Over 35 Mamas to be-any extra concerns because of age? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hate it when they refer to me as having "advanced maternal age". But I am 36, and will deliver this baby a week or two after I turn 37, so I guess denying it is pointless.:)

Since it looks like this baby might actually stick, I've found myself overcome with stress about having a baby with a deficit of some kind, or Downs Syndrome. I know all these women say that they wouldn't care, and will be happy with whatever they're given...but I am not sure how I would manage my life with a special needs child.

Anyone else concerned about the extra risks posed simply by being older?

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#2 of 19 Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 AM

I am 37 and will be very close to 38 when this baby comes.  I am not concerned at this stage

(((HUGS)))

#3 of 19 Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 AM

This baby is due on October 7 th and I'll be 40 (gasp) on October 19th...perfect birthday present. I do worry a little, but to be honest I also worried when I had my other kiddos. I KNOW we'd love accept and handle whatever challenges come our way, but that doesn't mean I'm wishing for extra challenges. One thing about me though is that I can't really start worrying about that yet...from now till about 12 weeks I will keep worrying about miscarriage....then I can switch to this, lol. Maybe my brain can one deal with one big worry at a time.
I have thought a few times about what an "old" parent I'll be this time. When this little one is 20 I'll be 60... That kinda blows me outa the water.

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#4 of 19 Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Yes.  I had a high AFP result last time around for Downs and ended up at genetic counseling, trying to figure out whether or not to have an amnio at 18 or 19 weeks.  So this time I am definitely having the nuchal screen test at 12 weeks assuming the pregnancy sticks (I hope!)  I figure it will either give me peace of mind or more time to think through everything.

Is anyone else worried that about having multiples because they're over the magic age of 35?  

What else can I worry about? Ha! 

#5 of 19 Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 AM

I don't think hitting a certain age will all of a sudden mean there are more issues. Sure it goes up but I really don't think there is a magic number.... like all women as soon as they reach 35 are all of a sudden a higher risk then they were the day before.

I am not concerned about my age being a factor but my loss history doesn't make pregnancy a fun ride. Things sometimes happen and I will have to cross that bridge if I reach it. I will not be doing any extensive tests or monitoring my pg closer bcs of my age.

As far as multiples..... that would definately send my dh over the edge, lets hope not:)

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#6 of 19 Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 AM

I have all of you ladies beat... I am 41, and will be 42 when this baby is born (if all goes well, that is). I try not to worry, mostly by telling myself that whatever will happen, is already determined and my worrying is not going to change it. It requires effort, but so far it seems to be working. Whatever it is, special needs, multiples, we will deal with it somehow. 

And I can't help but think that "older mamas" get a bum wrap these days. There is only emphasis on the risks, the negatives, once they realize you are over 35, pregnancy turns from a normal physical condition into a major risk in all aspects. I'm not blind to the increased risks, but by the same token I don't believe I am at death's door simply because I got pregnant. And if I get pregnant at the drop of a hat at age 41, I am obviously not too old to have children. orngbiggrin.gif

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#7 of 19 Old 02-13-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

And if I get pregnant at the drop of a hat at age 41, I am obviously not too old to have children. orngbiggrin.gif

I second that....and just think of all the extra life experience we bring to the table...right? smile.gif

Also, I'm not really facing the whole maternal age scare, my midwife seems to think it's perfectly normal! And I'm not doing any testing that's not specifically needed...partly because I'm not convinced the benefits outweigh the risks and partly because I'm uninsured and would need to come up with the cash :/

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#8 of 19 Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

You ladies are such a blessing! With my loss history, I'm also going to worry until I see the hb...with will hopefully be this Friday! I appreciate knowing I'm not the only mama who is still growing her family at my age, and to hear the calm assuredness in your "voices". I have a health condition that I'm receiving treatment for-(chiro) and it seems to be helping, but I'm still not perfect-and when I have a bad day, I'm essentially bed-ridden. (Rotational vertigo) Which is no fun, but it worries me to think about it with a crawling babe and 2 others at home...and one part time.

I am in excellent health aside from this, (Don't plan on doing any testing for anything.) and have had very easy pregnancies and deliveries with all 3 of my kids-I might not like it that I'm overweight going in to this pregnancy, and am older that I had wanted to be-but I am still able to care for and love a baby...and I am going to believe that my birth with be just as easy-peasy as the others.

