Purchases for baby! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Please tell me I'm not the only crazy in here who has bought something for the belly bean. Someone out there had to start while TTC. (I know I thought about it and probably would have had it taken me longer to get pregnant.)

Anyway, I thought a thread where we could share what we need, want, have and plan to buy for our babies would be fun. Let's see the loot, ladies!

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I bought a 12 pack of these diapers for the bean today. I figure I should get started now to spread out the cost over the whole pregnancy. My next goal is to learn to knit so I can get started on some longies! energy.gif

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#3 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was at the mall on Saturday (weird for me) & thought I might pick something up but didn't end up doing so. We don't really "need" anything so that kind of takes the fun out of it.

I do plan on making a set of smaller prefolds. I only made one size with ds & although they worked they really were ridiculously bulky for the first couple months. So I know I'll get use out of them.

I'll also need some warmer clothes (0-6 months) as we were in Costa Rica for that age with ds & pretty much just dressed him in shirts & diapers.

I'm supposed to get a recliner (heavenly for nursing in) this time around but I suspect a cardio machine may be in the works instead. Sigh.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 05:35 PM

Oooo I've been looking at diapers.  So you're telling me it's actually not too soon to buy a few?  whistling.gif

Also I like to look at baby leg warmers (http://www.babylegs.com/ for example).  They're SO CUTE AHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.  Yeah, maybe I need some, you're right.

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#5 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

twins.gif Yay! I'm not the only one at least thinking about it. lol

I was going to buy some baby stuff at Marshall's today but didn't see anything. It's just the diapers and wool that catch my eye.

What type of covers do you like to use, lifeguard.

What are you thinking you want to use for diapers, yellowdart? Cloth, I assume, since you don't usually shop for sposies. lol

#6 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM

I have kind of a jinx thingy in my head and I'm cash poor from trying to get moved this month....but I've been looking at a few things....
Slings..I already have two on my wish list...I loved my Maya ring sling before and want to try a wrapsody Bali stretch...whoo hoo
I need a jog stroller
I need a new car (damn it) kinda crazy I sold my van and bought a 5 person car last spring as I was a single aging mama with three boys...perfect....lol then this fall I meet and fall in love with a man who's ready to make a baby and suddenly this October we will be a family of 6 with our biggest car seating 5... Ironic smile.gif
My sister is getting married in august and I am a bridesmaid..she's kinda casual she told us each to find a white summer dress any style, they don't need to match...anyway, it's not for baby but I've been trying to find a white maternity dress...
It's been 8 years, I'm not sure what I still own...luckily I have 4 sisters and we were saving my baby stuff for when they had babies...and they have been slow to produce smile.gif ...so, I do have stuff in mom and dads garage....including a full set of good cloth diapers with snaps..can't remember the brand but they were awesome
Also, I really do have a girl feeling....but probably won't ultrasound....I'll be looking at girl clothes though

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#7 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 06:11 PM

Everything baby is 20% off today (ETA: At Kohl's, sorry) with some code they emailed out. I'm hoping not to get sucked in, but I make no promises.

I bought two Dr. Seuss books, and started a registry for the bare essentials - car seat, onesies, pump, and (when I pick one) sling.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#8 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 06:40 PM

How did you start a registry?

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#9 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 07:07 PM

Not yet but that's ONLY because we have almost everything left over from our son & daughter!!  I have already made registries though and I've picked out a birth pool and am building a birth kit!  :D  I don't have much I really need to get though... some bfing supplies, things for my pump that I lost somehow lol, new slings, and maybe some new baby clothes if it's a boy.  My registry has a lot of "want" items like better bottom spray, after birth herbal sitz bath, labor oils, California Baby bath wash & lotions, natural wooden toys, etc. 

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#10 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 PM

I usually buy something for the baby every 2WW, as an intention thing.  It's been 26 cycles.  You do the math...

Since becoming pregnant, I've bought a stroller from Woot! and a onesie that says, "I was born Awesome!"  I bought three fitteds and two covers during this last, successful 2WW. 

You don't have to be ashamed with me. 

I have an amazon registry.  You add a widget on firefox and can add stuff from any website.  It mostly helps me out as a bookmark system.  It's not like I've shared the link with anyone. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#11 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmamajen View Post

A

How did you start a registry?

