Bronchitus symptoms...need natural relief - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I woke up with a low grade fever, burning chest, cough, and achiness all over. Bronchitus has been going around and my husband, son, and another child in my care has had this.

I am currently drinking lots of water, taking 2 Emergen-C a day, trying to rest as much as I can, and I broke down and had a 200 mg of ibuprofen just to be able to move (as I am still working with children today...). Does anyone know any homeopathic or natural remedies for this that is safe for pregnancy? I REALLY need to kick this thing by Saturday as my best friend's blessingway is that day and I am involved in the event.

Thanks in advance!!

#2 of 8 Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM

My naturopath has given me the ok on several homeopathic cough syrups-I have the same kinda thing going on. For the fever, she said to go ahead and take tylenol if it goes over 102. (take two reg strength or two extra strength. But make sure it's JUST tylenol, not "cold and flu" or "sinus relief" etc. She said I shouldn't take aspirin or ibuprofin)

For the cough, there's "drosera", "stodel" and "bronccosin". These are all found in health food stores...but i have no idea where you are so I don't know if that helps.

She also said that elderberry juice does wonders for a chest cold.

I've been using some mentholatum/vicks rub on my chest just to help my breathing-and drinking a really stong mixture of ginger and honey. (Just chop the ginger, add a bit of water and bring it to a boil, then add the honey.) It's spicey stuff so it helps quite a bit.

Do you have a vaporizer? that helps a lot too.

Mama to Reuben (8) and Zeke (7)fencing.gif and baby girl, Lötte babyf.gif
Illustrator/designer of children's media and rubber stamps.  blogging.jpg

#3 of 8 Old 02-16-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the response. Now I feel bad about the ibupophren...at least I only took 200 mg, not the normal 800 I take when feeling lousy. I will head to our natural food store tonight and load up on ginger and some homeo-cough drops. Taking tomorrow off so hopefully my whole family and I can rest and get well! No fun being sick...even more so when pregnant!

#4 of 8 Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Don't beat yourself up, what can you do?  I'm sure you'll be fine. (My last dr. with baby no.2 gave the ok for ibuprofin, apparently studies have changed since then though.)

It's so hard to function like this. While the rest of the house can drug themselves to sleep at night, we're stuck with out any relief.

Last night I was coughing so bad it was making me throw up, I was SERIOUSLY contemplating a shot of whiskey.lol

In the end, I was left to inhaling the fumes off of the "buckley's" cough syrup. Not drinking it, just smelling it. It did help a bit-I just felt really dumb.

#5 of 8 Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 PM

burning chest- maybe Arsenicum Album?? 

cough and achiness all over---usually Bryonia

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#6 of 8 Old 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Here's a totally safe, off the wall treatment, that my naturopath taught me that works, I swear.
Just before bed...get your feet warm...in a bath or soak or whatever. Take a pair of thin cotton socks and get them wet with cold water and ring out. Put them on followed by real wool socks. Climb straight into bed. I don't know why, but it makes you sleep better when you have head cold type symptoms...and hey what have you got to lose.

Jenny-engaged to a wonderful man- mama to 3 rambunctious homeschooling boys, ages 12,10, and 8-doula, knitter, natural food enthusiast, farmer-and expecting number 4 around October 7, 2011 right before I turn 40.
#7 of 8 Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 AM

weird. Never heard of that one! worth trying...

#8 of 8 Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 AM

actually, this reminds me of a really weird treatment my mom tried once. I had a super high fever, and I woke up to my mom putting sliced onions in my socks. Someone told her that it would 'draw the fever out"...lol. I don't even remember if it worked or not.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page