Requesting prayers, good vibes..ect - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since I found out I am pregnant the one thing I have been concerned and obsessing about (besides miscarriage) is where and with whom I will give birth. My first 3 were traditional hospital births..made to lay on my back hooked to a monitor and using Nubian (and morphine and sleeping pills!! with my second). My fourth I had a midwife throughout who happened to be off the day I had to go to the hospital and through a mistake in communication I ended up having an OB for the birth. I had a great doula and a wonderful respectful nurse so the labor went well and drug free but when it came time for the birth the arrogant OB insisted I be on my back and cut the cord when I asked for that to be delayed. Now the midwife I had is no longer in the area and I don't care for the other one associated with that hospital so I have been freaking out about what to do. Ideally I would love a home birth but since I am pretty much alone in this I didn't think that could happen. BUT I just found out about a birth center that opened in a city about 45 min from here and read on there website that they have attended home births north of me!! I am so excited..and an acquaintance of mine just had a birth at the birth center and loved it :) So I called..waiting for them to get back to me. I am hoping they can take my insurance..that would be ideal..or that somehow I can afford it..(guess where my tax return will go!) Just the idea that this is a possibility has boosted my mood so much!!

Holly intactlact.giffambedsingle2.giffly-by-nursing1.gifsingle mom to 4.5...hoping for a homebirth.jpg this time.
#2 of 3 Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 AM

FX for you that you will find the ideal care provider / birthing place for yourself, mama!

I am also undecided as to who to use and where to go...

fly-by-nursing2.gif~Amy, Wife to E, Happy Momma to K 4/04, L 11/05, E 8/07, V 1/10, and J 10/11

#3 of 3 Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM

I am right there with you. I used a family doctor with a doula in a hospital for both my previous two births. They were both long, drug-free/natural except the 2nd my water was broke at 6.5cm. I was fine in both, but both sons had meconium they had breathed in and the cord wrapped (which they immediately cut and wisked them away for suctioning/etc.) My first had to be monitored in the nursery for an hour and the 2nd had possible sepsis (from breaking water and meconium?? trama??) and was in NICU for a week.

That being said, I really want a homebirth with a midwife, but not sure who would take me with my babies' histories and the possibility the 3rd would be the same and we would have to rush to ER anyway after birth.

To complicant matters, I don't have maternity insurance coverage, so hoping to pay out of pocket for midwife, but any visit to ER would put us in bankrupcy. DH looking for 2nd FT job with benefits right now to try to cover that 'what if'.

Talking to one of my closest friends mothers (and friend of mine who I admire/respect) who is an excellent midwife tonight to get her advice on whether I should pursue home birth or not and who to go with.

So... right there with you as we face these difficult decisions. Although it is a long way off before birth, the first appt is looming in the upcoming weeks, so it will feel good to get it figured out!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page