luck finding a used one.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#137 of 177 Old 09-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've been so blessed!   This is our first girl after 7 boys, so people have been gifting us so much!   We've got enough clothes for the baby until she is about 5.   In fact I got so much Newborn to 1 year clothing that I have rehomed some of it :) :)

I've bought her little shirt, a moby wrap and have to order a crib mattress and then we are set :)

#138 of 177 Old 09-10-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

I found a Moby wrap for $15 at a consignment sale recently. Pretty excited about that. I've also been gifted a bunch of stuff which is just so amazing - a tummy tub, a baby hammock, a bunch of wool pants, some cloths, etc. My baby shower is coming up this weekend, so I'm waiting to see after that if there' s anything left that I actually need to buy.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#139 of 177 Old 09-11-2011, 09:31 AM

Gosh, we've accumulated so much more stuff since I last read this thread...   I bought/made a lot more diaper stuff, including used fitteds from diaperswappers, a HUGE stack of secondhand flats from some friends in town, and a few covers.  I really need to sort through the diaper stuff I have and do what I have to do to finish up the stash.  I started making a bunch of fitteds and still have some work to do on that. 

We also got a huge box of hand-me-downs from the cousins, which pretty much makes us set for clothes, but I do occasionally buy something if it's really cute.  We got a car seat.  We got a little bouncer/rocking chair seat thing from my uncle.  I bought muslin swaddle blankets, which are AWESOME (not that I've tried them on an actual baby yet). 

Today I hope to get the dresser I want, and then I'll be ready to have the baby.

#140 of 177 Old 09-12-2011, 02:39 PM

I've picked up a few things here and there but what I'm most excited about is this! The Happy Hangup baby hammock!  We just ordered it this weekend and I can't wait for it to get here!

I've also picked up a tummy tub, a dresser, muslin swaddling blankets, and a few more wooly pieces.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#141 of 177 Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 PM

That hammock is awesome!

I've bought very little for him so far. Since this is our first child and we have families in 2 states as well as a church family (3 showers!) I doubt I'll need to buy much, and I'm trying to wait till after the showers for most of it.

I've bought him a couple of outfits and a ring sling that will fit DH from yard sales. We bought a shelving unit this weekend with gift cards from my first shower. It will stack on top of the dresser we're getting in a couple months, and it's a good stand-in in the meantime.

I can't imagine I'll actually need to buy much after our showers. What I do need, and will probably need to buy, are cotton receiving blankets, the ones with the thermal-type fabric. They were the only thing we liked swaddling our foster babies in, and I hate the swaddling blankets with velcro/snaps/whatever else. Unfortunately, they're TOUGH to find in stores! There are plenty online, but maybe one style in the stores. I'm hoping to use gift cards for that.

Mom to Eli babyboy.gif 10/18/11 and loving wife to Derrin. heartbeat.gif 

Proud to be "that" girl--the crazy bedsharing, sling-wearing, breastfeeding mama everyone

thinks is crazy!

#142 of 177 Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 PM
~pi

I just got three small diaper covers. They are so sweet and tiny and such lovely colours. With DS, we made do with hand-me-downs that were in pretty rough shape until we moved on to ones we bought in medium size. This time, we can afford to get a few things, so this is one of the things I put on the list. I cannot believe we will soon have a small person who fits into these.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#143 of 177 Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

I know! Isn't it exciting?! I was sorting through some clothes last night, thinking the same thing.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#144 of 177 Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 AM

We finally got our huge new double-wide dresser, so now I can sort and wash the baby clothes too!  Yay!

#145 of 177 Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 PM

I bought a few things for next summer and fall already....I know I know.

Anyway here are some of the cuter ones....wahm/sellers pics

rw tress set.JPG

rw shirt.JPG

kyoto koto kimono set toddler sized.jpg

Oh and almost forgot these two tops I bought off etsy at a great deal!

baby sundresses tops 9-12mos apx etsy.jpg

Knitting mama to Crabby Patty and Lovebug .

#146 of 177 Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Love, love, love, love!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythik View Post

I bought a few things for next summer and fall already....I know I know.

Anyway here are some of the cuter ones....

rw tress set.JPG

rw shirt.JPG

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#147 of 177 Old 09-14-2011, 03:58 PM

I just responded to an add for this: $50

8 x-small Motherease Sandy's diapers
9 small all-in-one velcro diapers
5 Motherease airflow covers (medium)
6 Aristocrats pull-on wool diaper covers (small-large...one of them is a longie...great for winter!)
2 other wool pull-on covers
3 velcro wool covers M L XL (Nikky & CYA brands)

All items in good condition from a smoke & pet-free home

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#148 of 177 Old 09-14-2011, 04:09 PM

Jeeeeaaaaaalous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

I just responded to an add for this: $50

8 x-small Motherease Sandy's diapers
9 small all-in-one velcro diapers
5 Motherease airflow covers (medium)
6 Aristocrats pull-on wool diaper covers (small-large...one of them is a longie...great for winter!)
2 other wool pull-on covers
3 velcro wool covers M L XL (Nikky & CYA brands)

All items in good condition from a smoke & pet-free home

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#149 of 177 Old 09-14-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katico View Post

Jeeeeaaaaaalous!

I am still in shock - I never get good deals...lol

#150 of 177 Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

mythik - DROOL.

I wanted this!! lol! I love this set! Too bad our babies are going to be the same age, or I would take it off your hands when your LO outgrew it. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythik View Post

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page