Amazon.com - they have a feature where you can add stuff from any website. It's great.

Alaskan Wife and Mama to my special little guy ribbluyel.gif (9/13/11) and expecting #2 (2/21/13)!

#12 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post

I usually buy something for the baby every 2WW, as an intention thing.  It's been 26 cycles.  You do the math...

Since becoming pregnant, I've bought a stroller from Woot! and a onesie that says, "I was born Awesome!"  I bought three fitteds and two covers during this last, successful 2WW. 

You don't have to be ashamed with me. 

I have an amazon registry.  You add a widget on firefox and can add stuff from any website.  It mostly helps me out as a bookmark system.  It's not like I've shared the link with anyone. 

I think that's nice. Look at all that stuff you have in preperation for the baby you knew you would get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFanatik View Post

Not yet but that's ONLY because we have almost everything left over from our son & daughter!!  I have already made registries though and I've picked out a birth pool and am building a birth kit!  :D  I don't have much I really need to get though... some bfing supplies, things for my pump that I lost somehow lol, new slings, and maybe some new baby clothes if it's a boy.  My registry has a lot of "want" items like better bottom spray, after birth herbal sitz bath, labor oils, California Baby bath wash & lotions, natural wooden toys, etc. 

Mine too. Unless this is a girl. ;) I have two young boys though so we're basically set on gender neutral type stuff, like clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthmamajen View Post

I have kind of a jinx thingy in my head and I'm cash poor from trying to get moved this month....but I've been looking at a few things....
Slings..I already have two on my wish list...I loved my Maya ring sling before and want to try a wrapsody Bali stretch...whoo hoo
I need a jog stroller
I need a new car (damn it) kinda crazy I sold my van and bought a 5 person car last spring as I was a single aging mama with three boys...perfect....lol then this fall I meet and fall in love with a man who's ready to make a baby and suddenly this October we will be a family of 6 with our biggest car seating 5... Ironic smile.gif
My sister is getting married in august and I am a bridesmaid..she's kinda casual she told us each to find a white summer dress any style, they don't need to match...anyway, it's not for baby but I've been trying to find a white maternity dress...
It's been 8 years, I'm not sure what I still own...luckily I have 4 sisters and we were saving my baby stuff for when they had babies...and they have been slow to produce smile.gif ...so, I do have stuff in mom and dads garage....including a full set of good cloth diapers with snaps..can't remember the brand but they were awesome
Also, I really do have a girl feeling....but probably won't ultrasound....I'll be looking at girl clothes though

Funny how things work sometimes. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKChix0r View Post

Amazon.com - they have a feature where you can add stuff from any website. It's great.

I will have to check this out. I use myregistry and I'm not in love with it.

Anyone want to share their registry? I'll show you mine if you show me yours. lol

#13 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 PM

With my first baby I loved to shop all the time, right from when I got my BFP. She's 2 so we still have every single baby thing we need. It makes things pretty boring! And after being a parent already I feel like I think much more logically/frugally, that also takes the fun out of it. I guess I can work on a nice new cloth diaper collection! The wishlist sounds like a great way to keep track, I'm going to try that.

chicken3.gif     2008.2011.2014      homeschool.gif
#14 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM

I bought all the prefolds while we were ttc plus I have all the yarn for longies, also purchased while ttc.  I have decided not to buy anything until I'm out of the 1st trimester, because I'm being a little superstitious.  I didn't buy anything for baby the month that we concieved so that is feeding into my paranoia lol.

I do need some more hats, cotton and wool but if its a girl dd's clothes will be perfectly on season and we bought all gn newborn stuff as we were on green team and will be on it again, so we should be good.  I am dreaming of a new wrap....but we'll see what dh says about that!  Ooh and I need to buy some baby tshirts to go with the longies....

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#15 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolian View Post

I bought a 12 pack of these diapers for the bean today. I figure I should get started now to spread out the cost over the whole pregnancy. My next goal is to learn to knit so I can get started on some longies! energy.gif

Ooooh love those diapers!  Hmmm I might need some....I'm all about simplicity

And knitting is the best thing ever!  I learned from knittinghelp.com as well as from my mom, but knitting help is awesome!