Thank you so much mamas!

Marcie

Mother of reading.gif, REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifjammin.gif and babyf.gifborn Oct. 5th after angel.gif  angel.gif angel.gif. Social Media Manager and writer by day, Bloomin' Belly Soap maker by night.

#9 of 19 Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

I have all of you ladies beat... I am 41, and will be 42 when this baby is born (if all goes well, that is). I try not to worry, mostly by telling myself that whatever will happen, is already determined and my worrying is not going to change it. It requires effort, but so far it seems to be working. Whatever it is, special needs, multiples, we will deal with it somehow. 

And I can't help but think that "older mamas" get a bum wrap these days. There is only emphasis on the risks, the negatives, once they realize you are over 35, pregnancy turns from a normal physical condition into a major risk in all aspects. I'm not blind to the increased risks, but by the same token I don't believe I am at death's door simply because I got pregnant. And if I get pregnant at the drop of a hat at age 41, I am obviously not too old to have children. orngbiggrin.gif

I am also in southern Ontario and will be 41 a month before baby comes lol

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#10 of 19 Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Lots of Canada-living mamas! Anyone near Fergus? ;)

#11 of 19 Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 PM

Hmm.... I wonder if it's something in the Ontario water?!    headscratch.gif

~Iris~ Catholic mama to DD1 11/15/05 * DD2 04/28/08 * brokenheart.gif06/23/2010 * and our little rainbow DS 10/07/11 love.gif

#12 of 19 Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 PM

I'm in Hamilton!

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#13 of 19 Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 PM

oh, and earth mama, we share the same birthday!

#14 of 19 Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Visiting from Sept DDC....

I'm 37 now but don't have any worries about this pregnancy due to my age. The biggest worry on my mind is miscarriage. I've not ever had one, but with each baby I have I feel like I'm somehow increasing the chances of miscarrying. Like, odds are, the more pregnancies one has, the more chances they have to suffer a miscarriage. Ya know?

And what's all this about multiples increasing with age?? :p I had no idea. I have intense nausea this time (baby #6), but barely had it during my other pregnancies. Every time I mention that to someone they immediately say "oh! maybe it's twins!" lol I'll go look up those statistics now.....

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#15 of 19 Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 PM
~pi

Gabesgrrrl, I am not there, but my mom's family is from very near Fergus.

As for the question, I am just 35, and I feel fine about it. The risks are slightly higher than when I was 30, but it isn't as if the day you turn 35, bam, the risk shoots up suddenly. If you look at the actual numbers, it isn't really that much different. It's a slow, gradual rise over time, and really, if you're a betting person, you should really put your money on everything being fine, because that continues to be the far more likely outcome.

I will say I am being very diligent about folic acid, but otherwise I am not really thinking about being over 35.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#16 of 19 Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 PM

I was 36 when I conceived my first and 37 when he was born. I am 38 now and hoping to join this ddc (i will know in a week when I test). I wasn't overly concerned and my hospital midwife didn't think anything of it either. I was seeing her for the just in case factor and to get a us at 20 weeks (when i first went to see her) to see where my placenta was. My mother was the biggest headache thinking I would be in so much pain since she was at just 30 yrs when she had me. I had a great birth and from first strong contract to birth only took 4 hours. I contribute that to a lot of visualization, rrl tea, and other good nutrition and exercise. Hopefully in a decade or so, the medical community will see the data on all of us advanced age pregnancies and rethink their position.

radical homemaking/living, homesteading, organic gardening, open minded mama to two amazing little ones 3/2010 and 9/2011 and expecting #3!!!! 5/2013.

#17 of 19 Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrabelle View Post

oh, and earth mama, we share the same birthday!

Yay! I think a baby is a good birthday gift smile.gif

#18 of 19 Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 AM

Isn't it?? My mom's birthday is the 16th, (i was her birthday present, she always said..haha) and my MIL's birthday is oct 3d. I'm due on the 13th. This will be an eventful october!

#19 of 19 Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 AM

sooo here comes concern #1

i have high blood pressure! i had ds @37 and dd a month b4 my 40th, and this babe will be born a month after I turn 42....

this is the only time I have ever had high blood pressure

146/96

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page