I feel miserable - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Uggh...Now I remember what my first trimesters are like--miserable! I am constipated, nauseous, and have started gagging and retching. Nothing sounds good to eat, while seeing, thinking, or hearing about most foods makes me feel like I am going to vomit. When I do eat I have to fight back the vomiting, when I don't, I gag, retch, and am severely nauseous. I can feel big lumps in my intestines/bowels. When I am able to poo it is very little, hard, and difficult to eliminate. I am just feeling awful.

I tried psylium which made things much worse (excessive gas and bloating). Now trying prunes, prune juice, lots of fruit, water, walking, and magnesium carbonate. Not much has moved. I just feel like curling up in the fetal position and crying.

SO is thanking me for "taking one for the team". He also brought me flowers, but beyond that feels helpless. Not much he can do. I did tell him he needs to make sure I eat. When I am like this I have a tendency to just lay in bed and not be able to get up and make myself eat which makes everything worse.

Sorry for the whine, but I needed to get it out. Can't imagine feeling like this for another 5 weeks. I do recall that this was a first trimester only thing for me and the 2nd and 3rd are a breeze (except when baby is dancing on my cervix, or playing soccer on my ribs).

Jennifer, mama to two beautiful blessings (ds 3/2000 and dd 9/2002) who are growing and amazing me every day and hoping for another!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 PM

One thing...dunno if it'd help but drinking two emergen-c always makes me loose...too much vitamin c....I don't think it's dangerous....but I guess I don't know for sure...anyone else know?

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

(((HUGS)))

Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 PM

I googled my vitamin c idea and it looks like there could be issues with consistently taking too much...because it will cause diarrhea ...which over a period of time is bad for mom and baby...at least that's what I could see.

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:25 PM

So Sorry! I was feeling pretty awful at first with the constipation - eating TONS of whole grains has helped a lot. I literally have a bunch of different yummy dried fruit & granola cereals from the supermarket with whole grains. I have been eating a rice mix with whole grain rice (eating that with beans when I'm not feeling so hot - I can get it down with some salty chips). Anyway, eating several servings of whole grains throughout the day has helped a lot.

In terms of my nausea (which feels a lot like motion sickness), drinking bubbly water or soda with lemons or limes squeezed in somehow helps. I end up drinking a lot of it. Starting to worry about my tooth enamel! But its keeping me from yacking, so far so good. The other thing that seems to help me is to stay on top of the food. I wake up and eat whole grain cereal with milk & nuts for protein. Even if I can only eat a little bit - it helps. Usually I can eat a little more soon after. It's trying to eat before I'm hungry that's tricky.

Last, I'll say I've been trying the follow the Brewer Diet. I haven't been following perfectly but I think that's understandable given the surge of hormones! Anyway, some people swear by it. I don't know if it's as great as they claim, but the suggestion of the whole grain came from that and like I said, has helped me  A LOT. I can't get as many calories in as they suggest but I'm trying! The diet is super healthy anyway, so it can't hurt!

Are you getting any fluids? Push fluids like mad - any way you can. Suck on ice cubes, popsicles if you can, or drink juice or milk or even gatorade. Might help things move along and anyway with all the sickness you may be dehydrated which will not help things move. I hope you get some relief soon. Have you tried colace or a stool softener? Poor mama! You are in my thoughts, dear.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:39 AM

I second the fluids, drink tons of water. that is a big deal. I get terrible constipation and it stinks for me but metamucil helps me, so sorry it doesn't help you! Prunes, prune juice, fiber and whole grains do nothing for me. Coffee and Chocolate get things moving for me though, maybe try that.

Also when I had to go to the hopsital for constipation during pregnancy with DD, they gave me Colace, which you can take while pregnant. I can't take it because I can't swallow pills, but if you can swallow pills like most people can, you should give that a try.

Good Luck!

If it gets to bad mama, honestly, do an enema, it is gross but you will feel so much better.

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 AM

I have heard that if you drink a big glass of water water (with lemon?) when you wake up it can help with constipation. I think warm water is gross though so I don't know if you could get it down while feeling nauseous..

((hugs)) It won't last forever.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support mamas. I've been drinking tons of water (probably about 8 pints a day, which is 16 8oz. servings). I only eat whole grains, but haven't had much of an appetite for rice or quinoa bc of my pg food aversions. Trying to eat lots of fruit, and forced down a handful of pumpkin seeds before bed. Another friend suggested the vitamin C so I'm trying that today too. Tried having a small cup of my beloved coffee this morning but couldn't do bc of the nausea it induced. Blah!

I know this will pass (literally!), just had to whine. I don't do well suffering silently (ask my so).

Jennifer, mama to two beautiful blessings (ds 3/2000 and dd 9/2002) who are growing and amazing me every day and hoping for another!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:59 AM

I don't suffer well silently either...this is a good place to complain out loud to people who get it. ....I was so stinking nauseous in the night last night...I ate some chocolate chip pancakes this morning...a total stray from my usual no sugar stance...Now I have guilt...but at least momentarily I feel pretty ok smile.gif I bought stuff for a salad with cheese and sunflower seeds and apples for lunch...