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
#16 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

What type of covers do you like to use, lifeguard.

We were really happy with these Mommy's Touch one size covers. I got two as shower gifts & then bought 5 more when we got back to Canada. We have the snap closure ones (not a big fan of velcro). I did use them from newborn until we finished with diapers (about 22months & 33lbs) so they are pretty good as one size. He was 8lbs 9oz at birth.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#17 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:

What are you thinking you want to use for diapers, yellowdart? Cloth, I assume, since you don't usually shop for sposies. lol

I thought we'd probably try fitteds and/or prefolds, but we might experiment with some more fancy schmancy ones if it seems like a good idea.  I saw the Jillian's Drawers $10 diaper trial recommended in another DDC.  We wouldn't order those until the baby is here, though. 

#18 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

We were really happy with these Mommy's Touch one size covers. I got two as shower gifts & then bought 5 more when we got back to Canada. We have the snap closure ones (not a big fan of velcro). I did use them from newborn until we finished with diapers (about 22months & 33lbs) so they are pretty good as one size. He was 8lbs 9oz at birth.

I've never tried those before. They look nice. I like our Thirsties covers. But we don't even use those often. Ashton's usually in wool or BG pockets. I want to get some BG AIO's for this baby. They hold a pretty good resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

I thought we'd probably try fitteds and/or prefolds, but we might experiment with some more fancy schmancy ones if it seems like a good idea.  I saw the Jillian's Drawers $10 diaper trial recommended in another DDC.  We wouldn't order those until the baby is here, though. 

I think a trial is a great way to go! I have gone through all kinds of diapers to try to figure out what I like best. Just watch out, it's addictive!

#19 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 09:21 PM

Oh my goodness, yes! I started buying stuff in late summer/early fall. I hit a really great deal on Huggies Pure and Natural diapers (less than $1/pack). I bought around 15 packs I think. I picked up a few baby clothes during that time frame too that were all almost free (coupons plus clearance). Since the BFP I bought 2 outfits on clearance ($3.50 for a 3 piece Mickey outfit and $3 for a Christmas outfit). Then DH and I just ordered 6 outfits off of diapers.com (they are  having a sale plus you can use the coupon code SLICKWIPES for an additional 15% off. If you put something from soap.com in your cart (I did a $1 roll of paper towel) then your whole order gets free shipping). I also ordered a bella band off that website because I can't get my work pants to button up anymore dizzy.gif Fortunately I can pick and choose when to work (I'm a sub para for the school district) so I'm just not working until I get the bella band! LOL! Everything we've bought is gender neutral.

ETA- I also have a huge bag full of baby fabric that I bought a few months ago when Joann's was having a mega sale. Those are all being saved until the summer when I'm done with school and work so I'll have lots of time to sew!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#20 of 177 Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 PM

I thought this baby was going to be cheap since we already have a boy and a girl but they were both spring babies so there are things we are going to need...

I want a baby k'tan this time, and maybe a beco butterfly. I have a 4th gen beco already so I don't know about that though. I think we're going to need a new pack & play because baby will be in our room for quite awhile. I want a new diaper bag too... Lots of wants!

partners.gif Married to an awesome dh for 5 years. energy.gifSweetpea, our honeymoon baby! (06/07), biggrinbounce.gif Little man (04/09), and rolleyes.gif our newest little guy (10/11).

#21 of 177 Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

I need a new diaper bag too. It has to be a messenger style this time so my hands will be free. I'll be way outnumbered now!

#22 of 177 Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 AM

I just realized all the clothes I have stored are for a July newborn. Not gonna work in October! It will be fun to shop for tiny tiny baby clothes again. I'm also going to need a good diaper bag that works for a 3yr old and newborn.

chicken3.gif     2008.2011.2014      homeschool.gif
#23 of 177 Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 AM

What features do you ladies look for in a diaper bag? 

#24 of 177 Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Must be easily cleaned! Must have some pockets for small things (diaper cream, etc) so that they don't get lost in the bottom of the bag. I can't remember what other things were important from when ds was small. I plan on making these.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#25 of 177 Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 PM

We already have a JuJuBe BeChanged that I *love* but it really only hold diapers and wipes. I just like having my own change mat. I always keep a big diaper bag packed with extra clothes for me, baby, other kids, and a ton of other things in the van but I don't want to carry that around with me everywhere.

