Deodorant making me sick...HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ugh, this happened when i was pregnant with DS.  I can't stand the smell of deodorant.  It makes me want to barf in my already nauseous state.  I was so sick with my first pregnancy that I wouldn't put on deodorant and went like 5 days between showers before I broke down and forced myself to bathe (gross, I know).   BUT, I just CANNOT stand the smell of soap, deodorant, shampoo.....   Anyone have any advice on brands that might not aggravate my morning sickness?  I'm so close to just using lemon juice or baking soda. lol 

#2 of 19 Old 02-20-2011, 05:11 PM

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/03/update-homemade-deoderant.html

I make a variation of this, I use shea butter and cocoa butter as a base vs. coconut oil because I did not have coconut oil the first time I made it. It really just smells like the base, so not much of any smell. 

Luvmykiddos03 and 7Lavendar like this.

Mama to DS (03/09) and DD (10/11) and married to the love of my life

#3 of 19 Old 02-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodge View Post

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2008/03/update-homemade-deoderant.html

I make a variation of this, I use shea butter and cocoa butter as a base vs. coconut oil because I did not have coconut oil the first time I made it. It really just smells like the base, so not much of any smell. 

I was going to suggest the same thing!   Besides the fact that it doesn't have much of a smell, it really works. For me, it works much better (and is cheaper) than the unscented natural brands you can buy.

For soap, what about an unscented bar of Dr. Bronners or similar natural soap?

Luvmykiddos03 likes this.

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#4 of 19 Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 PM

I was about to suggest Dr Bronner's unscented soap, lol.  There's also Cetaphil (sp?) that's really gentle and has no smell.

I use Toms apricot deodorant and it smells soooo nice.  Dove makes a good antiperspirant that is unscented that I use when I don't want a smell.  Maybe go to the store and smell a few things and see what works for you?  A natural health food store might have more unscented or lighter smelling type options.

Amy Lynn, Loving wife stillheart.gifand mom to 3 sweethearts. Christopher (8/06), Katherine (10/08), and Matthew (09/11).  2 time VBAC Momma and NCB & BFing advocate.

#5 of 19 Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Dr. Bronners Baby  Mild unscented has almost no smell at all. Go to a natural store if you can and smell it before buying if you like.  It's a simple castile soap and can be used for hands, body and supposedly hair tho I hear that makes for some tangles.

Good luck staying fresh without getting sick!  Poor thing.

Mama to my beautiful DS bornhomebirth.jpg 11/09 and sweet DD born homebirth.jpg1/12.  angel1.gif Malaika 3/11 (8 wks).  winner.jpgnocirc.gifsaynovax.gifhola.gif

#6 of 19 Old 02-20-2011, 06:37 PM

Thirding the suggestion of Dr. Bronner's Baby Castile - it does have a smell - it smells lightly of clean, light soap.  They have it at Target if you want to smell it in person, but I wouldn't want to brave that section in your state! 

My husband uses unscented BAN or unscented Arm & Hammer because I don't like most anti-persperant smells.  Both DO have a smell, but nothing artificial added on top. 

BAN recently became stronger smelling, so that one is out for me. 

Other than that, I'd suggest washing up with just water and a washcloth.  You can get pretty clean with friction.  There are also dry shampoos that are made of corn starch.  You shake it through and brush it out to remove oil. 

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#7 of 19 Old 02-21-2011, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies!  thumbsup.gif

#8 of 19 Old 02-21-2011, 06:20 AM

http://www.thecrystal.com/crystal_body_deodorant.cfm  

This is what I use because I am allergic to anti persperant I love it! It has no smell and works great for me I use the actual rock one and have had my first one for over a year! 

Mom to energy.gif Lucy Jo 1-06, hbac.gif Samuel Jude 9-09 with belly.gif baby #3 on the way sometime in October! We homeschool.gifnocirc.gifsaynovax.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifwinner.jpg
#9 of 19 Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 AM

I was also going to suggest Tom's apricot. It smells good - and not soap-like. I know what you mean about it all stinking. I hate that. Dry baking soda can help too.

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#10 of 19 Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM

I went to Whole Foods and got a liquid crystal deodorant. You just spray under your arms. I don't think it smells like anything at all, but go to the store - I'm sure they'll let you smell it before you buy it!