Old 02-25-2011, 01:04 PM

My first trimesters are the same way. This one though, is by far the worst. I not only have round the clock nausea made a million times worse by movement, but also have the heartburn, serious body aches, excessive salivation so bad I have to spit constantly, can't hardly eat, loosing weight, fatigue....just so completely miserable that I break down and cry sometimes. Can't take the phenergan b/c it makes me pass out and makes my heart beat irregularly and the other one I'm just not confident in it's safety.

Anyway, I found that apple juice helps. I drank a lot for about 1/2 a day or so and ended up gettting completely cleaned out. Yea, I had to go to the bathroom constantly for like half a day but felt so much better when it was over. I looked up apple juice afterwards and found it was one of nature's cleansers. Hope it helps for you.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:42 PM

I just logged on in hopes of finding someone in the same position as me. I feel like I can't take this discomfort anymore! With my first pregnancy it was nothing like this - I had "morning sickness" for maybe an hour a day. I've never been constipated before but I'm assuming that's what part of this feeling is. I just want to lay down all day everyday. I have a toddler to take care of! I don't even want to nurse her anymore because I'm so uncomfortable no matter how I lay, what I eat, drink, etc. I think I'm about 7 weeks... Hope it passes soon! DH is pretty much like "You asked for this!" haha

chicken3.gif     2008.2011.2014      homeschool.gif
Old 02-25-2011, 04:39 PM

I'm in the same boat, too.... I feel awful almost the whole day everyday.  I take Zofran, which helps with the gagging, but I still feel bloated, gassy, full, uncomfortable, constipated, and SO SO TIRED.  Trying to remind myself that "this too shall pass..."

RN-BSN student mama to my wildchild, DS, 6 bouncy.gif....with twin boys on the way October 4, 2011!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:24 AM

Tell me about it. I feel like I have the flu. I'm tired constantly, my head hurts, I'm nauseated, my belly hurts, my back hurts, my boob hurts, I feel edgy, I feel irritable...and I'm only eight weeks. This is my first pregnancy and feeling like this sucks! I hope it only gets better after the first trimester. Congrats on the baby! :)

Old 02-27-2011, 02:20 PM

Count me in on the miserable.  This next month can't go by fast enough.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm exhausted, nauseated, and severely constipated (Colace didn't work!). And then this weekend I got a hell of a virus--my temp went up to 102 and all my muscles hurt. Tylenol got the fever down, but I've spent all weekend in bed.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 02-27-2011, 02:57 PM

I don't think I'm constipated- though I'm not making as frequent trips to the bathroom as typical so it may be contributing to my ickiness, but I too feel completely miserable.
I'm sorry you ladies feel bad- but feel better knowing I'm not alone!

I am taking unisom and B6 to help with the nausea, but it just barely keeps it manageable- I still frequently feel like I might puke (and still puke some too). I'm not able to drink as much liquid as I think I should since they make me sick. I have short timeframes each day when I can function, but other than that, I'm out for the count. I'm starting a new job and was able to eke out my first day, but I'm pretty nervous as I feel like things are getting worse. I'm only 7.5 weeks- how can I get through 5 more weeks of this?? I feel like I spend the majority of my time wracking my brain for things that sound like I could eat and keep them down. 

I know it will pass- but it cannot pass fast enough! 

The only time I haven't felt sick over the past week+ was when I found out that my boss of only three weeks (from the place where I'm leaving) said that I was "not the right person for the job" and "didn't have the non-profit's best interests at heart". I was so blind with fury that I forgot to be nauseated! So does this mean I'll have to have lies spurted out about me in order to feel OK? Honestly- I might take that at this point...

Ok- that was a blatant full out complaining session! I also don't suffer silently, but I feel like my DH needs a break from hearing me whine!

Let's hope this passes quickly for all of us- or that we find our miracle cure.
Get well soon Alexis! I can't imagine sickness on top of this!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 AM

I've been doing a lot of research and I have come across some new studies that are suggesting that women like us, suffering from HG or extreme morning sickness are in fact infected with H Pylori bacteria and that the bacteria is therefore the cause of our suffering. I actually tested positive for H Pylori 10 yrs ago and was given a month of antibiotics to treat it. My dr didn't follow up with a test to make sure it was gone so I'm not sure it worked. I am going in to the dr this week and I'm going to try to convince my dr to test me for it again. I'm almost convinced that I do have it. It would be interesting to find out if anyone else in our shoes has it as well.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:11 PM

My naturopath has ok'd me to use pgx to help with the nausea-and it's WORKING!! Evenings are still pretty rough, but the rest of the day is much better now. Also, peppermint oil helps quite a bit.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

User Tag List