I want something that kind of looks more like a purse that doesn't scream diaper bag. I probably will just get a large purse, something like this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62712928/mulberry-hempcotton-bag-buttons-n-arrows

partners.gif Married to an awesome dh for 5 years. energy.gifSweetpea, our honeymoon baby! (06/07), biggrinbounce.gif Little man (04/09), and rolleyes.gif our newest little guy (10/11).

#26 of 177 Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've been crazy busy, business wise, but hopefully by the end of the month I will be able to go through what we have and start planning what we need to get  :)  I would probably need to get quite a lot of clothing as my last baby was born in July, and this one is due in Oct....

#27 of 177 Old 02-08-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What features do you ladies look for in a diaper bag? 

Spacious enough to hold everything I want it to (needs to be fairly large if you will be CD'ing a NB/infant and out for any period of time). Bottle pockets/holders (a need if you will use bottle, imo. useful even if not bottle-feeding.). I want one with a longer strap so I can wear it on my back if I want. Um, easily cleanable/washable. Cute. Not Pooh and Tigger (no offense to anyone who has a Pooh and Tigger diaper bag. It's just not my style). Handmade would be a huge plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

Must be easily cleaned! Must have some pockets for small things (diaper cream, etc) so that they don't get lost in the bottom of the bag. I can't remember what other things were important from when ds was small. I plan on making these.

Yes! Little storage pockets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulWife View Post

We already have a JuJuBe BeChanged that I *love* but it really only hold diapers and wipes. I just like having my own change mat. I always keep a big diaper bag packed with extra clothes for me, baby, other kids, and a ton of other things in the van but I don't want to carry that around with me everywhere.

I want something that kind of looks more like a purse that doesn't scream diaper bag. I probably will just get a large purse, something like this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62712928/mulberry-hempcotton-bag-buttons-n-arrows

Pretty! I like that a lot.

#28 of 177 Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Oooo I've been looking at diapers.  So you're telling me it's actually not too soon to buy a few?  whistling.gif

Also I like to look at baby leg warmers (http://www.babylegs.com/ for example).  They're SO CUTE AHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.  Yeah, maybe I need some, you're right.

http://everythingyourmamamade.com/2008/01/21/make-your-own-baby-leg-warmers/ 

You can make your own babylegs with a pair of socks.  I've made a bunch for my daughter and they are TOO CUTE!  Especially if you use cloth diaps.

We don't really need to buy anything for this bean, since we've already got a girl and a boy...BUT, I have already cast on a pair of booties for the bean.  Fun!!

SAHM to Matias (3) and Violet (18 mo), and avid homemaker, seamstress, gardener, knitter and cook.
#29 of 177 Old 02-09-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Awe! I want to be able to knit booties!

#30 of 177 Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM

I bought a NB little boppers fitted diaper and a wool sleep cocoon. We have all the diapers I "need" from DD but I want to add in some fitteds this time around. I'll buy a little here and there. I'll do combination of knit by me longies and wool off of spots or diaper swappers. I'll probably wait to find out gender before doing longies.

If we have a girl I have a TON of clothes. We were given so many hand me downs. I gave half of them away and we still have a ton. If its a boy we'll see what we get as hand me downs and I'll start to shop for baby boy clothes. I pretty much do used kids clothes with a few "special" pieces purchased new.

We plan to get a new double jog stroller. That one is going to hurt the budget. We scored a great one for DD from a friend so didn't have to purchase it. We use it all the time and I know DD just won't be big enough to keep up walking so the double will be needed. We might try to get grandparents in on that.

We have the infant car seat from DD so we won't have to buy that. I haven't really assessed the situation fully but we are pretty minimalist when it comes to baby gear. No swing, saucer, or anything like that. We just don't have the room and I don't like them. We cosleep so we don't need a crib.

The thing I will splurge on and have fun with is woolies! I make hand painted t-shirts so I'll do some special ones for baby and probably buy a few fun ones from other WAHM's too.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page