#11 of 19 Old 02-21-2011, 05:27 PM

I make my own cold process soap.  All of the basic recipes make soap that is extremely gentle on the skin (no detergents) and can have no added scent (although there is a faint smell just inherent to the ingredients).  I know this isn't a good short term solution for you, since homemade cold process soap takes a month to cure, but in the long term it's a good way to have amazing pure soap at an unbeatable price.  You can also get other people's cold process soap on Etsy and sometimes in local healthy food or craft stores. 

I use Dry Idea unscented gel deodorant.  I can't usually smell it at all. 

heartbeat.gif  Baby girl arrived 10/11/11 heartbeat.gif

#12 of 19 Old 02-21-2011, 08:43 PM

I was going to suggest a crystal deodorant as well.  They don't keep you from sweating, but they're REALLY good at keeping you from stinking, and there's no smell to the product at all.  I've always used a crystal stick that you wet and apply to your underarms.

I'm sorry that I don't have any suggestions for other products you've mentioned!  And I'm sorry that the smell of all those things bothers you so much.  No fun.  :(

SAHM to Melinda (Oct '03), Jacob (Aug '05),  Alex (Apr '08), and baby.gif Malcolm (Sept 29, '11)

#13 of 19 Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 PM

I've been trying to detox my bathroom supplies, so I've been making my own deodorant.  You don't even have to "make" it, actually.  After my shower, I wipe my underarms with rubbing alcohol (I tried skipping this, but then I smell), then smearing on some coconut oil, and then rubbing some baking soda on my skin.  I still sweat a little bit (no more than with my dove antiperspirant though!) but I don't smell like anything except coconut oil. 

I've been using Dr. Bronner's Unscented Baby Mild for shampoo, face soap, hand soap, body wash, and baby shampoo/wash.  It works really well, and the smell is very faint.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#14 of 19 Old 02-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danana View Post

Ugh, this happened when i was pregnant with DS.  I can't stand the smell of deodorant.  It makes me want to barf in my already nauseous state.  I was so sick with my first pregnancy that I wouldn't put on deodorant and went like 5 days between showers before I broke down and forced myself to bathe (gross, I know).   BUT, I just CANNOT stand the smell of soap, deodorant, shampoo.....   Anyone have any advice on brands that might not aggravate my morning sickness?  I'm so close to just using lemon juice or baking soda. lol 

Toms of Maine usually smells ok to me ( I have been called a smell snob on more than one occassion). Lately I have been using a slice of lemon and it seems to do the trick. Our weather has been in the 70's and I've been working outside... if that means anything :)

radical homemaking/living, homesteading, organic gardening, open minded mama to two amazing little ones 3/2010 and 9/2011 and expecting #3!!!! 5/2013.

#15 of 19 Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 PM

I use the same Passionate Homemaker recipe posted above. It works so well! Love it.

For shampoo I do the no--poo method of just washing with baking soda and rinsing with apple cider vinegar. I also love it!

I also make my own cold process soaps and use Dr Bronners.

Hope that helps!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#16 of 19 Old 02-22-2011, 04:44 PM

Crystal stick here too! Amazing stuff, I wouldn't ever use chemicals on my skin anyway as I can't stand the smell even when I'm not pregnant lol. If you do get it though, make sure you apply liberally for like 20 seconds under each arm. It kills the bacteria that create smell so you want to make sure it's all over your arm area. :)

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

#17 of 19 Old 02-25-2011, 11:42 AM

I realize I may be alone here.. But when I was pregnant with my first, I just stopped using deodorant all together. I swear that stuff can actually clog you up and make you worse. I haven't used anything in almost 2 years. I hope a close friend would mention that I stink, but no one has shy.gif

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#18 of 19 Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 PM

http://www.thecrystal.com/

I use the Crystal rock.  No scent and it prevents BO.  

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#19 of 19 Old 02-25-2011, 11:36 PM

I have had hyperemesis in all my pg and Im super sensitive to any fragrances/smells heck at that point even things like light make me puke.  I found that if I shower daily with water and a washcloth that it helped me remain clean but then again in my condition I wasnt exactly running marathons, heck I was lucky to even get out of bed for more than 10 minutes in the whole day. 

I did find that the soap we had been using for the kids (who are super sensitive skin) from whole foods really was great.  Its from their 365 line and its pure glycerin soap.  I have raved on and on about this soap but my kids had literally gone sans soap for years due to all their chemical/fragrance/dye sensitivities compounded by their dry skin.  I found that this soap which is fragrance/dye free is completely odorless and because its glycerin dosent strip your skin like some other soaps (i've found dr bronners to be a little drying myself) the ingredients are like pretty simple saponified oils and glycerin.  They do have other with fragrances the "free" bar is awesome imo

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page